Old 04-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #2551
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

ANA, S. NIEDERMAYER, 00:40 - Holding
ANA, S. NIEDERMAYER, 07:53 - Boarding
ANA, S. NIEDERMAYER, 11:58 - Unsportsmanlike conduct
ANA, S. NIEDERMAYER, 15:02 - Tripping
ANA, S. NIEDERMAYER, 18:59 - Slashing

5 minors in one period? How is that even possible? He basically had to get caught on every shift he played. And at what point doesn't the coach tell him to take a seat? (Or maybe that is why he has no penalties in the 3rd )
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #2552
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
5 minors in one period? How is that even possible? He basically had to get caught on every shift he played. And at what point doesn't the coach tell him to take a seat? (Or maybe that is why he has no penalties in the 3rd )

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...6/SC021219.HTM
After catching penalties on 5 of 11 shifts in the 2nd, looks like he played one long shift to start the 3rd and then sat for the rest.

Funny thing though, in spite of 10 minutes in PM, he still played the 3rd most minutes among Anaheim defensemen with 21+ ... and more than half of his ice time came on the PP.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #2553
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

WOW WOW WOW

The Devils come back from being down 3-0 late in the second period to beat Montreal 4-3. Patrik Elias scored one of the prettiest goals I've seen this year (at least from someone not named Ovechkin) to tie it up, and Jamie Langenbrunner rifled home the winner on a 3-on-1 breakaway. Thanks to the New York collapse, New Jersey's 11th consecutive win makes the Devils ATLANTIC DIVISION CHAMPIONS!
Old 04-18-2006, 09:25 PM   #2554
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I am actually glad the Flyers didnt win the Division. I didn't want them to have to face the Devlis in the first round. Bring on the Sabers!

On a side note I was at the Pens game last night where Crosby scored his 100th point. The Igloo went insane, I'll give the Pens credit they never gave up.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:28 PM   #2555
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

WOOOOHOOOOO!

Devils win the Atlantic Division!! 11th straight wins, coming back from 3-0 in the game. What an improbable comeback .
Old 04-18-2006, 11:38 PM   #2556
Pyser
Pro Rookie

was that devils game not the PERFECT microcosm for their entire season?

horribly start....promising middle...and holy fucking hell, what an ending!!!

another banner, and devs-rangers in the first round. this is what hockey is all about.

this game confirms for me what an absolute genius lou is. he broke up the lines at just the right time to get elias playing with gionta and gomez...and did you notice who was on the 4th line? thats right, kozlov...the devils best shootout player. and until langenbrunner (whats that, pumpy? ) put in that last goal, it looked like it would come down to kozlov in the SO for the division.

the big hope now is that we get white back in there to go against jagr....and that matvichuk stays healthy.

man, what a rush tonight was!!!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #2557
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Yeah, it's really weird how I rip on Langenbrunner, and then he scores the division-winning goal a couple of days later. He wanted to pass that puck, but he couldn't get a pass through, so he just shot it. I'm glad he did.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #2558
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Was looking at the recent DVD releases and noticed this

was released yesterday.

It is supposedly a 15 disc set that has all 7 games against the Devils and all 7 games against the Canucks. Of course it costs around $70 but...

"Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!"

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:55 AM   #2559
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Ugh. I don't think there's a single thing I want to remember about 1994.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:19 AM   #2560
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Was looking at the recent DVD releases and noticed this

was released yesterday.

It is supposedly a 15 disc set that has all 7 games against the Devils and all 7 games against the Canucks. Of course it costs around $70 but...

"Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!"

Oh yes. 1994. I'm getting this one for sure

Here's to a great playoff series. Nothing like playing the Devils when it really matters. Hope history repeats itself
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #2561
st.cronin
General Manager

Remember at the beginning of the year, when people were saying the new rules would make Martin Brodeur obsolete? That was funny.

Martin Brodeur = most underappreciated great goalie of my lifetime

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #2562
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Remember at the beginning of the year, when people were saying the new rules would make Martin Brodeur obsolete? That was funny.

Martin Brodeur = most underappreciated great goalie of my lifetime

Is he really, tho? I mean he's pretty much second to Roy in this current era, right? Sure there are the Belfours and Haseks of the world, but they're more inconsistent with some years of greatness and some years of blah but year in year out, you know Brodeur is going to be there among the top 5 goalies.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #2563
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Is he really, tho? I mean he's pretty much second to Roy in this current era, right? Sure there are the Belfours and Haseks of the world, but they're more inconsistent with some years of greatness and some years of blah but year in year out, you know Brodeur is going to be there among the top 5 goalies.

SI

Yeah but Brodeur will still be disrespected after he breaks Roy's wins record.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #2564
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Yeah but Brodeur will still be disrespected after he breaks Roy's wins record.

It's not going to be wins that he needs- he needs cups to knock Roy off the throne.

SI

Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #2565
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

SI

If Mike Richter had Brodeur's resume, people would be calling him the greatest goalie of all time.

knives out
Old 04-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #2566
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
If Mike Richter had Brodeur's resume, people would be calling him the greatest goalie of all time.

Yeah, but that's because, by and large, people in New York are morons and a lot of people outside of New York have some fascination with getting stuff about that city shoved down their throat.

SI

Old 04-19-2006, 09:42 PM   #2567
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's not going to be wins that he needs- he needs cups to knock Roy off the throne.

SI

He only needs 1 cup to tie Roy, and I would be shocked if he didn't get it.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:47 PM   #2568
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah, but that's because, by and large, people in New York are morons and a lot of people outside of New York have some fascination with getting stuff about that city shoved down their throat.

SI

I can't argue with that. How about: If Dominik Hasek had Brodeur's resume, people would be calling him the greatest goalie of all time.

I've had people, fairly knowledgable hockey fans, try to tell me that Brodeur was an average goalie.

knives out
Old 04-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #2569
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Draft lottery results:

1. St. Louis Blues
2. Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Chicago Blackhawks
4. Washington Capitals
5. Boston Bruins
6. Columbus Blue Jackets
7. New York Islanders
8. Phoenix Coyotes
9. Minnesota Wild
10. Florida Panthers
11. Los Angeles Kings
12. Atlanta Thrashers
13. Toronto Maple Leafs
14. Vancouver Canucks

Blues win lottery.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:00 PM   #2570
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=163240&hubname=nhl

Canadian Press

4/19/2006 7:01:17 PM

NEW YORK (AP) - NHL attendance was up 2.4 per cent from the last season before the lockout, with the league setting records for average and total fans and the Montreal Canadiens selling out all of their home games to set a team record.

The NHL played to 91.7 percent of capacity, drawing 20,854,169 fans for 1,230 regular-season games for an average of 16,955. In 2003-04 - the last season before the lockout - the league drew 20,356,199 for an average of 16,550. The previous records of 16,760 a game and 20,614,613 overall were set in 2001-02.

"We can't thank our fans enough for the record support they showed," commissioner Gary Bettman said. "For all our clubs, a terrific season was made even better by the enthusiasm and encouragement our fans displayed night after night."

Montreal sold out all 41 homes games at 21,273-seat Bell Centre to set a team record with 872,193. The Canadiens broke the mark of 861,072 - or 21,002 per game - they set in 1996-97.

The Canadiens, New York Rangers, Calgary, Colorado, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Toronto and Vancouver played to 98 per cent of capacity or better over the full season.

The Avalanche sold out each game at 18,007-seat Pepsi Center, extending the NHL's longest current sellout streak to 480 games, including the playoffs. The streak began in November 1995 during the team's inaugural season in Denver.

Twenty-four of the 30 NHL clubs finished even with or ahead of their 2003-04 performance. The top gainers were Pittsburgh (up 33 per cent), Carolina (27 per cent), Calgary (16 per cent), Tampa Bay (15 per cent), Nashville (10 per cent), Buffalo (10 per cent), Ottawa (10 per cent), Boston (7 per cent) and San Jose (6 per cent).
Old 04-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #2571
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

The Maple Leafs fired Pat Quinn on Thursday, making the veteran coach the latest victim of Toronto's inability to recapture its hockey glory. The 63-year-old Quinn, who still had another year on his contract, leaves after seven seasons behind the Toronto bench.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=163311&hubname=nhl
Canadian Press

4/20/2006 11:52:19 AM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Craig Patrick, the Hall of Fame general manager who built the Pittsburgh Penguins' two Stanley Cup winning teams but had to tear the club apart because of financial problems, is being let go after nearly 17 years on the job.

Patrick's contract expires July 1, and team President Ken Sawyer said Thursday the Penguins will look for a new general manager.

"This was a difficult decision we did not take lightly," Sawyer said. "But we all agreed it was time to make a change and move forward."

Sawyer said it could be as long as two months before he names a new general manager.

Under Patrick, the Penguins had an especially lean front office, forcing him to not only handle personnel decisions, but also contract negotiations and scouting. Sawyer said the new general manager will be allowed to bring in more staff to better compete with other teams. ... Sawyer said the new general manager won't be allowed to replace Therrien as coach next season, and that Therrien will definitely return.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #2572
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

I'm amazed at how the reporters the the Leafs news conference were giving JFJ a hard time over this... I swear people in Toronto know nothing about hockey, it makes me ashamed to be a Leafs fan.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #2573
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/
4/20/2006 11:52:19 AM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Craig Patrick, the Hall of Fame general manager who built the Pittsburgh Penguins' two Stanley Cup winning teams but had to tear the club apart because of financial problems, is being let go after nearly 17 years on the job.

Patrick's contract expires July 1, and team President Ken Sawyer said Thursday the Penguins will look for a new general manager.

"This was a difficult decision we did not take lightly," Sawyer said. "But we all agreed it was time to make a change and move forward."

Sawyer said it could be as long as two months before he names a new general manager.

Under Patrick, the Penguins had an especially lean front office, forcing him to not only handle personnel decisions, but also contract negotiations and scouting. Sawyer said the new general manager will be allowed to bring in more staff to better compete with other teams. ... Sawyer said the new general manager won't be allowed to replace Therrien as coach next season, and that Therrien will definitely return.

Was pretty much expected here in Pittsburgh...I understand the move, but probably doesn't make selling the team any easier.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #2574
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Vogel
Was pretty much expected here in Pittsburgh...I understand the move, but probably doesn't make selling the team any easier.

I would think it would make it easier. the new ownership doesn't get stuck with someone else's hire.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #2575
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Draft lottery results:

Looking at the results, I have to figure that Pittsburgh is hoping the Blues take Kessell or Staals and leave Eric Johnson for them at #2. I'm thinking you'd love to have a potential star defenseman to go with your franchise forward.

Obviously, I'll be interested to see what the Thrashers do at #12 (if they don't trade up ... or God forbid, trade down). In the last 3 drafts, from the top 3 picks, they've taken 6 D's, 2 F's, and 1 G ... which leaves me to wonder whether it'll be back to a forward this time.

I like the look of Ty Wishart among defensemen that might be available, but he's in the same big man mold as Manson, Coburn, and Valabik, so maybe that makes him (and Nigel Williams) less likely. There looks to be a lot of centers high on the ISS list, I'm not sure whether there's a lot to separate the ones ranked in the mid teens to mid 20's, so maybe a deal downward just a little isn't as bad an idea as I first thought.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #2576
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
I'm amazed at how the reporters the the Leafs news conference were giving JFJ a hard time over this...
They're reporters, they're supposed to ask him hard questions. If all they wanted to do was fawn over the GM and tell him how great he was, they'd get jobs in Ottawa.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #2577
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think the Blues might be in love with Erik Johnson whos compared to a young Pronger, but they have glaring needs all over the ice, so a Kessel or Johnson wouldn't hurt.

I think Pitsburgh wouldn't mind either; A Kessel/Malkin/Crosby line is FREIGHTENING to think about. I think Washington has to hope Toews is there at four, but you never know.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #2578
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Penguins can make a case for either player.

Kessel, IMO, makes the most sense to the Blues because they have NO impact F's now. You can make a case for Jackman, Backman, and Brewer (if retained) making up a solid D, even though none is really a #1. Also, from a marketing standpoint, Kessel probably makes more sense.

I don't think you'll see Crosby and Malkin on the same line, they'll play 1-2 just like Mario and Ron Francis, or Sakic and Forsberg more recently. Getting Kessel gives one of them a go-to goal scorer though.

Johnson, I've heard the young Pronger comparison as well. If that holds true, in a couple years, a D of Johnson, R Whitney, N Welch and B Orpik...plus assume Gonchar is still around...works for me.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #2579
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Penguins can make a case for either player.

Kessel, IMO, makes the most sense to the Blues because they have NO impact F's now. You can make a case for Jackman, Backman, and Brewer (if retained) making up a solid D, even though none is really a #1. Also, from a marketing standpoint, Kessel probably makes more sense.

I don't think you'll see Crosby and Malkin on the same line, they'll play 1-2 just like Mario and Ron Francis, or Sakic and Forsberg more recently. Getting Kessel gives one of them a go-to goal scorer though.

Johnson, I've heard the young Pronger comparison as well. If that holds true, in a couple years, a D of Johnson, R Whitney, N Welch and B Orpik...plus assume Gonchar is still around...works for me.

Yeah the marketing aspect makes me think Kess is a lock for #1. Johnson is what Pittsburgh needs most, while the Blues need it all, but especially someone who can score. The Blues offense is atrocious and Kessel is a future 50 goal scorer who makes others around him better.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #2580
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Yeah the marketing aspect makes me think Kess is a lock for #1. Johnson is what Pittsburgh needs most, while the Blues need it all, but especially someone who can score. The Blues offense is atrocious and Kessel is a future 50 goal scorer who makes others around him better.

I've only seen Kessel a few times...but my impression was more of a sniper-type rather than a complete guy. I guess in the essence that he'll draw alot of attention, his linemates will get better chances, but not really a playmaker, is he?

Absolutely think he's a 50+ guy. Which is why he'd look nice next to Sid.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #2581
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'd just like to say that this draft talk and the upcoming playoffs have me itching to play some EHM.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #2582
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I've only seen Kessel a few times...but my impression was more of a sniper-type rather than a complete guy. I guess in the essence that he'll draw alot of attention, his linemates will get better chances, but not really a playmaker, is he?

Absolutely think he's a 50+ guy. Which is why he'd look nice next to Sid.

Kessel played on the Potulny PP line and had a boatload of assists, he can be a playmaker on the right line or he can score if that is what is asked of him.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:12 PM   #2583
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Kessel played on the Potulny PP line and had a boatload of assists, he can be a playmaker on the right line or he can score if that is what is asked of him.

Yup. See his 10 assists in the WJC playing with Borque. He's a complete offensive player.