Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2005, 07:12 PM   #401
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

riz: Just to reiterate the idea from earlier...

It would be VERY nice if there was a "scout all unsigned prospects" button, or somesuch.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:41 PM   #402
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
riz: Just to reiterate the idea from earlier...

It would be VERY nice if there was a "scout all unsigned prospects" button, or somesuch.

How about a "scout all players in system" which would send the scout out to look at all of players under contract to you and unsigned prospects including your NHL club, your affiliates, and prospects...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:48 PM   #403
sabotai
General Manager

*checks sigames.com again to see if download version is out yet*

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:07 PM   #404
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai

Ditto.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:08 PM   #405
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

not me. i'm just waitin here for someone to post that the DL version is out. although it's good that someone is checking every what...couple hours guys?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #406
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
not me. i'm just waitin here for someone to post that the DL version is out. although it's good that someone is checking every what...couple hours guys?

....couple of minutes. Well, not right now. They wouldn't release it late Sunday night. But when I get home from work tomorrow, if it isn't out by then....every couple of minutes.

damn lawyers...
Old 06-12-2005, 11:01 PM   #407
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
....couple of minutes. Well, not right now. They wouldn't release it late Sunday night. But when I get home from work tomorrow, if it isn't out by then....every couple of minutes.

damn lawyers...

I want it to come out just so we can get some really good discussion going on about the game.. I'm still learning.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #408
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

Because you thought things were gonna be hammered down over the weekend?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:54 AM   #409
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm at the trade deadline, and my Devils need another scorer. Langenbrunner has been out almost all season with a torn ACL. In desperation, I brought Dave Andreychuk back for some leadership. He promptly strains his rotator cuff and is out until the playoffs. I've been going back and forth with Buffalo over Maxim Afinogenov, and every time I think we're close to a deal, they demand Jeff Friesen. I'm offering the rights to my second-best defenseman prospect, a third-round pick in the upcoming draft, a second-round pick in the following draft, and Jay Pandolfo, but they won't go for it. I've tried offering the rights to two of my prospects along with the picks, but they don't like that either. It seems like it's Friesen or nothing, and I ain't giving up Jeff Friesen. I'm going to keep working at it, though.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:57 AM   #410
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dola

I love how the counteroffers come immediately right at the trade deadline. Teams can take a day or two during the season to come up with something, but since the deadline is practically RIGHT NOW, the offers have to come fast, and they certainly do. I've gone back and forth with the Sabres about 10 times already over this Afinogenov deal. Every frickin' time, they include Friesen in the deal. I'm still trying to work this out. It's frustrating, and I love it.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:02 AM   #411
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Double dola

Finally! It took my up-and-coming young center Adrian Foster, the rights to two prospects, and my third-round pick, but I got the deal done. All I get is Afinogenov, but I need a scorer who's got some speed, and he's got three more years on his contract. I hope he fits in with my system because I'm giving up a lot for him. I just need some scoring to make this playoff run happen. Now I need a backup goalie in case (God forbid) Brodeur gets hurt.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:09 AM   #412
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Pumpy Tudors

that awesome that you cant rip the computer teams.

seems like the cpu teams are smart.

its no fun, if you can trade anything to the cpu.

total pro basketball 2005 also has a smart cpu trade logic too.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:12 AM   #413
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Some might say that I got ripped, considering that Afinogenov has been, at best, a 20-goal scorer, but I'm going to attribute that to playing in Buffalo for 5 years. For a while there, I thought that they absolutely would not consider any deal that didn't include Jeff Friesen, but I finally got it done after tons of negotations. Even if Afinogenov doesn't pan out, I had a lot of fun just trying to pry him out of Buffalo.

I have a feeling that I'm going to get fired at the end of the season for making that move, though.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:14 AM   #414
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

BWAHAHAHAHA! Jaromir Jagr just got traded to Atlanta! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:20 AM   #415
JeffR
High School JV

Heh, he got traded to Boston in my game. I like to imagine the expression on Harry Sinden's face as he signs Jagr's paychecks.

(And the B's still aren't doing anything with him in the lineup - 8th in East in mid-2007-08, and Samsonov and Thornton want to be traded...)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:45 AM   #416
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

My Devils missed the playoffs by one point. One point. I'll be lucky if I get to stick around for another season, I think.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:48 AM   #417
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Double dola

Finally! It took my up-and-coming young center Adrian Foster, the rights to two prospects, and my third-round pick, but I got the deal done. All I get is Afinogenov, but I need a scorer who's got some speed, and he's got three more years on his contract. I hope he fits in with my system because I'm giving up a lot for him. I just need some scoring to make this playoff run happen. Now I need a backup goalie in case (God forbid) Brodeur gets hurt.

I picked up Foster in my 3rd season with the Caps. I grabbed him in the waiver draft. He was a 24 year old center who was never given a shot in the NHL, but had torn up the AHL the last two season (over 80 points). He can play in the show. He doesn't have the greatest skill set, but has a fantastic set of wheels. He ended up making the NHL Rookie All-Star team.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:11 AM   #418
jbmagic
Pro Starter

any tips for when a prospect is ready to come to the nhl?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #419
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
any tips for when a prospect is ready to come to the nhl?

It varies prospect by prospect really. Some guys (not many) can make the leap right after the draft. For most it's best to let them stay in juniors or wherever for a year or two. Monitor their progress and then bring them up to your minor league team and see what happens.

Your scouts will give you an indication if the kid is ready to play or not. Also, I tend to invite my prospects to training camp so I can see how they play against NHL level talent and give my coaches a chance to watch them up close. The feedback following camp is pretty useful, though I wouldn't take it as gospel.

I don't think there is any hard rule on this. Though you can burn guys out by bringing them up too quickly. I have been pretty lucky so far and haven't had this happen. I have seen players sort of get caught up in the minors and never really develop. Though you have to wonder if that's becasue they just were never that good to begin with or is it because I never gave them a chance. Who knows?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-13-2005, 09:32 AM   #420
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Honolulu_blue thanks

guys i found a tip at SI forum if you wan rating to be 1-100 instead of 1-20.

If you want 1-100, open extra_config.cfg (from the database/data folder) in notepad, and add this line to the very bottom:

"ALT_DISPLAY_VALUES"

Next time you load the game up, the range will be 1-100 Smile.

i still like 1-20 myself
Old 06-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #421
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just noticed an odd, but very cool thing that I had never seen before.

I sent my scouts to look over my prospects when the year began. A report came up for a defenseman, Rob Allan, I drafted last in the 4th round. He has decent defensive ratings, but isn't projected to be anything more than a no. 5 or 6 defensemen. I couldn't pass up his 18 strength and 19 aggression, however. I love me some tough, hard-hitting blueliners.

Anyways... So, I am looking at this prospect and on the "Information" screen, under "Interested" and "Future" there is a heading called "Mental Characteristics." I have never seen this "Mental Characteristics" heading before. Is this rare? Is this only for a few players? If not, how can I see other players' "Mental Characteristics"? Allan's Mental Characteristics are listed as: Realist, Competitive, Very Agressive. Me likey!!

Why can I see this for Allan, but not for any other of my prospects/players? Any thoughts? I love stuff like this.

Also, this kid is entering his 4th season in the OHL. He's dropped the gloves 20 times and has won 20 times. The undisputed Heavy Weight Champion of the OHL. I will have a place on my team for this kid in the future. Write it down.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:35 AM   #422
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dola.

Ok, I just started looking at my other prospects and it seems I have this "Mental Characteristics" category for some, but not all. I guess some fellas just aren't all that special.

One is very troubling. I traded up in the first round of this past draft to grab goalie, Todd Dube. He looks fantastic and it was time to get a blue chip goalie prospect into the system.

His Mental Characteristics:
Unambitious
Realist
Mercenary
Strong Character
Relaxed

While, I think a relaxed goaltender isn't a bad thing. And I like the strong character bit, but the unambitious (lazy?) and mercenary attributes have me a bit nervous...
Old 06-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #423
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

these mental characteristics exist in FM2005. Fwiw, the ambitious one often means a player may want to move to a team that will give him a chance of winning trophies and cups and championship. It happened to me, where an ambitious striker absolutely wanted to move out of town because he said he didn't think we could achieve as much as he wanted to. The opposite characteristics, unambitious, would then not reall mean a lazy player, but more one that doesn't really care if the team wins many trophies. Good? Bad? I'm not too sure...

FM
Old 06-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #424
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I know that in FM the 'temperamental' guys are the ones to avoid if at all possible as they can become team cancers pretty quickly. If the team chemistry is as crucial as it seems to be in EHM (seems to be even moreso than in FM), then it would be especially important to run from these guys.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:42 AM   #425
superbama
H.S. Freshman Team

*waits for D/L to become available*
superbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #426
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Ok, I just started looking at my other prospects and it seems I have this "Mental Characteristics" category for some, but not all. I guess some fellas just aren't all that special.

You'll only see the mental characteristics on players who are regens - not for anyone who was included in the game.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #427
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj
You'll only see the mental characteristics on players who are regens - not for anyone who was included in the game.

Gotcha. That was actually what I thought, especially since they have become much more prevalent in later drafts.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #428
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i didn't think i was going to die without it, but now i think I might.

*waiting for d/l*
Old 06-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #429
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

die another day daddy torgo.. you're stronger than us weak people...
Old 06-13-2005, 02:03 PM   #430
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm confused...i've been up since 4am...wtf does that mean Mizzou?
Old 06-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #431
Booj
High School JV

I think he means you're stronger because you've waited while the people who have the game stopped waiting a while ago...
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:47 PM   #432
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ah okay. i thought that's what he meant
Old 06-13-2005, 02:54 PM   #433
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Because you thought things were gonna be hammered down over the weekend?

You should learn to read the rest of the posts before replying.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:34 PM   #434
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quick question...do we now have a 2-D match engine in EHM 2005?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #435
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
You should learn to read the rest of the posts before replying.

What the hell are you talking about? The fact that other guys are being impatient over the weekend?
Old 06-13-2005, 04:37 PM   #436
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? The fact that other guys are being impatient over the weekend?

I said this in a post before your reply

"Well, not right now. They wouldn't release it late Sunday night"

Obviously I didn't think it was coming out over the weekend. You tried to "zing" me and failed miserably. Like I said, before you try to make someone look stupid, you should read the rest of the posts or else you'll end up looking like a fool.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:45 PM   #437
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
I said this in a post before your reply

"Well, not right now. They wouldn't release it late Sunday night"

Obviously I didn't think it was coming out over the weekend. You tried to "zing" me and failed miserably. Like I said, before you try to make someone look stupid, you should read the rest of the posts or else you'll end up looking like a fool.

Blah blah fuckety blah. Save the sad smiley for something important next time.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #438
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Blah blah fuckety blah. Save the sad smiley for something important next time.

Geez man. Who put sand in your vagina today? Settle down.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:01 PM   #439
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Quick question...do we now have a 2-D match engine in EHM 2005?

Snap shot views only. It's a very jerky picture of the action, but a better picture than EHM 2004 gave you. And this opinion comes from only watching a couple of replays of goals. I let my head coach manage my team, so I don't watch the play by play at all, where the 2d match engine might be completely different.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:15 PM   #440
Booj
High School JV

Riz,

When I export the game report to HTML on my Mac, the score is wrong (both cases the score was 3-1, and it showed up as 2-1) and whenever there is supposed to be a team name (next to goals, penalties or on top of the stats (faceoff, etc...) it is blank.

I assume this is because I have a Mac... but I'm not totally sure.

I would post this on the SI forums, but I can't get a username with my gmail account.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:22 PM   #441
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj
Riz,

When I export the game report to HTML on my Mac, the score is wrong (both cases the score was 3-1, and it showed up as 2-1) and whenever there is supposed to be a team name (next to goals, penalties or on top of the stats (faceoff, etc...) it is blank.

I assume this is because I have a Mac... but I'm not totally sure.

I would post this on the SI forums, but I can't get a username with my gmail account.

I had a 3-0 game that showed up as 3-1 in the HTML.

Todd
Old 06-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #442
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ah okay. i thought that's what he meant

Blah.. I was referencing Die Another Day - you know 007? ..and the fact you've waiting longer than me paying $5.99 for two night shipping to get the game now.. that's having patience.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:28 PM   #443
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well it's less about having patience and more about like...having enough else to do
Old 06-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #444
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
well it's less about having patience and more about like...having enough else to do

That's always a good thing as well.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:04 PM   #445
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i still playing the gold demo...waiting for the DD download or when it comes here to the states.

in the meantime, i am playing the NHL league. how do i bring up minor league players to my NHL roster.

i goto the LA kings minor league AHL and ECHL, and i know the players in green, i can bring to my NHL team. but i dont see how to do it.

thanks
Old 06-13-2005, 11:05 PM   #446
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
i still playing the gold demo...waiting for the DD download or when it comes here to the states.

in the meantime, i am playing the NHL league. how do i bring up minor league players to my NHL roster.

i goto the LA kings minor league AHL and ECHL, and i know the players in green, i can bring to my NHL team. but i dont see how to do it.

thanks

When you go to "Action..." on their profile screen, there should be a "Move To..." option, where you would select LA Kings.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:11 PM   #447
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
When you go to "Action..." on their profile screen, there should be a "Move To..." option, where you would select LA Kings.

thanks so much.

i was going crazy trying to find it
Old 06-13-2005, 11:11 PM   #448
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Another way, which gives you a more complete picture on your teams, is at the roster screen use the view button and select Roster Management. This will allow you to move your players between all your farm clubs while still showing you where everybody is. (Waiver rules still apply of course)
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:44 PM   #449
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Another way, which gives you a more complete picture on your teams, is at the roster screen use the view button and select Roster Management. This will allow you to move your players between all your farm clubs while still showing you where everybody is. (Waiver rules still apply of course)

Yes, that's a great screen.

Todd
Old 06-14-2005, 06:59 AM   #450
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I had a 3-0 game that showed up as 3-1 in the HTML.

Todd

I reported something similar from the demo (maybe even in this thread, I don't remember). Hopefully it gets fixed in the next patch.

B
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote