Old 11-09-2006, 06:10 AM   #251
Bee
Pro Starter

Mine shipped yesterday from Amazon.com.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:53 AM   #252
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

it's amazing how much more depth this game has now. Little things everywhere, like when I went to offer a new contract to one of my player and it told me that another one of my players might want to get a similar contract. Really neat little touch.

FM
Old 11-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #253
BigDPW
College Prospect

Marc? Any update on the Digital Download?
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #254
samifan24
Pro Starter

My Amazon copy will "ship soon."
Old 11-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #255
AlexB
Pro Starter

Ok - can I please ask just one thing?

When referring to English football clubs, the nickname is a substitute for the team name, not an extension of. So there is no such thing as 'Sheffield Wednesday Owls', 'Huddersfield Town Terriers', 'West Bromwich Albion Baggies' or 'Luton Town Hatters' as a (partially) random selection

It's an either or - 'Sheffield Wednesday' or 'The Owls', 'Huddersfield Town' or 'The Terriers', etc... You get the idea.

In order to fully integrate everybody into FM, I felt that this was important. Thank you.

Last edited by AlexB : 11-09-2006 at 12:39 PM.
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #256
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
'Huddersfield Town' or 'The Terriers'

an excellent choice for your example
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #257
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

When referring to English football clubs, the nickname is a substitute for the team name, not an extension of. So there is no such thing as 'Sheffield Wednesday Owls', 'Huddersfield Town Terriers', 'West Bromwich Albion Baggies' or 'Luton Town Hatters' as a (partially) random selection

It's an either or - 'Sheffield Wednesday' or 'The Owls', 'Huddersfield Town' or 'The Terriers', etc... You get the idea.

In order to fully integrate everybody into FM, I felt that this was important. Thank you.

maybe you should start an FOFC UK while you're at it

Got the hint but many things work against me here. I have taken to say "pitch" and not "field", "manager" and not "coach", being "sent off" and not "ejected" and even got "sacked" and not "fired" a few times. You can't ask a man to learn all at once.

Oh, and I was one of the first to ask if a UK English file was available to patch my WSM2006, so it's not like I'm not trying.

FM

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 11-09-2006 at 12:57 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #258
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:

Never figured out what your question was here? Are you just trying to make a statement so you can teach us yanks something???
Old 11-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #259
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Never figured out what your question was here? Are you just trying to make a statement so you can teach us yanks something???

Quite right, I started off differently to how I finished. Apologies - there is no question. I should have worded it 'Can we please refer to...'

It was genuinely intended as a helpful piece of advice - many of the guys here seem to be huge footy fans, and their knowledge of the players and the game is massive. But this one way of describing a team would never be used - so it was meant as a way of adding to the integration into the sport. Like I hope people would pick up a Brit using a slightly off bastardisation of the colloquial way of describing the team - I might know it's the Miami Porpoises and Buffalo Williams, but other may not...
Old 11-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #260
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I kinda like the name 'the Buffalo Williams'.

Last edited by Ajaxab : 11-09-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #261
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Quite right, I started off differently to how I finished. Apologies - there is no question. I should have worded it 'Can we please refer to...'

No need for apologies. If I were in your shoes it would bug me as well. It's funny here in America when we say we have a question for everyone we usually follow that up with the question - not an answer! (unless of course you happen to be my mother)

Last edited by BigDPW : 11-09-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #262
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
maybe you should start an FOFC UK while you're at it

Got the hint but many things work against me here. I have taken to say "pitch" and not "field", "manager" and not "coach", being "sent off" and not "ejected" and even got "sacked" and not "fired" a few times. You can't ask a man to learn all at once.

Oh, and I was one of the first to ask if a UK English file was available to patch my WSM2006, so it's not like I'm not trying.

FM

FM

Hope no offence was taken - explanation above. I know how big a fan you are - when I was outside the UK for 18 months I know how hard it is keeping in touch with the game, and completely lost touch with the NFL, so full respect for your following of The Beautiful Game.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #263
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Hope no offence was taken - explanation above. I know how big a fan you are - when I was outside the UK for 18 months I know how hard it is keeping in touch with the game, and completely lost touch with the NFL, so full respect for your following of The Beautiful Game.

nah, none taken, wasn't really aware of the "rule". I'll try to remember the lesson.

I always play in England too (or at least always start my career there) and using the right English wording for stuff is one amazing way to completely get immersed in the game, to feel as if I'm really there managing the club. It also adds a bit to my knowledge and use of the English language everyday (native tongue is French in case you didn't know)

FM
Old 11-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #264
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

I would never have known this and must admit I'm pretty disappointed. I really liked the idea of managing the Barnet Bees.

Ah...what the hell. In my game universe, it's still the Barnet Bees.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #265
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

To add to JRS's comments, I would like to point out that it's either "Oakland Raiders" or "Fucking Pieces of Shit." It's not "Oakland Raiders Fucking Pieces of Shit" like many of us call them.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #266
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:

What about QPR? That would be an exception wouldn't it?
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #267
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapBone View Post

Not sure that they are the Rangers of Queens Park. When you refer to them by a nickname, it would be "The Rs". I learned that at least

FM
Old 11-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #268
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

Kinda - QPR are 'The Hoops' (edit: or indeed the R's), the Rangers is part of their full name, rather than a nickname.

Rangers is in effect the equivalent of Wanderers, City or Town. Which gives me an idea to keep people semi-amused for 5 minutes....

Last edited by AlexB : 11-09-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #269
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:
Kinda - QPR are 'The Hoops' (edit: or indeed the R's), the Rangers is part of their full name, rather than a nickname.

Rangers is in effect the equivalent of Wanderers, City or Town. Which gives me an idea to keep people semi-amused for 5 minutes....

Understood. I have another question about Newcastle. Do they use "The Toon" to refer to the team or the town or both? And if you know this bit of trivia, where does that name come from? We could probably start another thread about this but I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to deignorant myself.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #270
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

interesting. Had never heard them referred to as The Hoops before as in the game, they always go with The Rs...

FM
Old 11-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #271
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Understood. I have another question about Newcastle. Do they use "The Toon" to refer to the team or the town or both? And if you know this bit of trivia, where does that name come from? We could probably start another thread about this but I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to deignorant myself.

From Wikipedia:

In Geordie, a North Eastern dialect of English English, "Toon" refers to Newcastle ("Toon" coming from "toon", the dialectal version of "town"); the supporters of local football team Newcastle United are nicknamed the "Toon Army".
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #272
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
From Wikipedia:

In Geordie, a North Eastern dialect of English English, "Toon" refers to Newcastle ("Toon" coming from "toon", the dialectal version of "town"); the supporters of local football team Newcastle United are nicknamed the "Toon Army".

Rodney Marsh (an equivalent of JB, Howie, Terry, etc) got the sack from Sky Sports for a joke about this... The thing was the joke was only offensive to David Beckham, but I think the timing of it was the problem.

The day after the SE Asian natural disaster 2 years ago, Marsh said that when Becks was told of the tsunami had killed thousands, he'd said he didn't even know Newcastle were playing away...

Last edited by AlexB : 11-09-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #273
SlapBone
High School JV

WTF?!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:44 PM   #274
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
WTF?!

Dunno!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #275
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Mass delete, aisle 5!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #276
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Mass delete, aisle 5!

Cheers - delted two and put 'triple post' in the reason. Came back and there was about 10 others... As Slapbone said WTF? I hit CTRL + ENT by accident which sometimes does cause a double, but a decapost... weird. Sorry mods.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #277
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Dunno!

I've pointed it out to SD, second time this has happened this week... Not sure how to begin diagnosing it though..

Did anything weird happen when you posted? Did you have a delay and hit submit multiple times or anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #278
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Cheers - delted two and put 'triple post' in the reason. Came back and there was about 10 others... As Slapbone said WTF? I hit CTRL + ENT by accident which sometimes does cause a double, but a decapost... weird. Sorry mods.

Well, the weird thing, as with the post earlier this week, is that it progressively added words as you posted..

CTRL-ENT... I've never done that before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #279
SlapBone
High School JV

All I was thinking was "Boy, those Brits sure have a weird sense of humor".
Old 11-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #280
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yay Peterhead! Go Blue Toon!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:57 PM   #281
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Can I ask some questions? (And I actually mean that)

Will I be able to buy WWSM in stores?

I'm getting a new laptop soon. What kind should I get, if all I really want to do with it is play FOF, WWSM, and Civ4?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #282
Icy
Pro Starter

Intersting stuff about UK teams nicknames... in Spain not any team has a nickname, only the city name adding the word "Real", "Athletic", "Atletico" or "FC=Futbol club".

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #283
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Can I ask some questions? (And I actually mean that)

Will I be able to buy WWSM in stores?

I'm getting a new laptop soon. What kind should I get, if all I really want to do with it is play FOF, WWSM, and Civ4?

Can't help for the store question or what to look for in a laptop for FOF or Civ4 but I got some thoughts for playing FM/WSM. A dual core processor, or at least an intel with hyperthread, is highly recommended as well as plenty of RAM. Don't know about the cost of RAM for a laptop, but I'd say go for 2gb and you won't be disappointed.

My new computer is an AMD X2 4200+ running at 2Ghz with 2gb of RAM and it really is running very, very well with a pretty nice setup of a game in FM (see previous post of mine about what league I'm running).

FM

FM
Old 11-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #284
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one with an irrational pet peeve.

Thank you for the enlightenment, sir.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #285
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

hey, stupid question here. I just took a look at my U18 squad and all the players aged 18 that I just sent down are marked as ineligible for the next match, what gives? I think I remember that an 18yo player used to be able to player with the U18 team, no?

FM
Old 11-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #286
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
hey, stupid question here. I just took a look at my U18 squad and all the players aged 18 that I just sent down are marked as ineligible for the next match, what gives? I think I remember that an 18yo player used to be able to player with the U18 team, no?

FM

I thought I remembered seeing players on my U18 who turned 18 getting automatically moved to the reserve squad.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:07 PM   #287
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I thought I remembered seeing players on my U18 who turned 18 getting automatically moved to the reserve squad.

From what I remember, if a player was 18 to start the season, he was eligible to play with the U18. That meant I even had some 19yo playing in there later on in the season, although this might have been only on FM2005 and not on '2006. I'm fairly sure an 18yo was allowed to play with the U18 though...

FM
Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #288
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

it's apparently been reported as a bug and a mod over at SI posted it's been logged although I don't see any mention of it in the list of fixes...

Also, I offered a player and received two emails from Exeter. One saying they would not be putting in a bid, the other saying they were bidding. They ended up signing the player. Kind of odd. I have screenies if needed...

FM
Old 11-09-2006, 10:59 PM   #289
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

here's another little thing that bugs me. When I go to the team report screen, the one from my assistant manager, he shows his report with the basic 4-4-2 tactics still in there, even though I've altered the tactics tô play a 4-1-2-1-2 wide diamond formation. Not too sure if that alters his reporting or not, but it didn't do that in FM2006.

FM
Old 11-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #290
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and while we were playing friendlies, there were many reports in the team talk screen, now that we've started the season, after our first game, nothing in there. Nothing regarding how the players reacted to my pre-game talk, nothing about half-time talk, nor full game talk...

During preseason, there would be some stuff like "was not listeining" or "demotivated, got boost, motivated". Now, when you'd think it would count the most, the regular season, nothing...

FM
Old 11-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #291
SackAttack
Head Coach

They don't always listen. You have to pick your battles.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:11 AM   #292
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
They don't always listen. You have to pick your battles.

I know that, what I'm saying is that during the preseason, my assistant was giving me this nice report of how EVERYBODY was reacting to my talks, even if his simple report was that they were not listening. Now, nothing is showing up on that report page, nothing at all, it's completely blank, even though I've played one league match, with pre-game, halftime, and full time talks...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 11-10-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #293
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Can't help for the store question or what to look for in a laptop for FOF or Civ4 but I got some thoughts for playing FM/WSM. A dual core processor, or at least an intel with hyperthread, is highly recommended as well as plenty of RAM. Don't know about the cost of RAM for a laptop, but I'd say go for 2gb and you won't be disappointed.

My new computer is an AMD X2 4200+ running at 2Ghz with 2gb of RAM and it really is running very, very well with a pretty nice setup of a game in FM (see previous post of mine about what league I'm running).

FM

FM

That's about what I looked for. I got a dell with a high processor speed (2GHz), lots of RAM (2GB), and a decent video card (256 MB ATI Radeon X1400). I'm excited to run FM fast, as opposed to the slooow pace on my 980 mHz with 128 or 256 MB of RAM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:37 PM   #294
SackAttack
Head Coach

Upshot - Clint Dempsey scores the winning goal in the EURO Cup final against Manchester United, giving him 14 for the competition and 38 for the year.

Downshot - the damn US team ran him ragged in World Cup qualifications and he's now out two months with hip injuries.

Upshot - the ridiculous bank we made means that our transfer and wage budgets are through the roof this season, so I was able to buy some extra attacking players, and hopefully rotate everybody better this year.

Downshot - we have some woefully insecure guys whining about the new additions.

Joy.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #295
SackAttack
Head Coach

C'mon, Dempsey, heal from that hip injury. Those ratings keep dropping.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #296
SackAttack
Head Coach

And apparently Arsene Wenger has retired from Arsenal, and they now want to poach me away from WBA.

I may split my save here and play around with Arsenal while I continue my WBA career.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #297
SackAttack
Head Coach

Oh. He didn't retire, he left for FC Bayern.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #298
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
here's another little thing that bugs me. When I go to the team report screen, the one from my assistant manager, he shows his report with the basic 4-4-2 tactics still in there, even though I've altered the tactics tô play a 4-1-2-1-2 wide diamond formation. Not too sure if that alters his reporting or not, but it didn't do that in FM2006.

FM

Quote:
dola, and while we were playing friendlies, there were many reports in the team talk screen, now that we've started the season, after our first game, nothing in there. Nothing regarding how the players reacted to my pre-game talk, nothing about half-time talk, nor full game talk...

During preseason, there would be some stuff like "was not listeining" or "demotivated, got boost, motivated". Now, when you'd think it would count the most, the regular season, nothing...

FM

okay, found what causes these things to happen. Turns out that if your assistant manager is also a player, when you move him to the reserves squad, he starts reporting about the reserves. I had just moved him to reserves right after our last friendly. My reserves are set in a bland 4-4-2 formation and they've not played a game yet, thus no team talk feedback. Moved him back to the senior squad (he's a 43yo backup, backup, backup goalkeeper) and boom all the reports are back.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 11-10-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #299
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
C'mon, Dempsey, heal from that hip injury. Those ratings keep dropping.

Ratings do go down while he's out of action, but likely will go up once he returns
Old 11-11-2006, 03:14 AM   #300
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Ratings do go down while he's out of action, but likely will go up once he returns

I know that. I was praying for him to heal before the ratings went down any further. The farther he falls, the higher he has to climb to get back to his 37-goal form.