Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #301
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Colts release Brandon Stokely and Montae Reagor.

Stokely was expected, Reagor I'm surprised at, maybe his car accident injuries were worse than I had thought.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #302
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions traded disgruntled defensive end James Hall to the Rams for a 5th rounder. James Hall led the Lions in sacks a few years. Apparently he had some sort of falling out with Millen and/or the coaching staff.

He's a good pick-up for the Rams and, since the Lions were going to cut him anyway, getting a 5th rounder isn't bad.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #303
kingfc22
Head Coach

Adalius Thomas and Nate Clement are both reportedly in Santa Clara talking with the Niners right now.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #304
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Jake Plummer retires? Did I hear that correctly? Just looked it up and he is threatening to retire rather than accept a trade.

edit: Just saw it on the previous page...so......nevermind.

Last edited by Oilers9911 : 03-02-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #305
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

There has been some speculation that Jake Plummer is threatening to retire because he wants to play for Gary Kubiak in Houston.

He could force the Broncos to release him. Houston was interested in Plummer, but they wouldn't give up a draft pick with Sage Rosenfels already on the roster. Plummer seems to want to avoid another QB controversy. The only way to do that is to retire.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #306
Travis
Pro Rookie

Cleveland, please give Clement a nice big juicy offer, and NE, step it up for Thomas. Definitely don't need both of those guys playing for SF next year.

Thanks, Seattle fans.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #307
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

heard someone on the radio (some NFL guy) saying that the Pats were basically the only team in the running for Adalius Thomas (yeah I misspelled it, so what) and that the SF interest was a mirage. Expects it to be done in 24-48 hours tops.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #308
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Thomas would be great for the Pats.

Did anyone else see that Atlanta just dumped Ed Hartwell? He was a big FA addition just 2 seasons ago. I wonder if he would like NE too, or is he all washed up?

As reported in another thread, Browns just signed Steinbach to a Steve Hutchinson deal +$500k.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 03-02-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #309
RedKingGold
College Starter

NFL Network (Adam Schefter) is reporting the 49er's sign CB Nate Clement to an 8-year 80 million dollar deal (22 million guaranteed)

He'll become the highest paid defensive player in NFL history.

Ummm...wow. While it is an improvement for my team, the sticker price is pretty shocking. However, he should upgrade the secondary somewhat and free up going offense with the 11th overall pick.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 03-02-2007 at 06:52 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #310
WVUFAN
College Starter

Anyone have a link to current cap space for the teams? I'm curious as to how much room the Pats have.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #311
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
NFL Network (Adam Schefter) is reporting the 49er's sign CB Nate Clement to an 8-year 80 million dollar deal (22 million guaranteed)

He'll become the highest paid defensive player in NFL history.

Ummm...wow. While it is an improvement for my team, the sticker price is pretty shocking. However, he should upgrade the secondary somewhat and free up going offense with the 11th overall pick.

Also safety Michael Lewis (Eagles) signed with the 49ers. Wow, big money for Clement...can't wait to see how the contract breaks down. Nice upgrade but they still need a couple WR, a NT and a pass rush. They are also pursuing Ravens free-agent nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, who is 6-1, 320 pounds.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #312
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Clements actual deal is more like 6 years 43.5 million reportedly. Not so bad in that case.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:09 PM   #313
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Did anyone else see that Atlanta just dumped Ed Hartwell? He was a big FA addition just 2 seasons ago. I wonder if he would like NE too, or is he all washed up?

Can't say whether he's washed up or not, he wasn't healthy enough to be on the field often enough to know.

Only played in 13 games in his two years in Atlanta while enjoying an $8m signing bonus plus whatever his salary figure was for the past two years (can't seem to find last year's figure, '05 was just $435k so it must have been heavily backloaded since it was $26.5m total)

Not bad pay for his 62 total tackles.

Meanwhile, the Falcons have just signed Baltimore FB Ovie Mughelli (am I the only person saying "who" ?) to the largest contract ever given to a pure fullback, 6 yrs/$18m with a $5m signing bonus.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-02-2007 at 08:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #314
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Anyone have a link to current cap space for the teams? I'm curious as to how much room the Pats have.

No link, but it is a lot. I think they are in the top 5 or so, and with the release of Dillon, that will be another 3-4 million savings. They can afford Thomas and then some.

John Tomase has just reported on the Boston Herald website that Thomas has preliminarily agreed to terms with the Pats. Those cheap bastards.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/pat...ticleid=186089

No contract terms yet.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 03-02-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #315
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

London Fletcher to the 'Skins as predicted. Apparently, it's a five-year, $25 million deal. It pays a $10.5 million signing bonus and pays out $12.5 million over the first two years. Seems a little much for that guy.

I'm still dying to know what Thomas is getting from the Pats. There's a good chance he'll get huge roster bonus up front that eats up serious cap room this season but makes it much more palatable in later years.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 03-02-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:06 PM   #316
Hoya1
High School JV

Clements will be as effective as Jonas Jennings was.

From a Bills fan. Over rated
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #317
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Supposedly Carr to the Browns is heating up. Something like the #3 pick for Carr, the #8 pick and 2 3rd rounders. I still think Carr is valued too highly in that scenerio....personally he's worth a 4th at best, that values him as a high 2nd rounder(in pick value terms).
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #318
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
London Fletcher to the 'Skins as predicted. Apparently, it's a five-year, $25 million deal. It pays a $10.5 million signing bonus and pays out $12.5 million over the first two years. Seems a little much for that guy.
See my prior post(#300). And the post(#24) I posted in early February.

Honestly, the guy should've just asked Daniel Snyder what numbers were available once he was declared a free agent.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 03-02-2007 at 09:23 PM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #319
Hoya1
High School JV

London Fletcher is another guy who put up nice tackle numbers, but is ineffective. He is not worth this money. His only effective years were when he had Pat Williams and Sam Adams in front of him. So many times last year he got blown up by guards and fullbacks, I almost felt sorry for him.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #320
Hoya1
High School JV

Expect to see Takeo Spikes get traded or released as well. Don't be surprised to see him end up in Washington with his good buddy London.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #322
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1 View Post
Expect to see Takeo Spikes get traded or released as well. Don't be surprised to see him end up in Washington with his good buddy London.

Rumors are he'd like to come back to the Bengals.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #323
Hoya1
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Considering you guys broke the bank for Derrick "False Start" Dockery, we win. You got the worst starting OG in the NFL for Hutchinson money.

I don't get that signing either. Especially when they said they weren't going to sign guys to big signing bonus deals. Marv Levy's "Cash to the cap" should soon be spent, despite still having a cool $25mil to spend
Old 03-03-2007, 02:43 AM   #324
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

As already stated, I just don't understand this kind of money for interior lineman. It's just crazy.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:49 AM   #325
kingfc22
Head Coach

I would love to see the Niners trade a package of picks to move up and draft Calvin Johnson.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #326
bhlloy
Coordinator

OK, so the Bucs trade for Plummer and sign Garcia to a two year deal. Not sure that four questionable quarterbacks add up to one decent starter, but in their defense there is no other way they are going to get somebody better this year.

Any thoughts on who comes out of this mess as the starter? I'd say Garcia because Simms and Gradkowski don't really have the talent and Plummer doesn't really want to be there.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #327
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - interior line is a funny position. You absolutely cannot win without an above average group, but spending huge amounts of money on a star player doesn't seem to work either.

My initial thought is that it is much better to spend a million and a half each on decent players at all three positions than to drop 4 or 5 million on one quality guard. To me a large part of the Vikings problems last year in the games that I watched were that teams could just key off the left side of their line, and in the running game pretty much off wherever Hutchinson went.

But do you even need to spend the million and a half in free agency at all? The Patriots seem to be a pretty good example of being able to pick up a couple of road graders in every draft and turn them into decent starters with good coaching, if you don't ask them to do too much. I don't know if this is just my perception or not though.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:01 PM   #328
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Any thoughts on who comes out of this mess as the starter? I'd say Garcia because Simms and Gradkowski don't really have the talent and Plummer doesn't really want to be there.

By "mess," do you imply their line?

I think Denver & Tampa just called a bluff. The pick is likely conditional, meaning that if he never puts on pewter, Tampa loses nothing. If he does, then they just lose games...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #329
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://sports.myway.com/news/03032007/v2961.html

Mar 3, 3:52 PM (ET)

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -Linebacker Adalius Thomas, one of the most sought-after free agents, signed Saturday with the New England Patriots, giving the three-time Super Bowl winners a player in the mold of the departed Willie McGinest.

The 29-year-old Pro Bowler, one of the keys to the Baltimore defense last season, can play several positions, including outside linebacker and defensive end - as McGinest did until he left last season for Cleveland.

The Patriots also announced the signings of two other veterans: tight end Kyle Brady and running back Sammy Morris.

"Personally and professionally, we are very impressed with Adalius Thomas," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "His playmaking, toughness, intelligence, versatility and character were all factors in our decision to pursue him. Adalius has contributed in many ways to some excellent defensive units and we look forward to getting to work with him."

Brady, 35, played four seasons with the New York Jets and eight with Jacksonville. He has played in 183 games and caught 334 passes for 3,449 yards and 23 touchdowns.

Morris is a seven-year veteran who has played for both Buffalo and Miami.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #330
st.cronin
General Manager

You can never have too many tight ends.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #331
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Or too many Bradies.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #332
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Things going well for Pats. Added the starting 3-4 LB they needed; added the depth at TE (they now have 3 good ones again); added the backup RB they needed with Dillon leaving at half the price.

Now, just a WR and DB. And word is that the Pats are poised to make an offer to restricted free agent Dolphin Wes Welker. They would have to give up a 2nd rounder if Miami doesn't match. Of course, the new poison pill theory (e.g. fully guarantee salary if he plays more than 3 games in Miami) usually prevents a match nowadays.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #333
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Things going well for Pats. Added the starting 3-4 LB they needed; added the depth at TE (they now have 3 good ones again); added the backup RB they needed with Dillon leaving at half the price.

Now, just a WR and DB. And word is that the Pats are poised to make an offer to restricted free agent Dolphin Wes Welker. They would have to give up a 2nd rounder if Miami doesn't match. Of course, the new poison pill theory (e.g. fully guarantee salary if he plays more than 3 games in Miami) usually prevents a match nowadays.

ooooooooooooooooooo

knives out
Old 03-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #334
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
You can never have too many tight ends.

I'd imagine Brady is a Daniel Graham replacement (Graham leaving via FA).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #335
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
ooooooooooooooooooo

Yes, I thought the same. Kind of like why would you give a 2nd rounder for him?

But after reading some, he did have almost 70 catches last season, is quick, terrorized the Pats last season, is young and on the rise. I wouldn't say he is the answer yet for the #1 we are yearning for, but he would improve the receiving corps that's for sure.

I'm still thinking we'll trade for a pretty good vet #1 WR and then draft a rookie WR in 1st or 2nd rounder. That ought to take care of it.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #336
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'd imagine Brady is a Daniel Graham replacement (Graham leaving via FA).

He's also a good enough blocker that he can play tackle too (he has wanted to play tackle the last couple years, if I am correct.)
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #337
gstelmack
Pro Starter

As a Pats fan, all I have to say is:

(in best Monty Burns voice) Excellent...
Old 03-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #338
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Damn excited about Thomas. That's one hell of a signing. I also think Wes Welker would be a good fit. He's everything Chris Chambers isn't.

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #339
Bad-example
College Starter

Ashley Lelie agrees to terms with the 49ers. Pending a physical, the deal is reportedly a two-year, $4.3 million contract with a $2 million signing bonus and $3.2 million in the first year. With incentives, the deal can max out at $6 million over the two years.

The Niners really needed a veteran WR badly with Antonio Bryant's departure. Lelie didn't light up the league last year but he still should help.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #340
Logan
Head Coach

For that money, I'm fine with it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #341
st.cronin
General Manager

I fully expect a thread to emerge soon, with half the posters asserting that if Lelie couldn't put up big numbers playing with Michael Vick, there's no chance he'll do anything with San Francisco; and the other posters saying that Lelie is a fine receiver, he just needs a qb that can get him the ball, and that he's a good pickup for the 49ers.

knives out
Old 03-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #342
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I will reiterate one thing I said earlier: as a Patriots fan, I'm ecstatic, as long as they also pay up for Samuel. Their secondary is thin as it is...
Old 03-04-2007, 04:23 AM   #343
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I will reiterate one thing I said earlier: as a Patriots fan, I'm ecstatic, as long as they also pay up for Samuel. Their secondary is thin as it is...

They already have -- to the tune of 7.8 million this year.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:34 AM   #344
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Adam Schefter is reporting that Thomas' deal with the Pats is five years for $37.5 million,with $24M coming in the first three years. This is not bad at all for the Pats. Seems to be similar to Nate Clements deal without the funny money.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #345
AlexB
Pro Starter

NFL.com reporting the Wes Welker offer sheet from the Pats is for 7 years, $38.5m

I'll be sorry to see Welker go, but there's no way he's worth that much
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:46 AM   #346
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
OK, so the Bucs trade for Plummer and sign Garcia to a two year deal. Not sure that four questionable quarterbacks add up to one decent starter, but in their defense there is no other way they are going to get somebody better this year.

This is about as good as it gets for the Bucs this year, I agree with that much.

The bottom line is that Gruden knows if he doesn't turn this team around right now, he won't have his contract re-newed.

If he had plenty of time, I seriously doubt this happens. I think the odd man out will be Chris Simms (fingers crossed), unless Jake the Snake quits the team after Garcia beats him out.

Jeff Garcia should be the odds on favorite to start; Jake the Snake should back him up; and Gradkowski will stick around due to the cheap contract.

I think everybody in Tampa is pissed at Chris Simms for last years horrendous start. Spleen removal operation aside, the guy is just too fragile for NFL QB duties (despite his mental toughness).

All in all, I love the moves. But again, I agree that the impact may be minimal. What these quarterbacks buy the Bucs is a chance to take the focus off of Cadillac Williams. Hopefully, anyway.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #347
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I don't believe Jake Plummer will ever see the field, let alone the locker room for the Bucs. He'll holdout (threatening retirement) and force a trade to Houston or somewhere else. That's just my opinion though.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #348
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
NFL.com reporting the Wes Welker offer sheet from the Pats is for 7 years, $38.5m

Yep. My guess is that with a poison pill, Miami would be on the hook for it all guaranteed (which they should take a pass on) if they matched. However, for the Pats, it is likely very backloaded so that the Pats pay a fraction of that in the first 2-3 seasons.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #349
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post

Must be an insanely back loaded offer sheet, similar to what Nate Burelson got from Seattle (to leave Minnesota) last season. Didn't he get something like $49M over 7 seasons?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #350
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

http://www.realgmfootball.com/

Those are both good links to the salary caps for teams afew weeks a go. The pats are pretty much done with their FA signings with something like 25 million spent for this year cap wise. But I got to say as a non-Pats fan they have doen an excellent job and have really put themselves in the driver seat next year. They also have 2 first round draft picks this this year

As for my team the Titans I am f@#$ing pissed about that the Titans were 1st or 2nd in cap space with 40 million and tons of holes especially on Defense and have done nothing. I know it is only day three but other teams are quickly snapping up the best players and even most of the quality leftovers are setting up visits with no one visiting Tenn. The Titans new GM Mike Reinfeldt has said they are not looking to talk with anyone at this time and are monitoring the market for the time being taking a wait and see approach
To make matters worse we have lost our #1 WR Bennett, to the Rams, #1 RB to Denver (most likely), other holes at MLB, #3 WR, DE,DT,FS,CB and maybe PACman is gone meaning a second CB position. We only have 3 picks in the first 3 rounds so nothing outstanding. It great to be cautious but it seems most teams were well prepared for the start of free agency thant he Titans.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote