Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #251
Izulde
Head Coach

when I try and get to the sortitoutsi site, it gives me a connection error. So I'm guessing their site is down? I was looking to see what WSM stuff they had for d/l.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:53 PM   #252
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Are any of you guys running the game on a computer as crappy as mine (P3 900 MHz, 256 MB RAM). If you are and having good results I'll consider downloading the demo, but I don't want to waste time downloading the demo, if its gonna be crappy on my PC.

My computer is a P3 900 MHz, 384 MB RAM machine running Windows ME. (insert any attempt at a reasonable excuse for running Windows ME here)

I just received my copy from gogamer this afternoon before leaving for work. I installed it and the patch. Then I shutdown almost all other running programs. I did leave a screen saver running.

I started the game with minimum database and only the NHL active. Then I let the game run unattended without taking over any team for the next 8 hours. It was able to get through 3 years and 1 month in that time.

While that is not fast, neither is a P3 900 MHz by today's standards. I think it will be quite playable on my system until I upgrade my computer.

A sample of some stats from those 3 years:

The Stanley Cup winners
'05 New Jersey Devils over the Detroit Red Wings
'06 Ottawa Senators over the San Jose Sharks
'07 Vancouver Canucks over the Ottawa Senators

Most team wins in a season was in '05-'06 by the Blues with 59 wins.
And, the Capitals recorded 1402 penalty minutes in '04-'05. Wow.

Last edited by twothree : 06-07-2005 at 11:54 PM.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #253
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I ran across another little bug, or so it seems.

I recently had a run of game misconducts (oops!), which led to a few one game suspensions. I had the oppurtunity to appeal, so I did. (That slash wasn't that bad! There wasn't even any blood! Ok. Well, there was a little blood. But come on, he's a bleeder!) Anyway, while the NHL was considering my appeal my next game came up and my player (Nathan Horton) was suspended for the game. So he misses the game. The next day or so the NHL comes back and says that they agreed with me and the player shouldn't have been suspended. Problem is, of course, that he was already suspended and missed the game!

So the short of it is that while an appeal is pending the player should not serve the suspension. The player should only serve the suspension following the appeal process and if the suspension is upheld.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #254
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree
And, the Capitals recorded 1402 penalty minutes in '04-'05. Wow.

Bah. That's nothing. Buncha boy scouts. In my dynasty, the '04-'05 Capitals had a whopping 1,688 penalty minutes. I, of course, am their GM.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-08-2005 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:50 AM   #255
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
when I try and get to the sortitoutsi site, it gives me a connection error. So I'm guessing their site is down? I was looking to see what WSM stuff they had for d/l.

Hmmm.. I had an issue the other day, but then I reloaded the page and it came up just fine.

http://ehm.sortitoutsi.net/

Tons of neat stuff, including team specific skins, team hockey rinks, commentary file, etc...

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:47 AM   #256
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Honolulu_Blue

do you coach your own game, or let the head coach do it?

have you notice if you let the head coach do it, that it always picks the default tactic that comesd with the game. it seems like he never changes it during the season.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:28 AM   #257
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Honolulu_Blue

do you coach your own game, or let the head coach do it?

have you notice if you let the head coach do it, that it always picks the default tactic that comesd with the game. it seems like he never changes it during the season.

If you let your coach decide the tactics (by leaving the "Use current tactics" option to NO) then the coach will apply his own tactics in the games, but will not change the tactics you have setup in your tactics screen. So his tactics are done for each game but they do not overwrite the human players own tactics that are show on the screen.
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #258
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
If you let your coach decide the tactics (by leaving the "Use current tactics" option to NO) then the coach will apply his own tactics in the games, but will not change the tactics you have setup in your tactics screen. So his tactics are done for each game but they do not overwrite the human players own tactics that are show on the screen.

Nice tip, thanks.

Todd
Old 06-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #259
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

Hey riz,

I've been reading issues about team morale and terrible winning records over on the forums at SI, does morale have that big of an affect.. and if so does it correlate with massive losing streaks?

Thanks,

Todd
Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 AM   #260
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz

thanks riz.

so there no way to see what kind of tactic your head coach is using for the game?

can you watch the game only, when you let the head coach, coach his own game?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #261
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
dola,

Hey riz,

I've been reading issues about team morale and terrible winning records over on the forums at SI, does morale have that big of an affect.. and if so does it correlate with massive losing streaks?

Thanks,

Todd

See Stars, Dallas.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #262
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

How do others approach scouting? Particularly when do you send scouts to look at the upcoming entry draft talent, and where do you place them in general? With last years version I usually had them set-up like this:

- Advance Scout
- 2 for Entry Draft
- Scout for my own team (is there any other way to get reports on your own team)
- Schortlist scout

Also, how do you scout your own prospects? And what does "youth players" mean?
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #263
jbmagic
Pro Starter

how many scouts is good to have?

how many trainers is good to have?

is there a requirement how many you need for scouts, tainers, coaches?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #264
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ask these questions over at SI: http://community.sigames.com/eve/ubb.x

The EHM forums have some good info in them... and these are also questions I've been wondering about.

Joe - how good is the manual?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #265
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:

Not sure, haven't taken a look at it, I actually don't even know where it is at the moment... but for particular's like this, last years wasn't that big of a help.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #266
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

The EHM forums have some good info in them... and these are also questions I've been wondering about.

i dont have the game yet. still playing the gold demo.

Honolulu_Blue said the manual was pretty good. it explains a lot.

i might just order it, or wait for the DD if the price is better.
if not i might wait until it comes to the states.

let me know your view on the manual when you get your game please. thanks

opps wrong Joe.
my name is Joe too

Last edited by jbmagic : 06-08-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #267
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

The manual is decent for the basics. It's pretty thick actually. But for the little things and details it sort of lets you figure things out for yourself.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #268
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
How do others approach scouting? Particularly when do you send scouts to look at the upcoming entry draft talent, and where do you place them in general? With last years version I usually had them set-up like this:

- Advance Scout
- 2 for Entry Draft
- Scout for my own team (is there any other way to get reports on your own team)
- Schortlist scout

This is how I tend to handle scouting. I'll begin at the start of a season.

In August or so, I go to my "Transactions" page and look back at all the recent prospects I drafted or traded for that aren't currently in the NHL or AHL. I dispatch scouts to look at al of them. It takes a few minutes to do, but I like to get a yearly update on how each prospect is progressing.

In September I dispatch my scouts. One is sent to look at youth players: Which I take to mean players betwee 15-18 or so. I send the others to scout the top hockey nations: Canada, Czech, Finland, Sweden, Russia, and the US. I also may look at Slovakia and every once in a while Denmark, Norway, or Slovenia.

Then around Decemberish I send five scouts out to scout the "NHL Draft." After I get reports (usually in March or so), I take a look at the rankings and look for any ranked players (top 200) who I haven't scouted. I send scouts out to watch these guys (this process can take a while), filling in the gaps as it were.

Based on that program I tend to have pretty decent coverage. I am typically very pleased with my drafts unless a particular year is just god awful thin.

I tend to employ around 6-9 scouts or so. Perhaps that's more than I need, but I like scouting.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:39 PM   #269
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
This is how I tend to handle scouting. I'll begin at the start of a season.

In August or so, I go to my "Transactions" page and look back at all the recent prospects I drafted or traded for that aren't currently in the NHL or AHL. I dispatch scouts to look at al of them. It takes a few minutes to do, but I like to get a yearly update on how each prospect is progressing.

In September I dispatch my scouts. One is sent to look at youth players: Which I take to mean players betwee 15-18 or so. I send the others to scout the top hockey nations: Canada, Czech, Finland, Sweden, Russia, and the US. I also may look at Slovakia and every once in a while Denmark, Norway, or Slovenia.

Then around Decemberish I send five scouts out to scout the "NHL Draft." After I get reports (usually in March or so), I take a look at the rankings and look for any ranked players (top 200) who I haven't scouted. I send scouts out to watch these guys (this process can take a while), filling in the gaps as it were.

Based on that program I tend to have pretty decent coverage. I am typically very pleased with my drafts unless a particular year is just god awful thin.

I tend to employ around 6-9 scouts or so. Perhaps that's more than I need, but I like scouting.

I need to start compiling all these help posts.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 06-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #270
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

A slightly easier way to do this is to go to the roster screen and use the filter menu and check the unsigned prospects. That will give you a roster screen of every player not currently under contract to you that you hold rights to.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #271
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
A slightly easier way to do this is to go to the roster screen and use the filter menu and check the unsigned prospects. That will give you a roster screen of every player not currently under contract to you that you hold rights to.

This is very true.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #272
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

grrrrr :-( I want this game now :-(
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #273
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian

See above to get to the prospect screen. On each player, under the action menu, click scout player. It's a pain, but you have to do that for each one. A nice "scout all prospects" button in the scouting menu would be a welcome addition.

Youth players are just that. In the WHL, the youth players scouts for players that are between 12 and 16, 2 years under the drafting age, and 1 year older. I would suspect that the NHL youth players does the same thing, only probably 16 to 19 or 20 years of age.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #274
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Any word on the downloadable version?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #275
condors
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
Any word on the downloadable version?

i am waiting for the download as well
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:57 PM   #276
scooter
High School Varsity

Posted by Marc Duffy (of SI) on the SI Forums on June 5:

The contracts are still bouncing around legal, but not so long now.

And on June 7:

It's looking like the tail end of this week / next week
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #277
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter

And on June 7:

Woot... glad I decided to wait for download version and didn't get from GoGamer.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #278
Karim
College Starter

At the rate so far, the lockout will be over by the time this game gets to me...

Never.... EVER.... pre-order and cheap out on shipping....
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #279
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Woot... glad I decided to wait for download version and didn't get from GoGamer.

You almost made me regret my purchase from gogamer, then I checked my email and read that it will be delivered tomorrow.

Todd
Old 06-08-2005, 09:00 PM   #280
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter

And on June 7:

Look for the Moose Jaw dynasty to begin at the tail end of this week or the beginning of next week!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #281
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
At the rate so far, the lockout will be over by the time this game gets to me...

Never.... EVER.... pre-order and cheap out on shipping....

My game just arrived today here in New Orleans, so you're probably only a day or two off. I hope so, anyway.

Time to lead the Devils to glory!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:12 AM   #282
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I am getting seriously flooded with offers for my backup goalie Ari Ahonen right now. I don't really want to trade him, but the front office wants me to win the Cup this season. If I can get one more scorer, I may have to make a deal.

riz, I love this game. Great job!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:35 AM   #283
SegRat
High School Varsity

How is player interaction compared to FM 2005?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:07 AM   #284
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat
How is player interaction compared to FM 2005?

Compared to FM 2005? Almost non-existant. Compared to EHM 2004, pretty good.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:07 AM   #285
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
See above to get to the prospect screen. On each player, under the action menu, click scout player. It's a pain, but you have to do that for each one. A nice "scout all prospects" button in the scouting menu would be a welcome addition.

I would second this suggestion. I spent far too much time with last year's version of EHM clicking the scout player button 800 times or more per season trying to scout all the players available for the WHL draft (I was the Brandon Wheat Kings). It would be perfect to be able to select a group of players or to select "scout all prospects" like klayman suggests. This change would seem to be something easy to implement. It would make the game much more enjoyable for me.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #286
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I am getting seriously flooded with offers for my backup goalie Ari Ahonen right now. I don't really want to trade him, but the front office wants me to win the Cup this season. If I can get one more scorer, I may have to make a deal.

riz, I love this game. Great job!

Ari Ahonen?? Not sure I'd be praising the game...

~rpi-fan
Old 06-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #287
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
All right. I started a tester career with the Wings. I played through the pre-season, right up through the waiver draft (I am control freak. I cannot release total control). I sgined some free agents (namely: Kovalev, Lindros, Palffy, Zhitnik.), and MacInnis (just because I could and it makes the St. Louis trio complete: Shanahan, Joseph, and MacInnis, and it would drive virtual primelord insane )).

We'll see what happens. More to come...

There should be some sort of logic in the code that stops things like that from hapenning. Or even better. Some logic in the code that keeps the Red Wings from ever winning a game.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:42 AM   #288
jbmagic
Pro Starter

is it true if you change tactics a lot, that the players will have a hard time to adjust and not play well?

anybody know how the waiver thing works on EHM?

for people that have the game does the manual cover how waiver works in EHM?

thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 10:53 AM   #289
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
is it true if you change tactics a lot, that the players will have a hard time to adjust and not play well?

anybody know how the waiver thing works on EHM?

for people that have the game does the manual cover how waiver works in EHM?

thanks

Actually, the manual doesn't provide a very good description of how the waiver draft works.

Here is a detailed explanation of waiver rules from NHL.com:

http://proicehockey.about.com/gi/dyn...html%23waivers
Old 06-09-2005, 11:19 AM   #290
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Ari Ahonen?? Not sure I'd be praising the game...

Hey, Ari Ahonen is going... to... be... a... star.

Right?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:23 AM   #291
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Ha ha. It's November 15 in my game, and Glen Sather has already dropped the ax on his coach in New York. Now I really love this game!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:31 AM   #292
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wife called.......some game just came.

Don't worry Primelord.. we WILL beat Detroit!!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 06-09-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:24 PM   #293
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

What are you going to do, GM the Wings?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #294
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

But not Colorado, and that's the important thing.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #295
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'll be happy extending our playoff streak to 25.

Todd
Old 06-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #296
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Compared to FM 2005? Almost non-existant. Compared to EHM 2004, pretty good.
Its not as evolved as FM2005, not least because FM has a 8 year head start on the games maturity ...

However imho its very good and solid, so much in fact that we've borrowed some ideas from it for FM2006 ..
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #297
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
However imho its very good and solid, so much in fact that we've borrowed some ideas from it for FM2006 ..

WHAT DID YOU BORROW!?!?! WHAT DID YOU BORROW?!?!?!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #298
scooter
High School Varsity

It has finally arrived. Adios
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #299
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Am I the only one who plays (or will play) strictly as a GM? I admit that I choose which players dress and which don't, but I don't set lines or strategies. I let the head coach handle that. Hell, I don't even watch the games. I just look at the boxscore and stats. I was tempted to ask whether I was really missing the way the game was "supposed to be" enjoyed, but since I'm having fun, it doesn't really matter if I only choose to do certain things. I just want to know if anyone else has decided to do this the same way, out of curiosity.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:30 PM   #300
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Am I the only one who plays (or will play) strictly as a GM? I admit that I choose which players dress and which don't, but I don't set lines or strategies. I let the head coach handle that. Hell, I don't even watch the games. I just look at the boxscore and stats. I was tempted to ask whether I was really missing the way the game was "supposed to be" enjoyed, but since I'm having fun, it doesn't really matter if I only choose to do certain things. I just want to know if anyone else has decided to do this the same way, out of curiosity.

If/when I get the game, this will be the way I play.