Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #201
Fouts
College Starter

Great outing for Russ Ortiz today. Bochy almost pulled him before Duffy's at bat (118 pitches), but he left him in to get the CG and Duffy took him deep. Still good to see the old Russ throwing for the Giants.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:55 PM   #202
kingfc22
Head Coach

Giants scored runs. Yay!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:50 PM   #203
JeeberD
General Manager

Oh my goodness, the Astros created some offense! Carlos Lee with three jacks, woohoo!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:06 AM   #204
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Giants scored runs. Yay!

I'm preserving this, because I get the feeling we're going to be able to bump this about 3 times this season.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:34 AM   #205
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Oh my goodness, the Astros created some offense! Carlos Lee with three jacks, woohoo!!!

I drafted Lee and Berkman this year in fantasy baseball and man had I been disappointned until last night. What's going on with Berkman though?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #206
JeeberD
General Manager

Berk will get his, don't you worry...

Old 04-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #207
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Berk will get his, don't you worry...

I'm holding you to that. So far my stars haven't been playing up to par. He, Harang, and Webb just haven't been producing too well.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #208
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Was this on the road or that little league park in Houston?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:37 PM   #209
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Nationals are look good in preseason.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #210
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Was this on the road or that little league park in Houston?

On the road, punk...

Old 04-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #211
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On the road, punk...

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:37 AM   #212
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's funny how we all thought the Dodgers got a steal when they signed Jason Schmidt. Instead, we should have been wondering if the Giants knew something and were staying away from him. From Olney's blog:

• A scout who watched Jason Schmidt the other night: "He had nothing on the ball early. Eighty-one, 82 miles per hour. He kind of loosened up and got up to 85-86, but he really had nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up on the disabled list."

Said another talent evaluator: "You don't go from throwing 94-95 mph to 84-85 without having some kind of an issue."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-16-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:15 AM   #213
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It's funny how we all thought the Dodgers got a steal when they signed Jason Schmidt. Instead, we should have been wondering if the Giants knew something and were staying away from him. From Olney's blog:

The same person that warned them about Schmidt should have also told them that Zito is nowhere near the same pitcher he used to be also.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #214
Ksyrup

No kidding. Although in their defense, maybe they thought they'd get a couple of decent years out of Zito (specifically, one very good one to coincide with what is probably Barry's last very good season), whereas with Schmidt, they had serious concerns whether he'd be able to contribute anything starting in 2007.

Nah, I can't defend the Zito signing. I understand it, but I can't defend it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #215
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Nah, I can't defend the Zito signing. I understand it, but I can't defend it.
Thankfully Sabean saved Bill Bavasi from a horrible signing of Zito. And I guess maybe we can thank Colletti for saving us from Schmidt as it sounds like he's damaged goods.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #216
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Jesus.

Zack Grenkie just threw 50 pitches in the first inning of the Tigers/Royals game and only recorded two outs for his troubles.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #217
Terps
College Prospect

The O's just made THREE errors on the same play.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:17 PM   #218
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Jesus.

Zack Grenkie just threw 50 pitches in the first inning of the Tigers/Royals game and only recorded two outs for his troubles.

He was anxious

p.s. i can make this joke as a sufferer of panic disorder. you normal people better not make this joke.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #219
Terps
College Prospect

Now Millar just got screwed out of what should've at least been a ground rule double. He hit the rafters in fair territory, and after they said it was a double, then a HR, they decide it's a foul ball somehow.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #220
Atocep
Coordinator

I subscribed to MLB.tv and I've had a chance to watch most teams already this year. One thing has really stuck out.

Josh Hamilton is a wonderful story and a guy I'm definitely pulling for, but I can't help but wonder what might have been. This is a guy that was considered one of the best high school hitting prospects ever. On the same level as Griffey Jr. and A-Rod.

His patience at the plate is stunning for a guy that hasn't played hardly any baseball in 4 years and had limited ABs above high A ball. The fact that this guy could still very well develop into an all-star is amazing.

I also hate Steve Philips even more for the shots he takes at the Reds for putting him on the Major League roster (he was a rule 5 pick, they didn't have much choice). As one of the worst GMs in the past 20 years, he should be thankful he still has a job in baseball and stop spreading his idiocy over the airwaves.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #221
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
As one of the worst GMs in the past 20 years, he should be thankful he still has a job in baseball and stop spreading his idiocy over the airwaves.

Come on, have some fairness. He may have sucked as a GM, but he ROCKED as a sexual harasser!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #222
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It may be damning with faint praise, but Phillips was 100 times better than Jim Duquette!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:46 PM   #224
Easy Mac

I don't want anyone to freak out, but Jeff Francouer is on pace for 75 walks.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #225
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I don't want anyone to freak out, but Jeff Francouer is on pace for 75 walks.

His career depends on it.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #226
miami_fan
Coordinator

So the first manager on the hot seat is.......

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2841584

Quote:
As baseball season began, the Philadelphia Phillies were being eyed as a contender in the National League East. In fact, outspoken shortstop Jimmy Rollins said the Phillies were the team to beat.

But the Phillies have stumbled out of the gate to a 3-9 start -- trailing the Washington Nationals in the NL East. And the losing may already be taking its toll.

After the Phillies were drubbed 8-1 by the New York Mets on Tuesday night, manager Charlie Manuel blew his top in his office, letting loose with a profane tirade and challenging WIP-AM talk show host Howard Eskin, a longtime critic of Manuel, to a fight. Later, in the team clubhouse, he had to be restrained from going after Eskin by two Phillies coaches.

In an interview on ESPN2's Cold Pizza, Eskin acknowledged he doesn't think Manuel is a good manager, but says his opinion is based on Manuel's game management and isn't personal.

"His problem shouldn't be with me, it should be with the players that are ultimately going to get him fired," Eskin said.

The blow-up started during the postgame news conference when Eskin suggested that Manuel throw a clubhouse tirade to shake up his stumbling team.

"I do at times, but it's a timely thing," Manuel said, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. "We're still hustling. We're still playing hard. We might be trying to do too much. For me to go in there and stand up and throw a fit, I can go in there and tear the whole ... locker room up. I could come here and throw every ... chair in here out. What the hell? I don't see how that's going to do me any good."

"I think they see me angry more than you think they do. I think you probably don't see me angry. I can show you I can get angry, if you want to," Manuel told Eskin. "Why don't you drop by my office? I'll be waiting on you. I'll be waiting on you. I'll walk down there right now."

The exchange between Manuel and Eskin continued in Manuel's office and the Phillies' clubhouse, where Manuel had to be held back by coaches Milt Thompson and Mick Billmeyer.

Eskin said when he got to Manuel's office, the manager was waiting for him with a challenge.

"I don't like what you've been saying about me for three years and I'm gonna drop your ass right there," Eskin quoted Manuel as saying.

Eskin said he told Manuel he should be angry at his players, not him -- and that it's not fun coming to games and seeing the Phillies lose.

"We're going to win!" Manuel replied.

The Phillies were listless on Tuesday night, despite starting pitcher Freddy Garcia making his debut after opening the season on the disabled list. Philadelphia stranded 12 baserunners, and in the sixth inning, members of the team had to be waved off the field despite recording three outs. The bullpen allowed the Mets five runs in 4 1/3 innings.

The Phillies' problems? Their best hitters aren't hitting and the team is batting .200 with runners in scoring position. The pitching staff is last in the National League with a 5.38 ERA and a .279 opposing batting average, and the bullpen is 0-3 with a collective 4.42 ERA.

The Phils are sporting their worst start since 1997, when that team stumbled to a 3-10 record and finished 68-94. It's a continuation of a maddening trend for the Phillies, who haven't posted a winning April record since 2003.

"We're a lot better than that," center fielder Aaron Rowand said, according to the Philadelpihia Daily News. "We're going to win a lot more games than that [1997 team], I guarantee you."

As for the the team's famously caustic fans? They mounted an "E-A-G-L-E-S, Eagles!" chant in the seventh inning, choosing to praise the city's successful NFL team rather than bury its baseball team.

I wish this would have been caught on tape. Hal McRae might have had some competition.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #227
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Gord Ash was a worse GM than anyone you're talking about.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #228
Ksyrup

I hope Manuel gets fired. I never liked the hiring in the first place. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who has control over a clubhouse or who does the little things to get to know what makes his players tick.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #229
Ksyrup

Did I miss it, or was there no discussion of the pizza-throwing incident at the Red Sox game? Jerry Remy is awesome! "The gentleman has been asked to leave the game for ruining a perfectly good piece of pizza."

If you haven't seen it, here it is:

hxxp://youtube.com/watch?v=oOZm8gUdr-Y

On a foul ball down the left field line, dude gets soaked when Garret Anderson's glove clocks his beer as he attempts to catch the ball. But for some reason, and you can see it on the initial play if you're looking for it, some other dude hurls a piece of pizza at the guy, hitting him in the side of the face. It's sucks for the guy who got beer AND pizza all over him, but it's so absurd it's funny.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:18 PM   #230
Ksyrup

An xcerpt from an article dissecting the incident:

Drew lofted a foul toward Box 82, which juts into left field foul territory. Sole stretched for the ball as the Angels’ Garret Anderson reached the stands. They collided, spilling beer everywhere, and the ball bounced away.
As if the slo-mo spill and requisite grimacing weren’t enough, a large slice of cheese pizza then arced perfectly through the crowd, hitting Sole’s shoulder and face. Once he realized what hit him, he went ballistic while girlfriend Anya Ho, 29, tried to wipe off his face.
A few rows away, Madore and buddy Danny Kelly beamed. It turns out Sole had given them grief about having a large pizza in the stands just moments before the at-bat. He wanted to know where they got it.
“He turned around and said something like, ‘Your mother,’ ” Sole said.
“No,” interjected Ho. “He said, ‘The pizzeria.’ ”
Either way, all parties were annoyed.
“They had been giving us (expletive) about it,” Madore said. “Next thing I know, there’s a fly ball to left field and it goes foul and my buddy says, ‘You want some pizza now?’ And he hits him right in the face. Hey, the guy wasn’t paying attention. When you’re in the stands you’ve got to be ready for anything - a foul ball, a flying slice of pizza, everything.”
Old 04-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #231
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thats awesome.

I never knew pizza was so aerodynamic
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #232
Atocep
Coordinator

For those that have never read or heard of firejoemorgan.com, I'm gonna toss it out there because its one of my favorite websites. Its not your typical firexxxxx.com, its a blog that points out how bad sports jounalism can be, although Joe Morgan is their favorite target.

hxxp://www.firejoemorgan.com/

The link below is probably my all-time favorite Colin Cowherd showing how stupid he really is moment. Its definitely recommended reading.

hxxp://www.firejoemorgan.com/2006/01/12-minutes-of-hell-with-colin-cowherd.html
Old 04-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #233
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
For those that have never read or heard of firejoemorgan.com, I'm gonna toss it out there because its one of my favorite websites. Its not your typical firexxxxx.com, its a blog that points out how bad sports jounalism can be, although Joe Morgan is their favorite target.

hxxp://www.firejoemorgan.com/

The link below is probably my all-time favorite Colin Cowherd showing how stupid he really is moment. Its definitely recommended reading.

hxxp://www.firejoemorgan.com/2006/01/12-minutes-of-hell-with-colin-cowherd.html

I don't get it. That was akin to reading some ahole dissecting an idiot's message board post. If I want to do that I could do it here. I have never heard of Cowherd, but it seems like he is trying to drum up some conversation.

I will admit I am not a big fan of critics.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #234
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
I don't get it. That was akin to reading some ahole dissecting an idiot's message board post. If I want to do that I could do it here. I have never heard of Cowherd, but it seems like he is trying to drum up some conversation.

I will admit I am not a big fan of critics.

I'm not either, but this guy nails CC dead on. I was listening to ESPN online rather than the music station they pipe in here at work and eventually would turn it off during his time because of his idiocy. I was pretty much in agreement with 95% of the dissection and I would imagine it was the build up of listening to CC more than once that led up to the eventual blow up that resulted in that post.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #235
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Think the Phillies slow start is getting to them?

Manager Charlie Manuel's frustration was evident after the game. The normally mild-mannered manager challenged a radio talk-show host to a fight. Manuel had to be restrained by hitting coach Milt Thompson at one point.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #236
miami_fan
Coordinator

Brett Myers is now the second closer for the Phils.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #237
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Brett Myers is now the second closer for the Phils.

I read he's just a setup man. Where did you see he's the closer? Or is this the intention on this move?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #238
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
I read he's just a setup man. Where did you see he's the closer? Or is this the intention on this move?

The article I read said he would the closer when Tom Gordon was not available.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #239
miami_fan
Coordinator

Either way that is a stiff drop for the "ace" of your staff.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #240
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'm not either, but this guy nails CC dead on. I was listening to ESPN online rather than the music station they pipe in here at work and eventually would turn it off during his time because of his idiocy. I was pretty much in agreement with 95% of the dissection and I would imagine it was the build up of listening to CC more than once that led up to the eventual blow up that resulted in that post.

Yep... Colin Cowherd gets completely destroyed. He really is that much of an idiot, yet has a show on ESPN radio... it's insane.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #241
Atocep
Coordinator

Zambrano is injured. Not officially yet, but he's throwing 91-92 and has dropped down to 3/4 on several pitches. He should have signed that contract before the season started because he won't make it through this season.

Another Dusty Baker casualty. Thats 3 young pitchers he's ruined.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #242
hoopsguy
General Manager

Wow, no one watching White Sox game?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #243
hoopsguy
General Manager

And the no-no is complete for Buehrle. 1 walk, Sosa in 5th, followed immediately by a pick-off.

I have a friend who passed up great seats for tonights game because he went last night. He'll hear about this for awhile ...
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #244
henry296
College Starter

Luckily I caugth the last out since the Brewers announcers mentioned it and I flipped over.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #245
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

For all that is holy, I'm hoping Felix's injury isn't anything arm-related.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #246
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yep... Colin Cowherd gets completely destroyed. He really is that much of an idiot, yet has a show on ESPN radio... it's insane.

I've never heard anyone more repetitive in any medium, or in my own life. He literally comes up with a point to make, and then repeats 3 sentences for 5 straight minutes. It's almost fascinating.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:08 PM   #247
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

No-hitters are one of the many things that makes baseball great and in my mind, better than almost anything.

Fernando Vina on Baseball Tonight doesn't seem too bad.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #248
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Think the Phillies slow start is getting to them?

Manager Charlie Manuel's frustration was evident after the game. The normally mild-mannered manager challenged a radio talk-show host to a fight. Manuel had to be restrained by hitting coach Milt Thompson at one point.

I just listened to that whole debacle on ESPN just now. I think that radio guy was just trying to push Charlie's buttons.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #249
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I've never heard anyone more repetitive in any medium, or in my own life. He literally comes up with a point to make, and then repeats 3 sentences for 5 straight minutes. It's almost fascinating.

If he thinks he said something clever or funny you'll hear it in just about every other sentence the rest of the show and a lot of times he'll carry it on through several shows.

There's no real discussion on the show. He'll bring up a topic and if anyone calls in that disagrees with his view he'll either repeatedly interupt them or just drop the call and go off for a few minutes on why his view is right and everyone else's is wrong.

He's also been known to steal stuff off of message boards and passes it off as his own material. He's so uncreative he'll actually read it word for word.

Anyways, I love the firejoemorgan blog. Its nice to see someone at least attempt to hold poor sports journalists accountable for spewing out garbage, relying on cliches throughout their writing, or just simply making up stats to support their point.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #250
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
For all that is holy, I'm hoping Felix's injury isn't anything arm-related.
Fuck me - elbow tightness. Are the baseball gods really so cruel as to strike Felix down so early in his career, just as it seems he's ready to fulfill the enormous expectations heaped upon him? Has the Mariner's pitcher prospect injury curse struck yet again?