Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2006, 08:53 AM   #251
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail
Trading blocks and stars are just b.s. time savers in my opinion. I could care less about those things.

But the fact that you have the opportunity to tweak the ratings via actual performance brings a realistic feel to the universe you are playing in. I hate the full ratings approach.
It still seems like something that should be an option. Not everyone has 2 hours of free time 3 times a week to go through their whole organization in a multiplayer league.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #252
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If I remember right, in EHM there wasn't really the option to "watch" a game. You could coach the game, or you could quicksim it, but you couldn't watch without getting involved. Is it safe to assume you can just watch a game in OOTP?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:55 AM   #253
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy
Please help me understand the interface problems. It's difficult for me to recognise the problems having grown up on such an interface. The more experiences shared, the better chance I have of getting them fixed

But I think as with nearly all other the games, people will get used to it after a few weeks or so. Right now it's the learning curve that's throwing people off, esp. those expecting to jump right in like with previous versions. Four months from now I doubt you'll hear any issues about the interface since it will become intuitive by then and will be getting into the core of how the game runs. That is not to say that the interface is good (just like FOF's interface is not good) but it will become easy to use once they get into it. With complexity, which is what everyone seems to want, comes a more complex gameplay and user interface.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #254
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy
Please help me understand the interface problems. It's difficult for me to recognise the problems having grown up on such an interface.
Not trying to be critical since I haven't tried the game yet and am reserving judgement. But this comment makes me wonder: how much actual usability testing is done on users who aren't already familiar with the FM interface?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:01 AM   #255
Koryo
n00b

Is there a way to sort players based on a particular scouts current rating and potential rating? I'm talking about the rating that shows stat/80. Now I'm just going through each player individually to check that number and it would be so much easier to just have it sort on the main screen.
Koryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:07 AM   #256
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
But the fact that you have the opportunity to tweak the ratings via actual performance brings a realistic feel to the universe you are playing in. I hate the full ratings approach.

I'll log the request.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:09 AM   #257
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryo
Is there a way to sort players based on a particular scouts current rating and potential rating? I'm talking about the rating that shows stat/80. Now I'm just going through each player individually to check that number and it would be so much easier to just have it sort on the main screen.

there is not, unfortunately
Old 06-01-2006, 09:40 AM   #258
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
I don't see that there is any way to "close" a player page and get back to where you were besides going back up to the dropdown navigation and going down the tree again or pressing the back key a number of times?

How about a right-click?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 AM   #259
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
But I think as with nearly all other the games, people will get used to it after a few weeks or so. Right now it's the learning curve that's throwing people off, esp. those expecting to jump right in like with previous versions. Four months from now I doubt you'll hear any issues about the interface since it will become intuitive by then and will be getting into the core of how the game runs. That is not to say that the interface is good (just like FOF's interface is not good) but it will become easy to use once they get into it. With complexity, which is what everyone seems to want, comes a more complex gameplay and user interface.

If the program itself is solid, people will find ways to adapt to ANY interface.

You have that part exactly right. I expect by this weekend, I'll be comfortable with the interface, even if there are things I don't like about it. What we'll get to then is what is really important.

It's why I wanted to highlight the trade goseahawks posted. That issue is far more pressing than any UI function is. I'll fight my way around the interface if there is a reward. If the reward is watching triple crown threats traded for MR? Not so much.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:06 AM   #260
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I miss the FM ability to use the arrows on the keyboard to go back/forward on pages.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #261
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
I miss the FM ability to use the arrows on the keyboard to go back/forward on pages.

Correct.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #262
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus at OOTP
Check this out:
http://ootpdevfiles.com/ootp/screens/trans.jpg

Each little player box now allows you to display ratings, along with the overall rating and overall potential rating of the scout you have currently selected (upper right corner).

This is supported in the team transaction screen and the trade screen. With the overall ratings visible there, you won't need any stars

I will make the overall ratings soon visible in the big player lists as well, but this takes some more coding time because that list is sortable and filters can be applied. So this is something for a second patch or a later update.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:17 AM   #263
DanGarion
Coordinator

I would also LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to use the back/forward keys on my mouse like I already do with every browser out there, within the game. That would be a time saver.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #264
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Not trying to be critical since I haven't tried the game yet and am reserving judgement. But this comment makes me wonder: how much actual usability testing is done on users who aren't already familiar with the FM interface?

I feel the same way. This feels almost like going back to OOTP 2 or 3. I am not seeing that the game was rewritten from scratch maybe the engine but the UI is 100% FM/EHM. As someone earlier said I tried many times with the demos and could never get into those great games due to the rather poor UI IMHO. Anyways, hopefully a few versions down the road the UI will be accessable to people who have jobs and families.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #265
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
It's why I wanted to highlight the trade goseahawks posted. That issue is far more pressing than any UI function is. I'll fight my way around the interface if there is a reward. If the reward is watching triple crown threats traded for MR? Not so much.

Agreed.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:25 AM   #266
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
How about a right-click?

Seriously? That will do it? Ok then, thanks.

(I didn't know v5 could do this either, and I have no FM experience.)
Old 06-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #267
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Seriously? That will do it? Ok then, thanks.

(I didn't know v5 could do this either, and I have no FM experience.)

I can't recall if FM does this as I usually use the arrow keys, but it was in v6 at least (maybe not 5).
Old 06-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #268
cuervo72
Head Coach

It did work in v5 now that I checked, but I didn't realize this. I'd always just used the 'close' button (which seemed logical to me). Just heard from someone that in v3 the *only* way to do it was right-click, but v5 is my only OOTP knowledge.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:31 AM   #269
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I feel the same way. This feels almost like going back to OOTP 2 or 3. I am not seeing that the game was rewritten from scratch maybe the engine but the UI is 100% FM/EHM. As someone earlier said I tried many times with the demos and could never get into those great games due to the rather poor UI IMHO. Anyways, hopefully a few versions down the road the UI will be accessable to people who have jobs and families.

Like many others, I didn't pick up and play a lot of FM and EHM because the interface was confusing. When I first got to use OOTP, I made it a point to learn how to use it because I like baseball. After a couple of days, I was used to it. I am thinking about giving EHM a shot now that I know this interface.

If the UI keeps you from playing these games, it is a mistake, IMO.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #270
cuervo72
Head Coach

Bah, lo and behold, right-clicking is on page 31 of the Mammoth Manual.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:38 AM   #271
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
Like many others, I didn't pick up and play a lot of FM and EHM because the interface was confusing. When I first got to use OOTP, I made it a point to learn how to use it because I like baseball. After a couple of days, I was used to it. I am thinking about giving EHM a shot now that I know this interface.

If the UI keeps you from playing these games, it is a mistake, IMO.

Hopefully, after a patch or two and some user made templates I will be able to get into this one. But, to use a business systems development analogy right I am feeling this needs to be sent back to the Devel for more testing after User Acceptance Testing Phase failed.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:54 AM   #272
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Did anyone try quick simming seasons over night? I tried simming five seasons (MLB format) and only got to July 5, 2008 by morning. I'm using my gf's computer and it's way too slow to play this game. I can't go from page to page without at least a minute wait. Uggh, I can't wait to get this on my computer.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #273
korme
Go Reds

Yeah, I tried to go from 1980 to 2006 and made it to 1987's offseason this morning, with MLB and all of it's minors, the NPB and it's 1 minor level, and a Korean league. 260 teams in all. Whoever said you can replay MLBs history over night, I want to see their amazing top of the line specs.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #274
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks
Did anyone try quick simming seasons over night? I tried simming five seasons (MLB format) and only got to July 5, 2008 by morning. I'm using my gf's computer and it's way too slow to play this game. I can't go from page to page without at least a minute wait. Uggh, I can't wait to get this on my computer.

How do you sim more than one season? I could only find ..sim to next year
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #275
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I started my sim at around 8 last night and this morning when I left for work it had simmed 37 years. (which means I'll probably just halt the sim whereever it is when I get home from work tonight and get whatever is done uploaded)

As far as moving around the game goes, I'm not noticing any slowdown on my two systems, with the exception of changing a skin, which seems to take about 3 minutes to do.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #276
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
How do you sim more than one season? I could only find ..sim to next year

Go to schedule screen. Click on the year and you'll see a drop down menu appear. Go to the year you want. Click on the auto sim button and select "sim until date shown"
Old 06-01-2006, 11:14 AM   #277
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Troy,
Are you using a standard MLB format? Also, did you look at any of the stats this morning or are you waiting til tonight?
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #278
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

I did 100 years using Lahman's from 1901 to 2001 over night. I'll have to redo it because OOTP doesn't expand automatically, but that's not bad for 16 teams.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:21 AM   #279
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Troy,
Are you using a standard MLB format? Also, did you look at any of the stats this morning or are you waiting til tonight?

I'm waiting until tonight. In fact, I probably won't even open the almanac before I upload them. Once that happens, I'll start a new thread with the link and let everyone comment there. We'll all see the results at the same time.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #280
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

so, that's coming in a patch?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #281
TroyF
Coordinator

Dola:

I'm using standard MLB format (30 teams), Full Minors, Very High stat modeling of majors, normal for all the minors, no salary cap or other tweaks, 25 round June draft, trading and injuries at default, and I clicked on the settings to match historical eras. Which will give everyone the ability to look through everything from the dead ball era to the current era)

edit: Also DH in one league, not in the other.

Last edited by TroyF : 06-01-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #282
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
so, that's coming in a patch?

Correctumundo.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:37 AM   #283
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Correctumundo.

But not the first one (or maybe not the second either).
Old 06-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #284
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt

No, it's the part in the last paragraph that won't make it until a later patch.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 06-01-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #285
Mountain
Mascot

The games documentation sounds almost biblical.

And lo on page 38 verse 16:7 of the mammoth manual it says "thou shalt right click to sort and filter."
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #286
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I've been able to sim 4 1/2 seasons in about three hours this morning, but it's made my computer run awfully slow so I eventually had to turn it off. I'll try to continue tonight. I'm assuming that this is the only way to get players histories in the game? For instance, when I started a regular season in 2006 last night, none of the players had stats from previous years (which is also a step back from previous versions of OOTP).
Old 06-01-2006, 11:45 AM   #287
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt

That's incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle Of Friends
The potential rating in the shot you posted--is that going to be in the first patch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn
Yes.

Porting the overall ratings to the big player list is being targeted for the second patch.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 06-01-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #288
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
No, it's the part in the last paragraph that won't make it until a later patch.

I see that now. Not having the game, I didn't pick up on the difference until you just pointed it out.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #289
JS19
College Prospect

Quick question about putting the game on another computer....

Here's my deal, right now i'm home in NY and the game is on my dads computer, unfortunately its a bit old and although the game runs, its a little slow for my taste. I plan on having my computer sent up from Maryland and wanted to put the game on that one, is this possible?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #290
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
Quick question about putting the game on another computer....

Here's my deal, right now i'm home in NY and the game is on my dads computer, unfortunately its a bit old and although the game runs, its a little slow for my taste. I plan on having my computer sent up from Maryland and wanted to put the game on that one, is this possible?

Yes. You can have the game on two computers at a time. If everything works like it should, you can unlicense and re-license at will on any computers. But only two at a time.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #291
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I started out as a coach in my lowest level league and got fired before the end of the year. That's how badly I was doing as a minor league coach. It got to the point where I didn't care anymore because there isn't much to do with coaching below the bigs.

I simmed the rest of the year, looked at the available jobs and now as a 19 year old, I'm a GM for one of the major league squads. Cool. lol
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #292
kcchief19
Pro Starter

My first impression ...

I feel like I just got the job as general manager of the Kansas City Royals. That sounds like a good thing. But my first impression is that I'm going to need to work 18 hours a day to go through all the reports and information available and still not have a clear idea of what to do because there are 800 guys who look exactly alike.

I don't think I've ever felt this way before, but after spending a night with the game last night, I still don't know what I think. I could see definitely liking this game. I'm just wondering if it's going to be too much work -- not work in the sense of trying to get Maximum Football to function, but in the sense of "Sorry, honey, I can't go to your grandmother's funeral, I'm waiting to hear back from the GM of the Mexico City Trout to see if I can make a trade for a 23-year-old right fielder who looks like the next Albert Pujols."
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #293
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
"Sorry, honey, I can't go to your grandmother's funeral, I'm waiting to hear back from the GM of the Mexico City Trout to see if I can make a trade for a 23-year-old right fielder who looks like the next Albert Pujols."

The possibility of managing the Mexico City Trout is almost enough to make me buy the game. Almost.

Is their mascot colossal?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #294
dervack
College Prospect

Thanks guys for this thread. It's good to see you guys putting the game through the paces, and it makes me glad I didn't pre-order this thing. I'll wait for the demo, and see if I can get into it from there, but from the sound of it, since I didn't like the UI of WWSM or EHM, I probably won't be getting this.

Last edited by dervack : 06-01-2006 at 12:19 PM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #295
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I know it's one of those "whatever floats your boat" kind of things, but I have trouble understanding how guys have problems with FM's interface. The jury is still out on OOTP's new one though. I haven't dinked around with the game enough to make a valuable (or unvaluable) opinion. I don't think I'd consider FM's and OOTP's that similar though. But if you didn't like FM's I would be willing to bet you wouldn't like OOTP's so...
Old 06-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #296
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This game is simply maddening. It has so much there, but getting to it is as frustrating as hell. It took me a couple hours to get to a point where I felt like I knew the location of certain pages, but even then I still hadn't dealt with my team at all.

When I finally got around to working on my lineup I couldn't figure out an easy way to compare ratings of players at different levels. I had to click on each player and hope to remember enough to make the right decision.

I made it through spring training, but I still haven't played a single regualr season game. I've put in three hours or so and I'm still in the preseason. I just can't get around like I'm used to in OOTP and all the clicking back and forth is infuriating.

I haven't given up on the game, but right now it just isn't any fun. Its like some sort of advanced memory game for grownups. For the life of me I don't understand the decisions to make everything less fun and more complex.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #297
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Here is a clueless or lazy design decision:

You have to hold your cursor over the up or down arrows and wait for the countries to slowly scroll. It took 25 seconds to click on the change nation dialog and get to the United States.

Edit: And the mouse wheel doesn't help.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 06-01-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #298
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

FWIW, there are plenty of data errors in the default quickstarts. That means there are plenty of errors in the quickstart I made last night. Things like the Iowa Cubs being from Iowa, Louisiana, etc. I'm gonna check all of the city data and re-upload a new quickstart. Maybe some new logos are done too.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #299
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
But if you didn't like FM's I would be willing to bet...

exactly how much would you wager? right now, this instant - how much would you bet? $5? $24? or were you just making silly talk?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #300
JS19
College Prospect

I may be missing something, or maybe this is just how it is, but when scouting a player are ratings the only things that will be shown, or is there ever a written report on a player?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote