Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #101
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
This is always a fun question. If you are a big Bill James fan and believe in the value of "win shares" then statistically the absolute best players in the league single handedly account for only 10-11 extra wins. The top pitchers? an extra 6-8 wins.

I guess the deciding factor will be how many wins can you in turn pick up in multiple players if you spend the same amount of money elsewhere?

We read the same books I think my friend. (I'm actually reading Moneyball again, for the second time.) And from my position, if getting Slider means 8 more wins than I had last year.....well I'm still about 32 games behind Hartford. Now that is either really funny, or really sad depending.....

I've spent just about all day talking my self out of the running. Pretty much there. Pretty much.
Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #102
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
We read the same books I think my friend. (I'm actually reading Moneyball again, for the second time.) And from my position, if getting Slider means 8 more wins than I had last year.....well I'm still about 32 games behind Hartford. Now that is either really funny, or really sad depending.....

I've spent just about all day talking my self out of the running. Pretty much there. Pretty much.

In the MLB, a team can spend as much as they want on the players that will provide them the most contribution in the form of additional wins. There are no ceilings other than artificially imposed ones by the team's owner. Thus, for the MLB, for larger teams it is just as important or more important to figure out which 24 players will provide you the most wins during the season.

In FOOL, with a salary ceiling, if you are to assume you want somewhere in the ball park of 90 - 100 wins to get a championship.. That is going to end up being roughly $750k per win that you will need to spend. So if you get a guy that can add 7 more wins to your team, arguably that player can be worth as much as $5 or $5.5 million worth of your salary range. The big catch is that absolutely no one will be able to pick up a superstar capable of winning an additional 7 games for you on the free agent market for under $6mil per year. So lets say you spend double for this player and spend $11mil a year on them. now you have spent more on the player than the value of his wins will return. You have to then compensate.. you now have to find an additional 10 wins somewhere for virtually free. That is where young players or league minimum players come in. Any championship team will likely have 2 or 3 youngsters that are capable of adding 3-4 wins extra each for a cheap league minimum.

OOTP actually has burried in the financial pages a team cost effeciency, where it lists how much each team spent per win. Any team that spent over 750k per win likely were not very cost effecient on where they spent their salary. The higher above 750k per win they went, the less likely they had of being able to contend. Any team that spent less than 750k per win were right on track, but perhaps didn't quite spend enough to be a contender. In this league with a salary cap, unless your farm system is absolutely phenominal you likely want to be somewhere right around 750k per win (either a hair above or a hair below).

This is 1981's list:

1) Napa Valley $585,356
2) Hartford $589,952
3) Colorado $593,281
4) San Diego $687,654
5) Brooklyn $691,985
6) New York $737,706
7) Baltimore $749,404
8) Wyoming $754,590
9) Toronto $778,515
10) Long Island $793,639
11) Columbus $833,073
12) Rio Grande $852,389
13) Atlanta $872,448
14) Chicago $897,709
15) Boston $931,978
16) Ann Arbor $1,054,239

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #103
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

In the CL, you will see the top three teams this season were #7, #8 and #9 on the list, all around the magical 750k mark that I made up in my head. The RL is a bit more all over the place. Hartford was well below and Boston well above 750k per win. Columbus and San Diego were a bit closer but still a bit off. This probably says a decent amount about how good Hartford and San Diego's minor league systems were. This also makes San Diego's trade so far this off season even more interesting as they have spent a bit more money to try to bring in a few more wins. Will it be enough to get them closer to Hartford next season?

Old 10-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #104
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Have this years' non-VL guys not dropped? I could of sworn last night that I was able to bid on guys. Do we have more dropping tonight?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #105
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Have this years' non-VL guys not dropped? I could of sworn last night that I was able to bid on guys. Do we have more dropping tonight?

We entered free agency with the sim last night. So everyone that is going to be a free agent this season is currently listed. The only additions from here on out are if teams drop players to get under the salary cap, or use that money on someone else, you may see them show up in the next few sims.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #106
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
In the CL, you will see the top three teams this season were #7, #8 and #9 on the list, all around the magical 750k mark that I made up in my head. The RL is a bit more all over the place. Hartford was well below and Boston well above 750k per win. Columbus and San Diego were a bit closer but still a bit off. This probably says a decent amount about how good Hartford and San Diego's minor league systems were. This also makes San Diego's trade so far this off season even more interesting as they have spent a bit more money to try to bring in a few more wins. Will it be enough to get them closer to Hartford next season?

I think this is the season I get get seriously challenged in the RL.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #107
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
We entered free agency with the sim last night. So everyone that is going to be a free agent this season is currently listed. The only additions from here on out are if teams drop players to get under the salary cap, or use that money on someone else, you may see them show up in the next few sims.

Weird, cause I'm not seeing guys like the CF, Wally as available.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #108
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Weird, cause I'm not seeing guys like the CF, Wally as available.

Brian Waller? I see him listed as a free agent. Do you by chance have a filter applied to your free agent list? Either listing only pitchers or something else?

Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #109
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Brian Waller? I see him listed as a free agent. Do you by chance have a filter applied to your free agent list? Either listing only pitchers or something else?

that's the guy....yeah I must have.

Muns, I dunno man...I think you have at least another couple years on those tires yet.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #110
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

I LOVE this situation...
Who wouldn't want him on their team??
But you have to weigh SO many options...
Perhaps you offer him an astronomical 1 yr contact...say $20mil for 1 year, and then hope to sign him to an extension...
Or offer him a very high, multi year deal
Or offer him a lowball offer and hope that he goes "Wiley" and doesnt sign with the highest bidder.

If he craters, and has a talent lump or doesnt perform to his ratings (a common VL problem) you could be stuck with that deal...so long term althought your best bet to land him, is also the riskiest.
A large 1 yr deal, will probably sap all of your resourses, and pretty much gaurentee you are an also-ran this year BUT coul dpay off huge in the next 10 seasons if he signs a more reasonable extension with you.
A lowball deal, well, your chances are not good...but it wont cripple you and if you DO get lucky, well you just won the lottery.

I know I wont be the best offer out there...I just don't have the cap room to compete so I am not even going to try, but I will offer him a respectable mid term offer and hope he likes my team.
I think most owners will do the same...

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #111
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
I LOVE this situation...
Who wouldn't want him on their team??
But you have to weigh SO many options...
Perhaps you offer him an astronomical 1 yr contact...say $20mil for 1 year, and then hope to sign him to an extension...
Or offer him a very high, multi year deal
Or offer him a lowball offer and hope that he goes "Wiley" and doesnt sign with the highest bidder.

If he craters, and has a talent lump or doesnt perform to his ratings (a common VL problem) you could be stuck with that deal...so long term althought your best bet to land him, is also the riskiest.
A large 1 yr deal, will probably sap all of your resourses, and pretty much gaurentee you are an also-ran this year BUT coul dpay off huge in the next 10 seasons if he signs a more reasonable extension with you.
A lowball deal, well, your chances are not good...but it wont cripple you and if you DO get lucky, well you just won the lottery.

I know I wont be the best offer out there...I just don't have the cap room to compete so I am not even going to try, but I will offer him a respectable mid term offer and hope he likes my team.
I think most owners will do the same...

That was my original plan, to try and sign him to a short-term, huge deal with the hopes of getting him signed long term through extension. I figure I am 3 years away anyhow, so why not. That didn't work however, so I have to either get out or really go crazy. I've exported my team since I have some business folks to take out tonight, so I made my decision. Pretty happy with it.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #112
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
That was my original plan, to try and sign him to a short-term, huge deal with the hopes of getting him signed long term through extension. I figure I am 3 years away anyhow, so why not. That didn't work however, so I have to either get out or really go crazy. I've exported my team since I have some business folks to take out tonight, so I made my decision. Pretty happy with it.

The way I look at it, a STUD finds his way to FA only once every 5 years or so...when one is available, you have to jump all over him. There are a half dozen stars available every season, but superstar comes along only once in a blue moon. So you GOTTA go for it. At least throw your hat in the ring and give him your best offer...it may be 6 seasons before another comes along.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 10-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #113
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
The way I look at it, a STUD finds his way to FA only once every 5 years or so...when one is available, you have to jump all over him. There are a half dozen stars available every season, but superstar comes along only once in a blue moon. So you GOTTA go for it. At least throw your hat in the ring and give him your best offer...it may be 6 seasons before another comes along.

True, but I value a stud everyday position guy far more than a stud SP. Simply put, a guy with a huge bat can swing alot more games for you than a guy who is playing every 4 or 5 days. Granted, Slider might be a 20 wins kinda pitcher....but someone batting .310 and an OPS of .900 is probably going to be able to win even more than 20 for you, and if the WinShares are any indication, this is usually true even for players lesser than the one I detailed above. Because, not only do you factor in his bat, but you factor in his glove---especially for a CF/2B/SS, or even a 3B.

I guess what I am getting out, is that while this guy is one I would desperately love to have.....I would even moreso want a top-notch position guy.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #114
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True, but I value a stud everyday position guy far more than a stud SP. Simply put, a guy with a huge bat can swing alot more games for you than a guy who is playing every 4 or 5 days. Granted, Slider might be a 20 wins kinda pitcher....but someone batting .310 and an OPS of .900 is probably going to be able to win even more than 20 for you, and if the WinShares are any indication, this is usually true even for players lesser than the one I detailed above. Because, not only do you factor in his bat, but you factor in his glove---especially for a CF/2B/SS, or even a 3B.

I guess what I am getting out, is that while this guy is one I would desperately love to have.....I would even moreso want a top-notch position guy.

I think I always am the opposite. I value top notch pitchers more than position players. Perhaps it is because of my play style, but I usually feel that I can take 13 hitters, and as long as I have 2 or 3 solid hitters, I can figure out how to get the most out of the rest of them.

With a pitcher, I really have had only small bits of success trying a specific type of strategy with specific type of pitchers, but otherwise it seems I am more at OOTP's mercy when it comes to how good the pitchers are.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #115
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I think I always am the opposite. I value top notch pitchers more than position players. Perhaps it is because of my play style, but I usually feel that I can take 13 hitters, and as long as I have 2 or 3 solid hitters, I can figure out how to get the most out of the rest of them.

With a pitcher, I really have had only small bits of success trying a specific type of strategy with specific type of pitchers, but otherwise it seems I am more at OOTP's mercy when it comes to how good the pitchers are.

Have to admit I hadn't thought of it that way. Of course supply and demand come into play as well.

In any case, I good with my decision. Will be very excited to see how FA shakes out tonight, as I have some other guys that I am even more pumped about than Slider. If I get even a couple of them, I'll mark this offseason as a success.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #116
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I value pitching slightly more then hitting, but I totally respect your thoughts...Especially if you have Bill James backing up your position...
I'm only going to continue this debate because I am DYING to talk baseball...
TODAY, In this FA pool, uhhh...I forget his name, the stud pitcher, is the man to chase after. If there were an equally talented hitter, particularly a non OF or 1B, then I agree, yes, go hard for him...but there isn't a simular position player available. With any position player in this FA pool, you would be able to land his equal next season, and the season after, but Mr I forgethisname or his equal, are not available each year.

The other players in the FA pool are good to round out your roster, but for any developing team, I think landing a player to build your franchise around is priority #1. I'm entering a re-tooling phase, and landing whats-his-name his is too tempting to resist....even if it means moving some of my previously untouchables to make room

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 10-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #117
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Glove: overrated. I am going with an experiment with Todd Conway at 3B this year to see what happens.

As to this FA pool, while "Slider" is clearly the cream of the crop, I think the next best entrant was the young undeveloped 3B that the &^%$ing AI landed with a minor league deal. Myself and someone else (ekcut?) went after him with multi-year big dollars and got shut out. That simply shouldn't happen.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #118
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post
Glove: overrated. I am going with an experiment with Todd Conway at 3B this year to see what happens.

As to this FA pool, while "Slider" is clearly the cream of the crop, I think the next best entrant was the young undeveloped 3B that the &^%$ing AI landed with a minor league deal. Myself and someone else (ekcut?) went after him with multi-year big dollars and got shut out. That simply shouldn't happen.

For me, it was Birkbeck going to Wyoming for an MLC. That was phenomenally crappy as well. WTH? Wish I knew why that happens?

Really, has anyone noticed that Wyoming is perhaps the most successful free agent signing team since the move to Wyoming? I don't get that. And then the AI mismanages the roster, so they don't really get much for it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #119
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
For me, it was Birkbeck going to Wyoming for an MLC. That was phenomenally crappy as well. WTH? Wish I knew why that happens?

Really, has anyone noticed that Wyoming is perhaps the most successful free agent signing team since the move to Wyoming? I don't get that. And then the AI mismanages the roster, so they don't really get much for it.

Maybe it wasn't the move to Wyoming.. maybe getting rid of someone that Greygoose always said that the players hated from the front office did the trick

Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #120
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post

I have been experimenting with this for the past three years, since OOTP, IMO, does a bad job of balancing positional talent (far too many 1B and OFs, too little elsewhere), defense doesn't translate well in OOTP from what I have seen, and OOTP is also ridiculous about not giving ratings to players who play out of position. So I have been playing Abbott out of position at 2B for three years now or so, and last year, I played Cherry in a platoon role at 3B. Both are natural 1B, although I have been trying to move pieces to get Abbott back to his natural position and get players who can naturally handle 2B and 3B instead.

I would guess my team has suffered from defensive issues, but it hasn't been obvious yet to me. The thing that annoys me is that OOTP won't just assign these guys a rating. I mean, come on, if you play a season at a position, I don't care if you never did anything like it before, you're going to pick up enough to warrant a rating. It might be 5, and never go higher than 10, but still...

If there's a setting to make players more malleable to switching positions, I would be interested in tweaking it higher.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #121
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Conway may not be able to make the throw to first and have to get a running start every time, but he has the range to handle it. We'll see. Its an experiment in a year I don't really want to win 97 games anyway.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #122
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have been experimenting with this for the past three years, since OOTP, IMO, does a bad job of balancing positional talent (far too many 1B and OFs, too little elsewhere), defense doesn't translate well in OOTP from what I have seen, and OOTP is also ridiculous about not giving ratings to players who play out of position. So I have been playing Abbott out of position at 2B for three years now or so, and last year, I played Cherry in a platoon role at 3B. Both are natural 1B, although I have been trying to move pieces to get Abbott back to his natural position and get players who can naturally handle 2B and 3B instead.

I would guess my team has suffered from defensive issues, but it hasn't been obvious yet to me. The thing that annoys me is that OOTP won't just assign these guys a rating. I mean, come on, if you play a season at a position, I don't care if you never did anything like it before, you're going to pick up enough to warrant a rating. It might be 5, and never go higher than 10, but still...

If there's a setting to make players more malleable to switching positions, I would be interested in tweaking it higher.

This is one of my hunches.. based off of testing that I did way back in ootp4 I think.. No idea how much it has changed since then.. but most of the effect you see from playing players out of position is more noticeable in the pitcher's WHiP going up rather than seeing the team's fielding % go down. This also is far more the case at 3 specific positions than any of the other ones.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #123
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is one of my hunches.. based off of testing that I did way back in ootp4 I think.. No idea how much it has changed since then.. but most of the effect you see from playing players out of position is more noticeable in the pitcher's WHiP going up rather than seeing the team's fielding % go down. This also is far more the case at 3 specific positions than any of the other ones.

I would guess either all three IF spots, or all three OF spots. Not surprisingly, I rarely have a problem fielding a top notch defensive OF, with all of the players available at those positions.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #124
TimGuru
High School Varsity

BABIP has to be there for something I guess.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #125
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would guess either all three IF spots, or all three OF spots. Not surprisingly, I rarely have a problem fielding a top notch defensive OF, with all of the players available at those positions.

SS, 2B and CF.

As far as I could tell in my testing I once did, a Left fielder's defense ability was almost as worthless as a first baseman's ability. The main thing that seemed important for either position was just not making errors. If you have a great centerfielder with great range, he seemed to be in play over the left fielder a good number of the time (which I suppose is realistic to some point).

Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #126
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
SS, 2B and CF.

As far as I could tell in my testing I once did, a Left fielder's defense ability was almost as worthless as a first baseman's ability. The main thing that seemed important for either position was just not making errors. If you have a great centerfielder with great range, he seemed to be in play over the left fielder a good number of the time (which I suppose is realistic to some point).

That was my other guess--just the top defensive positions, not counting catcher. Of course, catcher arm impacts steal rates, or at least that's my belief. I would be interested to know if Catcher Ability affects ERA.

Abbott hasn't made too many errors, from what I have seen, or at least he didn't in Season One of the Abbott Experiment, but I don't know if his short range or relative inability to turn a double play might have had a drastic effect on things.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #127
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That was my other guess--just the top defensive positions, not counting catcher. Of course, catcher arm impacts steal rates, or at least that's my belief. I would be interested to know if Catcher Ability affects ERA.

Abbott hasn't made too many errors, from what I have seen, or at least he didn't in Season One of the Abbott Experiment, but I don't know if his short range or relative inability to turn a double play might have had a drastic effect on things.

One thing that I have meant to look into is regarding catcher's importance in defense. For whatever it is worth, the win shares utility I use tends to have several catchers listed among the top fielding win shares each season. I have been meaning to try to figure out if that is just a function of being a catcher in OOTP, or if only the really good defensive catchers are showing up there (and what does it mean in OOTP to be a really good defensive catcher)

Old 10-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #128
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ok, time for the sim!

Before I start, make sure that everyone checks out the Board of Director thread. It is the owners in this league that make the league what it is. Would like to get more interested owners in as Board members.

Also, if anyone has any interest in serving on a "Hall of Fame committee" to vote on Hall of Fame members, drop me a PM please.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #129
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

No exports for Columbus or San Diego

Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #130
Tasan
College Starter

How many owners are on the ledge tonight?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #131
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Well.. Sanu signed.. and he should be able to buy his own personal jet now.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am less so because of acquiring Berui. I no longer need Slider. That said, I did not rescind my offer.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #133
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hey, no perks!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #134
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I hope it was my 4 year $100 million deal.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #135
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
I hope it was my 4 year $100 million deal.

I beat the money. Didn't beat the per year average.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #136
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Thursday, October 22nd, 1981
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed MR C. Fraters to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed RF L. Pizzoli to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 3B J. McFadden to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed 1B A. Brem to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed CF M. Ríos to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed RF B. Smith to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed CF W. Contreras to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed CF J. Molina to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 3B G. Rodríguez to a minor league contract extension.

Friday, October 23rd, 1981
Hartford Harpooners: Signed RF T. King to a minor league contract extension.
Baltimore Gothams: Signed 2B M. Martínez to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $900,000.

Saturday, October 24th, 1981
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed RF B. Chong to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 2B C. Holmes to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 1B A. Barajas to a minor league contract extension.

Sunday, October 25th, 1981
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed 1B D. Robbins to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed CF V. Escalante to a minor league contract extension.
Long Island Violators: Signed MR J. McGrath to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $530,000.
Baltimore Gothams: Signed 2B G. Moore to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $2,930,000.
Ann Arbor Wolverines: Signed free agent RF Y. Yu to a minor league contract.

Monday, October 26th, 1981
Hartford Harpooners: Signed LF R. Gutiérrez to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $1,425,000.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed 1B R. Molina to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed RF B. Duplessis to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed CF F. Ortega to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed MR M. Malfabón to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 2B C. Watkins to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $1,820,000.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed SP J. Ramos to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed 2B M. D'Artois to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed LF A. Holcombe to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed SP R. Kreuze to a minor league contract extension.
Long Island Violators: Signed free agent CL S. Borges to a 1-year contract worth a total of $1,920,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 1B B. Fulgham to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed MR D. Davis to a minor league contract extension.
Baltimore Gothams: Signed MR E. Hensley to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $4,755,000.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed MR J. Navarro to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed 3B A. Aguilar to a minor league contract extension.
Wyoming Buffalo Soliders: Signed free agent SS L. Heijnen to a 2-year contract worth a total of $1,280,000.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed LF B. Stephenson to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed MR C. Pérez to a minor league contract extension.
Long Island Violators: Signed CF J. Smith to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $20,135,000.
Baltimore Gothams: Signed 1B S. McIndoe to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $610,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed CF R. Norman to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed SP J. Ray to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 2B S. Johnston to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 3B A. Hashimoto to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 1B S. Mathis to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed 3B R. Williams to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 1B R. Kelly to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 2B E. Brown to a minor league contract extension.
Boston Bombers: Signed free agent SS M. Colenutt to a minor league contract.

Tuesday, October 27th, 1981
Colorado Rancheros: Signed free agent SP M. Sanu to a 8-year contract worth a total of $147,600,000.

Wednesday, October 28th, 1981
Ann Arbor Wolverines: Signed free agent MR K. Ito to a 2-year contract worth a total of $1,080,000.
Ann Arbor Wolverines: Signed free agent SP A. Pérez to a minor league contract.
Baltimore Gothams: Signed free agent SP D. Hardee to a 1-year contract worth a total of $480,000.
Ann Arbor Wolverines: Signed free agent SS C. Walters to a minor league contract.
Ann Arbor Wolverines: Signed free agent SS G. Viveiros to a minor league contract.
Baltimore Gothams: Signed free agent MR H. Hung to a 1-year contract worth a total of $200,000.

Thursday, October 29th, 1981
Ann Arbor Wolverines: Signed free agent 1B G. Toler to a 2-year contract worth a total of $1,380,000.
Ann Arbor Wolverines: Signed free agent SP J. Valenzuela to a 2-year contract worth a total of $435,000.

Friday, October 30th, 1981
Ann Arbor Wolverines: Signed free agent 3B G. Jenkins to a 2-year contract worth a total of $1,180,000.
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent MR N. Spokes to a 2-year contract worth a total of $820,000.
Baltimore Gothams: Signed free agent SS G. Watters to a minor league contract.

Saturday, October 31st, 1981
Ann Arbor Wolverines: Signed free agent CL R. Wade to a minor league contract.
Ann Arbor Wolverines: Signed free agent SP Y. Sugimoto to a minor league contract.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #137
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Awesome. Way to go, Tasan!

I am SOOOOOOOO glad he didn't go to a CL team (besides mine, that is).

Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #138
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I beat the money. Didn't beat the per year average.

I offered much less, just wanted to throw a huge number out to get people worried.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #139
Tasan
College Starter

*runs and hides

Yes he is the cornerstone of the Ranchero Revolution, coming to the RL around 1985 or so.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #140
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

*Whistles*

Wholly cow!

Balls....big brass ones!

FOOL- Leduc Bullets

Last edited by ekcut : 10-28-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #141
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

I didn't offer anything...I was just trying to jack the price to increase my odds of landing the guys I wanted

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #142
Anthony
Banned

i'm very happy he went to a team that has literally no hitters that are a serious threat. i look forward to Sanu winning a lot of 1-0 games. lol
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #143
Tasan
College Starter

That offer is the offer I had in place from the very beginning, before I read any "literature" here. I've been beaten bad before on high talent guys by not going the extra mile. I chose to go the extra mile, and then another one for good measure tonight.

The Ranchero Revolution is nigh.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #144
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
i'm very happy he went to a team that has literally no hitters that are a serious threat. i look forward to Sanu winning a lot of 1-0 games. lol

Gimmie 2 years on that Anthony, 2 years.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #145
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
That offer is the offer I had in place from the very beginning, before I read any "literature" here. I've been beaten bad before on high talent guys by not going the extra mile. I chose to go the extra mile, and then another one for good measure tonight.

The Ranchero Revolution is nigh.

So what's the contract breakdown, Tasan?

I offered him the max 10 years, at about $12 M average.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #146
Anthony
Banned

he's a good pickup Tasan, to say the least.

my point was to counter Chief's post, that he's happy Sanu didn't go to a CL team - i'm happy that since Sanu went to a team that's in my conference, he went to a place that is clearly rebuilding and won't have the offensive firepower to give him run support for at least 3 seasons. but you got a doozy of a player there.

Last edited by Anthony : 10-28-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #147
Tasan
College Starter

It averages around 18.5. The 8th year is, of course, a legal option, for I think 21 million. The first year is 16 mil. I expect the rest of my team to be a bunch of low end young guys, so I think I wont destroy myself too much until say 88 or so ;- )
Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #148
TimGuru
High School Varsity

I wonder who the first owner to bail, create a secret identity and come back to their same team and take advantage of the bailout clause will be.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #149
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
It averages around 18.5. The 8th year is, of course, a legal option, for I think 21 million. The first year is 16 mil. I expect the rest of my team to be a bunch of low end young guys, so I think I wont destroy myself too much until say 88 or so ;- )

Yup, my option year was $19.25 (actually less than I could have offered, because I forgot the option rule is 20%, not 10%).

I did something funky, offering lower than higher than lower than a couple very high years in the middle when he was peaking, and then low for the last couple years before the huge option year. Idea was I could work around that a little better. But you went all high, lol.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #150
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
he's a good pickup Tasan, to say the least.

my point was to counter Chief's post, that he's happy Sanu didn't go to a CL team - i'm happy that since Sanu went to a team that's in my conference, he went to a place that is clearly rebuilding and won't have the offensive firepower to give him run support for at least 3 seasons. but you got a doozy of a player there.

Yep I gotcha Anthony!

Shoulda put one of those on the last post.

As for my hitters, yeah I'm going to be starved, but I think my overall plan is almost in place.