Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #251
MikeVic
Head Coach

dola,

Of course he could be back in Baltimore... but I guess that depends on money. If he wants too much, I don't know of a team that would want him as a starter right now?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #252
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Jamal Lewis waived by the Ravens:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2783192

Where do you think he'll end up?

Jail?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #253
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Vikings dump Brad Johnson
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #254
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Lovie Smith signs a 4 year extension.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #255
SFL Cat
College Starter

I hear the Dolphins will send Joey Harrington packing.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #256
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
dola,

Of course he could be back in Baltimore... but I guess that depends on money. If he wants too much, I don't know of a team that would want him as a starter right now?

I'd love to see him as a backup to Frank Gore in San Francisco. Makes sense when you think of Mike Nolan and that it would extend Gore's career (not to mention lessen durability testing of an RB with three ACL surgeries) by taking some of the carries off.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:46 AM   #257
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Nice FA reference link, with outstanding FAs per team as well as signings.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...gent+moves.htm
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:18 AM   #258
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Joey Porter is likely to be cut before his roster bonus is due to be paid on the 6th. Good luck to whomever pays for his overrated ass.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #259
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Brian Simmons was cut by the Bengals. I wonder if this means they're going to make a serious run at Adalius Thomas?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #260
QuikSand
lolzcat

Word around Balmer is that Jamal Lewis has little desire to go elsewhere, and that the team expects to re-sign him to a new, more cap-friendly deal, "past injustices" notwithstanding.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:14 AM   #261
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Nice FA reference link, with outstanding FAs per team as well as signings.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...gent+moves.htm
I glanced at this page to see who the Broncos FAs were, so I clicked on the "AFC West" link. Moments later, I learned something. Az Hakim was with San Diego?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #262
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Chargers put max offer on Mike Turner. Guess he's staying.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #263
Logan
Head Coach

Not necessarily. It's a way for the team to lock in what they could potentially get for him in a trade, but also gives the team who wants to sign him a chance to negotiate the compensation. Isn't this how the Falcons got Abraham for just the 1st rounder last year?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #264
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Not necessarily. It's a way for the team to lock in what they could potentially get for him in a trade, but also gives the team who wants to sign him a chance to negotiate the compensation. Isn't this how the Falcons got Abraham for just the 1st rounder last year?

Why would the Chargers negotiate down from a 1st and a 3rd, plus the other team spending 2.9 million on him?

I believe that Abraham was a straight-up trade, btw.
EDIT: Abraham was a franchise player, not a RFA.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 03-01-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #265
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Lovie just got paid.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #266
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Why would the Chargers negotiate down from a 1st and a 3rd, plus the other team spending 2.9 million on him?

I believe that Abraham was a straight-up trade, btw.
EDIT: Abraham was a franchise player, not a RFA.

You're right about Abraham..my mistake.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #267
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions have traded cornerback Dre Bly to the Broncos for Tatum Bell, right tackle George Foster, and a draft pick.

I like the deal. Bly was done here. He had some good moments as a Lions (that's saying a lot), but he was expensive and his attitude began to grate.

The Lions address a need for a back-up running back (because of Kevin Jones' foot), they get offensive lineman which they need, and an extra pick.

Not bad, especially for a guy everyone knew the Lions were just going to cut.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-01-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #268
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is Dre Bly that good?

I wonder who Shanahan will get to replace Bell.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #269
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Lions have traded cornerback Dre Bly to the Broncos for Tatum Bell, right tackle George Foster, and a draft pick.

I like the deal. Bly was done here. He had some good moments as a Lions (that's saying a lot), but he was expensive and his attitude began to grate.

The Lions address a need for a back-up running back (because of Kevin Jones' foot), they get offensive lineman which they need, and an extra pick.

Was just checking this out on ESPN.

So, as an outsider....does this mean they aren't looking at J Thomas in the draft? If the plan was to move Backus to RT with Thomas on the roster, is that no longer in the plans?

Makes TOTAL sense for Detroit to move done to a team who wants to be certain they get Thomas/Calvin Johnson/whoever, at #2.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #270
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Is Dre Bly that good?

Well, he's a two time Pro Bowler, but, no, I don't think he's that good. He is capable of making some amazing plays and definitely has a nose for the ball. He can make things happen at times, but not nearly frequently enough. He is very soft when it comes to stopping the run and is quite the gambler, so he gets burned every so often. He's a decent cover corner, but definitely didn't fit the Lions Cover 2 defense. That said, he's been the Lions best defensive back since he joined the team (though that's not saying much).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #271
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Was just checking this out on ESPN.

So, as an outsider....does this mean they aren't looking at J Thomas in the draft? If the plan was to move Backus to RT with Thomas on the roster, is that no longer in the plans?

Makes TOTAL sense for Detroit to move done to a team who wants to be certain they get Thomas/Calvin Johnson/whoever, at #2.

That's sort of what people are thinking. Apparently, for some unknown reason, the Lions' coaching staff/management thinks the offensive line isn't all that bad. Getting Foster does fill the need for a right tackle and gives the Lions some flexibility in the draft now.

The Lions would like to trade down and get either a defensive end like Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson or even trade back a bit further and pick up middle linebacker Patrick Willis. Both are huge areas of need for the team.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #272
RedKingGold
College Starter

HB, do you think the Lions will still look at Thomas with 2nd overall? Or perhaps try to trade down to someone who desperately wants Calvin?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #273
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
HB, do you think the Lions will still look at Thomas with 2nd overall? Or perhaps try to trade down to someone who desperately wants Calvin?

It's the Lions, so you never really know, and I have no idea how good this George Foster guy is, but, as noted above, this at least gives them some room to work with. If there is no good deal to be had to move down (which is entirely possible), the Lions will likely take Thomas or perhaps the best player available (Calvin Johnson?!?! . No. I don't think so.), but if the right deal comes along, they will move down and still feel comfrotable with their offensive line.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #274
RedKingGold
College Starter

If my memory serves correctly, Foster was a former first round pick a few years ago who started but struggled somewhat. So, at least he has/had first round talent. Maybe Marinelli can get something out of him.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #275
RedKingGold
College Starter

dola

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_...an_football%29
Old 03-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #276
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Is Dre Bly that good?

1) Bell was getting replaced anyway. Shanahan didn't think he was an every down back and was shopping him. He had some nice games and he was a quality player for the Broncos, but Shanny was never sold on him. If they hadn't traded for Cutler last year, they'd have drafted Maroney and Bell would have been shipped last season.

2) Foster never really fit the system. He was a first round pick, but he wasn't especially good as a zone blocker. He lost his starting job at the end of last year and nobody in Denver expected him to start this year.

Now that we've gone through that, we find the Broncos gave up two guys who probably wouldn't be with the team next year anyway for a #2 CB. Bailey and Bly should make a fairly solid starting pair of CB's. Bly is certainly better than what Williams was. (Williams had a future, but he was still raw and wasn't a great CB yet)

As a Broncos fan, I'm fairly happy with the trade.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #277
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I like the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Now that we've gone through that, we find the Broncos gave up two guys who probably wouldn't be with the team next year anyway for a #2 CB.

As a Broncos fan, I'm fairly happy with the trade.

Sounds like a "win-win" to me!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #278
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As a fan of both Detroit and Denver, I'm very happy with this deal.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #279
RedKingGold
College Starter

Steeler's OLB Joey Porter got cut.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #280
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

On his buttock?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #281
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

And Verron Haynes...not that anyone will notice.

I'd imagine a team using the 3-4 who has to reach for players will take a chance on him. Cleveland comes to mind immediately.

He is no longer an impact player in a spot that, in a 3-4 D, you need an impact player.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #282
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Joe Horn just got cut. Not too suprising as he was due a $1,000,000 roster bonus and (I think) a $4.5 million salary and had said that he would not take a pay cut.

He's a good candidate for some team to pick up with a short-term, low-salary, high-incentive deal. He could either spend next year in the training room, or he could have one more 1,200 yard season left in him. It's worth taking a chance as long as a team is not foolish enough to sink a large bonus into him.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #283
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola--

Horn's always been a quirky guy who seems to take professional things personally. I can see him, moreso than other players, using being cut as personal motivation and putting up really good numbers next season. Better than he would have put up for the Saints.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-01-2007 at 04:22 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #284
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
And Verron Haynes...not that anyone will notice.

With Whiz gone, and the "inside sidecar draw play on 3rd and long" presumedly heading with him, keeping Haynes around was no longer necessary.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #285
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-

Smith's contract structure.
1.6 bonus per year(8/5)
2007 $1,500,000
2008 $3,150,000
2009 $2,350,000
2010 $5,000,000
2011 $4,500,000

Looks like a 3 year 15 million dollar deal to me, moreso than a 5 year 25 million dollar one.

Last edited by stevew : 03-01-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #286
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

In other news, a buddy of mine and I went over the Cowboys draft. We decided it was one of the worst drafts ever. Not by the Cowboys, but by anyone.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #287
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
In other news, a buddy of mine and I went over the Cowboys draft. We decided it was one of the worst drafts ever. Not by the Cowboys, but by anyone.

You never know... Maybe the new staff can get Katzenmoyer on the field.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #288
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Bly is all about big plays, both good ones and bad ones. He'll pick one and go the other way for 6 points and then get burned deep for 6 the next series. I know the Patriots loved playing against him in SB 36. The TD to Patten in the corner of the endzone was put in place strictly for Bly (talked about in one of their SB DVDs). They knew he would bite when Patten ran his out route. Bly bit and Patten turned it up field into the corner for a TD.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 03-01-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #289
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
With Whiz gone, and the "inside sidecar draw play on 3rd and long" presumedly heading with him, keeping Haynes around was no longer necessary.

Oh, but thank God Najeh 'The Phantom Pooper' Davenport will return.
And the way the PG is presenting it, Haynes will continue to rehab at the Steelers facilities, and possibly be made an offer to come back later in the summer.

I don't think Davenport is the answer for a big back to complement Parker. He's big, nust not powerful.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:44 AM   #290
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
His nickname has always been Dookie.

Najeh 'Dookie' Davenport
Old 03-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #291
Ksyrup

Updated: March 2, 2007, 11:30 AM ET
Broncos near deal to send Plummer to Bucs

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

ESPN.com has learned that the Denver Broncos have reached agreement in principle on most of the elements of a trade that will send veteran quarterback Jake Plummer to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Under the terms being discussed, the Broncos would receive a middle-round draft choice, believed to be a fourth-rounder, in exchange for Plummer. The trade could be announced as early as Friday.

Tampa Bay re-signed Chris Simms to a two-year contract earlier this offseason. But with Simms coming off a 2006 season in which he underwent an emergency splenectomy, the Bucs have been shopping for a veteran quarterback to bolster the depth chart.

Veteran backup Tim Rattay became an unrestricted free agent on Friday and was not expected to return to Tampa Bay.

Plummer, 32, lost his starting job in Denver to rookie Jay Cutler late last season and the Broncos have been entertaining trade offers in the offseason. A 10-year veteran, Plummer has started 136 games in stints with Arizona (1997-2002) and Denver (2003-2006). He has completed 2,484 of 4,350 passes for 29,253 yards, with 161 touchdown passes and 161 interceptions, for a passer rating of 74.6.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-02-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #292
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
His nickname has always been Dookie.

Najeh 'Dookie' Davenport

The "Dump Truck"
Old 03-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #293
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola-

Supposedly the Pats have/are close to signing Adalis Thomas. Clements to the niners, and possibly Steinbach to the browns.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #294
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Looks like Plummer just screwed the Broncos...

I just saw on NFL Network that he decided to retire and the trade is now dead. $10 says he has a change of heart this summer.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #295
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Looks like Plummer just screwed the Broncos...

I just saw on NFL Network that he decided to retire and the trade is now dead. $10 says he has a change of heart this summer.

Good.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #296
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

From Bengals.com

Quote:
Eric Steinbach already has three visits lined up in free agency according to various published reports and one of the teams is eying him as a left tackle.

Steinbach, the Bengals Pro Bowl alternate left guard is visiting Cleveland Friday on the first day of free agency and Tampa Bay Saturday, according to reports from The Cleveland Plain-Dealer and PewterReport.com, respectively. He’s also headed to Seattle after the Bucs talk to him about playing left tackle.

Is Tampa really looking at a 290 lb. LT?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #297
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Thomas to the Patriots makes their defense pretty scary.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #298
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Thomas to the Patriots makes their defense pretty scary.

I'll be ecstatic if that goes through.

Edit to add: If they pony up for him, they need to pony up for Samuel, too. No nickel-and-diming this time around.

Last edited by gstelmack : 03-02-2007 at 12:17 PM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #299
Ksyrup

A few snippets from Rotoworld:

London Fletcher's deal with the Redskins should be done within a few hours.
Dan Snyder always gets his man. We'll have more when the deal comes down.

Redskins re-signed G Randy Thomas to a multi-year contract.
It's likely for a big number, as Thomas is a Pro Bowl quality lineman. This could indicate that Washington is less likely to re-sign G Derrick Dockery, a free agent. Washington was able to open up a lot of cap room by signing three of their own players to long-term deals Friday morning.

Both SI.com and NFL Network's Adam Shefter believe that the Patriots will make a major push for Adalius Thomas.
ESPN.com's John Clayton reported that Thomas was expected to visit with San Francisco, but that may have hit a snag. Shefter said in a radio interview Friday morning that the Patriots will make their push for Thomas in the next day or two.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #300
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
I think the real question is which one of these players will receive an extremely high value contract from Daniel Snyder.

My bets are on London Fletcher. He fits the bill of being that player in the declining portion of his career that the Skins will offer a $100 Million/16 year deal to.

Quote:
London Fletcher's deal with the Redskins should be done within a few hours.
Dan Snyder always gets his man. We'll have more when the deal comes down.

Wow, that was a big shocker.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote