Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #301
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another set of impressions. Appears to like it overall, but there was another mention of numerous fumbles.

http://sportsgamer.blogspot.com/2007...-thoughts.html
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #302
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Graphics running at 30 or 60 FPS have never been the issue with EA games. They've always looked nice. They've just had the problem that unbelievably stupid bugs continue to appear each and every year. Getting excited over a demo in a EA game is never a good idea. Consider that the demo is a paired-down version of the game. If it's having technical issues without some features in the demo version, well......we'll just see.

1) We get it. We know EA games have other issues than frame rates. That's obvious.

2) The frame rates make a difference. I'm not sure why that's hard to comprehend. We knew it would make a difference even before the release and after playing the demo, there is a noticeable difference to me and many others who have played it. That's an issue for a PS3 owner. Forget all of the other issues with the game, the game at 1/2 the framerate of the other system is an issue if you own a PS3. Especially if you have a friend who has a 360 and you play both versions. I'm not sure how noticeable it is to other people, but I htink the drop is signifigant.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #303
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
1) We get it. We know EA games have other issues than frame rates. That's obvious.

Good deal. Sounds like we're on the same page them. I don't care about the frame rate if the game still has flaws. There were several posts earlier in this thread mentioning that EA would get their money even if the games were so-so simply because there is no other option for college football. I don't buy that logic at all. They have to put out a game that actually is worth my $60 before I actually spend it.

Point me to the last EA sports game thread where the impressions actually improved over the course of time. It's been quite awhile. Until it happens again, count me as sceptical.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #304
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Maybe I didn't read closely enough earlier in the thread, but I thought the fumble issue was that there weren't enough fumbles. So are there too many or too few?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #305
TroyF
Coordinator

Two schools of thought and both are equally right:

1) I'm not paying $60 for a buggy game that should be better. Screw (insert gamemaker here), I'm not buying their garbage.

I've taken this opinion with older versions of OOTP. (although I'm really enjoying 7) There isn't anything wrong with this opinion. I can see why people have it and have had it myself in the past.

2) OK, the game is buggy in parts, but with slider tweaks it's playable. I still have fun playing it and it is the only option out there. At the end of the day, I'll get my $60 worth of gameplay out of it, even if I wish it could be better.

I think this is the attitude most people take with an NCAA/Madden game. Simply put, there is no alternative for a graphical dynasty game. It's Madden and NCAA. There have been years the game has been a complete and total disaster. But most years EA gets it good enough to make it enjoyable for all but the die hard sports gamers.

I know I'll be frustrated by something in the game within a week of purchase. I also know I'll play the game 25-35 hours at a minimum, have some online games with friends and get more than enough enjoyment out of the overall game to make it worth my money.

If a gamer gets that, there is nothing wrong with it. I believe Mizzou plays ESPN 2K7 baseball on the 360. That thing is damned near unplayable for me but he was able to overlook the flaws and get his money worth out of it. Good for him. And good for us who will get it out of NCAA.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #306
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Maybe I didn't read closely enough earlier in the thread, but I thought the fumble issue was that there weren't enough fumbles. So are there too many or too few?

Too Many.

Hopefully its a lower level thing because there is no fumble sliders to adjust.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #307
Logan
Head Coach

Honestly, it could be buggy as hell and I'll still play a 5 year dynasty at the minimum with Rutgers. I don't crave the perfect realism that I used to when I was younger, probably because I'm happy enough to be just relaxing in front of the TV with a video game instead of working or doing something else that's stressful. My $60 will be well-spent for these reasons. Hell, I'm working in NYC this week and I'll easily spend $60 on morning coffee, lunch, and afternoon coffee.

edit: That's not to say that people don't have the right to be mad or choose to not spend their money on a game for a "roster update" or if the little annoying bugs are enough to turn you off. Personally, I can deal with all bugs short of "I step back to pass and the ball magically shifts into the hands of a defender."

Last edited by Logan : 07-11-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #308
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Two schools of thought and both are equally right:

1) I'm not paying $60 for a buggy game that should be better. Screw (insert gamemaker here), I'm not buying their garbage.

I've taken this opinion with older versions of OOTP. (although I'm really enjoying 7) There isn't anything wrong with this opinion. I can see why people have it and have had it myself in the past.

2) OK, the game is buggy in parts, but with slider tweaks it's playable. I still have fun playing it and it is the only option out there. At the end of the day, I'll get my $60 worth of gameplay out of it, even if I wish it could be better.

I think this is the attitude most people take with an NCAA/Madden game. Simply put, there is no alternative for a graphical dynasty game. It's Madden and NCAA. There have been years the game has been a complete and total disaster. But most years EA gets it good enough to make it enjoyable for all but the die hard sports gamers.

I know I'll be frustrated by something in the game within a week of purchase. I also know I'll play the game 25-35 hours at a minimum, have some online games with friends and get more than enough enjoyment out of the overall game to make it worth my money.

If a gamer gets that, there is nothing wrong with it. I believe Mizzou plays ESPN 2K7 baseball on the 360. That thing is damned near unplayable for me but he was able to overlook the flaws and get his money worth out of it. Good for him. And good for us who will get it out of NCAA.

Actually, MizzouRah is the one who likes the 2K7 game. I currenly play the PS3 version of The Show. We both wear black and gold to work every day, so I can see how you were confused.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #309
Anthony
Banned

i guess it's me, but i'm a bit underwhelmed by the graphics and i don't notice or can't tell what 60 FPS looks like. guess i have to see 30 FPS to see the difference. i'm still excited to get the game though. looks real deep and seems like it'll provide quite a few hours of gameplay out of it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #310
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Honestly, it could be buggy as hell and I'll still play a 5 year dynasty at the minimum with Rutgers. I don't crave the perfect realism that I used to when I was younger, probably because I'm happy enough to be just relaxing in front of the TV with a video game instead of working or doing something else that's stressful. My $60 will be well-spent for these reasons. Hell, I'm working in NYC this week and I'll easily spend $60 on morning coffee, lunch, and afternoon coffee.

I'm actually a tester by occupation, so problems in a program stick out like a sore thumb to me when compared to most gamers. I look for those kinds of bugs on a daily basis.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #311
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I haven't seen too many. You just have to cover up when there are 50 guys surrounding you.

While the game isn't perfect, some of the crap you hear on the other boards is hilarious. People complaining about the sidelines - "the players are fat - they just stand there", or aesthetics - "are there players with long hair?!" - if those are the issues you have, SHUT UP. My goodness, by far the most important thing is GAMEPLAY.

It's not NCAA Fashion Show 2008.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #312
Logan
Head Coach

Exactly...to each his own. Minor stuff totally would've bothered me as a 15 year old playing NCAA 98 or whatever, but it's just not a concern to me anymore (and just for clarity I'll say that my reference is in no way to indicate anyone is being immature by being bothered by such things).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #313
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I haven't seen too many. You just have to cover up when there are 50 guys surrounding you.

While the game isn't perfect, some of the crap you hear on the other boards is hilarious. People complaining about the sidelines - "the players are fat - they just stand there", or aesthetics - "are there players with long hair?!" - if those are the issues you have, SHUT UP. My goodness, by far the most important thing is GAMEPLAY.

Beside Gameplay, also important is the sim engine especially for Dynasty mode.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #314
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Totally agree with this. I really wish the developers would use relatively minimal textures/polygons on the crowd and sidelines so that the on-field play was the best it could be and was the focus of the game's processing power. I'll take a terrible crowd look and great on-field gameplay anyday.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #315
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Totally agree with this. I really wish the developers would use relatively minimal textures/polygons on the crowd and sidelines so that the on-field play was the best it could be and was the focus of the game's processing power. I'll take a terrible crowd look and great on-field gameplay anyday.

But people always bitch that there are no sideline animations. They cry about it year after year.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #316
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

My one beef on this was that on some shots, it looked as if USC's helmets didn't even have the Trojan on it for the guys on the sideline. That's bad.

Last edited by rowech : 07-11-2007 at 10:11 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #317
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I agree. I know a couple of games added those fan reaction shots during the game. It was kind of cool the first few times, but the number of fan reactions shots were so limited that it grew old very quickly.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #318
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually, MizzouRah is the one who likes the 2K7 game. I currenly play the PS3 version of The Show. We both wear black and gold to work every day, so I can see how you were confused.

I knew which Mizzou I meant. It was Rah. We have to many damned Mizzou's on the board.

Don't think I would assume you'd buy a 360 for MLB2K7
Old 07-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #319
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Too many fumbles is the complaint. Most of them coming from Hart on Michigan. Shrug, some people see huge numbers, others say that if they use the cover button they are seeing realistic numbers.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #320
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Too many fumbles is the complaint. Most of them coming from Hart on Michigan. Shrug, some people see huge numbers, others say that if they use the cover button they are seeing realistic numbers.

He never fumbles! I sense an anti-Michigan conspiracy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #321
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I guess we'll just need to use the cover button this year. I know that the real Mike Hart never loses a fumble, but that's got to be because he works extra hard to hold on to the football. I suppose this is EA's way of making us work a little harder to hold the ball. I haven't played the demo, but I hope it turns out to be OK.

Now, it would be pretty bizarre if, in the full game, only Mike Hart fumbled the ball too much. Imagine if all the other running backs were fine. That would be a legendary blunder by EA Sports.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #322
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hart fumbled a lot for me, and, oddly enough, I had much better luck running with his backup, #24. And I'm not sure if I was using the correct button to protect the ball. Isn't it the right shoulder button?

Last edited by Kodos : 07-11-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #323
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess we'll just need to use the cover button this year. I know that the real Mike Hart never loses a fumble, but that's got to be because he works extra hard to hold on to the football. I suppose this is EA's way of making us work a little harder to hold the ball. I haven't played the demo, but I hope it turns out to be OK.

Now, it would be pretty bizarre if, in the full game, only Mike Hart fumbled the ball too much. Imagine if all the other running backs were fine. That would be a legendary blunder by EA Sports.

Cover button might help human players to fumble less, but its not going to help the AI from fumbling if they don't use it.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #324
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
Cover button might help human players to fumble less, but its not going to help the AI from fumbling if they don't use it.
That's a good point. So I guess I wonder if any of the complaints involve Hart fumbling too much when the CPU is Michigan. Has anybody read anything on that?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #325
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I haven't had a RB fumble, but each QB did fumble the first time they were hit.

I like how the QBs will pull the ball back if there is a lot of pressure. In years past you could wait until the last possible second to throw.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #326
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
That's a good point. So I guess I wonder if any of the complaints involve Hart fumbling too much when the CPU is Michigan. Has anybody read anything on that?

Just not seeing it. I've played two games as USC and Hart didn't fumble a single time.

I've had him fumble one time with me as Michigan. (about 4 or 5 games) I haven't used the cover button once.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #327
CraigSca
Pro Starter

jb, are you seeing this yourself or just harping on what you've read others say?

I personally haven't seen it.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #328
Anthony
Banned

i played 2 games. i only had one fumble with Michigan, and it was a realistic scenario for the ball to have been fumbled (running into a crowd of defenders rather than away from it). i had a lot of INTS though, but i'll chalk it up to the difficulty level not being high enough. the game played nice though, should be lots of fun. playbook over the instant replay is stupid and i agree the AI takes snapshots/pics of some non-interesting things.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #329
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's weird, because NCAA 07 was unplayable for me because of the 30 fps and lack of control I felt, but NHL 07 at 30 fps, although still has some lack of control issues, is fine as far as gameplay is concerned. (although NHL 2k7 is MUCH better control wise at 60 fps.

Played the demo and the control is back! It's going to be interesting to read reviews of the 360 version vs the ps3 version.

I hated the playcalling screen at first, but I'm liking it more and more now as I get used to it. Haven't seen many fumbles yet.. passing seems great imho - too many times college qb's seem like NFL qb's in NCAA, not this time. Short passes are the way to go with an occasional bomb thrown in.

I think the game is on varsity, so I'm interested to see how the AI plays on higher levels. With the gameplay and new recruiting, I think I'll be happy this year. (it is annoying to see slowdowns at times.. it doesn't affect the game, but I'm not sure why we are still seeing slowdowns in next gen games.. maybe when they put the games on HD in the future, those will go away?)

Feels like college... plays like college and the control is like night and day vs last years game.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #330
DanGarion
Coordinator

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U3uoAKBI9o

Ncaa Football commercial.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #331
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX2LjWPELXo&NR=1\
adrian peterson's one. Apparently they're going with "What could have been"
Old 07-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #332
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I just saw an Adrian Peterson one, with a Longhorns fan gang-tackling him on every play.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #333
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

With the Boise State play now in the game, is the Wrong Ball Play in there, too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ynnn...elated&search=
Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #334
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Fairdale Kings has posted on OS that he will have the game early tomorrow and that he should have 360 rosters ready for the official release day next Tuesday
Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 AM   #335
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Awesome!!!

Stupid EA has disappointed me with every football game for years, and I may be a sucker and buy this one because of all of the improvements. Could I just enjoy myself playing various forms of the Campus Legend mode? Or trying to build a monster out of a crappy team? I wanna be Ohio State but I think the way NCAA Football has been in the past won't allow me to do a dynasty with them, but we'll see.

Will probably search for an early copy on my day off, even though I'm still playing the hell out of College Hoops 2k7...
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #336
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I downloaded the demo and played through most of the first quarter (the quarters are only two minutes long in the demo). On my first carry with Mike Hart, I fumbled, and USC returned it for a touchdown. On the next possession, my QB - Chad Henne, I guess - got sacked and fumbled, but he recovered it himself. I don't think I'd ever seen a player recover his own fumble in one of these video games before, so that was cool.

Anyway, I'm not alarmed about the fumble from Hart, but I've got to admit that I was surprised.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:26 AM   #337
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

After hearing about all the fumbles people were having with Mike Hart I decided to do a bit of research.

Quote:
In his career, Hart has rushed for 3,679 yards, which ranks sixth in school history. His 27 career rushing touchdowns are ninth-best in Michigan annals. Hart has lost a fumble only one time, against Iowa on September 25, 2004, in 750 collegiate carries.

Glad they added realism to this one.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:36 AM   #338
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
After hearing about all the fumbles people were having with Mike Hart I decided to do a bit of research.

The demo plays like it's on the "varsity" level which could equate the fumbles issue. Again, I've played 4 games and don't see the issue so far.

We'll see what the retail version is like.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #339
Phototropic
Mascot

Additionally I seem to remember early builds reporting higher than expected fumbles, so perhaps they were apart of the demo as well. I'm not sure at what part of development they start working on the demo.

I certainly can't imagine them releasing a game with this many fumbles.

Last edited by Phototropic : 07-12-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #340
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I wonder how many times Mike Hart has fumbled in his college career. I know that he's only lost one fumble, but how many fumbles has his own team recovered? I'm not trying to justify all the fumbles that people find in the video game. I'm just curious.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #341
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, the two guys who are confirmed to have the game on OS report a lower number of fumbles that is more realistic. One of them also says the game plays better than the demo and doesn't have the noticable pause between plays. I'm finally checking out the demo tonight. I can't wait to play the retail version on Tuesday.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 AM   #342
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

This thread is really tempting me to buy XBox 360 instead of just playing it another year on PS2.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #343
jbmagic
Pro Starter

The game doesn't know names, just ratings. I wonder what Mike Hart rating is in the game.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #344
Ksyrup

Does anyone have any info on the final changes to the PS2 version? I've done some searching and haven't seen anything, but if any of you have come across something, please post it here. Thanks.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #345
Phototropic
Mascot

Quote:
One of them also says the game plays better than the demo and doesn't have the noticable pause between plays.
That sounds great. I've noticed some of the pausing seems to result from displaying the button control mapping that they've liked to use all the time the last 2 years. We can probably disable that by changing the control scheme slightly like last year.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #346
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Does anyone have any info on the final changes to the PS2 version? I've done some searching and haven't seen anything, but if any of you have come across something, please post it here. Thanks.

I've been keeping an eye out as I know you are interested, but I've seen very little info. Most people say it is 2007.5 with few changes. The biggest changes appear to be auto motion, a new QB evade move, and it seems the recruiting has changed to using hours, but is not significantly different from last year.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #347
Ksyrup

Quote:
I've been keeping an eye out as I know you are interested, but I've seen very little info. Most people say it is 2007.5 with few changes. The biggest changes appear to be auto motion, a new QB evade move, and it seems the recruiting has changed to using hours, but is not significantly different from last year.

Thanks. Do you know whether the PS2 will have the in-game sim option? If the other changes aren't a big deal and they haven't screwed up the 2007 gameplay, I may get it just for the sim option. If not, I may just pass and play the 2007 version this year.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #348
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Conflicting information re: Supersim in different threads, but most people seem to say it is in the PS2 and Xbox versions. Here is the most detailed impressions I've seen of the PS2 version on OS (you need to register over there to view it):

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=209792
Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #349
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Example A of why I sim through 5 seasons and get a completely fictional universe. I don't trust EA to get one team right, much less 110 teams worth of players. No thanks.

Just sim, sim away and start playing with a fictional roster for me.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #350
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
This thread is really tempting me to buy XBox 360 instead of just playing it another year on PS2.

DO it! Buy the 360! I dare you!