Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #251
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Tlusty is the first Leaf to score a pair of goals in his first game since Nikolai Borschevsky. So if he continues to follow this career path, he'll get 30+ goals as a rookie, play on the first line of two conference finalists, Mike Myers will name his dog after him and confuse David Letterman with the story, and then his spleen will explode and he'll almost die.

I'd take it.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #252
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Tlusty is the first Leaf to score a pair of goals in his first game since Nikolai Borschevsky. So if he continues to follow this career path, he'll get 30+ goals as a rookie, play on the first line of two conference finalists, Mike Myers will name his dog after him and confuse David Letterman with the story, and then his spleen will explode and he'll almost die.

I'd take it.

and now he coaches rep hockey in Toronto and runs a hockey school.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #253
bbor
Pro Starter

If i could find Nikolais goal vs Detroit in Game 7...i'd post it right now

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #254
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Toronto radio did a call in for peoples favorite Toronto athlete of all time.....guess who got the first vote.I hate Leaf fans.
HOW THE FUCK DID THIS CLOWN GET VOTED ABOVE PINBALL CLEMONS
Old 10-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #255
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
HOW THE FUCK DID THIS CLOWN GET VOTED ABOVE PINBALL CLEMONS

He did'nt end up 1st over all...but the 1st jack ass that called in voted for him.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #256
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
If i could find Nikolais goal vs Detroit in Game 7...i'd post it right now

The Red Wings were never the same.

Wait, what?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #257
bbor
Pro Starter

Man...that goal STILL makes my hair stand on end...just as much as it probably makes HBs' hair fall out

Old 10-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #258
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

The Red Wings were never the same.

Wait, what?

Thanks for that. Why don't you give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it while you're at it? Or kick my dog. He's really cute and innocent. He'll never see it coming.

Between this Nikolai Borchevsky nonsense and that Jamie Baker goal, I suffered. Oh yes, I suffered...

And if Tlusty is the second-coming of Borchevsky and some how, some way, the Wings ended up facing the Leafs in the Finals, I'd take him out my own damned self. Shane Stant style.

How do you say "Why!?" in Russian?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #259
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So Chara killed Kochi last night

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q3_ghTTQefI
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #260
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Not much new on the Wings' front. The team continues to roll pretty as it has the 15 years or so (outside of being unable to beat Robert Lang and the Blackhawks).

(woo )

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #261
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

22 games.

That's how many games Jordan Leopold has played since the Avs traded Tanguay for him 15 months ago. Since then, he's suffered 5 different injuries (hernia, groin, wrist, hip and now wrist again) and hasn't played more than 10 straight games without getting hurt. He's out 2 months now after his latest injury.

sadly, he's been playing so poorly, the team will probably be better without him.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #262
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Oy. So ends the win streak and the point streak as the Habs make Cam Ward look awful in giving up five goals in 15 shots and eventually win, 7-4. Ward was pulled after the first period. First really bad game Cam has had all year. Time to see whether his mental abilities have improved along with his physical ones. He's probably going to get the call tomorrow night against the Islanders in New York since Graehme had to pick up the pieces the last two periods tonight.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #263
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

For the 2nd time in a week, the Avs won a game against the Flames that they had no business winning. Calgary outshot Colorado 41-22 and led for most of the game. Calgary had 2 5 on 3 chances (including one over a minute in the 3rd) but couldn't convert (well, actually they did convert, but Mick McGeough hadn't had a camera pointed at him in a while, so blew a whistle too early on a certain Calgary goal).

Anywho, the Avs tie it late in the 3rd and score just seconds into OT. Phaneuf wisely decided to pinch in deep into the Avs corner, leaving just one guy back. Of course, the puck gets out, Sakic and Smyth break out 2 on 1 and Smyth buries it for the big win.

Gratifying to see Phaneuf's bonehead play cost them a point. Also nice because the Sportsnet announcers were railing on Smyth earlier. Not that they were homers or anything.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #264
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So ends the Igor Grigorenko Era. He is returning to Russia to make phat Russian loots...

In more positive news, the Wings destroyed the Sharks last night 5-1. The Wings rolled over them and the Sharks looked very flustered, undisciplined and out of synch all night. Joe Thorton was in a very testy mood it seemed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #265
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

"He shoot to my ass and I a little bit feel it, but I don't say nothing."
- Jiri "The Chosen One" Tlusty describes his first NHL goal.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #266
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Also nice because the Sportsnet announcers were railing on Smyth earlier. Not that they were homers or anything.

You get Sportsnet? Did Altitude just pick up the feed? I didn't know the network extended beyond our border.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #267
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
You get Sportsnet? Did Altitude just pick up the feed? I didn't know the network extended beyond our border.
Center Ice picked up the Sportsnet feed.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #268
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms View Post
Center Ice picked up the Sportsnet feed.

yep.
speaking of, DirecTV seems to be starting a new thing where they are showing both the home and away feeds on different channels. I really like having the option (no more Terry "The Lisp" Crisp when we play the Preds) so I hope they keep it up. Now, if they would just indicated which feed is on which channel I'll be happy.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:55 PM   #269
RendeR
Coordinator

Sabres, while not looking great, at least looked like they wanted to win and pulled a second win out of this florida trip. 4-3 win over the Lightning in OT.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:14 AM   #270
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Considering I have two posts in this thread, and both of them are excorciating Flyers players for being dirty, some may soon think I have an agenda.

Patrice Bergeron taken out by #6 Jones? from Philly tonight into the boards. The announcers were freaking out as if Patrice was paralyzed for 30+ minutes even though Bergeron had already moved his legs.... either way, not what you want to see and Jones will pay regardless of "intent".
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #271
RendeR
Coordinator

That was a really hard play and he deserved the boarding penalty, but I don't think it really deserves more than that. They were flying for the puck, the timing was bad and he got penalized. I feel for Patrice, it was prety ugly and it busted his face up(broken nose and lacerations) but was it intentional? I don't think so, but maybe I'm an optimist.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #272
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
That was a really hard play and he deserved the boarding penalty, but I don't think it really deserves more than that. They were flying for the puck, the timing was bad and he got penalized. I feel for Patrice, it was prety ugly and it busted his face up(broken nose and lacerations) but was it intentional? I don't think so, but maybe I'm an optimist.
I don't know if it was intentional, and it defini,tely wasn't as bad as Claude Lemieux on Kris Draper, but he'll be suspended. It wasn't like Bergeron ducked at the last minute - Jones had his head lined up with his elbow and drove it into the boards. Now that Bergeron is ok, it is kind of funny to watch the fight going on while Bergeron lies motionless and unattended to 10 feet away.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #273
duff88
College Prospect

Tons of fun pictures on HFBoards after Markov's shootout winner celebration yesterday. Some are brillant:

Original celebration

HFBoards photoshops

Hopefully nobody will mind a post with so many pictures, but I thought it was pretty funny.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #274
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It's unbelievable to me that the Ducks can be so consistently awful in every single shootout they are in. They must absolutely be the, hands down, worst shootout team--ever. And, no, this isn't just this year, this goes back to last year and 2005. They need to stop having regular practices until they win a shootout. Just keep having shootout practices until they figure it out. Honest to God, it's just stupid now.

Galling, also, that this was against the bleeping Oiler, and we let them tie it up--shorthanded!--with under two minutes to play. I swear this team must be on the take right now.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #275
bhlloy
Coordinator

Big surprise I see Perry missed. I swear to God I have seen him take at least 5 penalty shots without actually shooting the puck once. Getzlaf is just as bad. I don't know who is a better option but it would be nice to make the goalie make a save once in a while.

Ducks are a below average team without Niedermayer and Selanne. I can see them missing the playoffs quite easily right now if neither comes back. Bertuzzi is pretty close to washed up and I don't know how much of a difference Schneider makes. Not enough I fear.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #276
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It's unbelievable to me that the Ducks can be so consistently awful in every single shootout they are in. They must absolutely be the, hands down, worst shootout team--ever. And, no, this isn't just this year, this goes back to last year and 2005. They need to stop having regular practices until they win a shootout. Just keep having shootout practices until they figure it out. Honest to God, it's just stupid now.

Galling, also, that this was against the bleeping Oiler, and we let them tie it up--shorthanded!--with under two minutes to play. I swear this team must be on the take right now.

So, since you got to experience what I felt two years ago when Carolina won, you are now getting to experience what I felt last year (I think we lost every shootout we were involved in last year and were just beyond wretched percentage-wise).
Old 10-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #277
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just to chime in again .. Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Holmstrom are the best line in hockey, and Z continues his point streak.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #278
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Just to chime in again .. Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Holmstrom are the best line in hockey, and Z continues his point streak.

They were the best line last year too for a decent stretch last year until Zetterberg got hurt. Pretty amazing that Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Holmstrom were drafted 171, 210, and 257 overall, respectively.

It looks like those around the league are finally taking notice of Zetterberg's start.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

"But there could be an argument made that right now, as October draws to a close that the league's best player could be one that wasn't chosen until the 210th overall pick of the 1999 entry draft; who stands a modest 5-foot-11; who just turned 27 earlier this month and has quietly averaged more than a point-a-game in the two-plus seasons of the post-lockout NHL ... That would be the Detroit Red Wings' Henrik Zetterberg"

From EJ Hradek (October 29, ESPN)

"Zetterberg continued his strong start with another dynamic effort in Vancouver on Sunday night. The Swedish sniper, who was named the first star in the 3-2 win over the Canucks, added an assist to his league-leading point total (21 points). He has registered at least one point in each of the club's first 12 games. Going back to last season, he has scored in 19 straight games. The 27-year-old forward is absolutely challenging Sidney Crosby for the unofficial title of league's best player."
Old 10-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #279
Karim
College Starter

Sutter works his magic again. Kipper signs a 6 year extension averaging $5.8/yr.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:28 AM   #280
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Sutter works his magic again. Kipper signs a 6 year extension averaging $5.8/yr.

and thank your lucky stars that Keenan doesn't have the power to trade him.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:07 AM   #281
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

A great deal for the Flames.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:43 PM   #282
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wings up 1-0 in Edmonton. Zetterberg scores his 10th, tying him for the lead league in goals, and giving him a league leading 22 points. He's had a point in every game this year, totally amazing.

Scary news for Oilers fans as Matt Greene goes down awkwardly. Probably a sprain, could be torn ligaments. That team is totally beaten up.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:50 PM   #283
Travis
Pro Rookie

If I had to guess, I'd say Greene's knee is done for quite some time. I'm hoping that the fall just looked more awkward because of being on skates rather than how it'd look if he were wearing cleats, but the way his knee went I'd be very surprised to see him back anytime soon.

Oilers played a very spirited game but weren't able to get enough shots on net to knock off the Wings. Much more encouraging effort than the last time they played (albeit on home ice this time, though missing Souray, Pitkanen and Greene). Hurts losing that late in the final frame and not getting at least one point, but at least their legs were going for most of the night.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:44 AM   #284
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:

If I understand correctly - the deal is more heavily weighted to the first 5 years. The rumor is that Kipper plans to retire after 5 years. If he did - does the contract still count against the cap?
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:39 AM   #285
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
So, since you got to experience what I felt two years ago when Carolina won, you are now getting to experience what I felt last year (I think we lost every shootout we were involved in last year and were just beyond wretched percentage-wise).

No, not quite. You see, we weren't some amazing shootout team and became awful this year. We have been consistently awful from Game One, Year One of the shootout era. Even when we were rolling to strong performances in the playoffs, we consistently blew chunks in the shootout. It's amazinf really. Pure luck alone should have gotten us a higher success rate with it by now (much less practice).
Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 AM   #286
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
If I understand correctly - the deal is more heavily weighted to the first 5 years. The rumor is that Kipper plans to retire after 5 years. If he did - does the contract still count against the cap?
I'd assume so. Especially if he's over 35 at that point, since there are provisions that you do get a cap hit if you sign a guy older than that to a long-term deal.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 AM   #287
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Scary news for Oilers fans as Matt Greene goes down awkwardly. Probably a sprain, could be torn ligaments. That team is totally beaten up.

Here we go again.

When do the open tryouts for D-Men begin?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #288
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
No, not quite. You see, we weren't some amazing shootout team and became awful this year. We have been consistently awful from Game One, Year One of the shootout era. Even when we were rolling to strong performances in the playoffs, we consistently blew chunks in the shootout. It's amazinf really. Pure luck alone should have gotten us a higher success rate with it by now (much less practice).

Even so, it does seem that the Ducks have straggled out of the gate (4-7-2), much as Carolina did last year. The Cup is a wonderful thing, but it is absolute hell on the team because of the short layoff (and it was even shorter for Carolina because of the Olympic break in '06). You keep thinking that they'll get it together eventually, but for Carolina at least, it never really happened last year.

Will the early struggles increase or decrease the likelihood that Niedermayer and Selanne come back? If they're in trouble by January, what incentive is there to come back then?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #289
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I realize this is getting annoying by Zetterberg has scored his 11th goal tonight, giving him 23 points in 14 games, and a 14 game scoring streak to start the season. Absolutely the best player in the NHL right now.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 AM   #290
bhlloy
Coordinator

Hey CR - was at the game tonight and we won a fricking shootout! Admittedly it was a terrible shot by Schneider that trickled through the goalies legs, but I'll take it.

Other than that, same old same old where we dominated the play but couldn't even hit the net for most of the game and then Giggy gave up a real soft goal on a horrible rebound.

Fun game though with 3 good fights and almost a line brawl.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:41 AM   #291
Pyser
Pro Rookie

schneider takes your shoot out shots? did it go to 10 rounds or something??
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #292
bhlloy
Coordinator

No, that's just how bad this team is at shootouts.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #293
Pyser
Pro Rookie

spezza signs a 7 yr, $49m contract.

you know what was a bad trade?

Yashin for Chara, Muckalt, and the #2 pick, which became Spezza.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:32 AM   #294
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Hey CR - was at the game tonight and we won a fricking shootout! Admittedly it was a terrible shot by Schneider that trickled through the goalies legs, but I'll take it.

Other than that, same old same old where we dominated the play but couldn't even hit the net for most of the game and then Giggy gave up a real soft goal on a horrible rebound.

Fun game though with 3 good fights and almost a line brawl.

Yeah, I saw a good portion of the third and OT last night.

One of these days, dominating play will become solid victories. I guess we'll just have to wait until we get healthy and gut through it until then. I don't question the talent; it's the execution and trying to move past not having Penner and Teemu to help score goals. And the usual Cup hangover, of course.

I hate soft goals.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:22 AM   #295
Pyser
Pro Rookie

heres how weird a season it is for the devils so far:

the decade old checking line players madden and pandolfo lead the team, with 6 goals each.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:39 AM   #296
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
spezza signs a 7 yr, $49m contract.

you know what was a bad trade?

Yashin for Chara, Muckalt, and the #2 pick, which became Spezza.

I miss Mike Milbury
Old 11-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #297
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Who first coined the phrase/idea that a goal lead is the worst lead to have? Because the Penguins are making that guy look like a genius.

A lot of Pens "fans" will pin this on Fleury, but the 3 goals given up:

Crosby attempts to reverse the play behind the net...and the puck kicks out of the boards [side note, this happened about 3-4 times to each team!] right onto Trent Hunter's stick. Is it possible Nassau Coliseum is actually shittier than Mellon Arena?

On a blocked shot, Joe Vasicek receives a lead pass, both Sydor and Nasreddine skated towards him...forgetting there are 4 other Isles on the ice, one of which, Miro Satan, is trailing the play and walks in alone.

Goal 3 Satan shoots the puck over the net, rebound out to the point. MA Bergeron gets the puck on net, Fleury gives us a rebound (No, Fleury wasn't perfect) and Rockin' Rob Scuderi watches from the front of the net as Satan knocks in the rebound.

I think they just wanted Al Arbour to go home happy.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #298
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think the Pens still have the same trouble defensively that Ottawa took advantage of in the first round of the playoffs last season.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #299
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I think the Pens still have the same trouble defensively that Ottawa took advantage of in the first round of the playoffs last season.

You mean that they suck defensively?

In an ideal world, Mark Eaton is on your 2nd, probably 3rd pairing, and Rob Scuderi is your #7. Both those guys are playing over, or close to, 20 mins a night.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #300
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It's just two strong games, so not much to make of it right now, but the Ducks have played much closer to the championship level of last year in those two games than previously. And shock of all shocks, they are for the first time relatively healthy. Hopefully we hve turned an early corner.

Incidentally, for those teams looking for goaltending help, Burke has been actively shopping Bryzgalov for forward help. He's a very good netminder who could be a strong #1 for someone, but teams are hesitant right now witht he salary cap (or at least that's what TSN is saying). They think Bryz could be dealt by the winter freeze period, though, around Christmas.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.