Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #201
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Holy shit, if this is true, then they did get a HUGE let off.

(this is per a couple posts on Big Soccer)

Juve serie b -17
Fiorentina serie a -19
Lazio serie a -11
MIlan serie a -8, CL preliminaries.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...374375&cc=5901

Quote:

ROME, July 25 (Reuters) - An appeals court confirmed on Tuesday that Juventus will play in Italy's second division Serie B next season but reduced the penalty points imposed on the soccer club for their involvement in a match-fixing scandal from -30 points to -17.
The court overturned a sports tribunal's decision to relegate Fiorentina and Lazio, allowing them stay in the top flight Serie A league next season but with penalty points. Fiorentina will start the new season with -19 points and Lazio with -11 points.

Initial reports suggest that AC Milan have been reinstated in the UEFA Champions League.

Damn.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #202
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Damn is right. These teams dodged a huge bullet. I guess it's still okay to mess with referees given that these penalties aren't too severe. Who cares about the integrity of the game?
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #203
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

dola

I love the statement by Juve's chairman: hxxp://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=374399&cc=5739

It basically comes across as, "If you don't let us back into Serie A, we're going to start stamping our feet. If that doesn't work, we're going to hold our breath until our faces turn blue."

Last edited by Ajaxab : 07-25-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM   #204
ice4277
Pro Rookie

That is bullshit.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #205
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

watch, the next level of appeals will knock it down some more.

The end of it will be four slaps on the wrist, and an official Parliment message of thanks about their tactics preparing Italy for the World Cup
Old 07-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #206
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised. It is Italy after all.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #207
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Interesting. I'm glad Juve's penalty was reduced some, and I hope they'll be able to bounce back up next year, but Milan being allowed into the Champions League is a complete joke. Taking away the CL money was the real punishment. With this decision, Milan got away scot-free. Color me shocked.

I feel sorry for the supporters of Lecce and Treviso. It must have been a serious roller coast for them the past few weeks.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #208
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik
I feel sorry for the supporters of Lecce and Treviso. It must have been a serious roller coast for them the past few weeks.

I have no idea what those two squads have done in terms of bringing players in, but they could be screwed financially as well, especially if they've been bringing in/keeping players with wage levels you would find in Serie A.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #209
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
I thought Milan were still out of the CL.

In any case, yes, this is a huge difference - Juve's odds of winning promotion just doubled and Milan now have an outside shot at the title. Lazio and Fiorentina probably won't get into Europe next year, but just being in Serie A will be huge (especially for Lazio, given their financial situation).

Report is that Milan is now the 4th team in for the CL. So qualifiers. Also Juve is going to sue in civil court to remain in Serie A.

Everyone knew it was coming, but what a joke. I'm sure Juve will get even more lenient treatment on their appeal, probably ending up back in Serie A. You try and fix matches and then get a slap on the wrist.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #210
Desnudo
Coordinator

Ok, so looking into a bit further it appears that the evidence against Lazio and Fiorentina was pretty light to start with. Especially Lazio. Milan and Juve handling is ridiculous though.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:30 PM   #211
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Report is that Milan is now the 4th team in for the CL. So qualifiers. Also Juve is going to sue in civil court to remain in Serie A.

Everyone knew it was coming, but what a joke. I'm sure Juve will get even more lenient treatment on their appeal, probably ending up back in Serie A. You try and fix matches and then get a slap on the wrist.

It does look that way now, yes.

I think Juve were the only ones who had completely indefensible evidence against them. The rest weren't exactly innocent, but pretty clearly not on the same level. I don't have a problem with Fiorentina or Lazio's current punishment, and I could live with Milan's if it weren't for the CL reinstatement.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:34 AM   #212
Desnudo
Coordinator

What looks odd to me is that Lazio and Fiorentina (especially) were buying up Serie A level players weeks before the verdict. I think the whole thing has become a sham. I think Milan's control of the media covered up their role. Really it should have been Milan to B and Juve to C in an impartial world.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #213
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Nice goal by the Crew.

Shame that Everton didn't start Howard.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #214
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
It does look that way now, yes.

I think Juve were the only ones who had completely indefensible evidence against them. The rest weren't exactly innocent, but pretty clearly not on the same level. I don't have a problem with Fiorentina or Lazio's current punishment, and I could live with Milan's if it weren't for the CL reinstatement.
If Milan is indeed found guilty of bribing (which it sounds like it does), then they have no business in playing in the UEFA competitions this season. If they do, UEFA has become even more of a joke than they already were...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #215
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
If Milan is indeed found guilty of bribing (which it sounds like it does), then they have no business in playing in the UEFA competitions this season. If they do, UEFA has become even more of a joke than they already were...

Can UEFA even do anything about it? I was under the impression that it's up to the FA of the said country to determine who appears in which tourney. Wasn't that one of the things last year when Liverpool wasn't going to get in the CL despite winning the year before?

So if the Italian FA says Milan is in, then they're in. Of course, I'm sure if UEFA really wanted to, they could keep Milan out, but I don't see that ever happening.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #216
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

UEFA are considering Milan's position later today. They could ban Milan themselves and either insist on another Italian club or give the spot to a team from another national league. It would be ironic, and deserved, if they took the second option and Italy lost a spot because of this.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #217
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Having just read the article on soccernet about Milan in the Champions League, I see that their is precedent for UEFA to kick Milan out (Marseille back in the early '90s). I really hope they do. It will make the pain of having Juve in Serie B a little more bearable.

Oh, and congrats to Inter for finally being able to "win" the scudetto.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #218
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Comprehensive Summary of the Italy Investigation:

Very informative read

http://blogs.foxsports.com/BobbyMcMahon/2006/07/26/The_Italian_Scandal_can_we_debate_the_facts_as_best_we_can_please2
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #219
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

That's a pretty good summary.

How does Franco Carraro, ex-FA head, get off with only a 80,000 euro fine?
Old 07-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #220
Critch
lolzcat

Manchester United have signed Michael Carrick from Spurs for 17mil pounds, according to Setanta.

Seems like a lot of cash for a defensive midfielder who can't tackle Serious downgrade from the Vieira or Gattuso rumors.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #221
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Some good news for MLS fans, apparently Fox Soccer Channel has finally agreed to a deal with MLS, so starting this weekend, you will see a MLS game of the week on FSC again.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #222
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Now official, Ruud van Nistelrooij from Manchester United to Real Madrid.

I suppose that means Raul is going back to midfield duties then.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #223
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Some good news for MLS fans, apparently Fox Soccer Channel has finally agreed to a deal with MLS, so starting this weekend, you will see a MLS game of the week on FSC again.

Good news, something worth watching on FSC again. SoccerTV lists Kansas City v New England on FSC this saturday evening.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #224
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Be great if I didn't have to pay an extra $10 a month for it. As it is, not great news.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #225
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh.. DirecTV has it and GolTV for free as part of the Sports Pack
Old 07-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #226
GrantDawg

Quote:
Oh.. DirecTV has it and GolTV for free as part of the Sports Pack

Comcast has it as part of their "sports pack" too, but it would have been the only channel worth watching on the whole deal, and it is an extra $10 a month. Not worth it.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:26 PM   #227
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Now official, Ruud van Nistelrooij from Manchester United to Real Madrid.

I suppose that means Raul is going back to midfield duties then.

For a nice 15 mil Euro. First step to paying back that 660 mil pounds they owe .
Old 07-27-2006, 05:27 PM   #228
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Comcast has it as part of their "sports pack" too, but it would have been the only channel worth watching on the whole deal, and it is an extra $10 a month. Not worth it.

$10 a month? Wow... I can't believe it is that different in Covington. It's $5/month in Roswell and the Sports Pack has FSC, GolTV, FS Atlantic, Central, and Pacific, plus a few others around here.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #229
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
For a nice 15 mil Euro. First step to paying back that 660 mil pounds they owe .

Not if they turn around and spend 25mil Euro on Carrick
Old 07-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #230
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Not if they turn around and spend 25mil Euro on Carrick

Yeah, I just saw that post of yours!

What in the WORLD are ManU thinking?! 17 mil pounds is more than Owen's price last year wasn't it? Now, Owen's been injured all over the place afterwards (couldn't have predicted that, really), but its utter insanity to think Carrick was bought for more than Owen was!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-27-2006 at 05:39 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #231
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

No word on the fee yet for Ruud. Infact, Man Utd haven't even confirmed it yet and Nistelrooy's agent is not speaking to the media about it. The only confirmation so far of any kind is that it has been put up on the Real website. And all this considering just yesterday Ferguson said that even though Real had marginally improved their offer, they were still well off their valuation and nothing had changed. So, colour me skeptical at this point.

Also I can't find anything anywhere on the Carrick thing, although Man U are definitley interested in him and had made a bid before of £10m which was turned down.

Fwiw, Owen went to Real Madrid for £12m and left for Newcastle for £18m.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:24 PM   #232
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

My understanding is that the real sticking point was Madrid's wish to pay the fee over time with appearance fees etc defining the final price whereas Utd wanted cash up front. Assuming that's what they have then I suspect that this will now bring on the Carrick deal.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #233
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
Also I can't find anything anywhere on the Carrick thing, although Man U are definitley interested in him and had made a bid before of £10m which was turned down.

It's on the front page of the Setanta website, they're claiming it as an exclusive. They're the only ones reporting it at the moment, but they do carry MUTV so it should be from a good source.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:12 PM   #234
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
No word on the fee yet for Ruud. Infact, Man Utd haven't even confirmed it yet and Nistelrooy's agent is not speaking to the media about it. The only confirmation so far of any kind is that it has been put up on the Real website. And all this considering just yesterday Ferguson said that even though Real had marginally improved their offer, they were still well off their valuation and nothing had changed. So, colour me skeptical at this point.

According to the Man Utd website:

Quote:
Ruud van Nistelrooy has been given the go-ahead to undergo a medical with Real Madrid.

This means that the money issue has obviously been resolved. If Man Utd had not settled a fee there is no way they would let the player undertake a medical with another club.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #235
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
It's beginning to appear all over the place now. Here's The Independant. It's not usually given over to wild rumour:

Quote:
The Carrick transfer was concluded in the small hours of yesterday morning and the 25-year-old was understood to be in Manchester yesterday with the likelihood he will be announced as a United player today.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/footb...cle1201257.ece

Last edited by Mac Howard : 07-27-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #236
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Btw,
am I the only one who's a big fan of the Guardian's coverage of ... well.. every sport ? i love their minute by minute cricket and football stuff - and even their rumors are amusing.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:45 AM   #237
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
but its utter insanity to think Carrick was bought for more than Owen was!

IMO there much more good strikers than good defensive midfielders so it seems normal to pay more for that kind of players.

But true, the real insanity is to consider Carrick a top notch DM.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:28 AM   #238
condors
College Starter

I sure hope Saha can stay healthy, i don't have a problem with Carrick he isn't Keane, but i like him as a player.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #239
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreizhManu
IMO there much more good strikers than good defensive midfielders so it seems normal to pay more for that kind of players.

But true, the real insanity is to consider Carrick a top notch DM.

Indeed... we are not talking about Makalele or Gattuso here. Carrick isn't even a holding midfielder. He's a deep lying playmaker.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #240
Critch
lolzcat

More good news on the televised soccer front. GolTV has picked up some German soccer, starting with the Liga Pokal tomorrow morning. Hamburg v Hertha at 9.30 then Shalke v Leverkusen at 12-ish.

It's like the start of the season for me, even if the Liga Pokal is a fairly laidback, unimportant compitition.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:49 PM   #241
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm sure Liverpool fans are pumped about that Champions League qualifying draw....
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:30 AM   #242
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg

Seriously? Their sports pack includes CSTV where we are, which carries a lot of college football games both live and repeat, iirc.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #243
daedalus
Pro Rookie

So, uhhh, Carrick and Pennant went for how much? Yikes. AND gadzooks. No wonder we can't afford any Englishmen on our club. 10 large for Mr Davies? Hey, no thanks. That said, I think Carrick is a very good player who will be in a great situation -- and I think ManU are looking better day-by-day -- and Pennant has the ability to be one. But the very idea of Pennant, Bellamy and Fowler on the same squad makes me giggle. Like a schoolgirl.

On the other hand, dagnabbit, it'd be nice to see us come up with a solid 23-25 year central defender -- seriously, I'd dig us taking a flyer on Onyewu -- who has had some first team experience so I don't have to tear my hair out with the concept of "Central Defender, Pascal Cygan". I mean, y'all cannot possibly imagine how much the concept of the Cybot wearing #6 in these friendlies gives us ulcers. Or gas. More ulcer than gas, though. Mostly.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #244
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

So UEFA has postponed any decision on Milan and allowed them a provisional place in the third qualifying stage. With the decision to come down 2 Aug and the third stage starting that next week, if they do kick Milan out (not holding my breath), what's going to happen? Does UEFA pull in someone else to qualify, or does Milan's opponent get an automatic pass?
Old 07-29-2006, 11:03 AM   #245
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik
So UEFA has postponed any decision on Milan and allowed them a provisional place in the third qualifying stage. With the decision to come down 2 Aug and the third stage starting that next week, if they do kick Milan out (not holding my breath), what's going to happen? Does UEFA pull in someone else to qualify, or does Milan's opponent get an automatic pass?

I would think that Milan's opponents will get a free pass into the Champion's League if they decide to kick Milan out, but I doubt Milan are going to be removed from the competition.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #246
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
Seriously? Their sports pack includes CSTV where we are, which carries a lot of college football games both live and repeat, iirc.

None that really cared that much about. I had it for over a year, and only watched the soccer channels. It just wasn't worth it.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #247
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
More good news on the televised soccer front. GolTV has picked up some German soccer, starting with the Liga Pokal tomorrow morning. Hamburg v Hertha at 9.30 then Shalke v Leverkusen at 12-ish.

It's like the start of the season for me, even if the Liga Pokal is a fairly laidback, unimportant compitition.

That was the longest round of penalties EVER.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:07 AM   #248
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S
I would think that Milan's opponents will get a free pass into the Champion's League if they decide to kick Milan out, but I doubt Milan are going to be removed from the competition.
UEFA has to withdraw's Italy's apporval of ACMilan in the Champions' League, if they want to keep their credibility (like they still have that ). They kicked Dynamo Kiyv out for one ref bribing attempt (albeit being in the CL itself). Milan has been found guilty of bribing their place in the league. Olympique Marseille was denied access.

It's a really bad sign to the soccer world if teams who fix games to get into European competitions are not punished for it.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #249
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277

So long that my tivo stopped recording before they finished.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #250
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277

None of the GKs will be confused with Jens Lehmann .