Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #351
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
And Windows is the most popular OS in the world. Does that mean it's the best?

All I know is I've run this game for five freaking hours and I still feel like it's the opposite of fun. After 20 minutes I'm actually pissed off, and that's a shame. I was really looking forward to this game, but now I'm tempted to go back to OOTP5.

And some people ripped and tore apart OOTP5's UI. It's not great but compared to what I've seen here (and in FM)....

I still find it amazing how much FBCB has radically changed my view of text sim UI and gameplay. Some think that a simple interface = simple game but I think not only FBCB proved that wrong but Civ4 as well. I think SI, GDS and Solecismic need to play those games some more.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #352
SackAttack
Head Coach

Hmm. When you manage a spring training game, your lineup shows the spring stats. If you go to the lineup tab to make changes, the roster portion of the screen shows the spring stats, but the editable lineup part zeroes out.

Very odd.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #353
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Check whose ratings you're seeing. I've seen it happen where SISA either didn't scout a guy at all, or delivered only an incomplete report, but my head scout had something more substantial. It seems like it pins whichever report you last looked at, and does it for everybody.

If you switch from SISA to your head scout, all ratings you look at for other players display as your head scout's view. Stuff like that.

Yeah, I changed it to my head scout and I still had some dashes on my own guys. Odd. I'll see if it keeps happening.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #354
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
And some people ripped and tore apart OOTP5's UI. It's not great but compared to what I've seen here (and in FM)....

I still find it amazing how much FBCB has radically changed my view of text sim UI and gameplay. Some think that a simple interface = simple game but I think not only FBCB proved that wrong but Civ4 as well. I think SI, GDS and Solecismic need to play those games some more.

I was a little worried about the interface, but the bookmarks are a huge help.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #355
MrBug708
Head Coach

The interface has all the right pieces in place they just dont seem connected. Like when looking at a player through a scout view, and he's a FA< you can't just sign him there. You need to go to league, transactions, FA, and then sign him. In FM, you have all of those options under the player card, regardless of where you are looking at it.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #356
SackAttack
Head Coach

Augh.

"blistered on a line"
"Gijon circles under it."

*facepalm*
Old 06-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #357
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Augh.

"blistered on a line"
"Gijon circles under it."

*facepalm*

Gijon is one quick fielder. You should fine him for the hot-dogging, though. :lipsrsealed:
Old 06-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #358
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York
Gijon is one quick fielder. You should fine him for the hot-dogging, though. :lipsrsealed:

I think that probably falls under a tampering statute if I start fining other team's players.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #359
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Well, my sim is just bogging down. It's up to 1969 at the moment. 67 years in about 20 hours or so of straight simming. My system is high end, so I'm not exactly sure what they were simming on, but this isn't it. I'm going to go grab a bit to eat, but I think I'm calling it a career whenever I get back.

I'll upload what I have and we'll see how things stack up.

According to ootp forums, to sim faster you should disable game logs and box scores.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #360
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

After spring training it would be nice if the spring training games would fall from the last 10 listing and from the game log unless you select if from the drop downs. Who wants to see the spring training games in that log for pitchers into the end of the year.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:03 PM   #361
molson
General Manager

Quote:

So true. I haven't bought a sports sim in over a year, and I think I might be done with the genre. All of these developers are obsessed with "features", because you can list those in bullet-point format in your press releases and web sites. But the features have far, far outpaced the actual functionality of those features, and the fun level overall. FBCB is pretty much a perfect game for the features it has - everything "works".

I think what the developers are doing is a big mistake. This is a niche market anyway, and now they're further narrowing their potential market to people who want to play a certain way - extreme micro-managing.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #362
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

How do I change what email messages I'm getting? I'm signed up for way too much.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #363
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
And Windows is the most popular OS in the world. Does that mean it's the best?

All I know is I've run this game for five freaking hours and I still feel like it's the opposite of fun. After 20 minutes I'm actually pissed off, and that's a shame. I was really looking forward to this game, but now I'm tempted to go back to OOTP5.

Hmm, I would challenge you to name a better OS then Windows. It is shiek to bash windows, but if you look at the hard facts there really isn't anything better then it.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #364
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
According to ootp forums, to sim faster you should disable game logs and box scores.

I did that. Did all of the things they suggested last night. Seemed like a no brainer to me. Disable logs, make sure quick view is selected, etc. I wanted to see how good it would go on very high detail for the majors.

Looks like '73 will be the last year of my sim. I don't have a stop auto sim buttong anywhere, but I did set it to save after each year. I hope it really did it or none of us are getting stats. I think the only way for me to stop this is to ctrl-alt-del it and pray for the best.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #365
Qrusher14242
High School JV

Try ESC
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #366
TroyF
Coordinator

While I'm waiting for '73 to end and crossing my fingers this will work out ok, lets talk about the bookmarks. Here are some of my more important ones:

Home page of every team in my organization
Front Office
Trade Screen
Stats - YTD screen
Lineup (don't need rotation as both are in the same set of windows anyway)
Schedule screen

I have more, but I think those are the most critical. Anyone have tips for others they are finding useful?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #367
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
The interface has all the right pieces in place they just dont seem connected. Like when looking at a player through a scout view, and he's a FA< you can't just sign him there. You need to go to league, transactions, FA, and then sign him. In FM, you have all of those options under the player card, regardless of where you are looking at it.

This is the case in OOTP 2006 as well. At the bottom of the player card there is a button labeled "Action" one of the choices for FAs is to "Offer Contract".

Hope this helps.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #368
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Question for those with the game...

One of the things that really annoyed me about the SI version of EHM was that you couldn't quick sim a few weeks or months without giving up control of your team. You had to go "on vacation", and turn over control of the team. You had to either allow the team to make moves without you, or prohibit them from doing anything until you got back. Neither worked especially well.

OOTP, on the other hand, had a cool feature where you could quick sim but be interupted if there was an injury or trade offer. You could decide whether to keep simming, or stop and have a look at what was up. Very neat feature, and well implemented.

Does OOTP 2006 still use this approach, or have they adopted the EHM method?

In addition to what Josh posted, there's a baseball icon you can click that has the auto-play with options like:

auto-play today
auto-play until next week
auto-play until next month
auto-play until next year

and then a few options to auto-play until specific events depending on what time of year it is (things like auto-play until winter meetings, preseason, spring training, etc).

The game is moving much faster for me than EHM or FM. It's pretty flexible once you learn the interface in letting you control how much involvement you actually want in the day to day stuff. I zip through the seasons in less than an hour, it's the off-season stuff that I get bogged down in, but that's by choice.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #369
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
Hmm, I would challenge you to name a better OS then Windows. It is shiek to bash windows, but if you look at the hard facts there really isn't anything better then it.

Most impartial people think OS X Tiger is better than Windows Vista will be even when it comes out, and it is out right now. I haven't used it, but I really want to based on these sorts of opinions I continue to read. Not saying mac stuff doesn't have other drawbacks, or that I even like macs, just saying that opinion seems to be a big one.

No more threadjack from me sorry. Enjoying reading the impressions of OOTP.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #370
TroyF
Coordinator

OK, starting the report process, this will take awhile.

Numbers game questions while we wait:

Through 1973:

The career HR leader has _____
The career hits leader has _______
The career Wins leader has ________
The career K leader has _________
Old 06-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #371
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

Through 1973:

umm...2/3?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #372
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Through 1973:

If you had run it from 1987-2004, the number would have been 1,957,063.

Edit: 1987 not 1978.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 06-01-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #373
SackAttack
Head Coach

So Greg Goodloe just hit his third homer of the spring for me.

The PBP guy was pretty excited, yelling "Go to war, Miss Agnes!"

I don't know why I found that so hilarious, but I'm still laughing. Is that a cultural reference I'm missing?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #374
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
umm...2/3?

2/3 of what?

Buc,

Higher than 7.

Single season HR was 65.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #375
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't know why I found that so hilarious, but I'm still laughing. Is that a cultural reference I'm missing?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...ball-storyutil
Old 06-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #376
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

That was one of Chuck Thompson's - HoF broadcaster for the Orioles (and Baltimore Colts) -catchphrases.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #377
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

The career HR leader has 700
The career hits leader has 3500
The career Wins leader has 350
The career K leader has 4300
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #378
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

Hall of Fame Broadcaster Chuck Thompson of the Orioles used to say this.

Edit: Whoops, beaten to the punch.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 06-01-2006 at 09:14 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #379
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

dola

Are you using different eras? Also, sorry if this has been answered.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #380
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks
The career HR leader has 700
The career hits leader has 3500
The career Wins leader has 350
The career K leader has 4300

HR - Lower
H - Lower
W - Lower
K - Lower
Old 06-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #381
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

HR 650
h- 3200
W- 325
K- 3500

Hope they aren't too low... Last guess

Last edited by GoSeahawks : 06-01-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #382
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
2/3 of what?

Buc,

Higher than 7.

Single season HR was 65.

Play along.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #383
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks
dola

Are you using different eras? Also, sorry if this has been answered.

Yes, I clicked on the options to make it resemble each era. So this is 1901 to 1973, fictional players, 30 team major league, DH in one league, no financial options toggles, injuries at normal.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #384
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Play along.

It saddens me I didn't get to go the full 100, I'd have loved the steroid era. Such is life.

I only looked at the career leader board. It looked like there was an incredible pitcher. Only stat that really jumped out at me was the stolen base leader who was well over 800. The rest of the stats looked reasonable.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #385
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I think this is an import from FM, but the frequency of trade offers and opportunities between foreign leagues is just off the chart. Trades between MLB teams and foreign teams are pretty rare, but I got 11 different trade offers from foreign teams in my first two months of simming.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #386
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Yes, I clicked on the options to make it resemble each era. So this is 1901 to 1973, fictional players, 30 team major league, DH in one league, no financial options toggles, injuries at normal.

Actually 2/3 is not that far off. If you played through the eras (why???), then about 2/3 of the time you probably had guys that lead the season with 20 HRs.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to start at 2006 and play forward since not many care about the historical eras and think baseball sims should only be about how it is played now?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #387
CraigSca
Pro Starter

So far so good with this one. Sure, there are some annoying bugs that people have explained here:

Like when you click on the substitution screen in-game, it doesn't save your last view and will automatically show you're entire roster rather than just the pitchers, or just the hitters.

There's a bug in the app itself that causes it to use 100% of your CPU. It seems to get slower and slower as it goes along.

The interface is a little less than intuitive, but should get better as you learn it.

The bug where, since injuries are now accurately reflected, the lower minors tend to run out of players (because the parent club needs to replace the injuries). This causes an autosim to stop.

The fact that I can't use one pitch per batter to steal, hit and run, etc. I can either quick sim a batter or utilize one of the strategies.

Overall, however...I'm liking this more than previous iterations. I love the fact that when I'm playing a game I can see what this batter has done against this pitcher when they faced each other in the past - very cool. I love the accurate injuries. This will definitely take some time to delve into, but I can see myself getting much further along in this game than previous versions.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #388
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Hall of Fame Broadcaster Chuck Thompson of the Orioles used to say this.

Edit: Whoops, beaten to the punch.

I did not know that. Very cool.

At any rate, he hit another in the 9th inning - which was a good thing, because my reliever gave up 3 in the bottom of the 9th. Would've tied the game, too, not for that homer.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:25 PM   #389
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I think this is an import from FM, but the frequency of trade offers and opportunities between foreign leagues is just off the chart. Trades between MLB teams and foreign teams are pretty rare, but I got 11 different trade offers from foreign teams in my first two months of simming.

I don't think that's a FM thing since there really aren't trades in FM.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:29 PM   #390
aran
High School Varsity

How's the report generation/uploading going, Troy?

I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to peruse some hard data.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #391
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

Through 1973:

Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #392
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran
How's the report generation/uploading going, Troy?

I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to peruse some hard data.

Still creating the reports. I'm worried about the size. We'll see how big it ends up being.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #393
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I don't think that's a FM thing since there really aren't trades in FM.
Really? I thought transfers and what not were a huge part of that game.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #394
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike

Damned impressive guesswork. Almost wondering if you did this yourself.

HR - 592
Hits - 3109
W - 312 (I believe I had five man rotations selected by default, I didn't change those)
K - 3726

I really can't complain with any of the numbers. It looks like hits and HR are a tad low, wins and K's would be pretty reasonable for a five man rotation.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #395
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Damned impressive guesswork. Almost wondering if you did this yourself.

HR - 592
Hits - 3109
W - 312 (I believe I had five man rotations selected by default, I didn't change those)
K - 3726

I really can't complain with any of the numbers. It looks like hits and HR are a tad low, wins and K's would be pretty reasonable for a five man rotation.

I think that's pretty close to what I'm getting. I'm in 1966 right now, autosimming until 1972, I'll post what I come up with.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #396
Qrusher14242
High School JV

Looks like the 255 bug is still there. You cant have more than 255 runs or RBI's. Markus said it was going to be fixed for this release, but he changed his mind
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #397
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242
Looks like the 255 bug is still there. You cant have more than 255 runs or RBI's. Markus said it was going to be fixed for this release, but he changed his mind

Huh? You mean in a single season? Is it really that bad that you can't get more than 255 RBI in a year?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #398
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak
I think that's pretty close to what I'm getting. I'm in 1966 right now, autosimming until 1972, I'll post what I come up with.

This is taking forever. I'm not confident I'm going to have the space for this thing when it gets done. I tried limiting a big chunk of data, but it's not looking good at all.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #399
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19

This is odd since I thought the engine was rewritten and wasn't using the code base my mistake I guess. Anyways, this is one reason, the vast difference between baseball in the MLB (US) and soccer in Europe as it relates to interaction among teams and leagues. In Europe as with most things there is a "free" flow of talent across national borders from different teams and leagues. In the Major Leagues, many players come from the Domincan Republic/PR, some from Cuba , a few out of Venezuala and Columbia plus about 20 players from Japan/Korea. That's it. There shouldn't be 150 players from Italy showing up in the Majors or MLB minors for that matter.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-01-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #400
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
This is taking forever. I'm not confident I'm going to have the space for this thing when it gets done. I tried limiting a big chunk of data, but it's not looking good at all.

I'm just getting my info off of the in game "catobase" tracker.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote