Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2008, 11:49 PM   #151
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Gabriel Prado went 8 innings and gave up 4 earned on 9 hits and struck out 4 for his 4th win of the year, the first in a starting role. As the Firecrackers beat Rio Grande 8-4.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:51 PM   #152
muns
Pro Starter

Neat story there.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:53 PM   #153
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Gabriel Prado went 8 innings and gave up 4 earned on 9 hits and struck out 4 for his 4th win of the year, the first in a starting role. As the Firecrackers beat Rio Grande 8-4.

Awesome, glad to see him end with a win.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #154
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Prado can suck it. We 'booed' him off the field. And when I say we I don't me out fans, I mean out plays, coaching staff, and upper management. Yes, we are sore losers.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #155
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Heh...I was checking out the stats, so didn't get back here to see this. That's really cool. Thanks for doing that, DC.

I hope Baltimore won, so I can still have the higher draft pick.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #156
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It was an...interesting season in Atlanta. Not sure yet what to make of it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #157
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Prado can suck it. We 'booed' him off the field. And when I say we I don't me out fans, I mean out plays, coaching staff, and upper management. Yes, we are sore losers.

HA!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:59 PM   #158
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Was good. My wife picked out "My best friend's girl" which I figured would be some boring snoozefest, but it was pretty funny. I was laughing alot during it.

Looking through the season, i can't complain about my pitching, but on the hitting side, some of the young guys majorly exceeded expectations.. wonder if it is a 1 time fluke or good sign of things to come..

Catcher Jon Davis hit .346 (.882 OPS)
1B Yang-Cheng Yang (yeah I know, great name) hit .277 (.811 OPS)
2B Cary Andrew hit .319 (.872 OPS)
2B Jose Negrete hit .292 (.871 OPS)
SS Kendrick Hayes hit .307 (.756 OPS)
LF Chris Drew hit .304 (.822 OPS)

and ......

Red Headed Stepchild hit .323 (.858 OPS)

I guess the throw everything against the wall and see what sticks approach worked out well.

C Jon Davis- vs righties 94 Con, 86 Gap, 32 power, 42 eye, 65 K....Vs lefties laughable ratings
Pretty decent looking AAA catcher you got there...what's that? he had a 50.6 VORP??? *faints*
Voodoo i swear....VOODOO!!!!

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:59 PM   #159
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Old 09-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #160
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Minor league championships mean nothing. That said, wow, my organization kicked ass. No team under .500. The lowest WP was .537 (Short Season), and my AAA (.654) and AA (.650) dominated.

Sure, some it is major league talent that didn't make the cut. But a lot of it is talent on the way, too (especially at the lower levels).

Old 09-27-2008, 12:02 AM   #161
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

And that is all she wrote for Payton in Rio Grande. Two craps years as a team and he will be entering free agency as he has no desire to extend with us. Good thing I am happy with the young guys lately, but I was hoping I would be able to trade Payton this year since it didn't work out last year.

I wait to see who the winner of his services is.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:03 AM   #162
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

LF Edgardo Reyes is entering his final contract year this next season. He's still very good and he's still available.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:06 AM   #163
magic_number
Mascot

I was not able to export tonight, but I'm sure DC got my team back down from 26 to 25. I was busy elsewhere... see you guys tomorrow.
Those poor, timid spirits
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt - 1899
------------------------------
Compton Brothers (Since 1973)
magic_number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:06 AM   #164
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
C Jon Davis- vs righties 94 Con, 86 Gap, 32 power, 42 eye, 65 K....Vs lefties laughable ratings
Pretty decent looking AAA catcher you got there...what's that? he had a 50.6 VORP??? *faints*
Voodoo i swear....VOODOO!!!!

Id like to think that I can churn out prospects...... I got a million of em, but nobody ever comes to get em..... Alan got him cheaply again......
Old 09-27-2008, 12:06 AM   #165
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

AHHH that looks sweet!!!! Thanks a bunch DC!!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #166
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_number View Post
I was not able to export tonight, but I'm sure DC got my team back down from 26 to 25. I was busy elsewhere... see you guys tomorrow.

Yeah, I took the worst offensive player you had and got you down no worries.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #167
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Id like to think that I can churn out prospects...... I got a million of em, but nobody ever comes to get em..... Alan got him cheaply again......

I think it is safe to say that Davis slightly overachieved.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:12 AM   #168
muns
Pro Starter

OK so im kinda disgusted...... no offense Chief...... But lets just take a look at the guys I was telling people to pick up cause i was cutting them, that chief picked up when my intention was to give em up to the teams that actually needed some young guys.. Not saying you didnt Chief, but you know what i mean... Your a vet you know whats going on

C-Francisco Berru- hits 339 has a VORP of 23.7
2nd-Gilbert jette- hits 317 has a VORP of 25.8
2nd-Terry Harper- hits .399 has a VORP of 26.5

ALL 3 cost less than a MIL COMBINED........

hats off to you my Chief, hope they play like that for you for a while

Last edited by muns : 09-27-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:18 AM   #169
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK so im kinda disgusted...... no offense Chief...... But lets just take a look at the guys I was telling people to pick up cause i was cutting them, that chief picked up when my intention was to give em up to the teams that actually needed some young guys.. Not saying you didnt Chief, but you know what i mean... Your a vet you know whats going on

I can't believe Jette is only 27 years old. I had him forever ago and gave him up in one of many Hartford - Valdosta trades. I feel like half of the team I'm facing this week was my former farm system!

Old 09-27-2008, 12:20 AM   #170
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I had forgotten that Wiley was traded from Toronto to Hartford. I wonder if we'll get a classic Wiley vs Gonzales matchup a few times this series.

Last edited by Alan T : 09-27-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:20 AM   #171
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I don't need offense, I have all I need IMO. I couldn't even get pitching if I offered my wife in the deal though.

And speaking of pitching, the prospect watch is on in Rio Grande, as it seems to be our only hope to ever get some pitchers these days.

#1 overall pick in this last draft, Billy Smith, was put into A ball for his first year and 13-8 with a 2.47 ERA. His ratings seem to have moved up as well. The kid better start moving though, I want him in the bigs in '79, '80 at the latest. Our 2nd pick, Allen O'Dell was also in A ball at only 17, and went 11-10 with a 3.02 ERA. Bigs before he's 20 is his slogan now as well.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #172
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, really, Jette and Harper played well over their heads. Jette didn't improve at all, which I was counting on, so I will still be back looking for a 2B again this offseason. Or I will play one of my many 1B talents at 2B, just to see what happens.

Berru, however, I think is as good as he showed (and Jette and Harper aren't bad--they're just not as good as they showed this year).

Old 09-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #173
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think it is safe to say that Davis slightly overachieved.

lol your right, but i was trying to make a point.

The trade market still isnt where it needs to be. We have one of the best players of all time getting dealt this past offseason in big Mac and DC barley gets a sniff.

You have payton in Rio that barley got a scratch sitting there waiting to be had.

ive had the best farm system in the game for the past 6 years. I cant play everybody, and I have had no PM'S asking if anyone is avaliable......

With your boy there and with KHU that I couldnt give away in a deal that I dealt to DC last year, and with the 3 that chief picked up..... someone somewhere wouldnt have half a bad team to start a rebuid job with.........

thats just me though.......
Old 09-27-2008, 12:23 AM   #174
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't need offense, I have all I need IMO. I couldn't even get pitching if I offered my wife in the deal though.

And speaking of pitching, the prospect watch is on in Rio Grande, as it seems to be our only hope to ever get some pitchers these days.

#1 overall pick in this last draft, Billy Smith, was put into A ball for his first year and 13-8 with a 2.47 ERA. His ratings seem to have moved up as well. The kid better start moving though, I want him in the bigs in '79, '80 at the latest. Our 2nd pick, Allen O'Dell was also in A ball at only 17, and went 11-10 with a 3.02 ERA. Bigs before he's 20 is his slogan now as well.

I was going to make some lude comment regarding being willing to make a trade if your wife was included.. but since I don't know if I know you well enough yet I think I'll hold off on that. I've seen your picture and I don't think I want to be on your bad side!

Old 09-27-2008, 12:23 AM   #175
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

You look to be on your way with them.... Thats not a bad start
Old 09-27-2008, 12:23 AM   #176
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I would have loved to pick up Payton. But I'm not so strong in pitching prospects, and I blew my cap space on Davis. No room for Payton.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #177
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

BTW, Vito Clemente, my 19 year old A ball closer who looks like he is 60, seems to have a history that includes a couple of things from the early 60. I am pretty impressed that he went 5 for 9 with 3 doubles as a 5 year old though.

The other two old looking teenagers I have also have histories from the early 60's. I am guessing OOTP recycled some guys and forgot to clean up their past?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #178
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

End of the season file is officially up now.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #179
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The trade market still isnt where it needs to be. We have one of the best players of all time getting dealt this past offseason in big Mac and DC barley gets a sniff.

You have payton in Rio that barley got a scratch sitting there waiting to be had.

ive had the best farm system in the game for the past 6 years. I cant play everybody, and I have had no PM'S asking if anyone is avaliable......

With your boy there and with KHU that I couldnt give away in a deal that I dealt to DC last year, and with the 3 that chief picked up..... someone somewhere wouldnt have half a bad team to start a rebuid job with.........

To be fair, I would have loved to have Payton and Reyes from Atlanta as well.. I can't afford their salaries. As much as DC likes the new Yankees comparison, I unfortunately don't have an unlimited budget to work with.

I think that is the after effect of teams trying to make a splash in free agency and signing great players at huge amounts of money.. when you later try to deal those players it makes the market for them smaller. Rasmussen is a great player too, but the difference in him vs Payton and Reyes is that he is only 8 mil for this year, which I could afford.

I know what you are saying regarding trading though, and we've chatted in PMs some about it too.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:26 AM   #180
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BTW, Vito Clemente, my 19 year old A ball closer who looks like he is 60, seems to have a history that includes a couple of things from the early 60. I am pretty impressed that he went 5 for 9 with 3 doubles as a 5 year old though.

The other two old looking teenagers I have also have histories from the early 60's. I am guessing OOTP recycled some guys and forgot to clean up their past?

That is an OOTP flaw that has been around for well ever.. That it does not do a good job of clearing out player history before re-using old player numbers.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:26 AM   #181
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

Those always make me laugh.... a 5 year old Hows our one boy DC. that pitcher???? he do alright this year?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:28 AM   #182
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, to be fair, DC tossed him out in the middle of a busy season thread, when none of us (except Alan, apparently) were really thinking about it. Then after a dead Saturday, he dealt Rasmussen away Saturday night.

I mean, kudos to Alan, but I don't really think DC advertised Mac's availability enough, nor did he wait long enough to get more offers. He should have waited until at least after the Classic.

But that's just my opinion. I wouldn't have gone for Mac, since I was trying to trade my own veteran OF in Reyes, not add more OFs. But I'll admit I would have liked to see Mac out there abit longer and more overtly (like in the Trade Block thread) before seeing him move to Valdosta.

Yeah, okay, there's a little jealousy there. Doesn't make it less true.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-27-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #183
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Accomplishments for this season...

Brian Waller of NY and Alan Poole of Compton both shatter Heath Palmer's 16 year old record for hits in a single season, and both also top Palmer's 16 year old record for singles in a season. In both cases, Waller finished on top however with an incredible 244 hits this season. Palmer's prior record was only 217.

Thomas Ewing and Rich Lang both ran over the old record for stolen bases in a single season, previously held by.... Lang. Ewing became the first player to have 100 stolen bases in a season.

Congratulations to:

Rick Inman for his 2500th hit of his career
Felipe Polanco for his 2000th hit of his career
Hideaki Tanaka for his 1500th run scored of his career
Mac Rasmussen for his 1000th RBI of his career
Mel Brooks and Adam Stanley for both getting their 300th Home runs of their career.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:38 AM   #184
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, to be fair, DC tossed him out in the middle of a busy season thread, when none of us (except Alan, apparently) were really thinking about it. Then after a dead Saturday, he dealt Rasmussen away Saturday night.

I mean, kudos to Alan, but I don't really think DC advertised Mac's availability enough, nor did he wait long enough to get more offers. He should have waited until at least after the Classic.

But that's just my opinion. I wouldn't have gone for Mac, since I was trying to trade my own veteran OF in Reyes, not add more OFs. But I'll admit I would have liked to see Mac out there abit longer and more overtly (like in the Trade Block thread) before seeing him move to Valdosta.

Yeah, okay, there's a little jealousy there. Doesn't make it less true.

I only said Mac and Payton cause those were just the 2 that popped up in my head right away....

What Alan said was true about the salaires, but its simple math, you know everyone cant afford them take a look at the financial report, the teams trying to get rid of him, start with a low ball offer and start the talks up........

Ive done the most trading here in FOOL, (i did a report on it), DC was second...... But I know he wouldnt have had any better offers and mine wasnt what he wanted cause I wasnt willing to give him what he wanted which was a young SP, so he went with Alans offer....

I cant blame him for that at all..... but he wouldnt have had a better offer out there, cause there isnt anyone else out there, im willing to bet that he knew it too.

Trading in fool has always historically been bad...... Not to pick on Boston and gstlemeck but that is the prime example...... he would and could have won multiple championships with them if he would have done bigger sized deals than what he was willing to do..... He had the core......

Just stuff to Ponder on

Last edited by muns : 09-27-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #185
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Prado will finish up 94 strikeouts short of 3000 for his career.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #186
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I think I will leave the night with this...

I should have about 20-25 million dollars in free agency this year. Enough to overpay for a pitcher or two if I find any worth overpaying for. Even with Payton walking away I should be ok on offense. Tanaka had a down year and I think he is equal or better next year even at this age. 1B Brooks had his best year yet. Derek O'Cleary as well with 29 HRs, 108 RBI, a career high BA of .291 and a VORP of 34. The young guys, Stewart, Acevedo, and Patterson all did decent this year. Next year might not be so bad if I can get a starter or two, and a MR or four.

I am now off for some sleep. I need to coach soccer 10 hours fro now and after that drive a few hours up the road to pick up our 4th dog overall and 3rd Great Dane. This is a young one though which we are not used to, at 18 months old. We get them from a breeder who shows them, or in this case from a lady who got her form the same breeder to show. We have had a mom and her daughter, and we now add the daughter's grand-daughter. My loyalties run into other things then just fake sports players.

Last edited by Cringer : 09-27-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:42 AM   #187
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, you may be right, since I have also seen this with Reyes.

That said, I was patient in moving only somewhat lesser costly guys in Barajas and Matthews, and I think that helped the deals I ended up making immensely. I understand the desire to jump on a good thing, but I still think there is never any harm in waiting a day or getting the word out more that early in the offseason. The Classic wasn't even played yet, after all.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #188
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looks like Prado will finish up 94 strikeouts short of 3000 for his career.

That's a shame. I just couldn't start him, though. It was a gift just for me to have left him on the MLB roster.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #189
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Hitting across the board appeared to be up this year. For the first time since 1970, both leagues posted an average ERA of 4.00 or higher. The CL had its highest ERA since 1968, and only 5 teams in the league had an ERA under 4.00

Old 09-27-2008, 12:46 AM   #190
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hitting across the board appeared to be up this year. For the first time since 1970, both leagues posted an average ERA of 4.00 or higher. The CL had its highest ERA since 1968, and only 5 teams in the league had an ERA under 4.00

Thats something to keep an eye on.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:46 AM   #191
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, I recommend anyone curious to check out Steve Oliver on my team. .338 AVG, 40 2B, 13 3B, 23 SB to 4 CS, a .925 OPS--and that was in just 382 ABs, and he has another 20 pts to gain in POW). Hellllloooooo superstar!

Old 09-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #192
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'll bet my park helped. It is overall a hitter's park, although not a "power" park (and lefties won't like it so much).

Old 09-27-2008, 12:48 AM   #193
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's a shame. I just couldn't start him, though. It was a gift just for me to have left him on the MLB roster.

I don't fault you at all. Just was checking out the various milestones and saw that. #2 on the all time list Joe Morris seems unlikely to get it either as his arm is about to fall off.

Best bets to reach 3000 Ks seem right now to be John Macdonald of Long Island who needs only 260 more Ks and is currently 33 with a few more miles still left in him, or Carlos Gonzales of Valdosta who needs 444 more Ks and is only 30 years old, and has had 200+ Ks the past 11 seasons consecutively.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:49 AM   #194
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, I think I will leave the night with this...

I should have about 20-25 million dollars in free agency this year. Enough to overpay for a pitcher or two if I find any worth overpaying for. Even with Payton walking away I should be ok on offense. Tanaka had a down year and I think he is equal or better next year even at this age. 1B Brooks had his best year yet. Derek O'Cleary as well with 29 HRs, 108 RBI, a career high BA of .291 and a VORP of 34. The young guys, Stewart, Acevedo, and Patterson all did decent this year. Next year might not be so bad if I can get a starter or two, and a MR or four.

I am now off for some sleep. I need to coach soccer 10 hours fro now and after that drive a few hours up the road to pick up our 4th dog overall and 3rd Great Dane. This is a young one though which we are not used to, at 18 months old. We get them from a breeder who shows them, or in this case from a lady who got her form the same breeder to show. We have had a mom and her daughter, and we now add the daughter's grand-daughter. My loyalties run into other things then just fake sports players.

Good luck with all of that Cringer. Looks like youll have your hands full for a little bit.

on a side note KAOS, take a sip of something and dont drift back into memory lane
Old 09-27-2008, 12:50 AM   #195
muns
Pro Starter

I need some sleep.... night guys... Another fun season, thanks!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 12:50 AM   #196
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BTW, I recommend anyone curious to check out Steve Oliver on my team. .338 AVG, 40 2B, 13 3B, 23 SB to 4 CS, a .925 OPS--and that was in just 382 ABs, and he has another 20 pts to gain in POW). Hellllloooooo superstar!

Yeah, I noticed him earlier. He looks like a really nice player.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:22 AM   #197
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Those always make me laugh.... a 5 year old Hows our one boy DC. that pitcher???? he do alright this year?

He's actually a converted third baseman now. I noticed his ratings offensively and decided to turn him into a two-way player. So he's now the 5th starter on his team and also plays 3B.

ftr, I'll never be able to sign this kid were he to make it to FOOL, because of how he managed to show up. Just in case anyone ever wonders...

He's hitting .258 with 7 HRs and 30 RBI this year and is 0-3 with a 2.66 ERA in 14 starts as a pitcher for Detroit. He's only 20 and is currently a 4.5 star prospect and he's got one more year in the VL before he comes to FOOL.

I think because of the strangeness of his situation, the fairest way to enter him into the league is similar to what MLB does for those Japanese guys. Only rather than a blind posting system, we'll do an open auction for him on the nights between the end of the regular season and the Classic, with the team offering the most, getting him for the duration of the deal they offered.

Crazy, but if nothing else, it keeps things interesting.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:38 AM   #198
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

3B Steven McGill, of Hartford a second year player broke Ed Wilson's (28 consecutive games) 16-year old hitting streak record hitting safely in 29 consecutive games ending on September 8th. McGill is a 24-year old third baseman.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-27-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:40 AM   #199
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

No one has thrown a no-hitter in two years and the last 20-win season came three years ago.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #200
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
No one has thrown a no-hitter in two years and the last 20-win season came three years ago.

Rookie Jorge Aquino of Hartford went 20-2 this year with a 2.72 ERA, so someone finally won 20 games again