Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #251
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
this is faulty thinking/logic. in your scenario, a team needs to catch lighening in a bottle, assemble one great team with the best strategy and then they get to ride that team for a good decade of 1st place finishes. this league has only been around for 14 seasons, and already you have bascially 3 major franchises cuz 3 teams were able to do it right, thereby making a 1st place finish a foregone conclusion.

but....in real life the best team doesn't always win. if this were the case then the Pats wouldn't have lost to the Giants in last year's Super Bowl cuz the Pats had the best team ever. of course, the Giants weren't even the best team in the NFC playoffs, period. the point isn't to assemble a juggernaut for the regular season. the point is to assemble a team that can win in the playoffs. if championships were awarded to the best team on paper, there'd be no need to play out the season. there'd just be one major conference, all owners would look at each other's rosters and vote who has the best team and give that team the championship. but championships in baseball aren't won in April.

they're won in October.

The best teams here dont always win either....

Going back to my first classic win, I think Alan def had the better team than I did, and I pulled a fast one... I mean he had me down 0-4 and I won the next 5 straight????

Game logic is kinda messed up there, and Alan was big enough not to complain about it, but come on he got hosed....

To be honest I dont think Ekcut had a better team than I did the first year he beat me (second year is a different story)... but he destroyed me..... It wasnt even a series...

There are plenty other examples on how the best team doesnt always win in FOOL.

I also say comparing FOOL to the real thing is like apples and oranges....

You have confidence and big "MO" in real life, here all you have is a spreadsheet with numbers and ratings on it......

You cant put together the best team down the stretch cause its an offseason league so you do your best with what you got and roll with it
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #252
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I believe so, yes. Hennessy in saves and Aquino in ERA for sure. Aquini has actually been the guy in wins, so Robinson is new.

Despite, was it DC or Alan (?) saying recently that playoffs would be a bad thing, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a WC soon. We have too many competitive teams now to not seriously consider adding them.

I still wish we had divisional play, but that's probably just me (sorry, DC, I know what you said...)

Im looking forward to seeing what everyone thoughts on this subject are in the future....
Old 10-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #253
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
Come on, boys, come on.

I'll give ekcut a pony if his team lays down. I play Bal 7 times this month.

Kaos I just have to say this cracked me up!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #254
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post
I wasn't around for the moaning and groaning about Hartford, and its probably a good thing. I've had to back space 2 attempts at posting about it. Let me humorously sum up my thoughts about Anthony's posts by saying, he should find the Barack Obama League which "spreads the wealth around". Muns does an excellent job, and from my PM interactions with him, is a fair, smart owner who knows EXACTLY what he wants to do with his team. A month ago, the RL was being celebrated as wide open and any of 6 teams could win it, while the CL was watching Alan tear us up.

I'm not gonna moan and groan about Chief if he goes on a run either. I'm very happy that in the past few seasons we have discussed some issues and had some educational classes from Alan which I think gives newer owners a competitive leg up. I think with our financials it is a given that multi-year dynasties emerge, if you bring up a crop of youth that fit well together, you can easily sign the last few pieces you need to win year after year.

I agree with Chief that the higher stakes of only being in first place mattering makes the league make you want to try a little harder. I don't want to be ALMOST as good as Atlanta and steal glory in a short series, I want to be BETTER than Atlanta, no questions asked. I've been having fun trying to develop a strategy and trying to set makeable goals for myself each year. I've also learned that the current 2 or 3 acknowledged zen men are very familiar with the whole league, not just their own ML team, and offer very good trades which are actually mutually beneficial, which I believe goes a long way toward long term success in the trade market. You might screw me on one trade if I'm not really paying attention or desperate for a given piece even if its inferior to what I'm giving up, but don't come knocking again. If you work with me to get the piece YOU really want, come back often.

Well said Tim.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #255
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
My thoughts on this season:
  • Congrats to Chief on being the first GM to make it into the classic in both the CL and RL. My team tried their best from you doing so.
  • Congrats to the AI on keeping Muns team afloat
  • Big props to Muns for building a dominant team where his export didn't even matter when it came to getting back to the classic.
  • Another dismal year for the brownstones, although I do see light with the potential of my staff in the next year or two.
  • For the dynasty talk, I think it is a good thing for the league as it keeps things competitive, which is one of the big reasons we all should be here. If not then maybe a solo league would be best for people. *I am not saying this to any one in particular as I really didn't read the discussion, but briefly glanced at it.
Well there's always next week!

Another nice Post..... Lost in the hoopla is what Chief has just done.... Big congrats to you CHIEF, that is a nice feather for the cap!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #256
muns
Pro Starter

Im not gonna keep posting, as HA said, dont want to beat a dead horse, but there are a lot of good comments in this thread.... Good read guys
Old 10-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #257
muns
Pro Starter

Alan ive exported
Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #258
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Alan ive exported

Muns, I don't have a current export for you. Want to re-send it?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #259
muns
Pro Starter

yep will do now.

Its done, it says it has uploaded

Last edited by muns : 10-20-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #260
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Muns, I don't have a current export for you. Want to re-send it?

The export from you appears to be from tonight, but says it is the wrong sim date. Says it is from the FOOL CLassic sim.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote