Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #151
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

From Eklund:
From a source, "It is very possible that Pronger gets traded to Atlanta in the next 24 hours."
Old 07-27-2005, 05:55 PM   #152
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

same old Bruins. they offered Thornton $5. he laughed.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:56 PM   #153
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
From Eklund:
From a source, "It is very possible that Pronger gets traded to Atlanta in the next 24 hours."

who is this? Pelle Eklund?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:41 PM   #154
Karim
College Starter

As much as I like Thornton, some of these 'stars' will have to swallow their prides and egos if they think they'll all be making 20% or close to it.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:41 PM   #155
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
who is this? Pelle Eklund?

hockeyrumors.blogspot.com

He's made a name for himself in this lockout...
Old 07-27-2005, 06:44 PM   #156
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
hockeyrumors.blogspot.com

He's made a name for himself in this lockout...

sort of like DJ Hradek, but with information that is actually accurate?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:50 PM   #157
Booj
High School JV

Hmmm...

Just went to his site and he reports Selanne is considering a move to Montreal to be with Saku Koivu and that the Canadiens are also in the hunt with Kariya... are these 2 guys at it again??

I haven't even thought of Kariya coming here, but I can now salivate about a Kariya-Koivu-Selanne line... I just hope they both sign for market contracts (since Montreal CAN afford it under the cap) and not the 2-for-1 deal.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:52 PM   #158
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
As much as I like Thornton, some of these 'stars' will have to swallow their prides and egos if they think they'll all be making 20% or close to it.

While this is very true, there are some 20%ers out there and it could be argued that Thornton has made a case to be one of the few. He and Nash were considered two of Canada's best players in the World Championships this year. If Tkachuk is making that kind of money...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:09 PM   #159
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The Blues are gonna be AWESOME! I mean, with those three, they can throw anyone else in the world on the ice with them and they'll win!

Oh, wait...
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #160
bbor
Pro Starter

Thorton should be a max guy....he IS that good.Most of the world does'nt know that because he plays in Boston....with...........???

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #161
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I agree with John Buccigross' take on Joe Thorton

Quote:
John,
I loved your column last year about wanting Joe Thornton to play with more passion. My question is, in the last year Thornton's established himself as one of Canada's best international players (World Cup and Worlds). Will that carry over to his next Bruins' season?
Thanks,
Mike Doucette

Judging by Thornton's play on Team Canada is irrelevant to the NHL. Team Canada is the best team in the world and it's EASY to play well on a team like that. Great linemates, no leadership responsibilities. Thornton just turned 26 (July 2) and it's time to grow into an NHL superstar. He has yet to show a will to be great. He is too big and his hands are too good not to be his team's best faceoff man. He shouldn't take stupid cheap shots with his stick that gets him penalized and suspended. But don't forget he had 101 points 2002-03, his plus-minus has improved four straight years and he's had five head coaches. The Bruins would be fools not to sign Big Joe.

And of course the Bruins have shown that they are fools.

The qualifying offer for Pronger and then Eklund saying there's going to be a trade, sounds like the Blues are doing what the Sabres wanted to do with Satan.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #162
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Buccigross is 100% correct.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #163
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and, honestly, I think Thornton has no desire to stay in Boston no matter what they offer him. The fact that their offer isn't very good just makes it easier for him on a PR level. He can't wait to get away from that organization
Old 07-27-2005, 09:48 PM   #164
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Maybe he can come to a smaller market and play with a certain LW that he played with in Switzerland and on Team Canada

Plus, he seems like the type of guy who would flourish not being in the spotlight, and we need a stud center and have plenty of cap room. Okay, i'm done dreaming for now, lol
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:00 PM   #165
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
sort of like DJ Hradek, but with information that is actually accurate?
Exactly.

Um, except for the "accurate" part.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:07 PM   #166
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Exactly.

Um, except for the "accurate" part.

The sad thing about Eklund, is that I believe he started with little or no sources to any information. However, he used his blog to become more and more popular and gained the trust of more and more sources. Over on HFBoards, Bob McKenzie comes on and posts a decent amount, and he said that he knows for a fact that Eklund now has some good sources.

EDIT: Found the McKenzie post

"I have said it before, I will say it again...when it comes to Eklund, do not throw the baby out with the bath water. Which is to suggest he sometimes has very good information that no one else has. Which is to suggest he sometimes has totally bogus information that has not an ounce of truth to it. He puts up stuff unfiltered, whatever he hears, he posts. If he hears something, he puts it up, and there is clearly a lack of accountability and he's the first to tell you that...it's a rumour site, it's a blog.

But that doesn't mean he doesn't talk to some people in high places because I know for a fact he does. I also know for a fact that a lot of people in hockey, in all positions in the NHL, check him out every day. The challenge is figuring out what's totally bogus and what's legit. You guys are at a disadvantage because you can't do that directly. I can and I can tell you there has been information posted there that no one else had that was indeed factual. And you're kidding yourself if you don't think some NHL players don't burn up his e-mail line.

That doesn't make him an authoritative voice on the lockout, but it doesn't make him a fraud or a phony either. I personally wouldn't pay 10 bucks to get his "inside" stuff, but I wouldn't ignore everything he writes either. I'm not sure what his batting average is on right vs. wrong -- on volume, it's probably not Ted Williams-like -- but I know of some so-called "legitimate" news sources who are below the Mendosa line when it comes to accuracy on lockout coverage."

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 07-27-2005 at 10:14 PM.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #167
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Just heard that Shanahan has decided to exercise his option and he will be with the Wings this year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-28-2005, 11:21 AM   #168
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Goodenow steps down.

http://nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3479
Old 07-28-2005, 11:57 AM   #169
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

now if only Bettman would resign
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #170
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Red Wings have made an 1 yr (rotoworld says it is likely in the $1.5-$2 million range) offer to Stevie Y, haven't heard anything about whether he is going to accept it or not.

Devils have made QOs to Patrick Elias ($4.18 million), Scott Gomez ($2.2 million) and Jeff Friesen ($2.28 million).

Lightning re-sign Tim Taylor to a multiyear deal.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:02 PM   #171
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW

well, really when you think of it, how would he ever manage to top this amazing career peak he just hit...

Old 07-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #172
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Avs QO'd 14 players; Hejduk, Tanguay, goalies Peter Budaj, Tom Lawson and Phil Sauve; defensemen Brett Clark, Jeff Finger, John-Michael Liles, Kurt Sauer and Karlis Skrastins; and forwards Riku Hahl, Dan Hinote and Marek Svatos.

Blues pick up the option for Patrick Lalime.

Saw the following on Eklund's site

Quote:
WASH: the Capitals' plan for next season came into focus during a news conference at the organization's downtown headquarters. That plan can be summed up in two words: young and inexpensive. Majority owner Ted Leonsis said the Capitals' 2005-06 payroll will fall somewhere between the salary cap minimum of $21.5 million and $25 million.

So the team that gave Jagr, $11 mill a year is going to have a cap a little bit higher than double that.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #173
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I want to have Marek Svatos's baby
Old 07-28-2005, 09:30 PM   #174
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

oh, and buh-bye Chris Gratton.

amazing how relaxing it is to know that he is prevented by the CBA from tainting the Avs for at least one full season!
Old 07-29-2005, 11:30 AM   #175
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Apparently the Rangers will not buyout Holik and Kasparaitis.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:27 PM   #176
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Apparently the Rangers will not buyout Holik and Kasparaitis.

dumbest team in hockey....going on 8 years
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #177
Hurst2112
College Starter

The wings let Barry Smith and Kocur go. I understand that with a new coaching regime, the old guys tend to get replaced, but I always liked Barry Smith. I am sure he will find work elsewhere. Though, was his success as an assistant a product of Bowman's greatness? That was obvious with Lewis.
=====================================

Holland has several players he wants to re-sign, but seems to be having trouble in talks with Pavel Datsyuk.

"I've talked to his agent and we're still a long, long way apart," Holland said. "He has a chance to play in Russia, but I can't overpay him no matter how good he is. I want to get it done with him, but it doesn't make sense to throw your cap out of whack to do it."
===================================

If ken holland ends up creating a team that fits under the cap, and goes at least 3 rounds in the playoffs, he will get my nod as the best GM to come out of this lockout. I honestly don't think he can do it all in one year, but, as a Wings fan, I trust his decision making. It will be interesting to see how he handles things without the deep pockets of illitch.

I am pretty confident that Yzerman will make 1 more year happen.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:01 PM   #178
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
dumbest team in hockey....going on 8 years

Well, their thinking is why pay someone $9 million (Holik) and not have him play for you when you can pay $6 mil and have some sort of production from him.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:11 PM   #179
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Well, their thinking is why pay someone $9 million (Holik) and not have him play for you when you can pay $6 mil and have some sort of production from him.

Financially, it makes sense....but competitivly, they obviously arent serious.....if they keep those contracts, they dont care about winning
TML
Old 07-29-2005, 01:15 PM   #180
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

Doens't he have more money left on his contract than that?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #181
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Financially, it makes sense....but competitivly, they obviously arent serious.....if they keep those contracts, they dont care about winning

True. For a team that was breaking the bank before the cap, they now decide that they can't afford $16 million in dead money?

The Ducks re-sign Sandish Ozolinsh to a 2 yr deal.

Thrashers decline the option on Shawn McEachern.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:26 PM   #182
Booj
High School JV

Rumours have it that Holik is about to be bought out by the Rangers...

Got that from Eklund so take for what it's worth.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:26 PM   #183
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Doens't he have more money left on his contract than that?

I believe he has 2 years left on his deal, he signed for 5 years, played 2 seasons, and the 3rd was the lockout. I'm guessing that players with multiple years left on their deals can be bought out for their current salary plus some % of the rest.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #184
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj
Rumours have it that Holik is about to be bought out by the Rangers...

Got that from Eklund so take for what it's worth.

I hope Eklund is right on that.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #185
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
I believe he has 2 years left on his deal, he signed for 5 years, played 2 seasons, and the 3rd was the lockout. I'm guessing that players with multiple years left on their deals can be bought out for their current salary plus some % of the rest.

I believe its 2/3's of the total amount left on the contract
TML
Old 07-29-2005, 01:56 PM   #186
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I believe its 2/3's of the total amount left on the contract

Yeah, that sounds right. Holik was originally making $8.85 million a year(TSN), minus the 24% is 6.726. Multiply that by 2 years and take 2/3s off of that would give you around $9 million.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #187
Johnny93g
College Starter

the latest on Owen Nolan is the Leafs now believe his salary is void, because he does not have the right to his player option, because the injury to his knee, which he just had surgery on, is not hockey related....

what this means is the Leafs are planning on not buying him out at all, sense he doesnt have a contract....Nolan will file a grievance with the players association, and the leafs have filed paperwork to buy out Nolan if they lose the grievance....

Either way, nolans 5+ mil salary will not count against the cap, and Toronto has 19 million buck to play with right now

Foote for 3
O'neal for 1
Allison for 1
Roberts for 1.5
Niewy for 1.5
Domi for .75

All probable in my opinion.....and hopefully, that Forsberg rumour is true.....
TML
Old 07-29-2005, 02:34 PM   #188
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
the latest on Owen Nolan is the Leafs now believe his salary is void, because he does not have the right to his player option, because the injury to his knee, which he just had surgery on, is not hockey related....

what this means is the Leafs are planning on not buying him out at all, sense he doesnt have a contract....Nolan will file a grievance with the players association, and the leafs have filed paperwork to buy out Nolan if they lose the grievance....

Either way, nolans 5+ mil salary will not count against the cap, and Toronto has 19 million buck to play with right now

Foote for 3
O'neal for 1
Allison for 1
Roberts for 1.5
Niewy for 1.5
Domi for .75

O'Neal? As in Jeff O'Neill? You think he'll sign for 1 and Gary Roberts and Niewy will sign for 1.5? That seems a bit backwards to me. I know O'Neill struggled last time out (trust me, I had him on my fantasy the useless piece of...), but he's got to command more than those two old timers.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:38 PM   #189
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
O'Neal? As in Jeff O'Neill? You think he'll sign for 1 and Gary Roberts and Niewy will sign for 1.5? That seems a bit backwards to me. I know O'Neill struggled last time out (trust me, I had him on my fantasy the useless piece of...), but he's got to command more than those two old timers.

I dont know, what leverage does he have....14 goals his last season, has stated he wants to play for Toronto....I figure in the new NHL, thats what he's worth, and in the new NHL, you will only get what your worth....its obviously a hometown paycut too.....
TML
Old 07-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #190
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

YES!!!

Holik out!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131832
Old 07-29-2005, 03:56 PM   #191
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

everyone wants to play for toronto, eh?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:20 PM   #192
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Foote for 3
O'neal for 1
Allison for 1
Roberts for 1.5
Niewy for 1.5
Domi for .75

You've been listening to the Toronto media too much.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:57 PM   #193
Karim
College Starter

Mike Commodore to Carolina for a 3rd Round Pick
Anaheim's 2nd Round Pick to Philadelphia for Todd Fedoruk

And a whole raft of minor signings as we head down to draft day...
Old 07-29-2005, 06:34 PM   #194
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Mike Commodore to Carolina for a 3rd Round Pick
Anaheim's 2nd Round Pick to Philadelphia for Todd Fedoruk

And a whole raft of minor signings as we head down to draft day...

I guess a third for Commodore makes sense, but a 2nd for Fedoruk? That's seems to be a very odd trade for a third/fourth line tough guy.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:53 PM   #195
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Heh. ESPN's NHL transactions log

Quote:
Philadelphia FlyersTraded right wing Todd Fedoruk to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for a 2005 second-round draft pick.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:01 PM   #196
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I hope he can pitch.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:17 PM   #197
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
You've been listening to the Toronto media too much.
You're my boy, bbor, but I have to ask...

Where did this "Toronto media" thing come from? Seems like everyone loves to to play the "Toronto media thinks the Leafs are the greatest" deal, and I just don't see it.

Now if you're counting Stormin' Norman as "media", fine. But the real media -- Strachan, Cox, Berger, McCown, etc. -- spend all their time crapping all over the Leafs for everything they do. Compared to a town like Ottawa, where the media practically wave pom-poms in the press box, the Toronto pundits never think the team will do anything right.

Or am I out of the loop, not living in T.O. anymore?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:19 PM   #198
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
You're my boy, bbor, but I have to ask...

Where did this "Toronto media" thing come from? Seems like everyone loves to to play the "Toronto media thinks the Leafs are the greatest" deal, and I just don't see it.

Now if you're counting Stormin' Norman as "media", fine. But the real media -- Strachan, Cox, Berger, McCown, etc. -- spend all their time crapping all over the Leafs for everything they do. Compared to a town like Ottawa, where the media practically wave pom-poms in the press box, the Toronto pundits never think the team will do anything right.

Or am I out of the loop, not living in T.O. anymore?

I know that for me, personally, I had bbor's impression of the Toronto media. I think more than anything it's because of these message boards I've been reading where everyone seems to think the Leafs will get everyone in the league to play for them at terribly low prices. But I know for me that is definitely the vibe I get from T.O.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:22 PM   #199
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
I know that for me, personally, I had bbor's impression of the Toronto media. I think more than anything it's because of these message boards I've been reading where everyone seems to think the Leafs will get everyone in the league to play for them at terribly low prices. But I know for me that is definitely the vibe I get from T.O.
But is that the media, or the fans on the message boards? Every team has fans who wear rose-colored glasses. The Leafs have more of those fans than anyone else because they have more fans, period, than anyone else.

Of course, a wise man once said that the media is the message board.

(Dead silence.)

Right. Carry on.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:29 PM   #200
Simms
FOBL Commish

As ML says, it's not the media, it's the fan base in general. There are some occasional rational, right-thinking Leaf fans, but as one myself (I like to think), I get downright embarrassed reading most of the Leaf-centric message boards.

Last edited by Simms : 07-29-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote