Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #51
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Below spoiler tag is a huge list of people who retired. Not really a secret, just trying to keep the huge page spam to a minimum for people who don't care enough about retirees as this is a fairly long list.

Spoiler

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #52
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post
You have an interesting definition of competitive.

How so?
Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #53
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

29 players in the draft between 2 stars and 5 stars

Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #54
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Cool, almost got everyone I wanted. Had high hopes for that CF Weighell.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #55
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
How so?

You acknowledge not being championship driven and don't expect to play .500 ball. When setting forth my season expectations, when I aspire to be "competitive" I mean, fighting for a playoff berth. Lately I have been setting different goals for this team I have, because at the major league level it sucks and the farm system is still thin. I could care less that my shortstop and fans are pissed, because my media contract more than pays everything I need to spend. Last year I wanted to have a top-3 guy in CL HRs and fell 1 HR short with Booker.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #56
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
How so?

Competitive usually == winning record, competing for one of the top spots, etc.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #57
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

New file is up!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #58
Anthony
Banned

Pike wants to be competitive in the sense that he wants to compete for shittiest team of the league award. if you don't think you have a championship calibre team, nay, even a .500 team then you aren't expecting to be competitive in the sense that you're expecting to win more often than not.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #59
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Tanaka wants to be Carlton Fisk I think. Only a year or two to go for that I guess.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #60
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
You acknowledge not being championship driven and don't expect to play .500 ball.

I acknowledged that with the talent at hand, I won't be winning a championship this year, and furthermore might not be a .500 team. You made far too many assumptions off of one post.

I simply understand my place simply in the current hierarchy, unlike some who have pronounced their greatness over and over only to look like a fool at season's end. Even if I had a team that I figured to be spectacular, I would even then temper my enthusiasm. It's my way.

Right now, I have a few players that are not far off from being ready. Once they are in place, and assuming that this year's #1 pick checks out, I can see this team being plenty good before too long. I could well be wrong.

But to say I'm not championship driven is really quite foolish, especially considering you know nothing about me, other than what little you can glean from this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Competitive usually == winning record, competing for one of the top spots, etc.

Usually being the key word. I entered this league at a disadvantage. It's my first MP league. Most of you have been here awhile, and as one guy put it to me...."They know the players, and they know you don't." And I inherited a team with a few problems. Not too mention the learning curve in dealing with FA and such. So with all that said....competitive to me, right now, means not being the worst team in the league and finishing in the pack--instead of 20 games under .500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Pike wants to be competitive in the sense that he wants to compete for shittiest team of the league award. if you don't think you have a championship calibre team, nay, even a .500 team then you aren't expecting to be competitive in the sense that you're expecting to win more often than not.

Ah...and then there is you. Everytime I try or tell Alan I will ignore you.....you have to open your mouth. I guess I could be like you, Anthony, and proclaim to heaven and earth my greatness.....only to finish, again, under .500. And then do it again. And again. And again.

Shittiest team of the league award. Well, true my boys have gone for that a few times in the last month. Though I don't think this time. But you know, got me to thinking that if there was a shittiest owner of the league award....well hell, just retire the trophy in your office.

Honestly, if this is the general feeling about me in this league....I will gladly show myself the door. Just say the word.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #61
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Honestly, if this is the general feeling about me in this league....I will gladly show myself the door. Just say the word.

Don't you dare. I will nail your feet to the floor.

Because it's not. Not for me, anyway.
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #62
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

And just so I clarify my definition of competitive:

The 3-5 Browns might not finish with a winning season. Likely will NOT make the playoffs. But they ARE competitive. Beating the Giants validated that much.

The 0-8 Lions, typically, are NOT competitive. Most weeks, they are being blown out by double digits.

You can be competitive....or perhaps I should even say respectable, and not have a winning record. For instance.....look at the RoadRunners last year. I'd say they were competitive. They finished 15 out of 1st, but only 9 out of 2nd. A few games here, a few games there...who knows.

Lastly......Anthony. When you make comments like your last one, I would appreciate that you remember that the last two weeks I have been faced with a layoff, and a 2 month old baby girl who I am responsible for. As you might imagine, or perhaps cannot, that tends to dominate your thoughts a little more than how my make-believe baseball team is doing or how well I am running it. Same goes for anyone else who wants to be critical of my handling of Chicago.

All the same, honestly, if you guys think I am stinking up the joint....just point me to the door. Take a fucking vote if you need to.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #63
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Of course we don't want you to leave. I was teasing and then gave you a serious answer when you asked. I'm not suggesting you don't want to win, ever, I just meant, kind of like Tasan said, that competitive usually means, win more than you lose, this year.

One of the reasons I was against playoffs is that I fear that too many teams will shoot for the moon hoping for a perfect storm of an almost team and lucky rolls of the dice. I personally, think my team has no chance to be "competitive" for at least 3 more seasons, and even then I won't be a legit playoff team, but more in .500 mode for a season or 2 to identify what parts I need to specifically upgrade to be a playoff contender. I also think my Panthers and your Chicago franchise are similarly positioned, top to bottom, except I made most of my mess and you inherited yours, so if anyone should be deemed suck its me not you.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #64
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

By the way, jerkoff, how have your Violator teams been doing the last few seasons? How many championships you bring to the Island?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #65
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Of course we don't want you to leave. I was teasing and then gave you a serious answer when you asked. I'm not suggesting you don't want to win, ever, I just meant, kind of like Tasan said, that competitive usually means, win more than you lose, this year.

One of the reasons I was against playoffs is that I fear that too many teams will shoot for the moon hoping for a perfect storm of an almost team and lucky rolls of the dice. I personally, think my team has no chance to be "competitive" for at least 3 more seasons, and even then I won't be a legit playoff team, but more in .500 mode for a season or 2 to identify what parts I need to specifically upgrade to be a playoff contender. I also think my Panthers and your Chicago franchise are similarly positioned, top to bottom, except I made most of my mess and you inherited yours, so if anyone should be deemed suck its me not you.

I'm not taking a shoot for the moon approach at all. I am doing my best to build each section, little by little, brick by brick. That is hard to do when you try your best to sign guys like Dale this year, only to see the AI screw you. All the same, I know where I want this team to be and I am trying my best to get it there. I may not have the talent for it. Unlike Anthony, I don't deem myself a God amongst baseball mortals.

Combine the toughness of this league with my current, real-life situation and things get that much harder for me. Frankly, I am only here now because it gives me something else to think about. Then, of course, I run into idiots like Anthony. Honestly....how could anyone want that guy on the BoD here?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #66
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:

Eek. Heavens no. Sorry if my post was in any way seen as trying to be a butthead. I was just throwing the definition out there and taking a small jab at you in an attempted playful way. Shoulda put the guy our maybe even.

Communicating on the internet is such a joy sometimes
Old 11-05-2008, 11:17 PM   #67
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Eek. Heavens no. Sorry if my post was in any way seen as trying to be a butthead. I was just throwing the definition out there and taking a small jab at you in an attempted playful way. Shoulda put the guy our maybe even.

Communicating on the internet is such a joy sometimes

You are a class act Tasan, so no I don't think you were being a butthead. I have to admit that Anthony's usual wisdom set me off, sorry that you were caught in the splash.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:37 PM   #68
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I acknowledged that with the talent at hand, I won't be winning a championship this year, and furthermore might not be a .500 team. You made far too many assumptions off of one post.

I simply understand my place simply in the current hierarchy, unlike some who have pronounced their greatness over and over only to look like a fool at season's end. Even if I had a team that I figured to be spectacular, I would even then temper my enthusiasm. It's my way.

Right now, I have a few players that are not far off from being ready. Once they are in place, and assuming that this year's #1 pick checks out, I can see this team being plenty good before too long. I could well be wrong.

But to say I'm not championship driven is really quite foolish, especially considering you know nothing about me, other than what little you can glean from this forum.

Usually being the key word. I entered this league at a disadvantage. It's my first MP league. Most of you have been here awhile, and as one guy put it to me...."They know the players, and they know you don't." And I inherited a team with a few problems. Not too mention the learning curve in dealing with FA and such. So with all that said....competitive to me, right now, means not being the worst team in the league and finishing in the pack--instead of 20 games under .500.

Ah...and then there is you. Everytime I try or tell Alan I will ignore you.....you have to open your mouth. I guess I could be like you, Anthony, and proclaim to heaven and earth my greatness.....only to finish, again, under .500. And then do it again. And again. And again.

Shittiest team of the league award. Well, true my boys have gone for that a few times in the last month. Though I don't think this time. But you know, got me to thinking that if there was a shittiest owner of the league award....well hell, just retire the trophy in your office.

Ah, brush it all off and keep on chuggin' along man.

As someone who has been at or near the bottom of the CL for 6 or so years until last year I felt my team was much more "competitive" last year finishing all the way up in 5th place with a sub-.500 record. My team was much more "competitive" then it had been in years. My team had some impact in a couple spots. If you feel your team will be competitive and by that you mean challenge for 5th place with a sub-.500 record, then I understand what you mean.

It isn't a piece of cake that's for sure.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 AM   #69
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Ah, brush it all off and keep on chuggin' along man.

As someone who has been at or near the bottom of the CL for 6 or so years until last year I felt my team was much more "competitive" last year finishing all the way up in 5th place with a sub-.500 record. My team was much more "competitive" then it had been in years. My team had some impact in a couple spots. If you feel your team will be competitive and by that you mean challenge for 5th place with a sub-.500 record, then I understand what you mean.

It isn't a piece of cake that's for sure.

For the most part, that's what I'm saying. I have high hopes that this team can win 70 games. Compared to the last couple of seasons, that would be competitive. I think this team, on any given night, has a reasonable or competitive chance to win. Now, in a 150+ game season, the cream will rise and chances won't be enough. I'm still not in a position to contend with Hartford. And frankly, neither are any of other the RL teams I think.

I'm just hopeful that this year I finally start to see progress in the right direction.

Sorry I lost my cool, needless to say I'm a little edgy with what is going on lately. To all but Anthony, my apologies.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #70
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Unlike Anthony, I don't deem myself a God amongst baseball mortals.

Honestly, you should be happier that way. Being a God amongst mortals isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Seriously, though, you're doing fine, and considering what you have been through, I think you're doing great sticking to your plan. So keep it up. Remember, muns went 16 years before he finally lucked into his current dynasty (j/k muns).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #71
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Honestly, you should be happier that way. Being a God amongst mortals isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Seriously, though, you're doing fine, and considering what you have been through, I think you're doing great sticking to your plan. So keep it up. Remember, muns went 16 years before he finally lucked into his current dynasty (j/k muns).

Thanks Chief.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #72
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #73
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
No export from Boston, Colorado, Hartford, Long Island, Napa Valley or San Diego

sorry guys, i got busy again and didnt make the export.... Not like I had money to spend anyway.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #74
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yup...more proof that even a blind squirel finds an acorn every now and then.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #75
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Just in case no one sees my post in the block thread....

My stalwart SP of the last 3 years, Ite Beens, is available if anyone needs a good #4 or 5 guy. He's making 4.7 mil this year, with a mutual option set for next year. I can package him with my 2B Chase, if necessary, who is also looking like the odd man out in my lineup. Chase isn't the greatest, but if you are in high need for an IF, he's cheap.

What I need in return is a OF'er who can play center at least passably. Wish list would be a good CON/POW/EYE ratings.

In absence of that, a prospect would work too. Mainly, I just don't want the guy spot starting for 4.7 mil.

thanks!

Last edited by Pike : 11-06-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #76
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, my file is uploaded. I went without making a draft list because every time I did I got an error and the game closed on me. This has happened before but on re-starting the game it didn't do it again. This time it did it every time. I probably need to reboot, I have been pounding my computer to death for 2-3 days now being on it almost non-stop and getting only 4 hours of sleep a day.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #77
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Pike and I are trying to expand our recetnly posted trade. Can we either have a few minutes or a grace period of a few minutes beyond the sim to complete a trade (that way we don't hold up the draft). Thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #78
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I need to load some players onto the MLB roster, too, if I could have a minute. Plus, I sent out a late trade confirmation, so may need to give that owner time to respond/post. Shouldn't be long, though.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #79
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pike and I are trying to expand our recetnly posted trade. Can we either have a few minutes or a grace period of a few minutes beyond the sim to complete a trade (that way we don't hold up the draft). Thanks

Just let me know when ready. I'd rather not have any trades to be posted after the sim just to enforce the trade deadline.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #80
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I need to load some players onto the MLB roster, too, if I could have a minute. Plus, I sent out a late trade confirmation, so may need to give that owner time to respond/post. Shouldn't be long, though.

That is fine. You and Tim both let me know when you are ready.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #81
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm set.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #82
muns
Pro Starter

alan i just got the net to work
give me 2 secs if you can to upload
Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #83
Tasan
College Starter

Wow, its 1/4 of the league asking for time tonight! This is a record, right?

;- )
Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #84
muns
Pro Starter

ive uploaded... Hope that got in.... I love how the net has been down around here for 8+ hours....
Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #85
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
alan i just got the net to work
give me 2 secs if you can to upload

Let me know when. I'll just keep watching E.R. in the meanwhile

Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #86
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Trade being modified now, should be up in seconds
Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #87
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

;- )

I don't think so.. this actually used to be par for course on Thursday and Friday nights every season.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #88
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

;- )

Ping Tasan. Just sent you a quick PM.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #89
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Let me know when. I'll just keep watching E.R. in the meanwhile

Thank ya, im good to go

I had my stuff done and saved hoping that it would come back up. Was sweating it over here.... Mcgill and his contract is up and I wanted to the chance to try to resign him
Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #90
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Roll, Pike and I seem to be all set, thanks for the extension
Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #91
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Have we run already?

If not, can I have just 2 minutes?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #92
TimGuru
High School Varsity

dola, question, Guys with real money contracts in my minors count toward my cap right? And cutting them will reduce aforementioned cap?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #93
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I think that is everyone right? Timguru, chief, muns all are ready now.. I'm not missing anyone else right?

Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #94
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Black Sox are uploaded!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #95
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Have we run already?

If not, can I have just 2 minutes?

Err guess thats not all. Sure 2 minutes, let me know when ready and then I will run it!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #96
Tasan
College Starter

Lets roll!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #97
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Err guess thats not all. Sure 2 minutes, let me know when ready and then I will run it!

Chicago is a go Houston Center......

Last edited by Pike : 11-06-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #98
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
dola, question, Guys with real money contracts in my minors count toward my cap right? And cutting them will reduce aforementioned cap?

Yeah, if it is a major league salary, it will count against your cap. If it is a player with a major league minimum automatic salary because they just got promoted to the majors, but they don't have a major league contract, they will revert back to the minor league salary when you demote them and not count to the cap.

You can tell which is which on your financial page, the ones with major league contracts will show up there. The others will be I think -----------------

Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #99
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ok, starting the sim up before anyone else asks for time!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #100
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Chicago is a go Houston Center......

Actually I have a trade pending with Houston Centre...can I have a few minutes?

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote