Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #51
Passacaglia
Coordinator

This is pretty strange -- playing the demo, I had my scouts scouting Spain, and they all had several guys on their list of scouted players after 1 month. Or are you talking about something else?

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #52
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
This is pretty strange -- playing the demo, I had my scouts scouting Spain, and they all had several guys on their list of scouted players after 1 month. Or are you talking about something else?

Nope, pretty sure that's what I'm talking about.

My England scout is up to 9 players on his list after his trip ended and I restarted it, but Germany-boy is still stuck with 6 guys, and he's on his third go-round.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #53
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Nope, pretty sure that's what I'm talking about.

My England scout is up to 9 players on his list after his trip ended and I restarted it, but Germany-boy is still stuck with 6 guys, and he's on his third go-round.

and how good is your scout at judging player potential and current ability?

FM
Old 10-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #54
path12
Coordinator

Might it also have something to do with how good your team is?

I know if I'm in conference or something like that my scouts will find tons of players because my team isn't that talented. When you get up more towards Premiership you might find less because there's less out there that will be a benefit...don't remember what team you are playing with.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #55
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

I pre-ordered at Gogamer last year and got on release day. So I figured I would be smart again and pay the extra money for next day delivery and preorder again with them.

So, I log on to check my order wednesday and it says "processing title in stock should ship in 24 hrs". I fire off an email to customer support this morning as it still reads the same. I decide to check my email to see if I have gotten any response and to my surprise I have a confirmation of order cancellation .Flipping scrotums.

I have never had a problem with them like this. Oh well, I intend to send a complaint but at this point I guess I will wait for the digital download.

Last edited by Bea-Arthurs Hip : 10-20-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:35 PM   #56
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
and how good is your scout at judging player potential and current ability?

FM

Not as good as before both my scouts got poached within three days of the league starting, I can say that. That said, the guys I have left (and I just hired a third):

Kevin Kavanaugh (England/Scotland): 15 ability, 13 potential
Robert Turner (England/Germany): 14 ability, 12 potential
Stephen Howes (England/Wales): 12 ability, 14 potential

I would expect guys not as good at judging ability/potential to yield more, not fewer, players, as I would expect there to be some measure of overrating going on as well as underrating.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #57
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Might it also have something to do with how good your team is?

I know if I'm in conference or something like that my scouts will find tons of players because my team isn't that talented. When you get up more towards Premiership you might find less because there's less out there that will be a benefit...don't remember what team you are playing with.

Maybe. I'm playing with West Brom, and we're currently tearing up the Championship.

But the problem with that though is that there's virtually no communication from my scouts unless they're talking about my own players. No "Sorry, Boss, there just isn't much out there we think is useful."

Which makes it hard to figure out what's going on.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #58
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dammit, no!

Nigel Pearson poached away (he's my assistant coach) to go run Sheffield Wednesday.

That makes, like, five staff members I've lost in less than half a season.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #59
SackAttack
Head Coach

In fairness, he's making $375k at the new job, whereas I could only pay him $110k.

So that's the first staff member I've lost where I can really understand the reasoning.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #60
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I wonder if some of it is because these guys don't want to work for a virtual unknown. If so, that's kinda cool. But for those who want to start out with a big team, it kinda takes away the fun.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #61
SackAttack
Head Coach

Well the thing is, we're not really a "big" team. We're a Premiership yo-yo squad. Good enough to dominate the Championship (which we're doing), but I fully expect when we get promoted, we're going to spend next year fighting like mad not to go down again.

On the bright side, we just had a ridiculously profitable month, doubling our profits for the season.

Maybe the board can see through to letting me have more money for wages so I can, you know, cover the rash of injuries?
Old 10-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #62
SackAttack
Head Coach

It'd be nice if you could give the board reasoning for the funds request. As it stands, I can ask them for more (I'm over budget right now so I can't DO anything to get players who'd be marginally useful, even with the $5m transfer budget), and if they say no, I can give them an ultimatum.

No way to say "look, our entire frontcourt is out for two months, can I PLEASE sign some new players?"
Old 10-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #63
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Well the thing is, we're not really a "big" team. We're a Premiership yo-yo squad. Good enough to dominate the Championship (which we're doing), but I fully expect when we get promoted, we're going to spend next year fighting like mad not to go down again.

On the bright side, we just had a ridiculously profitable month, doubling our profits for the season.

Maybe the board can see through to letting me have more money for wages so I can, you know, cover the rash of injuries?

Since I usually play in Conference North or South, that seems like a big team to me. YMMV.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #64
KJDelaney
High School JV

Is FM 2007 available here in the US via download?
KJDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #65
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJDelaney View Post
Is FM 2007 available here in the US via download?

it will be. it's not out yet though. word is it will be b/w the 24th and 31st (closer to 24th prolly)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #66
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Sack, can it be played small screen?
Old 10-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #67
KJDelaney
High School JV

Thanks Daddy.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #68
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It can, you do not have to play full screen
Old 10-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #69
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
It can, you do not have to play full screen

Yeah, there's an option to turn off the full screen, but that's never worked for me, unless I run the path with -small_screen (or something -- it seems like it changes every year) at the end. And even then, my computer doesn't seem to like running that path unless there are no spaces in it (for example, I have to rename the directory "Sports Interactive" to "SportsInteractive") -- it can be a PITA, but as long as Marc tells me what to put at the end (which he always does), I'm cool.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:24 PM   #70
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Not as good as before both my scouts got poached within three days of the league starting, I can say that. That said, the guys I have left (and I just hired a third):

Kevin Kavanaugh (England/Scotland): 15 ability, 13 potential
Robert Turner (England/Germany): 14 ability, 12 potential
Stephen Howes (England/Wales): 12 ability, 14 potential

I would expect guys not as good at judging ability/potential to yield more, not fewer, players, as I would expect there to be some measure of overrating going on as well as underrating.

The scout's determination would influence the amount of players he finds more than his judging abilities.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #71
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I wonder if some of it is because these guys don't want to work for a virtual unknown. If so, that's kinda cool. But for those who want to start out with a big team, it kinda takes away the fun.

Sack, how did you label your level of experience at the beginning? Could they be leaving knowing that they're going to a club who has an established manager instead of a complete rookie at the helm? Of course if you created yourself as a player with a lot of experience from the outset, this is a moot point.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #72
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

That's the theory.

It's never worked for me, allegedly because of my video card.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:25 AM   #73
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post
The scout's determination would influence the amount of players he finds more than his judging abilities.

Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally.

That's news to me. Thank you, sir.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:27 AM   #74
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Sack, how did you label your level of experience at the beginning? Could they be leaving knowing that they're going to a club who has an established manager instead of a complete rookie at the helm? Of course if you created yourself as a player with a lot of experience from the outset, this is a moot point.

Random, although from the initial response of my supporters, it's likely I was 'randomly' assigned the rookie level. Still, I would expect that if that's influencing them to leave, that SI would have chosen that as a media response possibility, rather than 'base pay is unacceptable,' considering they've very nearly all taken the same amount to go to another team that I was offering them to stay.

'Ceptin' the last guy who left, Nigel Pearson; he took a 3x pay raise. I put out an advert for his replacement, and the Youth Coach for Man United said "ooh, ooh, me!" That surprised me a little.

Of course, he wants a raise from the $300k'ish that United are paying him to something closer to $900k to work for West Brom.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:51 AM   #75
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
it will be. it's not out yet though. word is it will be b/w the 24th and 31st (closer to 24th prolly)
It wont be available for download during those dates. Not sure where you got them from.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:06 AM   #76
KJDelaney
High School JV

OK.

Any idea when, if at all?
Old 10-21-2006, 02:13 AM   #77
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Of course, he wants a raise from the $300k'ish that United are paying him to something closer to $900k to work for West Brom.

He settled for $400k/year and a $375k signing bonus. Plus, I owe Man United compensation of around $600k, I think. Expensive, but for a guy of that quality to replace the guy who left, I'll take it.

He'll still be making that when I hit the Premiership next season, which at only $25k/year more than he was making as a youth coach, should be a bargain.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:33 AM   #78
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy View Post
It wont be available for download during those dates. Not sure where you got them from.

aaah. just assumed the digital download would be concurrent with the US release of WWSM
Old 10-21-2006, 03:12 AM   #79
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally.

That's news to me. Thank you, sir.

Oh, Lord. All three scouts have determination of '1.'
Old 10-21-2006, 03:19 AM   #80
SackAttack
Head Coach

I love this. Darlington have offered me a transfer fee of $0 for reserve Rob Davies, with a 40% sell-on clause.

That's hilarious.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:48 AM   #81
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I love this. Darlington have offered me a transfer fee of $0 for reserve Rob Davies, with a 40% sell-on clause.

That's hilarious.

I've had deals like that work out. If it's a young guy who doesn't fit into your plans and you can't properly develop him, you let him go, he plays full time and becomes decent and gets bought by a premiership squad and BAM, profit you'd have never gotten on a straight sale.

Mostly though, the offers are laughable.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:00 AM   #82
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm really getting pissed off at Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal continuing to pester me for Curtis Davies after months of 'no.'

It's to the point that Davies is upset now, and I really don't want to let him leave - he's so key to our defense that we'd go from clear promotion contenders to the Premiership to, at best, fighting for one of the playoff spots.

At best.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:01 AM   #83
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:

That is really new to me too, where has that been talked about? or is it in the manual?

Damn can't wait for my game, i was hoping i could get it for the weekend as gamplay shipped it to me 3 days ago, i guess i'll receive it on Monday then.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:08 AM   #84
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm really getting pissed off at Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal continuing to pester me for Curtis Davies after months of 'no.'

It's to the point that Davies is upset now, and I really don't want to let him leave - he's so key to our defense that we'd go from clear promotion contenders to the Premiership to, at best, fighting for one of the playoff spots.

At best.

How much are they offering? Surely it's enough for you to buy a replacement or two even. Start shopping for the replacement before you let him go though. Since he's upset his performance is bound to start suffering.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:10 AM   #85
Icy
Pro Starter

Btw, are the SI forums having lots of troubles to load or is it my connection?

Last edited by Icy : 10-21-2006 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:10 AM   #86
SackAttack
Head Coach

That's the thing. They aren't offering.

They're "inquiring as to how much I want." And doing it three times per week.

If they were offering me, I might consider listening for just that reason - sometimes you just can't say no.

What I've tried to do instead is ask him for a signing and then go get that player and hope that makes him happy.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:14 AM   #87
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If they were offering me, I might consider listening for just that reason - sometimes you just can't say no.

What I've tried to do instead is ask him for a signing and then go get that player and hope that makes him happy.

just set his value high enough to drive them off...aka "this player is essentially untouchable"

or set it for something to allow you to get a replacement...3-4x his value or something
Old 10-21-2006, 04:20 AM   #88
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, I can't figure out how to set his value. I can figure out how to set the asking price but those don't seem to be the same thing.

Hey, on the bright side we're now making in the millions each month in profit.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:22 AM   #89
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
In fairness, he's making $375k at the new job, whereas I could only pay him $110k.

So that's the first staff member I've lost where I can really understand the reasoning.

And Nigel Pearson played for Sheff Wed for years - no doubt they will be listed under his favourite clubs
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:25 AM   #90
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I can't figure out how to set his value. I can figure out how to set the asking price but those don't seem to be the same thing.

This year you can't set player's value, it's done auto by the game and i think it improves realism, one thing is what you want for the player (asking price) and another thing what is his real value compared with other players.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:29 AM   #91
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

setting his asking price is what i meant. just used the wrong terminolgy cuz it's 5:30am
Old 10-21-2006, 04:30 AM   #92
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Hey, on the bright side we're now making in the millions each month in profit.

You could also try setting his transfer status to "the club do not wish to sell this player."
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:34 AM   #93
SackAttack
Head Coach

It is.

The major clubs are ignoring that.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #94
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
That is really new to me too, where has that been talked about? or is it in the manual?

Damn can't wait for my game, i was hoping i could get it for the weekend as gamplay shipped it to me 3 days ago, i guess i'll receive it on Monday then.

Marc's hints and tips has this information.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:51 AM   #95
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Marc's hints and tips has this information.

Ah thanks, is it out for 07 or is that the 06 one?

Old 10-21-2006, 05:01 AM   #96
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

I don't think the new one is out yet.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:08 AM   #97
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It might be in the 06 guide, but I think that has been the case since at least CM4, if not before. (determination == more scouted players)
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #98
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

Go 10X value. They'll usually back off but sometimes they'll bite.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:32 AM   #99
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
It might be in the 06 guide, but I think that has been the case since at least CM4, if not before. (determination == more scouted players)

Damn. Five years of playing this game and I never realized that. I thought I read that guide carefully too....

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #100
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Just send back a 10-15M, 50% sell-on with an additional 1M for appearance and possibly for international appearance. Oh, and a friendly. Usually holds them off for awhile. And, well, if it doesn't, then, hey, you have money.

Other one is to ask for that and replacement back. A Djourou from Arsenal for example would be a good replacement and, if you can get a good chunk of money on top of that, all the better.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote