Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #51
cuervo72
Head Coach

You guys are SO going to have Simms, Maple Leafs, and bbor on your asses!

cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #52
kurtism
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
You guys are SO going to have Simms, Maple Leafs, and bbor on your asses!

Just so long as no one pisses off Buddy G.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #53
cuervo72
Head Coach

I figured Buddy hated Bryan Adams anyway.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #54
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I thought Buddy was Bryan Adams
Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #55
cuervo72
Head Coach

nonono, Buddy is the guy from that HGTV wacky home show.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #56
rowech
Pro Starter

My choice to win it:

http://www.americanidol.com/contesta...ea_lushington/

She got no screen time really at all during the last episode.

For those who like American Idol and haven't seen/heard of Paul Potts, there's also this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya1xL...eature=related

Simon's face is just priceless.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #57
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

There's a direct correlation between pre-top 24 face time and success in the competition. There are 4-5 people who have pretty much no shot at winning, or even doing well. Perhaps one or two of them will distinguish themselves early and hang on for a bit, but several people have done an "analysis" (for lack of a better term) of face time and finish, and the correlation is pretty much dead-on. Of course, there are several guys who got pretty much no face time, so I guess a couple of them will have to stick around for a few weeks just by the nature of the competition. Given the clear advantage it brings, they should really make an attempt to do a small feature on all of the eventual top 24 at some point before they are actually selected.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #58
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
There's a direct correlation between pre-top 24 face time and success in the competition. There are 4-5 people who have pretty much no shot at winning, or even doing well. Perhaps one or two of them will distinguish themselves early and hang on for a bit, but several people have done an "analysis" (for lack of a better term) of face time and finish, and the correlation is pretty much dead-on. Of course, there are several guys who got pretty much no face time, so I guess a couple of them will have to stick around for a few weeks just by the nature of the competition. Given the clear advantage it brings, they should really make an attempt to do a small feature on all of the eventual top 24 at some point before they are actually selected.
Exactly. The guy I am rooting for, Luke Menard, got absolutely zero face time. The only thing I heard they said about him was that he was "too good for the competition."
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #59
Schmidty
Coordinator

What's with all of them there for'ners? I think American Idol should require American citizenship.

Am I allowed to go compete on Canadian Idol?

Hahahahahahah!!! Sorry, I tried to say that with a straight face, but failed. I do think I'd do well on CI, since I do a really, really good moose call.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #60
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
It's a sad state of affairs my friend.

Just weird to see you on FOFC at night.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #61
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Just weird to see you on FOFC at night.

I was distraught at the time. Momentarily lost my faculties.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #62
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
This is something that kind of irritates me about this show, although funny enough that Kristy Lee girl didn't really get much face time but I imagine has a good position at this point.

My early favorites (for who I like, not who I think will win) in no particular order:

Irish chick
Long Haired Rocker
Asya (or however she spells it)
Kristy Lee Cook
Nurse Rocker

And if they never do an interview with him and I close my eyes I think I could really like Noriega.

From my experience at least a couple of my early favorites get quickly exposed in the first few weeks and I lose faith in them and a couple of others surprise me and make their way on the list. I think the two rocker's have the biggest risk of falling off of my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #63
Ksyrup

Kristy Lee Cook got a bunch of face time. In fact, it seems like they manufactured a backstory for her about having to sell a horse to pay for her trip to the audition. They went back to her farm and did a whole segment on her. Granted, that was for her first audition and they didn't focus on her as much in Hollywood, but still. She was the clear star from the first couple of audition shows.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #64
Ksyrup

The long haired rocker? Are you talking about the former boy bander Robbie Carrico? Marketing aside, I still don't see what he has to do with being a rocker - now he wears a knit cap and has a scruffy beard. Oh, and Ryan continually calls him a rocker. Woopee! Just a guess, but I think he'll turn out to be as much of a rocker as Constantine was.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #65
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Kristy Lee Cook got a bunch of face time. In fact, it seems like they manufactured a backstory for her about having to sell a horse to pay for her trip to the audition. They went back to her farm and did a whole segment on her. Granted, that was for her first audition and they didn't focus on her as much in Hollywood, but still. She was the clear star from the first couple of audition shows.

Didn't she go audition in Phily? If she had to sell a horse to go audition, why didn't she just go to a closer audition instead? Then she would only have to have sold off a pony or something... I dunno..
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:34 AM   #66
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Didn't she go audition in Phily? If she had to sell a horse to go audition, why didn't she just go to a closer audition instead? Then she would only have to have sold off a pony or something... I dunno..

THAT WAS ALL MADE UP. THIS SHOW IS FUCKING SHIT.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #67
Ksyrup

There are always several people in every audition city who geographically don't make sense where they auditioned. I guess maybe schedule matters, but otherwise...? And yeah, her story about the horse came off as forced when we learned about her background. They basically played her up like that Poppelreiter dude, fresh off the farm. She actually lived in Nashville for quite some time pursuing her career. You'd think if money meant that much, she'd have tried out in LA or something.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #68
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I was definitely referring to Hollywood. She was in the 1st or 2nd audition show, in the minds of america that was a loooong time ago. So to me she's at a bit of a disadvantage because of the low coverage in Hollywood. I was actually wondering if she would get cut because of that.

Quote:
The long haired rocker? Are you talking about the former boy bander Robbie Carrico? Marketing aside, I still don't see what he has to do with being a rocker - now he wears a knit cap and has a scruffy beard. Oh, and Ryan continually calls him a rocker. Woopee! Just a guess, but I think he'll turn out to be as much of a rocker as Constantine was.

And thus the reason I think he's at risk for sliding off. They keep calling him a "rocker" and I think there's a decent sound to his voice, but I think wants I see him more I won't like him.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 02-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #69
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I was definitely referring to Hollywood. She was in the 1st or 2nd audition show, in the minds of america that was a loooong time ago. So to me she's at a bit of a disadvantage because of the low coverage in Hollywood. I was actually wondering if she would get cut because of that.

Teh hawtness was never far from my mind...
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #70
Ksyrup

I won't post the entire article text here, but this is on the front page of Yahoo.com about Carly Smithson. I suspect this chick is going to get cut very quickly as part of an anti-vet backlash. And it doesn't help she's not from America, either. AI has really shot itself in the foot by not presenting these people in their true light. Maybe people won't care, but I suspect the cover-up is going to fuel an outrage if a lot of people (voters) find out about this. Michael Johns is in the same boat, except Carly's the poster child.

hxxp://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/13980/irish-idol-smithsons-secret-past

"American Idol is supposed to be all about giving undiscovered talent a chance. Please note I used the word "undiscovered." As in, artists who have not had record deals yet. Artists who need a show like this to GET a record deal in the first place. Artists who have not already had major labels waste millions of dollars unsuccessfully trying to mold them into next big things.

What's my point? Well, last night the visa-challenged Irish artist formerly known as Carly Hennessy--but now conveniently going under her new married name, Carly Smithson--made it into American Idol's top 24, despite having had a flop album out on MCA Records nearly seven years ago. An album that sold only hundreds of copies, despite the fact that MCA spent millions of dollars trying to promote it."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-15-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #71
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

i think that was more because she is freaking gorgeous than anything....they did the backstories during the audition shows (especially when they were in one city for 2 days) on alot of people, some of whom didnt even make it to hollywood (the air force girl comes to mind)
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #72
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I won't post the entire article text here, but this is on the front page of Yahoo.com about Carly Smithson. I suspect this chick is going to get cut very quickly as part of an anti-vet backlash. And it doesn't help she's not from America, either. AI has really shot itself in the foot by not presenting these people in their true light. Maybe people won't care, but I suspect the cover-up is going to fuel an outrage if a lot of people (voters) find out about this. Michael Johns is in the same boat, except Carly's the poster child.

hxxp://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/13980/irish-idol-smithsons-secret-past

"American Idol is supposed to be all about giving undiscovered talent a chance. Please note I used the word "undiscovered." As in, artists who have not had record deals yet. Artists who need a show like this to GET a record deal in the first place. Artists who have not already had major labels waste millions of dollars unsuccessfully trying to mold them into next big things.

What's my point? Well, last night the visa-challenged Irish artist formerly known as Carly Hennessy--but now conveniently going under her new married name, Carly Smithson--made it into American Idol's top 24, despite having had a flop album out on MCA Records nearly seven years ago. An album that sold only hundreds of copies, despite the fact that MCA spent millions of dollars trying to promote it."

Ugh. Yeah, not a fan of this. Meh - and I liked her.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #73
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Ugh. Yeah, not a fan of this. Meh - and I liked her.

Agree.

I think it is really really rare to have someone that can sing, hasn't done anything and walks into AI to audition so, I'd expect most people that can sing have done some level of singing be it at a county fair or singing a National Anthem at some sporting event.

Plus, one thing to have an album cut with a low print # that you were pimping on your own website (see Daughtry, Bo Bice and probably a bunch of others) But, completely different to already have someone throw millions at promoting you and you failed. Sounds like they are trying to recoup their investment now. I'd rather throw money at Josiah and buy his songs off myspace then buy some previously failed artist.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #74
rkmsuf
Head Coach

We need a Congressperson to investigate this process and the voting.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #75
rkmsuf
Head Coach

We have a right to an honest American Idol!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #76
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
We need a Congressperson to investigate this process and the voting.

After looking into the matter, Commissioner Goodell and Simon Cowell have decided to destroy Ireland and remove any evidence of any prior wrongdoing.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #77
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

I have evidence that I gave her a shot in the ass. I saved it.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #78
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:

I agree with this. I watched the top24 show and said to myself: Who the hell is that? Who's that? What?

Why did some of them get lead on on camera and some didn't? All i could think was wouldn't an equal exposure be nice? Good thing this isn't political.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #79
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
I agree with this. I watched the top24 show and said to myself: Who the hell is that? Who's that? What?

Why did some of them get lead on on camera and some didn't? All i could think was wouldn't an equal exposure be nice? Good thing this isn't political.

Because it's fixed, goof.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #80
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Speaking of not being an true amateur.

Check out Kristy Lee Cook's myspace.

hxxp://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=305762194

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-15-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #81
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Speaking of not being an true amateur.

Check out Kristy Lee Cook's myspace.

hxxp://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=305762194

There was actually an original AI thread that we were all posting in before rumsfeld smurf started this one. I detailed a bunch of info about the other plants. Here's a brief synopsis:

Carly Smithson - In addition to what's in this thread is this nugget:
Carly was signed to MCA records during the same time period that Randy Jackson was the senior vice president of A&R. Carly was at MCA in1999. Randy started at MCA in 1998 and was there for 4 years.

Michael Johns used to be Michael Lee and was in a signed band who alleges that he stole a bunch of their songs, changed his name, and went off to do a solo album. And he's Australian.

Kady Malloy released an album produced by Nick Trevisick.

Brooke White had an opening slot on a Phil Vassar tour.

Amy Davis was on Nashville Star and was in a band with members of Survivor.

Robbie Carrico was in the boy band Boyz and Girlz United (ha!) and is a former boyfriend of Britney Spears.

Kristy Lee Cook was signed to Arista Nashville.

Syesha Mercado was on the failed NBC AI rip-off The One.

Joanne Borgella is this year's Melinda Doolittle. She was a backup singer for Patty LaBelle and Bo Bice.

Jason Yeager was on Making the Band.

Jason Castro was on the MTV show Cheyenne.

David Archuleta won Star Search, and I believe his story is the only one they've told on AI so far.

Several others who didn't make it have experience as well, the worst case being Jermaine Paul who made the top 50 and quit to sign a record deal so they cut him out of the show completely. Paul was up for a Grammy for a duet with Alicia Keys and is on a Kanye West album.

I don't necessarily have a problem with them all being in the competition, but they are hardly worthy of being contestants on a show billed as finding "America's undiscovered talent." Truth in advertising, guys!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-15-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #82
Ksyrup

A friend of mine from another board who was a long-time DJ in Tennessee ran into your favorite almost-Idol contestant over the weekend:

He said the kid is unbelievably naive and starting to get some offers. Sounds like another sob story in the making, to be told 2-3 years sfrom now when the kid is still living in his car but made someone else some money.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #83
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Michael Johns used to be Michael Lee and was in a signed band who alleges that he stole a bunch of their songs, changed his name, and went off to do a solo album. And he's Australian.

The oddly sad part is that one of John's/Michael Lee's band connections, The Rising, really sounds pretty good.

Their MySpace is here: http://www.myspace.com/therisingband

Nothing groundbreaking, but decent enough for today's musical landscape.

(Heh. Talk about damning with faint praise.)

Last edited by Drake : 02-18-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #84
Ksyrup

That's the band he started after he left The Film. Supposedly, he stole several songs and used them as his own with The Rising. Therisingsucks.com has the story (alleged story, I guess).

EDIT: Oh wow, that site worked as of last week. AI censors strike again. A day or two after Kady Malloy was outed, her album disappeared off a site you could buy it. Now this.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-18-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #85
Flasch186
Coordinator

I will not be watching AI anymore this season however no one come over on Tuesday or Wednesday night's between 8 and 10pm....I have to fold some clot, er, wash my h, er, mow my la......sleep. Ill be sleeping, til 10.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #86
Ksyrup

This week is brutal - 5 hours of AI. Tuesday is impossible - AI, Biggest Loser, and Big Brother all on at the same time.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #87
Ksyrup

Syesha Mercado was not only on The One, NBC's attempt at an AI-type show, but she recently did a commercial for AI sponsor Ford. I'm surprised they didn't find a way to get her into the Knight Rider movie.

&ampnbsp

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-18-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #88
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The oddly sad part is that one of John's/Michael Lee's band connections, The Rising, really sounds pretty good.

Their MySpace is here: http://www.myspace.com/therisingband

Nothing groundbreaking, but decent enough for today's musical landscape.

(Heh. Talk about damning with faint praise.)

Yeah I was really surprised when I read that here that he used to be the singer for them. I was all about one of their songs, "Cradle" back in I think 2003 or 2004 when I was still in college.

Ksyrup - Immediately after you posted about therisingsucks.com I went there and it was down. However, in Google if you click on cached pages or whatever you can still get in and see the story (for whoever is interested).

Also, there was another girl who's name I recognized during Hollywood week... Nina Shaw. I knew the name sounded familiar every time I heard it so I fired up Itunes and searched and I definitly have a few songs from her as well. R&B artist but on some songs with some pretty well-known rappers but nothing that was probably ever "officially" released. Surprising though that she didnt make the final 24.

Anyway, very interesting some of the backstorys on these people as the actual undiscovered talent gets thinner by the year. Ksyrup, what sites do you use for your info?
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #89
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I wonder what William Hung is doing these days.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #90
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by zums View Post
Anyway, very interesting some of the backstorys on these people as the actual undiscovered talent gets thinner by the year. Ksyrup, what sites do you use for your info?

The main site I check out often is mjsbigblog.com, since he/she links to EVERYTHING - major newspaper articles, local news items, other blogs, etc. I also read votefortheworst.com every couple of weeks, as they are really good at compiling all of the backstory info. There are some other really good sites, but MJ links to them and I just go to them to read specific articles/threads.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 AM   #91
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I wonder what William Hung is doing these days.

Your cousin Tanya? Oh, sorry, you said what.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #92
Ksyrup

If you're looking for a run-down on the male contestants performing tonight, check this out:

hxxp://mjsbigblog.com/season-7-top-12-guys.htm
Old 02-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #93
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Your cousin Tanya? Oh, sorry, you said what.
DAAAAAAAAMN
Old 02-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #94
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Holy shit. That long haired, hippy kinda, looking 17 year old is from Elida, Ohio. The Elida Bulldogs play us, the Celina Bulldogs in high school sports. Same division and league. Crazy.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #95
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Holy shit. That Leif Garrett wannabee looking 17 year old is from Elida, Ohio.

Any Scott Baio lookalikes walking about that town too?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #96
korme
Go Reds

Jason Castro (dreads) is my new favorite I think - he turned that song into something where I could imagine a pop-rock band using it
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #97
adubroff
High School JV

My ranking:

1) David A. - the best....pretty goofy but will play well with teenybopper girls. Expect to see him for a long time.
2) Jason C - The better Jason. Took an old song and put a stamp on it.
3) Mike Johns - Light my fire is such a Jim Morrison classic, I was worried when he tried it but he did a solid job.
4) Luke - Liked him much better than the judges. Suprised they were so harsh.
5) Colton - this is where the performances stop standing out.
6) David C - 2nd among Davids
7) Robbie - getting the rocker label now buys you Daughtry comparisons, which is going to be steep for anybody.
8) Jason Y- The lesser Jason
9) Daniel Noriega - creepy.
10) David H - he kicked it off, and the kickoff went outta bounds.
11) Garrett - bad song, didn't show off his voice which had been strong in earlier performances
12) Chickeze - a poor man's Ruben. Actually compared to where Ruben was at this point in the competition, he's a broke man's Ruben.

Usually there's a performer or two hanging in the mid pack who's running a stalking race and breaks out. I didn't see much from 4-12 to show that they had the ability to do that.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #98
cuervo72
Head Coach

I thought Chikeze was going to go into the Love Boat theme.

These guys...some of these guys are not too good.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #99
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Maybe it's just me but I thought some of the guys were just awful tonight.

Garrett, Jason Yeager and Luke made me cringe.

David Archuleta was the best of the bunch and I liked Michael John and Jason Castro too.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #100
JeeberD
General Manager

Menard, IMO, was BAD. Even the clips of his auditions they showed he sounded bad. I don't get how he made the top 24....

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote