Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2005, 11:21 AM   #201
Johnny93g
College Starter

I agree, as ive read leaf message boards where people expect us to somehow offer the max to every legitimate star out there......I think the Toronto media is overlly critical of the leafs, ecspecially Howard Berger, who basically slams everything they do.....the players I mentioned are guys ive either seen say something, or read in the media, that want to play in Toronto, and I believe they are realistic targets. I very easily could be wrong, and we could get none of them, but as a fan, Id like to think its possible...
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #202
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
But is that the media, or the fans on the message boards? Every team has fans who wear rose-colored glasses. The Leafs have more of those fans than anyone else because they have more desperate, dellusional, and rabid fans, period, than anyone else.

Of course, a wise man once said that the media is the message board.

(Dead silence.)

Right. Carry on.

Fixed.

You can't blame 'em. Being the #1 franchise in the NHL and not winning a Cup for like a gajillion years.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:35 PM   #203
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Being the #1 franchise in the NHL and not winning a Cup for like a gajillion years.

Can you really be the former without having any of the latter?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:07 PM   #204
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Can you really be the former without having any of the latter?

In their minds, yes.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:30 PM   #205
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
You're my boy, bbor, but I have to ask...

Where did this "Toronto media" thing come from? Seems like everyone loves to to play the "Toronto media thinks the Leafs are the greatest" deal, and I just don't see it.

Now if you're counting Stormin' Norman as "media", fine. But the real media -- Strachan, Cox, Berger, McCown, etc. -- spend all their time crapping all over the Leafs for everything they do. Compared to a town like Ottawa, where the media practically wave pom-poms in the press box, the Toronto pundits never think the team will do anything right.

Or am I out of the loop, not living in T.O. anymore?

Cox is an Ass-clown...right up there with Fraser in my books.
Strachan...well....i don't read him....nuff said.
Berger is o.k....but he is real critical.....not Cox critical but close.
McCown knows nothing...i don't think he's been to a live sporting event since UNLV won the NCAA's.

If you listen to sports updates here every update they mention another player "coming" to Toronto....and they always add "and he's from Ontario so maybe he'll take less to come here"

Drives me fuckin nuts.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

Last edited by bbor : 07-30-2005 at 02:31 PM.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #206
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Free agency has been pushed back

12 hours. Instead of starting at midnight it will start at noon. The agents complained about being put into the position of having to call their clients during the wee morning.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:10 PM   #207
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Sabres not qualfying Satan is pissing me off. They should have tendered him an offer then traded him for ANYTHING since that's better than the nothing we'll get for him now.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:04 PM   #208
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Sabres not qualfying Satan is pissing me off. They should have tendered him an offer then traded him for ANYTHING since that's better than the nothing we'll get for him now.

Yea', but if he turns around and accepts the offer, and nobody wants him for that price, you're stuck with him. I suspect the Sabres had an idea that nobody would have traded for him at his QO level.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:29 PM   #209
Karim
College Starter

My absolute biggest beef with the Bettman regime was removing the traditional conference and divisional names/alignment in favour of geographical alignment to satisfy newcomers to the game who 'didn't understand the funny names'. It was unique to hockey and part of its history.

This article (use http://www.bugmenot.com to by-pass registration):
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....s-hockey-print

suggests that a change back is being considered as early as next season. It would feature a return to the traditional 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3, divisional rivalries of the past.

The 'new' league structure could return as early as next season and would look like this:

CLARENCE CAMPBELL CONFERENCE

NORRIS DIVISION
Chicago Blackhawks
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues

SMYTHE DIVISION
Anaheim Mighty Ducks
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks
Vancouver Canucks

PRINCE OF WALES CONFERENCE

PATRICK DIVISION
Florida Panthers
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

ADAMS DIVISION
Atlanta Thrashers
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Carolina Hurricanes
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs

This would be f***ing awesome!!! What a way to repay long-time loyal fans!

Last edited by Karim : 07-30-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:15 AM   #210
bbor
Pro Starter

Leafs need to be back in the (Chuck) Norris division for things to be proper.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:43 AM   #211
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Interesting comment on Eklund's blog

Quote:
While I wrote this article another player, arguably one of the best at his position, instant messaged me claiming he has yet to talk to anyone from the team he played for. He said he gets the impression that the team "doesn't have a clue which way is up."

If Eklund is not bs'ing I wonder who could that be. First thought was Modano because I also follow the Stars and the only thing I've heard on the Modano front was him saying his agent will meet with Doug Armstrong during the week but apparently that did not happen because Modano then said his agent will meet with Armstrong at the draft. The problem with Modano is that I don't think people would currently consider him as one of the best at his position.

Who else? Iginla? I haven't heard anything concerning him and the Flames. Lecavalier? St. Louis? Kovalchuk?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:41 AM   #212
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor

Can I get a HELL YEAH!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-31-2005, 11:21 AM   #213
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Who else? Iginla? I haven't heard anything concerning him and the Flames.

Sutter met with Meehan in Ottawa. 'Initial talks' are underway but I think the deal could take too long and hamper Sutter's ability to sign any free agents. The RFAs really need to be in place BEFORE you go shopping.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:53 PM   #214
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Damn right. And we also need to battle with Minnesota for the last playoff spot every year, with it coming down to the last night of the season with both teams tied with 52 points.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:21 PM   #215
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Interesting snippet from a TSN article.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...66&hubName=nhl

Quote:
Niedermayer and Forsberg are probably the only two free agents who have any chance of touching $7.8 million, but one team executive who requested anonymity believes the unofficial cap on stars will be $5 million a year. That's because while the salary cap this season is set at $39 million per team based on expected league-wide revenues of $1.7 billion, several GMs believe the damage done to the business from a year without hockey will bring revenues and therefore the cap down for the 2006-07 season - perhaps as low as $35 million.
Can't wait to see how FA shapes up.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:29 PM   #216
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Interesting snippet from a TSN article.

Can't wait to see how FA shapes up.

I would say Thornton too will be up there, possibly more than Niedermeyer.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:34 PM   #217
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

just saw that the Avs drafted Paul Stastny (Peter's son). very cool.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:48 PM   #218
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I would say Thornton too will be up there, possibly more than Niedermeyer.

I don't know if he would get that this year. The Bruins don't seem to want to pay him that much and because he is an RFA, I don't see another team paying the max and giving up multiple first rounders.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:54 PM   #219
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
just saw that the Avs drafted Paul Stastny (Peter's son). very cool.

He's a good hockey player, saw him a few times on TV for DU.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:23 PM   #220
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Trade Toronto and Nashville and it'd work. Also, you can up the bloodsport quotient by moving Colorado into the Norris, especially if the new NHL is going to place emphasis on division rivalries.

So, it'd be a Norris Division of Detroit, Toronto, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Colorado, Minnesota and St. Louis. Feel the love.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:56 PM   #221
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
So, it'd be a Norris Division of Detroit, Toronto, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Colorado, Minnesota and St. Louis. Feel the love.

*salivates*
Old 07-31-2005, 10:33 PM   #222
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Stars re-sign Sergei Zubov to a 3 year deal worth $12 million.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:49 PM   #223
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Stars re-sign Sergei Zubov to a 3 year deal worth $12 million.
Interesting... helps set the benchmark in the "new" NHL. That seems higher than what I thought he'd be worth.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:52 PM   #224
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Interesting... helps set the benchmark in the "new" NHL. That seems higher than what I thought he'd be worth.

I was thinking the exact same thing. So a 35 year old mobile, puck moving defenseman is worth $4 million a year? So when he's a 38 year old mobile, puck moving defenseman he will be counting $4 million against the cap? Huh.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:34 PM   #225
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Wait, Zubov is 35?

Jesus, I must be 100 years old now...
Old 08-01-2005, 02:32 AM   #226
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Jesus, I must be 100 years old now...

That must make Muckler 175 years old then.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #227
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing. So a 35 year old mobile, puck moving defenseman is worth $4 million a year? So when he's a 38 year old mobile, puck moving defenseman he will be counting $4 million against the cap? Huh.

This is the guy who paid Pierre Turgeon $7 million per year.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:47 AM   #228
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have been checking out this Eklund guy's site. Since I have been following it he's batting .000. That said, it's still a fund place to check out rumors even if they're as about as accurate as me taking a dart with a free agent's name on it and throwing it at board with all 30 teams. It's about that random.

Still, I love the idea of Thornton being traded to Detroit even if it did cost us Datsyuk.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #229
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Leafs qualify Belak and Perrot, which would seem to be a bad sign for Domi sticking around.

They also wisely held onto Pilar... I really think this kid is going to be a good defenceman.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:09 AM   #230
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

And the free agency period begins!
Old 08-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #231
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And the free agency period begins!

Since I've recently gotten into EHM, it was fun to look at the Thrashers tendered/non-tendered group and feel like I knew who they were.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #232
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

No announcements yet.

Maybe Naslund, Forsberg and Neidermayer's chartered plane was delayed on the way into Toronto?
Old 08-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #233
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
No announcements yet.

Maybe Naslund, Forsberg and Neidermayer's chartered plane was delayed on the way into Toronto?

The only likely explanation.

So, the Bruins get Isbister from the Oil for a 4th rounder. I hope that wasn't the "HUGE" deal O'Connell was refering to.

It's odd. The Leafs get O'Neill for a conditional 4th rounder. Isbister goes to Boston for a 4th rounder. But Philly gets a 2nd round pick from the Ducks for Todd Fedoruk? Huh?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:39 PM   #234
Johnny93g
College Starter

Roberts and Niewy to FLorida

Roberts and Nieuwendyk look like they signed with the Panthers. Both 2 year deals for 2.25 million a season.....thats a little rich, and a longer contract then i would have given them....Both still good players, but in this system, i say both are overpaid
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:43 PM   #235
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Roberts and Niewy to FLorida

Roberts and Nieuwendyk look like they signed with the Panthers. Both 2 year deals for 2.25 million a season.....thats a little rich, and a longer contract then i would have given them....Both still good players, but in this system, i say both are overpaid

Wow. I agree. Jeff O'Neill gets $1.5 and Nieuwendyk and Roberts $2.25 each? Sacre bleu! I don't know what's going on. It's all so confusing.

Well, the Panthers get a lot older and the Leafs get younger. Keenan is a mad man.

I see this as a couple of old buddies deciding to kick it Florida-style in the twlight of their careers. Some sun. Some beach. Some fishing. It's all good...
Old 08-01-2005, 01:48 PM   #236
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I guess JFJ and Quinn had made up their minds that they weren't interested in keeping Roberts and Niewendyk. Good signing by FLA... can't believe the Sens didn't make a run at those two.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #237
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Eklund says Iginla signs a 3x$6.5M deal, effectively setting the bar.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #238
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Oilers trade Brad Ibister to the Bruins for a 2006 4th rounder.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #239
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Oilers trade Brad Ibister to the Bruins for a 2006 4th rounder.

Yup.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:04 PM   #240
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Eklund says Iginla signs a 3x$6.5M deal, effectively setting the bar.

If that's true and it is the bar. The Stars better bring back Modano, the cheap bastards.

Eklund added that Iginla said he would sign for less if they went hard for Niedermeyer.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #241
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

It'll be an interesting time. I think the GMs are going to be struggling a little bit with their spending, particularly the ones that used to have a blank check. It took NFL GMs a while to get used to the cap there, but it's become such a science now. Wonder how long it'll take the NHL GMs to get used to the system and thinking in terms of both present and future cap numbers?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:18 PM   #242
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I've heard that some of the teams hired ex-NFL and/or ex-NBA guys to help navigate the cap.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:30 PM   #243
Karim
College Starter

Ville Niemenen was the only 'name' player not qualified by Sutter.

No doubt Sutter is working on the Iginla deal as I type because he stated unequivocally several times that no one else can be signed until Iggy is inked. It shapes the entire payroll/roster.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:25 PM   #244
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

TSN is reporting that the Wild have signed Andrei Nazarov (no terms available) and the Blues signed Aaron Downey (no terms available).

I guess it starts not with a bang, but with a whimper...

What's with all these teams gathering tough guys? Fedoruk getting trader. Perrot/Belak signed. And now Nazarov and Downey... I love the tough guys, but I thought this was supposed to be the "kinder/gentler" NHL where speed, grace, and skill were valued over this type of brutishness.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:09 PM   #245
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought this was supposed to be the "kinder/gentler" NHL where speed, grace, and skill were valued ...
And who better to make sure the speedy, graceful skilled guys are allowed to do their thing?

(Yes, I'm a caveman.)
Old 08-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #246
General Mike
Pro Starter

what are the Devils doing?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #247
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I've heard that some of the teams hired ex-NFL and/or ex-NBA guys to help navigate the cap.

well, the ex-NBA guy thing hasn't worked out for them so far...
Old 08-01-2005, 08:27 PM   #248
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Downey one punched that guy from Carolina a few years ago...thing of beauty.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:00 PM   #249
bbor
Pro Starter

Hrm.....Newy and Roberts are gone.

Who fills the holes?

Old 08-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #250
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What's with all these teams gathering tough guys? Fedoruk getting trader. Perrot/Belak signed. And now Nazarov and Downey... I love the tough guys, but I thought this was supposed to be the "kinder/gentler" NHL where speed, grace, and skill were valued over this type of brutishness.

Fans love hockey fights?

Also I think they want to draw in more fans by getting them nostagic for their first glimpse of hockey.

Go fat guys!