Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2006, 09:10 AM   #1801
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
That was fast.

What was fast? I bought it, played it some.. and basically moved onto other games as it didn't keep my interest like 6.5 did. It isn't the first time a game has done that to me, and I assure you, it won't be the last.

I can tell you, I played it MUCH more than puresim, but not as much as bb mogul - which is a shocker to me.

I'll buy 2007 if it gets good reviews from people whom I trust.. no biggie.

Plus, baseball is over, so now my focus is on football and soon..college basketball.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #1802
robster1225
Mascot

"rough" start is definetely true, but the folks at SI/OOTP patched the game, and it's current version: 1.03, is a very playable and enjoyable game.

I guess the question is this: Do you stick with the guy who provided you 6 straight awesome baseball games? OR do you kick him to the curb because they made a mistake?

I think it is pretty rediculous to say that you wont buy another version of OOTP. Just my opinion, though.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #1803
headtrauma
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Here's a question: is OOTP 2k7 (which I assume will be about the same as OOTP 2k6 where data storage, etc is concerned) going to be keeping the "Convert v6 League" functionality? i.e., will it be possible for folks to skip 2k6 altogether in an upgrade process?

That's the only hope any new version of OOTP has regarding online leagues. I've run an historical online league since 2002 and have absolutely no intention to migrate to OOTP2K6. I'd shut the league down rather than migrate at this point.
headtrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:18 AM   #1804
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robster1225 View Post
I guess the question is this: Do you stick with the guy who provided you 6 straight awesome baseball games?
Good stuff.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #1805
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robster1225 View Post
"rough" start is definetely true, but the folks at SI/OOTP patched the game, and it's current version: 1.03, is a very playable and enjoyable game.

I guess the question is this: Do you stick with the guy who provided you 6 straight awesome baseball games? OR do you kick him to the curb because they made a mistake?

I think it is pretty rediculous to say that you wont buy another version of OOTP. Just my opinion, though.

"That guy" is no longer employed by "that guy" anymore either. And that guy is giving us updates now about how he has the game up to snuff (now in November) and he has trouble pulling himself away from the game to code it's so fun to play now. He should make sure the game is that way in March/April too. No one said he's kicked to the curb, most people are saying they won't preorder, or will wait for reviews.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #1806
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Here's a question: is OOTP 2k7 (which I assume will be about the same as OOTP 2k6 where data storage, etc is concerned) going to be keeping the "Convert v6 League" functionality? i.e., will it be possible for folks to skip 2k6 altogether in an upgrade process?

Yes, you can import OOTP 6/6.5 leagues into OOTP 2007.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #1807
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post

That's one good decision.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #1808
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I couldn't care less if OOTP2007 is going to be great. I paid good money for what Markus seems to admit is a crap product. I've bought several of the OOTP versions, but I'm probably done for a while. Unless there's some effort to pay back those of us that paid for a transition product I can't see any reason why we should trust that 2007 will finally be great.

OOTP 2006 was not a crap product. It had problems first, but we listened to feedback, patched it and added many new features. I think OOTP 2006 version 1.0.3 is a great game!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #1809
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Markus has admitted that scouting, trading and finding foreign players don't work. He's going to put back features from a previous version in 2007. It took three patches to finally get a semblance of decent roster AI.

All the while we were sold the game as being a great step forward. That's what pisses me off. I feel lied to because at no point were we told that this was a transition. At no point were we told that Markus was unhappy with trading and scouting. At no point were we told that we just need to get through 2006 so we can get to the really good product in 2007.

This is the first OOTP release where I feel like I was treated as an ATM. That's why I'm pissed and that's why its going to be hard to win me back. I don't demand a problem free product, but I do demand some honesty and respect. That was missing in this release and whether the fault lies with Markus or SI the next version of OOTP is going to suffer because of it.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #1810
robster1225
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
"That guy" is no longer employed by "that guy" anymore either. And that guy is giving us updates now about how he has the game up to snuff (now in November) and he has trouble pulling himself away from the game to code it's so fun to play now. He should make sure the game is that way in March/April too. No one said he's kicked to the curb, most people are saying they won't preorder, or will wait for reviews.

I've read a lot of posts where people said they will flat out not buy it. I don't blame people for not pre-ordering and waiting for reviews. That makes sense. "That guy" may work for a different company but it's still the same guy creating the game.
The game has been up to snuff for a couple months. At least Markus is admitting that there were issues, and he has learned from them. I'm willing to bet that most main stream game creators wont admit something like that.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #1811
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But he's admitting to issues months after release and these aren't tweaks or bugs, but core features like scouting and trading. I don't for a second believe he didn't have the same feelings about these features at release that he does now.

They, meaning Markus and SI, decided to sell OOTP2006 with a lot of known problems. They should take a hit for that and I'm betting sales of 2007 will be significantly lower than desired.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #1812
robster1225
Mascot

As consumers, we have the right to buy or not buy. I'm not going to allow this one debacle override how I feel about OOTP based on past versions. Obviously, Markus, OOTP, and SI as a whole are not perfect, and they have to meet a deadline. My point is that while mistakes were made, they are owning up to them now, and are promising big things with the next version. That is all I need, because Markus' track record is that good. I'm not going to punish them for one mistake.
I'm fairly certain that OOTP isn't the first game to be released prematurely.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #1813
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They promised big things for 2006 also.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #1814
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Guys, judge 2007 as you did with 2006 on the demo and other peoples experiences. We cannot force you to purchase, we'll do our best to serve up as much info on the game prior to it's release.

Months on, we have the wonderful benefit of hindsight and we can look back at the game and know where it went well and where we could do better.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #1815
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Good news indeed - thanks Markus.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #1816
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
They promised big things for 2006 also.
And in many ways, there were big things in the game not seen in other games. As I mentioned above, we can now look back and know where we HAVE to improve.

Ultimately, you the consumers decide though
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #1817
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
But he's admitting to issues months after release and these aren't tweaks or bugs, but core features like scouting and trading. I don't for a second believe he didn't have the same feelings about these features at release that he does now.

They, meaning Markus and SI, decided to sell OOTP2006 with a lot of known problems. They should take a hit for that and I'm betting sales of 2007 will be significantly lower than desired.

That's just plain wrong. These features were no problems, but implemented the way we thought would be the best. We were proved wrong, so we will code these features differently this time.

When we released the game, I was really happy with it. That's a fact. But after release I personally had some time playing it longer, and so I found some things which could have done better, like the trading. It's not that hard to understand I think...

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn : 11-08-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #1818
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Months on, we have the wonderful benefit of hindsight and we can look back at the game and know where it went well and where we could do better.

So Markus didn't have problems with scouting and trading until months after release?

Marc, I like SI, I bought EHM and OOTP, hell I even tried to learn soccer just so I could enjoy FM, but I've never been as disappointed in a game as OOTP2006. It just didn't live up to any of the hype and now the developer is admitting to being unhappy with core features. You guys need to realize that if you're going to charge 40$ for a transitional product its going to piss people off.

I know my money's gone and I know I'll play OOTP2006 less than I've played any text sim. Adding that to the fact that we're again being hyped with how great 2007 is going to be and I'm very leery. When I look at the problems with this years EHM I see a similar pattern. SI needs to get its act together or it needs to limit the number of releases made each year. Every time I buy a new SI product that isn't ready to be played it makes it less likely that I'll buy from you again.

You guys are sharp and I'm sure you talk about this. You just need to realize the problem isn't on the consumer side of this equation.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:11 AM   #1819
miked
College Starter

Personally, I wish there was still support for 6.51 or whatever. I've posted several issues in the troubleshooting forum that have not been replied to yet (in months), despite bumping. I understand he switched teams and new versions are out, but they are still charging money for v6 and v6.5. I get the sense he comes and checks FOFC more than the 6.5 forums.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #1820
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
Just out of idle curiousity, is anyone still playing this?

Been uninstalled from my PC since the week it came out.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #1821
Stevebsfan
n00b

Quote:
I am, of course, pretty interested why some of you feel that way. What makes it different from OOTP 6 in terms of enjoyable gameplay? I just fired up OOTP 6, and I don't find it as half as enjoyable as version 1.0.3 of OOTP 2006.

I personally never got comfortable with the new UI.

The funny part is I felt prior versions of OOTP had a clunky interface when I played them, but the new UI makes me miss the old one, that's how bad it got imo.

I couldn't even tell you problems with the gameplay because I honestly never got by the UI. I couldn't even simply figure out how to easily take over as GM of a team without going through some coaching process first. I like the idea of working your way through the system, but to force that on people is just one of the type of issues the game had.

You could have possibly patched it and made it easier on later versions, but after like 2 patches and still being confused, I gave up on the game and have no intention of coming back until I hear great things next version. You may want to focus a bit on your UI before you release.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #1822
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
OOTP 2006 was not a crap product. It had problems first, but we listened to feedback, patched it and added many new features. I think OOTP 2006 version 1.0.3 is a great game!

Forget the damn new features. Just fix the AI first before you start adding more features. The same AI bugs from previous versions are carry over every version. Please concentrate on making the AI better.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #1823
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
Forget the damn new features. Just fix the AI first before you start adding more features. The same AI bugs from previous versions are carry over every version. Please concentrate on making the AI better.
Honesty...who saw that coming?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #1824
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

He's got a point.

Markus: You overreached on OOTP2006. The World Leagues of Baseball idea is a great idea, it gives a lot more realism to the world rather then random free agents appearing out of nowhere supposedly from elsewhere.

However, the first version.. new engine, etcetera. You jumped so far ahead, you couldn't see your landing point. There's now 2000 teams possible, but with that many teams, any small flaw in the team handling will be magnified because it WILL happen somewhere with the # of teams.

Focus on ENHANCING what you got, then work on the new features.

In other words, what I think you should be aiming for is not the leap between OOTP6 and 2K6.

More like 2K6 and 2K6.5
Old 11-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #1825
PSUColonel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsfan View Post
I personally never got comfortable with the new UI.

The funny part is I felt prior versions of OOTP had a clunky interface when I played them, but the new UI makes me miss the old one, that's how bad it got imo.

I couldn't even tell you problems with the gameplay because I honestly never got by the UI. I couldn't even simply figure out how to easily take over as GM of a team without going through some coaching process first. I like the idea of working your way through the system, but to force that on people is just one of the type of issues the game had.

You could have possibly patched it and made it easier on later versions, but after like 2 patches and still being confused, I gave up on the game and have no intention of coming back until I hear great things next version. You may want to focus a bit on your UI before you release.

Perhaps some of the games features need to be improved upon, but that doesn't mean it is a bad game. For instance, so many are complaining about the lack of ability to shop a player for trade. I would argue that the old system in OOTP 6.5 is actually flawed because it made it too easy to trade, and therefore easy to rip off the AI too frequently. I will be helping as a beta tester on the trading module, and I can tell you that going back to the ways of OOTP 6.5 is a bad idea. I don't yet know what direction the next version will go in, but what would be wrong with the ability to designate any given player as trade bait? (much like being transfer listed in FM) That way you could see what other players are being shopped, plus you would receive offers based on players you have designated as trade bait.(and the same for AI controlled teams) This is what I will suggest at least. This is just one example though. I don't understand why so many people want to revert to how simplistic OOT 6.5 was? Better games are somewhat more complex...that's just the way it is. FM is by no means a simple game yet I don't hear all the complaints over there. Setting up a league and getting going may take a little time, but once you do it a few times, I can assure you it's not nearly as complicated as people are making it out to be. Also...I am getting the feeling that because of this, many people here have really not given the latest version a fair shake. I find the latest version to be pretty damn good. The AI is much much improved, and if some of you would/could actually take the time it takes to get a league going, you'd find OOTP 2006 to be a very good game that will likely get much better. This is not to say I don't have my problems with it either, because I do. One example that comes to mind is that even if you tell your manager to handle lineups/depth/pitching, when playing out or watching a game, the AI will not substitute for fatigued players for human or AI teams.(even if your depth chart tells the AI to) So this is something I would really like to see fixed. But what is distrurbing to me is just the negative negative attitudes here from people who really haven't given the game a fair shake because it's just too complex. If that's the case, then maybe this game isn't for them...maybe they'd be better off with something like baseball mogul. But of course all of those people will now get angry with me because they somehow feel I'm being inflammatory, even though that might be the truth.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #1826
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

PSU: Its just not very fun for me. I've tried and I've wanted to like it, but its all monotony. The trade system is a perfect example. Maybe its more realistic, but its just no fun. It takes forever to find a trade that works. If you're in a firesale mode its downright impossible. Scouting is similar. A lot of clicking back and forth with little to no feedback.

I was shocked that I liked BBM more than OOTP this year. OOTP6.5 was a high water mark for me and baseball sims. I played the hell out of it. For everything that I can see is more advanced in 2006, I just can't have fun with it. BBM has a lot of faults, but at least this year's incarnation was fun.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #1827
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
OK, let me comment:
A) Agreed, it could have been better. That being said, the one in OOTP 2007 is way better, more easy to use and more fun.
B) Trading was the one part in OOTP 2006 I personally liked the least. That's why it was completely rewritten and in OOTP 2007 it's better than ever. More details once the new year begins
C) The ability to have ghost players (incomplete minors) returns in OOTP 2007 as an option.
D) Disagree here, I think it did a good job apart from the occasional hickup, which were very very rare in version 1.0.3. Anyway, the AI will be improved in OOTP 2007, the stats % modifiers will return.
E) Since OOTP 6 only had three levels of minors, that's why everything fits on one screen. No way to do that in the new game. However, I do not miss it, I can demote & promote players from anywhere using the right-click menu.
G) This has been fixed in 1.0.3, the development model there is very realistic as proven by several stduies by RonCo etc.
H) I would not call them horribly designed at all. The point you make is valid, but overall the league history is by far the best history system of any text-sim on the market. And IMO it does look pretty similar to baseball reference.
I) Agreed. Will be fixed

OOTP 2006 was a rough start, but a necessary overhaul was made that opens the door for a great future for the game. When you see OOTP 2007 you know what I mean.

A. How can scouting be more easy to use. It used to be I got ratings without doing anything. Now I have to do something. No way is it easier to use.

B. Trading was never good, but at least it could be done. You need a week and a half of real time to put together a trade now. Nothing like putting together offer after offer and getting nowhere.

D. If you believe that, then we'll have to agree to disagree, the AI sucks around roster building.

E. But you have the screen where you can put multiple levels in, if I could drag and drop from that screen it would be ok, but I can't even do that. And I can only play it with 3 levels of minors, because 5 drove me out of my mind.

G. Eh, I haven't played much since 1.0.3 - so maybe you are right, but you shouldn't need RonCo to tell you if it's fixed anyway.

H. Best history system combined with the worst presentation.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #1828
PSUColonel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
A. How can scouting be more easy to use. It used to be I got ratings without doing anything. Now I have to do something. No way is it easier to use.

B. Trading was never good, but at least it could be done. You need a week and a half of real time to put together a trade now. Nothing like putting together offer after offer and getting nowhere.

D. If you believe that, then we'll have to agree to disagree, the AI sucks around roster building.

E. But you have the screen where you can put multiple levels in, if I could drag and drop from that screen it would be ok, but I can't even do that. And I can only play it with 3 levels of minors, because 5 drove me out of my mind.

G. Eh, I haven't played much since 1.0.3 - so maybe you are right, but you shouldn't need RonCo to tell you if it's fixed anyway.

A. then turn scouting off...also by the way, you're head scout always has ratings on all players, so I don't see where it's any different for you.

B. That's how it happens. There is more room to haggle. In the old system, you clicked on a player, the CPU showed you a list of payers it was willing to deal for, and boom it was done...and you simply robbed the CPU of all it's talent. Transfers in FM don't happen instantly either, and for some reason no one is bitching about that???

D. The AI is a lot better in the latest build. Have you tried it? Can it be improved, yes, but I contend it's no worse than FOF.

E. OK, point well taken.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #1829
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
A. then turn scouting off...also by the way, you're head scout always has ratings on all players, so I don't see where it's any different for you.

B. That's how it happens. There is more room to haggle. In the old system, you clicked on a player, the CPU showed you a list of payers it was willing to deal for, and boom it was done...and you simply robbed the CPU of all it's talent. Transfers in FM don't happen instantly either, and for some reason no one is bitching about that???

D. The AI is a lot better in the latest build. Have you tried it? Can it be improved, yes, but I contend it's no worse than FOF.

E. OK, point well taken.

A. Yes, I do turn it off. The game is unplayable with it on, merely boring and unfun with it off.

B. Again, lots of things in real job of a GM are quite boring and don't need to be in a game. If the AI was good enough, I wouldn't 'rob' the AI of it. If I played FM, which is a whole different game marketed to a different groups of users I would bitch about it.

D. Haven't played the new FOF. The last 3 seasons I played the latest patch of OOTP I won 120+ games without barely lifting a finger, so it can't be all that improved.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:41 AM   #1830
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:

A) You get ratings automatically, your head scout scouts your organization once a month, your minor league scouts do the same for their minor league team.
E) Huh? You can drag & drop players around in the different team transaction screens!
H) Apart from the player career stats (which I have fixed yesterday ) not being seperated by Majors/minors, what else is terrible?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #1831
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
A) You get ratings automatically, your head scout scouts your organization once a month, your minor league scouts do the same for their minor league team.
E) Huh? You can drag & drop players around in the different team transaction screens!
H) Apart from the player career stats (which I have fixed yesterday ) not being seperated by Majors/minors, what else is terrible?

A. Yes, but if I want something more accurate I've got to click through a bunch of menus. Also the way that they favor what they like to favor and not how I want to weigh the ratings in their overall ratings is crazy. Every players has one scout telling me 80/80 and 3 telling me 26/80 or the other way around.

I must just be remembering E incorrectly.

H. Take the team summary for example. Here is B-R.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2002.shtml

The starters are on the top. Then it decreases by playing time. VORP is an odd way to sort the players, alphabetically would make more sense then that even. Fielding is divided by position, in a way that you can actually find something other then just a jumble of players with defensive numbers.

The minor league stats have to be separated from the major league stats. Also, the entire name of the city would be helpful instead of the alphabet soup of 5 levels of minor leagues - the space taken up by the border in the player card would be better used to say 'Providence - AAA' rather then 'PRV-AAA'. The SISA ratings going on the player cards are worthless if you are using scouting - it's always good to have an idea of what you really think the players ratings are as you scroll through the league's history.

The player history NEEDS to be split into categories. Transactions, injuries, ratings, awards at the very least. Then that information might actually be useful - trying to pick out how often a player gets injured 10 years into a career is hard work right now.

In the registers the Z-A sort is odd.

You are right though the rest of the almanac if first class - I give you major credit for that. Some tweaks to the player card and it will be an amazing feature.

My biggest complaints are:

The amount of work going into making a trade makes it very difficult to implement a house rule around my payroll. Sounds like this might get better in the next version.

The single player AI hasn't kept me from winning 120 games after 2 or 3 seasons without me really doing anything in game. This might be better now, hopefully even better then that in 2007.

Scouting could be implemented well, I don't think I'll ever agree with SI or some on the board on this one, but at least I can turn it off.

The constant need to keep the minor league teams stocked is a killer. Sounds like this is an option in 2007 - is it just historical though, or is it going to be fictional as well?

I wouldn't say I like the interface, but if the 4 things above worked in my mind, I wouldn't let it stand in my way of being a proponent of the game.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:34 AM   #1832
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Ah, I know what I forgot to mention. I win the title every year and don't have any pitchers with an endurance greater then 5. 12 man pitching staff - all relievers - dominant. My starters end up with records like 1-4, but I have 3 relief pitchers winning 20 games.

Don't know how to close that loophole - and I didn't even do it by design, it just kept happening because the AI ignores relief pitchers in the draft and they are always the best value after the first 2 rounds.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:59 AM   #1833
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Ah, I know what I forgot to mention. I win the title every year and don't have any pitchers with an endurance greater then 5. 12 man pitching staff - all relievers - dominant. My starters end up with records like 1-4, but I have 3 relief pitchers winning 20 games.

Don't know how to close that loophole - and I didn't even do it by design, it just kept happening because the AI ignores relief pitchers in the draft and they are always the best value after the first 2 rounds.

Hm, maybe a real life GM should try this
Old 11-09-2006, 08:04 AM   #1834
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:

Markus: yes you can, but one annoyance on those screens on the Minor Leagues screen, if you switch the view on one of the lists from "Stats" to "Ratings" OR if you switch one of the view lists from, lets say, AA to AAA, and then you complete a drag/drop action, the views revert back to their original setting. This gets very annoying if you want to be making moves in your minor leagues but are more interested in making your decisions based on ratings. So if possible, please make enhance so when you switch one of the list views from its default, that it keeps it at that setting at least until you leave that screen.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:07 AM   #1835
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24;1300552
H. Take the team summary for example. Here is B-R.
[url
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2002.shtml[/url]

The starters are on the top. Then it decreases by playing time. VORP is an odd way to sort the players, alphabetically would make more sense then that even. Fielding is divided by position, in a way that you can actually find something other then just a jumble of players with defensive numbers.

The minor league stats have to be separated from the major league stats. Also, the entire name of the city would be helpful instead of the alphabet soup of 5 levels of minor leagues - the space taken up by the border in the player card would be better used to say 'Providence - AAA' rather then 'PRV-AAA'. The SISA ratings going on the player cards are worthless if you are using scouting - it's always good to have an idea of what you really think the players ratings are as you scroll through the league's history.

The player history NEEDS to be split into categories. Transactions, injuries, ratings, awards at the very least. Then that information might actually be useful - trying to pick out how often a player gets injured 10 years into a career is hard work right now.

In the registers the Z-A sort is odd.

You are right though the rest of the almanac if first class - I give you major credit for that. Some tweaks to the player card and it will be an amazing feature.

My biggest complaints are:

The amount of work going into making a trade makes it very difficult to implement a house rule around my payroll. Sounds like this might get better in the next version.

The single player AI hasn't kept me from winning 120 games after 2 or 3 seasons without me really doing anything in game. This might be better now, hopefully even better then that in 2007.

Scouting could be implemented well, I don't think I'll ever agree with SI or some on the board on this one, but at least I can turn it off.

The constant need to keep the minor league teams stocked is a killer. Sounds like this is an option in 2007 - is it just historical though, or is it going to be fictional as well?

I wouldn't say I like the interface, but if the 4 things above worked in my mind, I wouldn't let it stand in my way of being a proponent of the game.

The complaints you have regarding the history is valid. So I just fixed all what you said, except for the split up player history which is not an option.

Ghost players can be used in normal leagues as well, it isn't restricted to historical ones.

If you won 120 games all the time I tip my hat to you My teams always suck In my current fictional league I haven't made the playoffs in 3 years. But maybe the reason is I am playing 2007...

No AI in a text game will ever really be able to challenge the experieced user without actually cheating. It would be totally easy to add some sort of increasing difficulty modifier based on human team success, and not tell anybody. But that is very poor design IMO, so I am trying to code the best non-cheating AI possible...
Old 11-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #1836
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Markus: yes you can, but one annoyance on those screens on the Minor Leagues screen, if you switch the view on one of the lists from "Stats" to "Ratings" OR if you switch one of the view lists from, lets say, AA to AAA, and then you complete a drag/drop action, the views revert back to their original setting. This gets very annoying if you want to be making moves in your minor leagues but are more interested in making your decisions based on ratings. So if possible, please make enhance so when you switch one of the list views from its default, that it keeps it at that setting at least until you leave that screen.

Yes, this will be fixed in 2007.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #1837
cougarfreak
College Starter

If all these things are "fixed", and you agree that 2006 was a "rough start", why not release these fixes now? Surely there will be a big enough difference between what you have now and what you put in between now and March or April for the '07 release?
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #1838
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
If all these things are "fixed", and you agree that 2006 was a "rough start", why not release these fixes now? Surely there will be a big enough difference between what you have now and what you put in between now and March or April for the '07 release?

This is because of SI. Marc Duffy came out and said that 2K6 was going to released on May 31st no matter what. He has also came out publically and said that 1.0.3 would be the last patch so that work on 2K7 could begin.

The problem here is that Markus is pretty much a one man team. He can't support his product like he has previous because SI won't let him because they need him to work on the next version.

Markus' decision work with SI was a bad decision, IMO. It was worse than working with the snake that is Joe Stallings.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #1839
SunDevil
College Prospect

I do not know if that is entirely fair. I think that SI and Markus have learned a lot from this experience, and I think it will be smoother next time. Now whether that actual game will be better or not, who knows. The last couple of years, has not be a great track record in terms of happy customers, though a lot of people like 6.5. Whether or not OOTP returns/continues to be a success will be largely determined by Markus listening to his customers. A lot of us have bought and played many versions of his game, we know what we like and do not like. Either he listens or he doesn't. But there is no real mystery to it.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote