Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 PM   #151
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
He's a lefty!

Well, hell, not like we're bad against lefties either!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 PM   #152
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Last time a team got swept was in '63 when my Terriers swept the Worcester Browns, the only AI team to ever make it to the Classic.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #153
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Congrats, Alan. I shouldn't have bothered making any plans for this Classic. My team didn't even bother to show up.

Your team is truly the most dominant team we have seen in this or any era so far.

Did you really start two players from your AAA? That makes this even more hideously embarassing.

Only for my lineup against lefty pitchers. It ended up only being one of the two though, as I second guessed myself later on. I assume you pitched both Gonzalez and Minami, so would have only been in those games. my right handed bats just absolutely were horrible this year, and I refuse to let someone who hit .204 during the regular season start in this game. Even if the guy from AAA hit .170, it wouldn't be any worse really.. so I took a chance at them actually being a pleasant suprise. I did bring up two guys from AAA though for the series, I wasn't happy at all with some of my lineup this year, that is for sure.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #154
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Award winners:

CL MVP: Joey Higman, Brooklyn
2nd: Rich Lang, Brooklyn
3rd: Rick Inman, Valdosta

RL MVP: Mac Rasmussen, Quad City

2nd: Willie Magner, Boston
3rd: Mauro Suarez, El Paso

CL Pitcher of the Year: Charles Wilson, Valdosta
2nd: Carlos Gonzales, Valdosta
3rd: Whit O'Neal, Valdosta

RL Pitcher of the Year: Craig Davis, Colorado
2nd: Victor Gonzales, Colorado
3rd: Ite Beens, Colorado

CL Rookie of the Year: Danny Todd, Atlanta
2nd: Matt O'Corran, Atlanta
3rd: Bernard Evans, New York

RL Rookie of the Year: Felipe Gonzalez, Hartford

2nd: Victor Gonzalez, Colorado
3rd: Carlton Watkins, Hartford
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #155
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The AI picked all the award winners.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:45 PM   #156
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is packing and uploading now.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #157
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Only for my lineup against lefty pitchers. It ended up only being one of the two though, as I second guessed myself later on. I assume you pitched both Gonzalez and Minami, so would have only been in those games. my right handed bats just absolutely were horrible this year, and I refuse to let someone who hit .204 during the regular season start in this game. Even if the guy from AAA hit .170, it wouldn't be any worse really.. so I took a chance at them actually being a pleasant suprise. I did bring up two guys from AAA though for the series, I wasn't happy at all with some of my lineup this year, that is for sure.

Actually, you won almost 80% of your games against lefties, so I put Minami in the mopup role and went with Goodwin.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #158
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have a feeling Chief will be upset with the RL ROY award again..

Old 08-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #159
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well blame the AI, then. I had nothing to do with it.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #160
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
CL Pitcher of the Year: Charles Wilson, Valdosta
2nd: Carlos Gonzales, Valdosta
3rd: Whit O'Neal, Valdosta

2nd: Victor Gonzales, Colorado
3rd: Ite Beens, Colorado

Well, that's pretty cool.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #161
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Still makes me mad that I think back in '68 I put Davis as my number 1 draft choice using the draft tool, but it picked Ortiz for me instead. (I think that was the one sim where nobody's exports went through). I got Pedro Ortiz in the draft instead, and he is pretty good, but I really wanted Davis with the pick!
graygoose12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #162
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually, you won almost 80% of your games against lefties, so I put Minami in the mopup role and went with Goodwin.

To be honest, I think that stat is skewed because of low sample size or the specific leftys I faced during the season or something.. I honestly feel my team was much more vulnerable to lefty pitchers than rightys this year.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #163
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

A three-peat is astounding stuff, I gotta say. That's how a league this fast has to measure the success of the GM relative to the rest of the league, how many titles/pennants they've won. Because when you play once a week, winning "one" title is theoretically not as difficult, though for those of us who have played here a while, we know better than that.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #164
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well blame the AI, then. I had nothing to do with it.

I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just making a prediction

Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #165
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have a feeling Chief will be upset with the RL ROY award again..

I will reserve judgment until I see what Felipe Gonzalez did. But, yes, you're probably right.

Apparently, POY awards are easy, but blessed mercy, should you try to win the coveted ROY award!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #166
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygoose12 View Post
Still makes me mad that I think back in '68 I put Davis as my number 1 draft choice using the draft tool, but it picked Ortiz for me instead. (I think that was the one sim where nobody's exports went through). I got Pedro Ortiz in the draft instead, and he is pretty good, but I really wanted Davis with the pick!

Michael Jordan/Sam Bowie.

Just say that instead of the exports not going through, the lore is that the GM got fired for making the wrong pick.

Use your imagination.

Ok...I understand. It sucks...
Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #167
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

I am interested to see what happens in Valdosta this offseason. I fully believe that they will find a way to keep most of that team intact, but it's going to be difficult. I only hope I can add a piece or two to challenge for the title next year.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #168
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If it makes you feel any better, I paid a small ransom for him, so I at least did not benefit from the pick snafu (but certainly you did not either).

Old 08-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #169
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I will reserve judgment until I see what Felipe Gonzalez did. But, yes, you're probably right.

Apparently, POY awards are easy, but blessed mercy, should you try to win the coveted ROY award!

The secret to winning the ROY award is to do what I did last season and have someone win it that I didn't even realize was a rookie!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #170
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To be honest, I think that stat is skewed because of low sample size or the specific leftys I faced during the season or something.. I honestly feel my team was much more vulnerable to lefty pitchers than rightys this year.

Perhaps, but Goodwin was better this year anyway. Minami didn't do too well in the CLassic last year either. It was a chance, but it didn't work out anyway.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #171
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am interested to see what happens in Valdosta this offseason. I fully believe that they will find a way to keep most of that team intact, but it's going to be difficult. I only hope I can add a piece or two to challenge for the title next year.

I have a plan in my head ready to run..

Step 1: Hire Tonya Harding

Old 08-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #172
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I will be waiting for Valdosta to fall apart this offseason (or at least come back to Earth a little), because my team will for the most part return intact. My main issue will be replacing Garcia in CF.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #173
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Perhaps, but Goodwin was better this year anyway. Minami didn't do too well in the CLassic last year either. It was a chance, but it didn't work out anyway.

Ahh that is true, I guess in my head I had figured you were going with Minami so just assumed that would be what happened. I still swear that Billy Beane is correct though.. a GM's job is getting their team to the postseason, because whatever happens after that is just plain luck at times.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #174
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, I paid a small ransom for him, so I at least did not benefit from the pick snafu (but certainly you did not either).

I'm not really mad, it's just a game. Ortiz is a pretty good pitcher, but I really had my eyes on Davis back then.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #175
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is at 78%. Just wait another 15 minutes and try it. I'm going to bed. It's a 51.89 MB file.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #176
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's up..
Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #177
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Looks like CF Noah Wakeling is about to become a cap casualty and hit the free agent market. Sigh.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #178
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Looks like CF Noah Wakeling is about to become a cap casualty and hit the free agent market. Sigh.

He is not the only one!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #179
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I am going to keep some of the suprise in tact for people to see which players I let go and which I don't, but I finally decided how to handle the offseason for those interested. I fully do believe that you have to have good pitching to win in this league, I think the past two seasons with Colorado vs Valdosta just goes to back that up as those were the dominant pitching staffs last season (not just starters but also bullpen). Valdosta and Colorado were the only two teams with team pitching below 3.00 (Valdosta 2.87 and Colorado 2.96), and also the only two teams with Oavg below .250 (Valdosta .218 and Colorado .236).

Since I only had $2million available to re-sign players, that clearly wasn't enough to handle the $40million+ worth of possible free agents so I had to make the decision if I valued my potential free agent pitchers Wilson and O'neil more, or valued certain hitters that were not pending free agents more. I feel that I am probably not the best manager in the league, but I am good enough to get the most out of platoons in the field, even if it means losing several allstar hitters I'll make do somehow... I just can't do the same with starting pitching.. if it is a bad starter, it is a bad starter. Not much can be done about that.

So I'll be keeping both Wilson and O'neil, keeping my starting pitching in tact, but there will also be four allstars available from Valdosta on the free agent market this offseason. With there being AI teams around, I absolutely know that there will be very little chance for me to bring them back. So next year I feel my pitching will be just as good as before, but my hitting likely will not be anywhere near as close, and that should make the CL very up for grabs once again for several teams.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #180
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats Alan. Again. Bastard.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #181
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Congrats Alan. Again. Bastard.

HA HA love it