Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2005, 07:53 PM   #351
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

It might not be true just speculation but I remember reading that.

I need to get the DVD. This and Band of Brothers I could watch an infinite amount of times.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:56 PM   #352
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I still haven't seen that.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:59 PM   #353
jamesUMD
High School JV

Here is another except from the 3rd Policeman. I just finished watching the episode again and froze the frame with the book title and bible in it.

The precariousness of identity is a theme that also runs throughout the main narrative. The narrator eventually escapes from the police station (with the help of an army of one-legged men) and passes Mathers' house on his way home. At this stage the quest for the black box had almost been forgotten, but he makes one more attempt at recovering it. Inside the house – or to be more accurate, inside the walls of the house – he discovers the station of the third policeman of the title, Policeman Fox, who has custody of the black box. Fox reveals that the box does not contain money, but “omnium”, a substance MacCruiskeen once described as: “the essential inherent interior essence which is hidden in the root of the kernel of everything” (113), but which is literally everything one desires. Policeman Fox has been using it to take the muck off his leggings and to boil his eggs just right, but naturally the narrator has more grandiose visions of his future omnipotence. He gleefully returns home with the black box, where he finds a much older John Divney who is surprisingly disturbed by the narrator's appearance: “He said I was not there. He said I was dead. He said that what he had put under the boards in the big house was not the black box but a mine, a bomb. It had gone up when I touched it […] I was dead. He screamed at me to keep away. I was dead for sixteen years.” (203) >>

The shock of seeing his dead friend kills Divney, and the confused narrator turns back to the road. At this point the narrative also turns back on itself, replicating the narrator's first approach to the peculiar police station, only this time he is accompanied by John Divney. Both are doomed to the cyclical quest for the black box. The novel ends with Sergeant Pluck's habitual refrain: “Is it about a bicycle?” (206).

There is something here that I can't quite put my finger on. I think a parralell between the button and the black box.
>>
Old 10-11-2005, 08:25 PM   #354
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I just watched Michael get hit by the car for the first time. The driver appeared to have noticeable sideburns. Maybe.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:30 PM   #355
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Great, I just found out about another crazy-ass backstory element to the show (as if i didn't have enough to deal with already!)

The same car (Gold Pontiac Bonneville):

hits Locke in the parking lot
hits Michael when he gets severely injured
is the car Kate t-bones when fleeing the hospital

If this is true, it is becoming increasingly more likely that the end of Lost won't be based in any form of reality... it's one thing for Dharma to have something to do with the people on the plane, once they purchased tickets... but before that? With all the variables in life it's a bit of a stretch to say that Dharma somehow knew something about these people for years, and somehow made them voluntarily buy tickets on the same plane, to the same place, at the same time.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #356
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i rewatched a couple early episodes. i dont have anything groundbreaking, but a few thoughts observations:

1 - the monster at the beginning of the show that we hear is not the smoke we saw later. obviously a different noise....and in ep 1, you hear someone say the monster "sounds familiar"

2 - the smoke could very well be what "infected" the others. the french lady, while thinking back, says everyone got infected on the way back from the black rock.

3 - the french lady specifically says everyone in her group was fine for 2 months, then got infected. the lost gang have only been around for 40-50 days so far.

4 - locke all but says jacks father is still alive. i think he has seen him.

5 - VERY liberal use of the word "others". even when referring to the lost crew we know. to the point where a person will say, "how are they? the others?" the word "others" is thrown around all over the place, which i dont think is a coincidence

6 - sun's dad is most likely involved in all this. its worth noting he is very powerful and rich...

7 - my own theory....the end of the world has happened. i dont think this is actually the case, but it dawned on me that we never see anything happen outside the island after the crash...for obvious reasons. but combine that with "if we dont push those buttons, the world will end", and the buttons maybe not being pushed the day of the crash, and perhaps the island is all thats left. maybe. i dont know.

i suck at this.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #357
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
7 - my own theory....the end of the world has happened. i dont think this is actually the case, but it dawned on me that we never see anything happen outside the island after the crash...for obvious reasons. but combine that with "if we dont push those buttons, the world will end", and the buttons maybe not being pushed the day of the crash, and perhaps the island is all thats left. maybe. i dont know.

That is a very interesting theory.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:52 AM   #358
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Crap! I missed tonights episode.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:53 AM   #359
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

By the way, very shortly i plan on running a little FOFC Lost contest, I can put up a copy of Season 1 on DVD as the prize. I've got a few extra as part of a promotion I worked on when it was first released. I'm thinking some sort of Lost quiz where every submits answers, whoever has the best score wins, and if there is a tie (very likely) i choose randomly from among those who had the best scores.

Look for something in the next day or two.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #360
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
Crap! I missed tonights episode.

It just turned Wednesday... the episode isn't until tonight.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:58 AM   #361
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
better screenshot of what Jack was looking at

Better shot of her... Definitely a chance here, no?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:14 AM   #362
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
If this is true, it is becoming increasingly more likely that the end of Lost won't be based in any form of reality... it's one thing for Dharma to have something to do with the people on the plane, once they purchased tickets... but before that? With all the variables in life it's a bit of a stretch to say that Dharma somehow knew something about these people for years, and somehow made them voluntarily buy tickets on the same plane, to the same place, at the same time.
Just got home, pulled some screen shots:

You can clearly recognize the little "SE" logo in both the above and below shots (the first when michael is hit, the second as Kate is nailing the other car):

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 10-12-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:23 AM   #363
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

One final thought. They don't have to be the same car, they could just be the same model. You can read the license plate in the Kate incident plain as day (614-GJ5), and there is clearly a differnt plate on the car that hits Locke (looks like it starts with a 2 and/or 3, thought its blurry in all shots).

Also, i dont know if this is just the stuntman or an intentional picture, but it looks like a bald-headed man driving the car that hits Kate:

When Michael is being hit it looks like someone wearing a white baseball cap:

Of course it's also debatable that the white area there just above the seat is any other number of things. Personally I can mentally picture two different castaways as the drivers of these cars, but i feel like it's just to crazy and early to start speculating.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:25 AM   #364
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
By the way, very shortly i plan on running a little FOFC Lost contest, I can put up a copy of Season 1 on DVD as the prize. I've got a few extra as part of a promotion I worked on when it was first released. I'm thinking some sort of Lost quiz where every submits answers, whoever has the best score wins, and if there is a tie (very likely) i choose randomly from among those who had the best scores.

Look for something in the next day or two.
You suck. 1. I just bought the DVD set, though I'd love to get another to regift it or give to my wife back home. 2. I still haven't finished watching it. I'm halfway through disk 4.

Shannon, fwiw, is a slut.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:29 AM   #365
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Maybe the writers are hinting at the fact that people that drive that tyoe of car are more prone to attempts at vehicular manslaughter?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:38 AM   #366
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Just got home, pulled some screen shots:

I stand by my comments, while the cars may look the same it doesn't mean it is the same car... but if it is, then a reality based ending is becoming alot less likely IMO.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 10-12-2005, 06:11 AM   #367
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
but if it is, then a reality based ending is becoming alot less likely IMO.
I don't think that is true. I think there is a strong chance still that it could be reality even if the cars are the same. I think it just leans more toward a conspiracy, not a "dream state".

We shall see tonight.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:45 AM   #368
Yossarian
High School Varsity

My mum had a cool idea. Theyr'e only on season 1 just now (don't dl shows and uk is a season behind). She reckons that the island is purgatory. When the plane blew up, everyone else went upstairs or downstairs but they all have to atone for sins on this island.

All of that is kinda ruled out by s2 ep1 but it's a cool idea anyway.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:58 AM   #369
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
My mum had a cool idea. Theyr'e only on season 1 just now (don't dl shows and uk is a season behind). She reckons that the island is purgatory. When the plane blew up, everyone else went upstairs or downstairs but they all have to atone for sins on this island.

The producers have scuttled a number of theories, including that the people are really dead.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #370
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian

That was my thought during the first season...but the thing that swayed me away from that, is, how do you get out of purgatory? I mean some of the survivors were killed (not gonna spoil it if you haven't seen yet). What did they do to redeem themselves to get out of purgatory (to die)?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:31 AM   #371
Yossarian
High School Varsity

I have seen up to the most recent US aired episode - I'm pretty sure (esp with the debunking mentioned above) that they aint in purgatory - nice idea though.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:10 AM   #372
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
but if it is, then a reality based ending is becoming alot less likely IMO.

Considering that one of the major thematic conflicts of the show is faith vs. science, I think little coincidences like this point to the idea that these things are happening for a reason, whether it's supernatural or whatever, instead of everything completely not being reality. Basically it makes it seem like Locke's faith in the island is justified. Of course, it's always possible that it's all purely coincidental or the car is not actually the same or a million other things.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #373
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It just turned Wednesday... the episode isn't until tonight.
Um, I had not slept in a really long time (over a day) when I wrote that. I also work a graveyard shift that starts at 11pm the night before but counts as working the morning after. So if I have to work on Monday, i actually start work on Sunday night.

Actually, a lot of this discussion could be applied to my work schedule. Is my schedule part of some kind of crazy expirement? Am i actually dead and in some kind of purgatory?
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #374
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

It looks like you can now buy this seasons episodes on ITunes for 1.99 each.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:57 PM   #375
Pyser
Pro Rookie

one other thing to note...none of the survivors, that we know of, were just on vacation or anything benign like that. we dont learn of many that died, but we do get the sense that one couple that was engaged and "looked happy" died...everyone else is at a severe crossroads in their lives.

its not odd for a tv show, really...but it is when i consider every flight ive ever been on. youd think just 1 person would have just been going on or returning from vacation.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:56 PM   #376
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Desmond's going to be pissed when he comes back for food and there is none.

Nice tease on the Jin speaking English bit. Bastads.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:02 PM   #377
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

I just have to say one thing... aren't we all a bunch of idiots for assuming something about Rose's husband...
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:11 PM   #378
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVENT SEEN TONIGHTS EPISODE

So the Tail end survivors got into one of the other hatches? And only about 5 of 18 are still alive, did they get slaughtered by the others or is that virus alive and kicking?
Old 10-12-2005, 09:30 PM   #379
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I thought the virus was a ploy to get that guy to stay in the hatch and press the button. I thought they might have killed one another, or maybe eaten eachother... who knows?
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #380
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
I just have to say one thing... aren't we all a bunch of idiots for assuming something about Rose's husband...

I could have sworn that in the first episode Jack attempted to save Rose's husband but he died anyway... Or was that another elderly black woman?
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:36 PM   #381
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl
I could have sworn that in the first episode Jack attempted to save Rose's husband but he died anyway... Or was that another elderly black woman?

It wasn't Rose's husband... that's all I know.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:53 PM   #382
Poli
FOFC Survivor

That was the US Marshall.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:41 PM   #383
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

For some reason Claire looked less attractive than usual in this episode. I know what you're thinking.. some mighty deep findings on my part.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #384
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Sov, you rule. Nice title change.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #385
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

Speak for yourself. I thought she was married to a Slovakian midget this whole time. Boy, was I wrong.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #386
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
For some reason Claire looked less attractive than usual in this episode. I know what you're thinking.. some mighty deep findings on my part.

You are dead on. I was thinking she looked like one of the puppets from that Dark Crystal move from when I was a kid.

I'm tired of Ana Lucia already. She's tough-as-nails... I think we all get it. I hope she gets killed soon.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:58 PM   #387
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I'm tired of Ana Lucia already. She's tough-as-nails... I think we all get it. I hope she gets killed soon.
Yeah, I kept hoping that Sawyer would take the gun from her and shoot her.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:05 AM   #388
kingfc22
Head Coach

Did anyone else check out the milk carton at the beginning of the episode that Hurley was drinking from? Right when he sees Jin in his dream, there is a picture of Walt on the side of the carton and it says MISSING on the top.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:48 AM   #389
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVENT SEEN TONIGHTS EPISODE

So the Tail end survivors got into one of the other hatches? And only about 5 of 18 are still alive, did they get slaughtered by the others or is that virus alive and kicking?
It doesn't sound like the virus kills people, just makes them crazy - the voices in the woods. For the previews for next week, I have a guess as to whether the others were involved or not.
Quote:
Sadly, I think we're headed for a Jack-Kate-Ana-Lucia love triangle.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:59 AM   #390
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:
J

Nice job, man. That is some great stuff.

I don't think it's any coincidence that it's the same car in all the shots. Think about it - they spent all this money on props, rental cars, rented an airplane, and everything else. They aren't going to use the same p.o.s car in pivotal scenes unless it means something.

Can anyone make out what state these tags on the above picture are from?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:11 AM   #391
Raven
College Prospect

The closest I could find....

I don't remember if they mentioned where exactly Kate was from, but I assumed it was somewhere mid-west. The tags are probalby a dead end then.

Last edited by Raven : 10-13-2005 at 02:12 AM.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:27 AM   #392
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I liked the part where Sawyer says, "If you hit me again, I'll kill you."

Bruce Willis said it in The Last Boy Scout. Geena Davis said it in The Long Kiss Goodnight. Trite, but I like it.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:45 AM   #393
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I think I recall Kate saying she was from Iowa.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:27 AM   #394
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
You are dead on. I was thinking she looked like one of the puppets from that Dark Crystal move from when I was a kid.

Agreed on both accounts.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:36 AM   #395
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
I was thinking you liked her better with the belly.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:04 AM   #396
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Nice job, man. That is some great stuff.

I don't think it's any coincidence that it's the same car in all the shots. Think about it - they spent all this money on props, rental cars, rented an airplane, and everything else. They aren't going to use the same p.o.s car in pivotal scenes unless it means something.

Can anyone make out what state these tags on the above picture are from?

I actually was reading one of the Lost discussion boards and it turns out that the writers/producers have said that it is the same car but that it actually doesn't have any significance. Just reusing cars for different scenes I guess and failed to take the fans obsessive attention to detail in account.
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:14 AM   #397
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Yeah, I kept hoping that Sawyer would take the gun from her and shoot her.

They are SO gonna get it on.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:27 AM   #398
moriarty
College Starter

Kind of a lame episode for progressing the plot (especially compared to last week's) ... but I did like the "Driveshaft ... more like 'SuckShaft'" comment.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:33 AM   #399
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Kind of a lame episode for progressing the plot

Sure, but you are ignoring the "Kate in a towel" factor.

And this was the most disappointing episode ever, IMO, for flashbacks. All we learned about Hurley was that he worked in a fast food job (we sort of knew that) and had a best friend.

Last edited by Samdari : 10-13-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:38 AM   #400
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Sure, but you are ignoring the "Kate in a towel" factor.

No, I said it was slow in moving the plot, but it was good for moving other 'things'.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote