Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #801
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Lordscarlet, do you have season tickets to the Nationals again? I am debating on buying a ticket off of stubhub for next Monday's game; is there a Metro stop by the Stadium?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #802
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Lordscarlet, do you have season tickets to the Nationals again? I am debating on buying a ticket off of stubhub for next Monday's game; is there a Metro stop by the Stadium?

I do, and there is. I'll be at Saturday's exhibition game and Monday's season opener. If you go, make sure you leave pretty early if you want to see the first pitch. Obama is throwing it out and security will be insane.

The New York Avenue Navy yard stop on the green line is right by the stadium. When you walk out you're basically funneled into the stadium. I would also recommend bringing a bottle of water if you are going to want to drink anything other than beer or soda. You're allowed to bring in up to a liter of unopened water. A 20 oz water is like $6 inside the stadium. You're also allowed to bring in food (unless they changed the rules, but I haven't heard anything of the sort).

If you have any other questions, let me know.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000

Last edited by lordscarlet : 03-30-2010 at 10:26 AM.
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #803
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
That may be, but I find it a little hard to believe that a city that has supported the M's as well as they have since the '95 run despite a lot of adversity in recent years, that has arguably the best home stadium advantage in the NFL with the Seahawks and the 12th man fans, and has spent over a billion dollars in the last decade building state of the art sports stadiums could really be judged to "care the least" about sports...

FWIW, Seattle was 18th in attendance per game last year; both in row numbers as well as percentage of capacity.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #804
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the info...is that the Navy Yard stop?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #805
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the info...is that the Navy Yard stop?

Uh, yeah.. I told you the wrong thing. Navy yard stop, not New York Avenue.

I take the bus.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #806
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I need to go see another Nats game this year. See how the neighborhood has changed. They're gradually tearing down the projects across the street and replacing them with more upscale stuff (at least until they have a flood and remember why it was a low income neighborhood to begin with).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #807
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
That may be, but I find it a little hard to believe that a city that has supported the M's as well as they have since the '95 run despite a lot of adversity in recent years, that has arguably the best home stadium advantage in the NFL with the Seahawks and the 12th man fans, and has spent over a billion dollars in the last decade building state of the art sports stadiums could really be judged to "care the least" about sports...

I lived or visited most major sports cities and after living in Seattle for 2 years I can say without a doubt they have the most apathetic sports fans in the country.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #808
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I lived or visited most major sports cities and after living in Seattle for 2 years I can say without a doubt they have the most apathetic sports fans in the country.
Cold hard numbers would argue strongly that you are wrong. Here's a few cities that, at least in terms of attendance, seem to be more apathetic:

Miami
San Diego
Atlanta

That's just after 5 minutes of cursory searching. If I wanted to spend more time really examining attendance, I bet I could find more that could be argued as more apathetic than Seattle.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #809
path12
Coordinator

Not to get all MLS on this thread but the Sounders are projected to have the 41st best attendance in the world this year.

We definitely ain't Philly/NYC when it comes to sports fans, but I don't see us as much different than most cities.

/hometown defending.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #810
molson
General Manager

Attendance doesn't tell the whole story. Seattle has a beautiful baseball stadium, in a great location.

From my limited experiences there, the crowd doesn't seem to have the rabid intensity of other places, but that's tough to quantify.

(And really, it's not like just enjoying your life and enjoying baseball and not going on a bender because your team lost is such a bad thing. Maybe more people in Seattle just have other stuff going on in their lives.)

Last edited by molson : 03-30-2010 at 01:44 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #811
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Not to get all MLS on this thread but the Sounders are projected to have the 41st best attendance in the world this year.

We definitely ain't Philly/NYC when it comes to sports fans, but I don't see us as much different than most cities.

/hometown defending.

Do you have a link to this? Not because I doubt you, I just think that list could be interesting.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #812
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Attendance doesn't tell the whole story. Seattle has a beautiful baseball stadium, in a great location.

From my limited experiences there, the crowd doesn't seem to have the rabid intensity of other places, but that's tough to quantify.

(And really, it's not like just enjoying your life and enjoying baseball and not going on a bender because your team lost is such a bad thing. Maybe more people in Seattle just have other stuff going on in their lives.)

This.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #813
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think it's fairly well settled that, with a few exceptions, the rabidness of a city's sports fan base is inversely proportional to its weather and women. That is, the harsher the weather and uglier the women, the more rabid the sports fan base will be. If the guys have other things to keep them busy (being outdoors with hot women), they will be less likely to pay attention to sports than guys snowed in with Godzilla's sister.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #814
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I need to go see another Nats game this year. See how the neighborhood has changed. They're gradually tearing down the projects across the street and replacing them with more upscale stuff (at least until they have a flood and remember why it was a low income neighborhood to begin with).

SI

I haven't seen much change over the past two years, honestly.

Do you mean a literal flood? I am not aware of that being a high flood area, but I really don't know one way or the other.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #815
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, wait, Milwaukee has the most passionate sports fans?

SI

Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #816
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I haven't seen much change over the past two years, honestly.

Do you mean a literal flood? I am not aware of that being a high flood area, but I really don't know one way or the other.

It looks like it's right on the water and just asking for a flood, which would explain why such a great location is, well, so poor

SI

Old 03-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #817
Ksyrup

Quote:

SI

More passionate than Miami, for sure. Hell, the Brewers have drawn over 3M fans since the team showed an inkling of challenging for the playoffs after a couple of decades of suckitude.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #818
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I found this a bit amusing...

Even The Washington Nationals' Ticket Website Knows They're Crap - Washington Nationals - Deadspin
Old 03-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #819
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

SI

I don't think the passion of the Packer fans needs to be questioned (considering all of Wisconsin) and the Brewers have drawn very well for the size of the market. The Bucks have stunk up until this year and play in a dump.

And yes, our women are fat and our winters suck. We love to drink beer which goes hand in hand with watching sports.

I'd say we have some damn passionate fans here in Wiscaaaaaaahhhhnsin.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #820
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, I had to choose between them and Minnesota, being as those are the two places with the worst weather in major sports. That or Buffalo.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-30-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #821
Ksyrup

I would throw Pittsburgh in there, too. It's not a coincidence that there are plenty of die-hard sports fans in the NE.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #822
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think there's a second "bad weather tier" that includes Pittsburgh, Philly, New York, Boston, etc.

But I think you'd be hard pressed to beat Milwaukee, Minneapolis, or Buffalo

SI

Old 03-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #823
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I think it's fairly well settled that, with a few exceptions, the rabidness of a city's sports fan base is inversely proportional to its weather and women. That is, the harsher the weather and uglier the women, the more rabid the sports fan base will be. If the guys have other things to keep them busy (being outdoors with hot women), they will be less likely to pay attention to sports than guys snowed in with Godzilla's sister.

I enjoyed this, thanks.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #824
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So that explains San Diego, Atlanta (with the exception of CFB) and Miami, but why Seattle?
Quote:

SI
If the current monsoon season hasn't done it, I doubt it's in a flood plain. And if a freak hurricane came up through the Potomac/Chesepeake, pretty much everything is in trouble.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #825
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Do you have a link to this? Not because I doubt you, I just think that list could be interesting.

I saw it quoted around a week ago and will try and dig it up tonight if I remember. It wasn't a list per se.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #826
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
So that explains San Diego, Atlanta (with the exception of CFB) and Miami, but why Seattle?

The west coast is naturally laid back.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #827
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Different styles I guess - Seattle baseball fans are not going to be overly loud and boisterous. I would suspect given the blog community here that our fan base is maybe a little more analytical and perhaps less demonstrative than others.

But that's certainly not the case with football - I don't think anyone can deny that Seahawks fans are quite loud and passionate. Husky football crowds have tamed a bit over the last decade as the fanbase has grown older and attendance has suffered through the Ty error, but historically Husky Stadium during the Don James years up through Neuheisel was the most intimidating place to play on the West Coast.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #828
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Okay I have decided I am going to the game. I see there are tickets on Stubhub but the one guy who we are going with (who lives in DC) swears that the game isn't sold out and that the Nationals are waiting till closer to the game to release tickets to in order to get more season ticket sales. Could this be true?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #829
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

At lunch today, I was watching the Twins-Yankees spring training game on TV and saw Denard Span line one into the stands and hit someone.

After a few minutes, they helped the lady up and I noticed she had a Twins jersey as they showed her. Couple minutes later, she's walking away, and it turns out she had a Span jersey on. At this time, I'm thinking, what are the odds of Span hitting a fan that's wearing his jersey?

Well, it turned out to be his biggest fan.

Quote:
TAMPA, Fla. -- Minnesota Twins outfielder Denard Span hit a foul ball that struck his mother in the chest in the first inning of Wednesday's spring training game against the New York Yankees.
Wanda Wilson was wearing a Span jersey and sitting with about 20 family members and friends near the third-base dugout. Span, batting leadoff, took a defensive swing against Yankees starter Phil Hughes in the first inning and hit a liner right at her in the box seats.
A stunned Span sprinted from the batters' box to the stands and stayed with his mother while paramedics treated her. The split-squad game was delayed for a few minutes as she was taken to first aid, and the Twins said she was sore but OK.
Span returned to the plate with the count 3-2 and struck out looking on the next pitch. The Twins originally said Span would leave the game, but his mother was sitting in a different seat by the bottom of the first inning and he went to center field.
She was treated by paramedics and back in the stands minutes later, but eventually went to a hospital after being convinced by medical personnel at the stadium.
Span flied out in the second inning, then left in the bottom of the third, telling a team official he wasn't mentally into the game. Span and his mother spent time together after he departed.
The AL co-leader in triples last season was born and raised in Tampa. Span regularly volunteers to make the long trip from the Twins' spring training home in Fort Myers when Minnesota visits the Yankees so he can see his family.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #830
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Well, it turned out to be his biggest fan.

Not anymore.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #831
Logan
Head Coach

Probably just poor writing, but this is a weird sentence:

Quote:
Span regularly volunteers to make the long trip from the Twins' spring training home in Fort Myers when Minnesota visits the Yankees so he can see his family.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #832
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Okay I have decided I am going to the game. I see there are tickets on Stubhub but the one guy who we are going with (who lives in DC) swears that the game isn't sold out and that the Nationals are waiting till closer to the game to release tickets to in order to get more season ticket sales. Could this be true?

Quite so.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #833
MikeVic
Head Coach

Not looking forward to the Blue Jays too much.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #834
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Probably just poor writing, but this is a weird sentence:

I noticed that as well, and didn't understand it at all.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:03 PM   #835
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Not looking forward to the Blue Jays too much.

The only way the Nationals can go is up, right?

Right?

Please?

mommy.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #836
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
The only way the Nationals can go is up, right?

Right?

Please?

mommy.

Exactly. I know in the past few years, the Jays weren't expected to win the division or anything... but at least there was a slight chance they could steal a Wild Card spot. They had Halladay and another decent SP, so all they needed was some other pieces to fall in place. Now, I don't think I'm looking forward to any aspect of the team.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #837
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Exactly. I know in the past few years, the Jays weren't expected to win the division or anything... but at least there was a slight chance they could steal a Wild Card spot. They had Halladay and another decent SP, so all they needed was some other pieces to fall in place. Now, I don't think I'm looking forward to any aspect of the team.

Get back to me when you have two 100+ loss seasons in a row. After the first one you think "It can't get worse, right?" Think again.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #838
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Nats320 -- A Washington Nationals Blog: $5 Seats For Opening Day

Old 03-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #839
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #840
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Aww, come on now. There's still Hill, Lind, Snider, Ruiz, Marcum, Romero, Rzepczynski, Morrow and likely Cecil right off the bat to watch/cheer for/be entertained by.

And probably before the end of the year, add McGowan, Purcey, Drabek, Wallace and Arencibia.

And who knows, maybe Wells will even start to climb back into form. That may be wishful thinking

Not saying they're going to compete for a wild card this year, but there are a lot of nice building blocks in place. Health still seems to be an issue but that's your (potential) future at nearly every spot other than 3B and short (not sure what's up with the kid they just signed and when he may make an appearance, but if he pans out as well that'll be a big bonus).
Old 03-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #841
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Aww, come on now. There's still Hill, Lind, Snider, Ruiz, Marcum, Romero, Rzepczynski, Morrow and likely Cecil right off the bat to watch/cheer for/be entertained by.

And probably before the end of the year, add McGowan, Purcey, Drabek, Wallace and Arencibia.

And who knows, maybe Wells will even start to climb back into form. That may be wishful thinking

Not saying they're going to compete for a wild card this year, but there are a lot of nice building blocks in place. Health still seems to be an issue but that's your (potential) future at nearly every spot other than 3B and short (not sure what's up with the kid they just signed and when he may make an appearance, but if he pans out as well that'll be a big bonus).

Oh, Travis, your optimism knows no bounds....

johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #842
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Oh, Travis, your optimism knows no bounds....

Oh, trust me, I'm not saying they're going to contend this year, but I'd rather watch the (hopeful) stars of tomorrow than the aging wrecks (yes, I'm looking at you Overbay) that aren't doing anything in the now. I understand getting Wallace some seasoning and (I'm assuming) retaining control of him a bit longer, but I'd much rather watch him at first than Overbay. Ditto for the situation at SS though at least it sounds like they're working on that. Ruiz is a bit of an aberration to that, but he's got quite a storyline of his own going that is pretty cool in it's own right.

I will admit though that while I'm anticipating some growing pains out of the pitching staff, they should still provide some pretty electric games this season. Won't always be pretty but there are a lot of talented arms there.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #843
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Get back to me when you have two 100+ loss seasons in a row. After the first one you think "It can't get worse, right?" Think again.

So, how 'bout dem Royals

SI

Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #844
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm having cautious optimism right now for the Chisox, I really think that pitching staff is going to be nasty.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #845
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I'm having cautious optimism right now for the Chisox, I really think that pitching staff is going to be nasty.

My thoughts, too. What worries me is the offense. Will Beckham break out this year, can Quentin rebound, is Jones able to find some of his old magic?, etc. Way too many question marks right now for me to get *too* comfortable. I do think it'll be a dogfight between us, Minnesota, and very possibly Detroit. Cleveland and Kansas City won't be in it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #846
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
So, how 'bout dem Royals

SI

My condolences.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #847
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah, well, I'm going to be up in DC next weekend and going to a Orioles game instead of a Nats so take that!

(never mind that the Nats aren't in town)

SI

Old 04-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #848
Bad-example
College Starter

Brent Mayne sounds ready for the regular season.

Quote:
So here we are in the last week of spring training. Not the funnest of all times for a pro. For starters, your seeing some guys get cut or sent down who you may never see again. One day they’re your teammate, the next day the lockers empty and it’s like they disappeared. If they got released, odds are your paths will never meet again. Not fun.

If you’re a bubble guy fighting for that last spot, this time is murder. Will you be traded, sent to the minors, or maybe grabbing a roster spot? Where should you tell the wife to send the boxes? Do you need to go out and buy a suitfor the plane flights or a new pair of sweats for the bus rides? Pressure city.

The other thing about the last week of spring training is nobody really wants to be there. Regardless of if your swing feels perfect or crappy, everyone is ready to make it count. I had springs where I hit .500 and felt great going into the season. I also had springs where I felt like I was going into battle equipped with a pocket knife for a weapon cause my swing was so anemic. Either way, about now everyone wants to get the hell out of Arizona or Florida to test their acts under the bright lights.

Your also pretty sick of the early morning schedule. Ball players, (unless you play for the Cubs) are like vampires. We don’t like mornings. About now, guys are really looking forward to nights games, late nights, and sleeping in.

Another factor is baseball players have troubles staying in one place for too long. About now, that condo or hotel you’ve been occupying for the past five or six weeks during spring has gotten real old. Time to get on the road, do the traveling circus thing. You’re also completely sick of the crappy rent a car you’ve been using.

You’re done with the conditioning. Done with the B games, done with only getting a few at bats a game, done with the sandwiches after the game, done with getting stuck behind old people on your way to the ball park. Done being so close to the fans. Done having pitchers run in the outfield while you’re trying to hit. Done facing kids you’ve never seen before and have no idea where the balls going. Done with those goofy spring training hats. Done practicing first and third situations. Done with PFP. And above all, done with catching eight million bullpens a day. Done. Done. Done.

Geez, to be honest, the very best spring trainings I ever had were the ones that were affected by labor negotiations. The ones that went about 3-4 weeks. Perfect. In my opinion, that was the perfect amount of time to get ready for the season.

Either way, were almost there…another spring in the books. Let the games begin.

Blog « Brent Mayne
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #849
Atocep
Coordinator

David Wright now has 5 homers this spring. Spring numbers generally don't mean shit, but that is actually half his total from last season. I'm guessing they fixed his swing and got him to lengthen his stride again because there's no way he'd hit 5 homers in 50ish ABs swinging like he did last year.

Of course, he's a Met so he'll be on the DL by May.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #850
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I watched almost every Met game last year and you can chalk up Wrights season to pressing to much.

Last edited by Lathum : 04-02-2010 at 04:38 PM.