Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #101
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I just think they are trying to make clear the thing the fact that in order to be the "American Idol" to Simon you need to be good looking. The 'Idol' is about singing and being attractive. They'll sell more records that way.

That's fine. He could have rectified that situation by saying, "I'm not sure if your look is right for this competition." The audience would have been fully aware of what he was implying and chuckled just as much without intentionally hurting the guy's feelings. There was no need for his comments intended to embarrass the guy.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #102
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I agree that last night was the first night I felt really uncomfortable with watching the show for a few minutes, particularly with those couple of people aforementioned. Not much talent last night. I think Jordin Sparks was the best of the group, but that wasn't saying much. I think the 19 year old sister and 17 year old brother were interesting as well, but she is going to have to work on confidence a great deal if she is going to succeed.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:29 AM   #103
MJ4H
Coordinator

I agree with the sentiments that the show bordered (or was over the line) on cruel last night. The worst was the larger guy after the guy with the big eyes. I'm sorry I don't remember his name. I didn't get the feeling he knew what he was getting in to. I also would not be surprised if there was a group of people that talked them into trying out, knowing what would probably happen. For the show to capitalize on that nonsense is pretty low. I have enjoyed the bad singers in the past, but I think they should do fewer of those and more of the borderline ones and the ones that make it. When 90% of the show is the failed auditions and the other 10% is one or two that made it, followed by a brief glimpse of some others that made it walking out of the room with their yellow tickets, I think we need to rethink things.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #104
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Not to mention that it gives an unfair advantage to some of the Golden Ticket winners whose stories are played up early on, while others are anonymous, 2-second glimpses. In a competition where the TV audience chooses who moves on, it is incumbent on the producers to give us as much information about the contestants as possible and have as level a playing field as possible. In 2 weeks, we'll be seeing all of these people again, but some of them will have a distinct advantage if they make it to the top 24.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #105
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Not to mention that it gives an unfair advantage to some of the Golden Ticket winners whose stories are played up early on, while others are anonymous, 2-second glimpses. In a competition where the TV audience chooses who moves on, it is incumbent on the producers to give us as much information about the contestants as possible and have as level a playing field as possible. In 2 weeks, we'll be seeing all of these people again, but some of them will have a distinct advantage if they make it to the top 24.

Uh, I would submit that is on purpose. It's a show and not designed to be "fair" to the voting public. I'm sure the business of American Idol feels no obligation to provide a level playing field to the voting public who will vote regardless and would prefer to highlight what it feels ultimately is a marketing success.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #106
Ksyrup

I'm well aware of that, I just think from our perspective, fairness is a consideration. But I recognize that the show ultimately succeeds because of storylines and them pushing the contestants they feel make the show more compelling.

I wonder, if you go back and look at the auditions/Hollywood Week shows that aired for the previous seasons, what the correlation between early recognition and, say, top 6 status is. Clearly, Taylor Hicks was one of the Golden Ticket awardees from last season who was highlighted because of how different he was and how old he looked. I wonder if there's a similar correlation from previous seasons.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #107
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm well aware of that, I just think from our perspective, fairness is a consideration. But I recognize that the show ultimately succeeds because of storylines and them pushing the contestants they feel make the show more compelling.

I wonder, if you go back and look at the auditions/Hollywood Week shows that aired for the previous seasons, what the correlation between early recognition and, say, top 6 status is. Clearly, Taylor Hicks was one of the Golden Ticket awardees from last season who was highlighted because of how different he was and how old he looked. I wonder if there's a similar correlation from previous seasons.

that would be interesting

get jbmagic on this
Old 01-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #108
Ksyrup

No, get that chick from Tuesday's show in Minneapolis who was the huge AI fan. I'm sure she could tell us off the top of her head.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #109
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
that would be interesting

get jbmagic on this

I bet he already has the answer, but just can't tell us.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #110
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Definitely yes for Reuben (and Clay who came in #2 that year). They were both heavily highlighted from the beginning.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #111
MikeVic
Head Coach

Going by who they've shown so far, I think a female winner is by far the favourite at this point.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #112
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That's fine. He could have rectified that situation by saying, "I'm not sure if your look is right for this competition." The audience would have been fully aware of what he was implying and chuckled just as much without intentionally hurting the guy's feelings. There was no need for his comments intended to embarrass the guy.

But that ain't why people watch Simon. Sure some people may have thought he went too far on some of those. But I'm sure a lot of others enjoyed it.

And, as the last guy who went through said, Simon is done. He was in a horrible mood from all the crap singers. And the show realized a golden oppertunity for more controversy and possibly some more ratings.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #113
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Usually those that are headed towards the top 24 the last few seasons are heavily highlighted. They visited Carrie Underwood's home, had Constantine tell his band he was leaving, went on Vonzell's postal route. Last year I know they went to Daughtry's hometown and Pickler's home and I believed they went to McPhees home and watched her do voice lessons if I remember right... For the most part, those in the top 24 do get alot of face time in the early stages.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #114
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I like how one of the guys last night threw Taylor Hicks back in his face. "You didn't believe in Taylor Hicks, Simon, and he won!" At the time of the taping, that was pretty harsh, and Simon looked a little (*very* little) taken by the comment.

Now, of course, a comment like that would elicit a giant belly laugh from Simon and a big ol' "Ifuckingtoldyouso"

Last edited by Toddzilla : 01-18-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
... possibly some more ratings.

Ain't no "possibly" about it.

More people watched last night's episode than all the other English-language broadcast networks combined.

These first two episodes drew more viewers than any other AI airings except for the Season 2 finale. More than 1 out of every 7 Americans watched last night (a 15.4 rating), nearly 1 out of ever 5 people ages 18-49 were watching at 9pm.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #116
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Ain't no "possibly" about it.

More people watched last night's episode than all the other English-language broadcast networks combined.

These first two episodes drew more viewers than any other AI airings except for the Season 2 finale. More than 1 out of every 7 Americans watched last night (a 15.4 rating), nearly 1 out of ever 5 people ages 18-49 were watching at 9pm.

So what you are saying is that Bush Baby Boy is famous.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #117
Ksyrup

As easy as it is to be critical of where they've gone with these first two episodes...I'm still watching. I'd like to see some things changed, but it's not enough to justify turning it off.

I just wish that Hicks imposter had actually gotten that goop in Simon's hair and received the beat-down he was seconds away from getting...now THAT would have been must-see TV!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-18-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #118
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
As easy as it is to be critical of where they've gone with these first two episodes...I'm still watching. I'd like to see some things changed, but it's not enough to justify turning it off.

I just wish that Hicks imposter had actually gotten that goop in Simon's hair and received the beat-down he was seconds away from getting...now THAT would have been must-see TV!

I wonder if they search people. The way it's going someone could very well kill simon right on camera. Or at the very least give him a mace facial.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #119
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So what you are saying is that Bush Baby Boy is famous.

Is that the one who sorta looked like a tall version of the caveman from the Geico commericals?

With all the hand-wringing today about how "cruel" last night's episode was, I think it's interesting to note how successful it was. And it's not like there wasn't some pretty serious promotion of what it was going to be like. I don't believe I've watched five minutes of all the AI episodes from every season combined, at least not unless you count the clips that make the news shows & such. It's just not the least bit interesting to me outside of the pop culture phenomenon aspect of it, and I can follow that just fine without enduring all the crappy pop music.

And yet I knew what last night's show was going to be about, Fox did a fantastic job of promoting the freak show aspect of it well in advance. The only people who should have been surprised by any of it were those who had been in comas or otherwise incommunicado for at least a couple of weeks.
And yet more people, far more people (5 million more than last year, +18%) tuned in. It speaks volumes about what the strongest aspect of the show is, and why Simon might just be one of the strongest characters ever in TV.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-18-2007 at 01:47 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #120
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Is that the one who sorta looked like a tall version of the caveman from the Geico commericals?

No. I think you're referring to Red.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #121
Ksyrup

The freak show aspect is not necessarily new, but they've ratcheted it up this season. Plus, I don't think they're differentiating between the people who have what appear to be social/intellectual issues and those who are just plain nuts - in a non-clinical way, of course. I knew how they were promoting last night, but they still went farther than usual and I was caught a bit off-guard by it.

Case in point being William Hung. If you put him side-by-side with the Zitsman Serial Killer dude, they kinda acted the same way - socially inept, clueless, etc. But Hung's issue was almost entirely culturally based, which is why he became such a phenomenon - he had an endearing innocent-yet-clueless quality to him (well, that's the best explanation I can come up with). Serial Killer dude and a few of the others have serious issues, the least of which is being embarrassed on national TV.

That's not to say it won't continue to be popular...but many will continue to be a bit uncomfortable with certain segments. Again, though, it's not enough to kill my interest in the show completely.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #122
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Part of the problem thus far is the fact that Minneapolis and Seattle have had the most dysfunctional miserable pathetic collection of misfits they've ever drawn.

That, and the producers seem to enjoy letting some of these people through to the auditions. I mean, there is no way 10,000 people get through to sing in front of the cameras, right? There has got to be some initial screening - like where they have everyone holed up like Katrina-victims in an arena somewhere.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #123
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Part of the problem thus far is the fact that Minneapolis and Seattle have had the most dysfunctional miserable pathetic collection of misfits they've ever drawn.

That, and the producers seem to enjoy letting some of these people through to the auditions. I mean, there is no way 10,000 people get through to sing in front of the cameras, right? There has got to be some initial screening - like where they have everyone holed up like Katrina-victims in an arena somewhere.

Yes and the judges are fully briefed as to who they are seeing. I'd guess in a given day maybe they see 100? Say 5 minutes a person is 120 people in 10 hours.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #124
Ksyrup

It looks like everything is pretty well scripted out, including who gets through to the judges. In fact, you can tell when the judges know they're getting a legit contestant by the way they act when the person immediately walks in the door. They've got the person's story in front of them and they seem to know beforehand that the person isn't a loon, as if they've been told "X person is coming in - you know, the one we told you about who is in the Navy." That kind of thing. I'm sure they do the same, to a degree, with some of the freaks they know they are going to highlight.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #125
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

I believe they have tables in middle where they do a 10 second audition. If you are picked to go through to the judges, at that point, you better realize that you are one of 2 types of people - Either you can sing or you are a freakshow.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #126
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
It looks like everything is pretty well scripted out, including who gets through to the judges. In fact, you can tell when the judges know they're getting a legit contestant by the way they act when the person immediately walks in the door. They've got the person's story in front of them and they seem to know beforehand that the person isn't a loon, as if they've been told "X person is coming in - you know, the one we told you about who is in the Navy." That kind of thing. I'm sure they do the same, to a degree, with some of the freaks they know they are going to highlight.

One thing I noticed last night was that segment they showed of a bunch of the misfits awkwardly singing the same song (I think the first one was "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me..."). They clearly asked them to sing those lines as either a 2nd song, or brought them back in later on to do it, since we saw each of them walk in, sing their own song, get crushed by the feedback, and walk out.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:39 PM   #127
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
One thing I noticed last night was that segment they showed of a bunch of the misfits awkwardly singing the same song (I think the first one was "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me..."). They clearly asked them to sing those lines as either a 2nd song, or brought them back in later on to do it, since we saw each of them walk in, sing their own song, get crushed by the feedback, and walk out.

Someone mentioned how those are poorly edited and you never see the judges in the same shot in those clips. I'm wondering if those are actually clips from contestants singing to the producers before they even get to see the judges?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #128
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Has this been posted? Paula in an interview.

I couldn't finish... how embarrassing.

hxxp://kingnutter.com/articles/view/248/
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #129
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:

There were several contestants that had complaints aired about this. I think it was Season 3. They complained they were voted off people of lack of air time. I'm not sure if that's any relation, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:03 AM   #130
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Someone mentioned how those are poorly edited and you never see the judges in the same shot in those clips. I'm wondering if those are actually clips from contestants singing to the producers before they even get to see the judges?

I learned about this last year. Either before or after these idiots audition (not sure which), they ask them to perform a particular song in front of producers or other off-air people. These clips of the episode's idiots singing the same song are never performed in front of the judges, which is why you see cut-away clips to the judges' expressions or generic remarks, but never an actual exchange between the two, because as someone said, we see these idiots go in front of the judges and get sent off.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:17 AM   #131
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I learned about this last year. Either before or after these idiots audition (not sure which), they ask them to perform a particular song in front of producers or other off-air people. These clips of the episode's idiots singing the same song are never performed in front of the judges, which is why you see cut-away clips to the judges' expressions or generic remarks, but never an actual exchange between the two, because as someone said, we see these idiots go in front of the judges and get sent off.

It has to be before. No way you get some of those people back in there.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:45 AM   #132
Ksyrup

Probably. It's most likely billed as their "pre-audition" before the producers to make sure they're talented enough to go before the judges.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #133
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Great. Just saw an article where Rosie O'Donnell opened her yap about the cruelty of the judges. I certainly think that the judges didn't need to attack some of the people about their physical appearance, but isn't it about time that someone put a muzzle on this woman to save her from herself? A job on The View doesn't mean that she suddenly is promoted to 'the conscience of America'.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #134
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Great. Just saw an article where Rosie O'Donnell opened her yap about the cruelty of the judges. I certainly think that the judges didn't need to attack some of the people about their physical appearance, but isn't it about time that someone put a muzzle on this woman to save her from herself? A job on The View doesn't mean that she suddenly is promoted to 'the conscience of America'.

monkey girl
Old 01-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #135
Ksyrup

I have hated Rosie since before she was popular. They used to air her stand-up comedy routines on VH1 and she was terribly unfunny. America got it right with its rejection of Margaret Cho, but somehow this fat, unfunny, annoying bitch not only made it through, but is thriving. It's sickening.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:00 AM   #136
MJ4H
Coordinator

Didn't I just see Margaret Cho in a preview for some new sitcom the other day? Guh.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #137
Ksyrup

Yeah, that Brad Garrett vehicle. Man I hate commercials.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #138
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
monkey girl

Yeah, the irony that she's involved in a spat where Trump called her fat several times over without ever actually saying the word 'fat' is not lost on me.

Trump's comments regarding Rosie's Idol comments: "Rosie shoudn't be critical of Simon. She shouldn't be critical of anyone. Rosie is a comeplete mess."
Old 01-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #139
Ksyrup

From MJ's AI blog:

Reality TV Magazine has started playing the Domain name game. Last year, the producers registered all 44 or so semi-finalists on the same day, December 9, after Hollywood Week. All it took was a Whois search to figure out the identities of all the finalists.

This year the producers got smart. It appears that they registered the Top 40 through private domain registrations. Reality TV Magazine has performed whois searches on all the contestants featured so far on Idol. They found that Anna Kearns, Sanjaya Malakar, and Shyamali Malakar all had their names registered as domain names on November 18, 2006, the day after the Hollywood rounds ended. All were registered by Domains by Proxy–a service that hides the identity of the entity registering the domain names.

There are rumors that Anna and Sanjaya have made the Top 40. I expect that, since this can of worms has been opened, there will be more to come…

BTW, there are rumors that the Top 24 have not been chosen yet as I previously reported. I can’t substantiate that rumor at this time.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #140
Ksyrup

More good stuff:

Meanwhile, Steven “Red” Thoen and his Mom are also angry over Steven’s portrayal:
Steven Thoen, 28, said the Fox television show’s producers were disrespectful and unfair to him. His mother, June Lorimor of Superior, said that the show took advantage of Thoen’s mild mental retardation and made him a laughingstock.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #141
Ksyrup

First Idol Scandal of the Season
And, that didn’t take long, did it peeps? TMZ.com has dug up the arrest record of Seattle auditioner Thomas Daniels. According to TMZ, in in 2004, Thomas was convicted of DUI in Clackamas, OR, pled guilty and was sentenced to a one-year alcohol diversion program and a $680 fine. After the completing his DUI sentence, the incident was wiped from his record.

In December 2005, Thomas was arrested again–for hit and run. He failed to appear in court for the arraignment and was subsequently rearrested. Thomas says both incidents are the result of being “young and dumb”. It’s not clear whether Thomas disclosed his arrest record to Idol producers.

If he didn’t disclose his record to the producers, and managed to advance to the Top 24 on Monday (it’s possible, Thomas is a very good singer) I would say his Idol career is now toast.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #142
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
More good stuff:

Meanwhile, Steven “Red” Thoen and his Mom are also angry over Steven’s portrayal:
Steven Thoen, 28, said the Fox television show’s producers were disrespectful and unfair to him. His mother, June Lorimor of Superior, said that the show took advantage of Thoen’s mild mental retardation and made him a laughingstock.

This probably goes without saying, but...

Don't let him go audition then... It's very, very simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #143
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola - too bad about Thomas... I felt like he would have been a solid contestant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:04 AM   #144
Ksyrup

I'm not sure whether the subtitle for this should be "It's the End of the World As We Know It" or "They Got the Last Laugh"...

In a sign of Idol’s pop-cultural influence, auditioners Kenneth Briggs, 23, of Bothell, Wash. — whom Cowell derided as looking like a “bush baby,” an African primate — and friend Jonathan Jayne, 21, of Renton, Wash., appeared Friday on ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live. “They’ve become celebrities. They wouldn’t have changed anything,” Cowell said.

Meanwhile, both Jonathan and his friend Kenneth “Bush Baby” Briggs were on the Today Show this morning. Apparently, they both have secured agents

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-23-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:06 AM   #145
Ksyrup

Interesting article at votefortheworst.com about the audition process, including those end-of-episode montages and the cut-and-splice way they manipulate the auditions for TV:

hxxp://www.votefortheworst.com/node/33

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-23-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #146
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Holy Crap. The guy from georgia whose wife just left him is Izulde
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #147
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not sure whether the subtitle for this should be "It's the End of the World As We Know It" or "They Got the Last Laugh"...

I vote for the former.

Since you are in the know, how many months did the producers have to put last week's show together? After seeing all of the clips on YouTube, most of it was purposely planned - allowing the gong show contestants to go forward. I wonder if they are calling this the Hung Factor?

I agree with many of the comments here and on the idol board regarding the cluelessness and lack of reality checks. But they know that it sells and that they can get hundreds more just like them, hoping to cash in on the Hung Factor.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:47 PM   #148
MJ4H
Coordinator

The two things I've enjoyed the most so far tonight have been:

1: the girl who was an opera singer.
2: the guy in the Alvin the chipmunk shirt and hat (I have GOT to get that outfit).

I am, however, about 20 minutes behind the real broadcast on my DVR.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 AM   #149
Ksyrup

I missed the first hour last night, because I went by the TV listings that showed it as an hour episode starting at 9. But I did see Beauty and the Geek at 8 anyway, and it looked like last night was more of the same formula, so I probably didn't miss much.

And yeah, on the opera singer...holy crap. I can only recall 2 moments where I've been excited about a contestant's choice of song - when Bo Bice broke out Badlands, and the chick last night auditioning with a Jeff Buckley song. I don't know how long she'll last, but an opera singer with a unique look who appreciates (and knows!) Buckley gets a standing O from me.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 AM   #150
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I missed the first hour last night, because I went by the TV listings that showed it as an hour episode starting at 9. But I did see Beauty and the Geek at 8 anyway, and it looked like last night was more of the same formula, so I probably didn't miss much.

And yeah, on the opera singer...holy crap. I can only recall 2 moments where I've been excited about a contestant's choice of song - when Bo Bice broke out Badlands, and the chick last night auditioning with a Jeff Buckley song. I don't know how long she'll last, but an opera singer with a unique look who appreciates (and knows!) Buckley gets a standing O from me.

If you are talking about the young girl with braces, what a spoiled little bitch.