Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #101
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I'll give a hint, one of the three teams is the U.S. has made it all 3 years to the semi-finals.

Yeah, when I was submitting the second one, I was thinking I should have kept the US in there, because I was thinking that same thing.

Okay...my final guess, and if I get it wrong, I'll let some of the others come in and try:

US
Canada
Cuba

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #102
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 10:

USA 9, Puerto Rico 1 - Andy Hobbs pitches 8 innings of 1 run ball, giving up 7 hits for the win.

Spoiler

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #103
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yeah, when I was submitting the second one, I was thinking I should have kept the US in there, because I was thinking that same thing.

Okay...my final guess, and if I get it wrong, I'll let some of the others come in and try:

US
Canada
Cuba

Nope!

Old 10-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #104
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Pool A Player of the Week:

It can be difficult for a young player to step out of the shadows and assert himself in the POOL A, but last week Gaël Pichette of the Canada reminded everyone just why he's here as he threw up numbers that made him an easy selection for Player of the Week.

Pichette rocked opposing pitching for a .357 average (10-28), 4 home runs and 11 RBIs to come away with the award.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #105
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

POOL B Player of the Week:

Once you hit 35, it's hard to say how much time you've got left in baseball. Xavier Jiménez has been fortunate as his numbers for the past week bear out. The 35-year-old third baseman, a favorite in the USA clubhouse, hit .579 last week as he put up Player of the Week numbers.

Jiménez also put together 11 hits in 19 at-bats, 3 home runs and 11 RBIs for the week.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #106
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nope!

Boo!

Go USA!!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #107
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 11:

Cuba 5, England 4 (13 innings) - Brian Prebble and Quincy Strode hit back to back solo home runs in the top of the 13th, but Cuba comes back in the bottom of the 13th as Jose Munoz doubles home two runs and Jose Nava hits a RBI single for the win.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #108
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 11:

Japan 7, Cuba 3 - Danjuro Ikeda goes 2 for 4 with a HR and 3 RBI in the win for Japan.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #109
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 11:

USA 5, Puerto Rico 0 - Mike Bradford pitches 7 innings of 4-hit shutout ball for the win.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #110
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 11:

Mexico 10, Dominican Republic 5 - Felix Garcia goes 3 for 5 with two doubles and 2 RBI in the win for Mexico.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #111
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 12:

England 13, Cuba 10 - Jose Munoz provides for half of Cuba's offense as he goes 3 for 5 with 2 HR and 5 RBI, but England still comes out on top.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #112
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 12:

Canada 6, Japan 1 - John Rodgers pitches a complete game 4-hitter, giving up just 1 run in the win for Canada.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #113
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 12:

Dominican Republic 4, Mexico 3 - Roberto Chavez hits a 3-run HR that ends up being the difference in this one.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #114
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 12:

Puerto Rico 3, USA 1 - Emilio Varquera pitches 8.1 innings of shutout, 5-hit ball as Puerto Rico upsets the U.S.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #115
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

With only 6 games left, the WBC standings:

POOL A:

Cuba 8-4
Canada 7-5
Japan 5-7
England 4-8

Cuba has a magic number of 4
Canada has a magic number of 5

POOL B:

USA 10-2
Mexico 7-5
Puerto Rico 4-8
Dominican Republic 3-9

USA has a magic number of 1
Mexico has a magic number of 5

Old 10-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #116
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I had thought Japan had a pretty good team, but they have not played too well here.

Cuba seems as good as they seemed in the play in tournament.

Canada, not surprised, because you get that pitching you can go far with even an average offense.

The USA seems clearly to be the best team in the tournament.

I think Mexico misses the in his prime Sierra, although they have the edge to make it in right now. I might be misremembering, but it seems like PR and the DR have been competitive at times, but by and large, they end up sucking. Is it the pitching?

Sad to see England fall off. Some of their better players in the past have simply gotten too old or retired (Whittingham and Ewbanks come immediately to mind, as well as a now too old Blatherwick, not sure if Prebble is really still as good or fallen off).

Old 10-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #117
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't remember Puerto Rico ever really being that good. I think WBC #3 was the best they have been and even then is pretty comparable to what they are doing in this tournament.

I think it is the pitching, the three teams USA, Canada and Japan that have won a WBC all had some dominant top end starters and at least a couple of guys who could mash the ball if not more. Then it just takes getting hot at the right time.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #118
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 13:

England 8, Canada 7 - Juteau goes 4 for 5 with 2 HR and 4 RBI for Canada but that is not enough to overcome England whom gets home Runs from both of the Bloweys as well as MacIan and Prebble.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #119
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 13:

Cuba 4, Japan 3 (10 innings) - Javier Mendez hits a RBI single in the bottom of the 10th to win for Cuba.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #120
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 13:

USA 8, Mexico 1 - Julio Flores strikes out 9 in 8.2 innings as he gives up only 1 run on 4 hits to clinch a spot in the Semi-finals for Team USA!

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #121
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 13:

Dominican Republic 4, Puerto Rico 3 - Secondbaseman Juan Rodriguez goes 2 for 5 with 2 RBI to help lead the Dominican Republic to the win.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #122
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 14:

Canada 13, England 2 - Pichette hits 2 more Home runs for Canada, upping his total to 6 thus far in the WBC.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #123
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 14:

Cuba 4, Japan 3 - Cuba gets home runs from Alex Quinones, Pepillo Garza and Jose Munoz to clinch their first trip ever to the FOOL WBC Semi-finals!

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #124
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 14:

Dominican Republic 11, Puerto Rico 9 (13 innings) - Hector Rodriguez and Juan Rodriguez hit back to back Solo Home Runs in the top of the 13th to win the game for the D.R.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #125
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Rodríguez Goes 5-7
Dominican Republic second baseman Juan Rodríguez had the hot hand today in the game against the Puerto Rico at Ballpark of Colorado. He scorched Puerto Rico pitching for 5 hits and paced the Dominican Republic to a 11-9 victory.

J. Rodríguez doubled in the 1st, singled in the 2nd, singled in the 3rd, grounded out in the 6th, grounded out in the 8th, singled in the 11th and hit a solo-shot off R. Abanto in the 13th.

In 13 games this year Rodríguez has posted a .333 average and put up these numbers: 3 home runs, 10 RBIs and 8 runs scored.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #126
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 14:

USA 8, Mexico 2 - Sergio Calderon pitches a complete game, giving up only 2 runs on 8 hits for the win.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #127
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You know, this is something I had put some thought into back when I had first brought up the WBC possibility (before you went and run with it, and a fine job you have done, BTW).

And that would be boistering some teams by making them "regions".

The US, Cuba, Canada and Japan don't seem to need any help fielding very good teams. Mexico and England are usually "okay". The DR and PR are in tough spots, and we end up leaving a lot of good players from other nationalities out (something you tried to fix a little with the "play in").

I was thinking that stronger overall teams could be put together if let's say, England, changed to "Europe and former English territories", so you can add any off chance Dutch or Italian baseball players, let's say, as well as maybe South African or Australian.

You could combine the PR and DR, along with the various other Carribean island nations (not including Cuba), and call it the Carribean region.

I did that, incidentally, in the game, setting up a filter, and the team that put up would be much more competitive in the current tournament.

With Mexico needing a little bolster (but not much), let them add Central American teams, and call it "Central America". That would give them Betancourt and Zuniga, of course.

I often see South American nationalities, and wonder if a good team can be put forward of just South American nations.

I don't know how to handle Taiwan/China/Korean (would adding them to Japan make Japan too strong?). But I would love to see them in the mix as well.

This could be done, with the South America team replacing the now missing second DR/PR team, and it could be a consistently strong field all the way around.

Not saying the way it is now isn't fine; I love it as is. But I think it would be fun to see something like this, too.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #128
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 15:

Cuba 14, Japan 10 - Pepillo Garza goes 2 for 4 with a HR and 4 RBI in the win for Cuba.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #129
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know, this is something I had put some thought into back when I had first brought up the WBC possibility (before you went and run with it, and a fine job you have done, BTW).

And that would be boistering some teams by making them "regions".

The US, Cuba, Canada and Japan don't seem to need any help fielding very good teams. Mexico and England are usually "okay". The DR and PR are in tough spots, and we end up leaving a lot of good players from other nationalities out (something you tried to fix a little with the "play in").

I was thinking that stronger overall teams could be put together if let's say, England, changed to "Europe and former English territories", so you can add any off chance Dutch or Italian baseball players, let's say, as well as maybe South African or Australian.

You could combine the PR and DR, along with the various other Carribean island nations (not including Cuba), and call it the Carribean region.

I did that, incidentally, in the game, setting up a filter, and the team that put up would be much more competitive in the current tournament.

With Mexico needing a little bolster (but not much), let them add Central American teams, and call it "Central America". That would give them Betancourt and Zuniga, of course.

I often see South American nationalities, and wonder if a good team can be put forward of just South American nations.

I don't know how to handle Taiwan/China/Korean (would adding them to Japan make Japan too strong?). But I would love to see them in the mix as well.

This could be done, with the South America team replacing the now missing second DR/PR team, and it could be a consistently strong field all the way around.

Not saying the way it is now isn't fine; I love it as is. But I think it would be fun to see something like this, too.

I like that idea, and it would be "doable", but it would require a lot more manual involvement in setting up the teams then how I do it now. OOTP has the ability to limit teams to only pick players from that team's "country" so I can actually let the AI pick the national teams for all of these teams. OOTP doesn't have any knowledge of regions per say so setting up teams like that would require all manual involvement there.

Probably would cross that line of more work than I have time for type of thing unfortunately.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #130
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 15:

Canada 7, England 6 - Justin Ledrew hits a solo shot, followed by a RBI double from Ryan Roy and RBI double from Christophe LaRocque in the 9th inning as 3 runs help Canada complete the come back and clinch a spot in the Semi-finals!

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #131
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 15:

Puerto Rico 8, Dominican Republic 6 - Jorge Hernandez goes 3 for 5 with a HR and 3 RBI in the win for Puerto Rico

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like that idea, and it would be "doable", but it would require a lot more manual involvement in setting up the teams then how I do it now. OOTP has the ability to limit teams to only pick players from that team's "country" so I can actually let the AI pick the national teams for all of these teams. OOTP doesn't have any knowledge of regions per say so setting up teams like that would require all manual involvement there.

Probably would cross that line of more work than I have time for type of thing unfortunately.

Too bad. I think it would be fun if we could. I set up filters in my game, so I could see what the pools would look like, and they look pretty good for most of these, although we would need to do something different for the South American team--there are some players there, but it would easily be the worst entry.

I guess there is no "filtered" way for the AI to pick from a pool? Bummer.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #133
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

Damn. I was hoping to see how Aitken did in the US rotation but he didn't make the cut.

Were the 3 teams Canada, USA, DR? This might have been answered already as I haven't got to the end of the thread yet.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #134
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 15:

USA 8, Mexico 7 (10 innings) - Adrian Tomlinson hits a RBI double in the bottom of the 10th inning to give Team USA the victory.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #135
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal_GM View Post
Damn. I was hoping to see how Aitken did in the US rotation but he didn't make the cut.

Were the 3 teams Canada, USA, DR? This might have been answered already as I haven't got to the end of the thread yet.

Nope, those are not the three teams either.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #136
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, I didn't expect it either, but I was looking to see if a steadily improving Manuel Sanchez would make the US team.

It seems like a possibility that both Aitken and Sanchez will be featured on the next US team, though.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #137
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Too bad. I think it would be fun if we could. I set up filters in my game, so I could see what the pools would look like, and they look pretty good for most of these, although we would need to do something different for the South American team--there are some players there, but it would easily be the worst entry.

I guess there is no "filtered" way for the AI to pick from a pool? Bummer.

Not really. Basically you can either have team nationalities or league nationalities decide. But it is all tied to the countries they belong from.

I guess the easiest way to do something like this would be for me to create a script that manually went in somehow and changed all of the various player nationalities to a "regional" entity for this.

I can add that to my table of ideas down the road.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #138
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In this file, best I can tell, Aitken is Australian.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #139
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You are correct.

Well, at least Sanchez can make the US team.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #140
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

With three games remaining in the WBC, three teams have clinched spots in the semi-finals:

USA, Cuba and Canada

POOL A:

Cuba 11-4
Canada 9-6
England 5-10
Japan 5-10

POOL B:

USA 13-2
Mexico 7-8
Dominican Republic 5-10
Puerto Rico 5-10

Mexico has a magic number of 2

Old 10-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #141
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Ha! What was I thinking? I thought he was American.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #142
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

He wants dual citizenship like in world football.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #143
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 16:

Canada 13, Cuba 5 - Pichette keeps his hot bat going for Team Canada as he goes 3 for 4 with a double, HR and 4 RBI.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #144
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Heh...did an Australian search and mostly, nothing there. But it did have Aitken, Cong Che and a name I think most in FOOL will know soon enough...Roland England, that monster 2B talent (90+ talent across the board, Contact to Eye) DC drafted two drafts ago.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #145
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It is ok, every WBC it feels like half of Team Canada is actually the Chinese national team when I read off the names

Old 10-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #146
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 16:

Japan 12, England 3 - Danjuro Ikeda goes 2 for 4 with a HR and 5 RBI for Japan

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #147
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
It is ok, every WBC it feels like half of Team Canada is actually the Chinese national team when I read off the names

There are Chinese people in Canada.
TeachEnEspanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #148
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

WBC Day 16:

Mexico 2, Puerto Rico 1 - Cesar Roman pitches 8 innings, striking out 8 and giving up just 1 run on 7 hits to eliminate Puerto Rico from any chance of the semi-finals.

Spoiler

Old 10-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #149
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachEnEspanol View Post
There are Chinese people in Canada.

Well, I assume so! Just like there are Chinese people in the U.S! But it just seems more improportionate then what I know of Canadian demographics.

Of course that might be because my sister lives near Montreal where there are a whole lot more of French decent then Chinese decent. I'm sure it is much different on the west coast of Canada.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #150
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:

Here is some learning for ya...

"Chinese Canadians are Canadians of Chinese descent and constitute the largest visible minority group in Canada, standing at 1,216,570 which comprises 3.9% of the population in 2006.[1] Out of those 1,216,570 people, 211,145 people were of Chinese and one other ethnic origin."

It was on the internet so it must be true!
TeachEnEspanol is offline   Reply With Quote