Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #151
Logan
Head Coach

The first girl singing seems smart.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #152
adubroff
High School JV

Not too much to write home from with the girls either....probably a little more depth here...Carly/Alaina/Syesha were the standouts for me. I liked Katy a lot more than the panel. Amanda was the clear trailer for me but the second loser is very debateable in my mind.

My rankings:
1. Carly
2. Alaina
3. Syesha
4. Katy
5. Joanne
6. Asia
7. Alexandrea
8. KCook
9. Ramela
10. Brooke
11. AMyDavis
12. AmandaOvermeyer
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #153
korme
Go Reds

I thought Kady Malloy was excellent, really surprised about the reactions from the judges.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #154
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Is there anywhere I can watch tonights show online, or if I miss it am I shit out of luck?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #155
korme
Go Reds

adubruff, interesting- think your doin a severe injustice to Ramiele

also- Alexandre wins the award for best turnaround in the looks department

Last edited by korme : 02-20-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #156
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by adubroff View Post
Not too much to write home from with the girls either....probably a little more depth here...Carly/Alaina/Syesha were the standouts for me. I liked Katy a lot more than the panel. Amanda was the clear trailer for me but the second loser is very debateable in my mind.

My rankings:
1. Carly
2. Alaina
3. Syesha
4. Katy
5. Joanne
6. Asia
7. Alexandrea
8. KCook
9. Ramela
10. Brooke
11. AMyDavis
12. AmandaOvermeyer

Don't quit your day job. Amanda? She was top 5 or 6, and one of the few distictive voices the show has ever had. If they lose her early it would be a major disappointment.

The girls were over-the-top better than the guys. I honestly wish they'd drop 4 guys instead of cutting any of the girls, because the bottom 2 girls are better than at least 6, maybe even 8, of the guys.

I just couldn't get over how the judges were killing some of the girls performances that were better than any of the guys performances. Kady would have won the night against the guys, yet they all panned her. Alexandrea showed a lot of personality, and yet Simon kills her. Don't get it.

Kristy was disappointing tonight, and so was Carly. They didn't shine like I hoped (for Kristy) or expected (for Carly). Amy Davis had the worse performance, followed by Joanne. Yet, I'd say both just had off nights, and both have potential to improve. I can't say that for 80% of the guys.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #157
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Amanda was so bad tonight, I broke out the comparison to Sanjaya doing You Really Got Me. It was that bad. She doesn't have a distinctive voice - what she has is an annoying, affected attempt to sing like Janis Joplin and other bluesy, barroom-type singers. But she has no voice of her own...she's just singing like somebody else, and doing it poorly. That performance was an out of tune, horrible, screaming mess. I've heard death metal singers with a better sense of melody.

I desperately want a rocker to do well and continue on in this competition, but she is terrible.

She was so bad, I don't really have much to say about the others. A couple did well, most were blah. I disagreed with Simon on that Lushington chick, thought she was decent.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #158
Ksyrup

Agree with GD on Amy Davis. I thought it was bad at first, but it got worse during the recap. And her recap seemed to go on for 10 seconds longer than everyone else's, too.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #159
Ksyrup

This looks like a boy band put together from the cast of an after school special. And they all look like they're 5-10 years older than they should be.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #160
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Ramiela, Asia, Carly and Syesha were solid. The rest were either original and crappy (Amanda, Kady), confident and crappy (Alaina, Alexandrea, Amy) or timid and crappy (Joanne, Kristy, Brooke). Kristy was the most disappointing and I was literally afraid she would forget the next line during the entire song.

Was it better than the guys? yeah - mostly because of the last 3 performances. Up to that point, I was seriously thinking they might have even been worse. From a group that's been touted with all this experience, this top 24 looks like the greenest so far.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think Tivo will be our best friend for the next 3 weeks. There are going to be some dreadful performances. Then again, maybe the 60s theme has an impact on this. My hope is they will be better with more shows and a more current theme.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 PM   #161
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Then again, maybe the 60s theme has an impact on this. My hope is they will be better with more shows and a more current theme.

I think this has a lot to do with it. I've been extra-interested in Idol the last two days, mostly because of the '60s theme. You see, I happen to be in a '60s Tribute Band (shameless plug: www.oldschoolrocknroll.com ), so watching these kids perform has been very interesting, to say the least. I can very much relate to younger people having to perform music that they don't know, and might not care for. I'm 26, and this band is playing music that I was at least familiar with, but in no means was I well-versed in before I started playing. I think this has a lot to do with why I think that the cover of Happy Together was phenomenal...that's a song that I lead sing

Having to tackle songs and styles from a completely different era is difficult enough when you have a template to do it (tribute style); to have to take someone else's music and make it your own and/or contemporize it is another step entirely. These are also kids who are largely new to the music scene (although everyone's touting this group as experienced because of past record deals and such, their performances to date have shown anything but experience).

I'd expect the performances to get better from here on out.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 02-20-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 AM   #162
Jim G.
Grizzled Veteran

Tonight's roundup posted. Definitely a hard one to write.

http://www.solecismic.com/frontierblog/?p=234
Jim G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:49 AM   #163
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
As others have said, the first night is usually rough, but I'd have to say this was by far the worst first night of any season.

Do you remember last year's first guys night? Now THAT was a disaster...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:51 AM   #164
Ksyrup

Two constants every year:

AI: This is the most talented group ever!

Fans: That was the worst set of performances ever!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:03 AM   #165
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
IHaving to tackle songs and styles from a completely different era is difficult enough when you have a template to do it (tribute style); to have to take someone else's music and make it your own and/or contemporize it is another step entirely. These are also kids who are largely new to the music scene (although everyone's touting this group as experienced because of past record deals and such, their performances to date have shown anything but experience).

I agree, and you know why I think this is? It's that most of these people are singers, not musicians. This is why I enjoyed Rock Star so much...most of those singers, while not great, were actively involved in arranging the songs they performed. Here, most of these contestants haven't done anything but sing songs they like, or sing songs they don't know at someone else's direction. Carly may have "experience," but her first attempt at an album in 2001 was so bad, they scrapped it and brought in 2 guys from The New Radicals to write another set of songs for her. The point is, she probably has barely more "experience" with arranging songs than Alaina Whitaker.

Jason Castro stood out not just because he performed with an instrument, but because it was clear that he had a vision for what his song choice should sound like for him, and not what his family/friends or Ricky Minor thought was best for him. Ricky Minor and whatever other vocal/song coaches they have for this show are probably more responsible for the crappy performances we see than the contestants are. And it's because only a few of these people know enough to be able to take control of their performance, instead of just doing what someone else suggests. That's why Brent or Bert or whatever his name was from last year stood out, because he knew what he wanted to do with the songs he chose, and he went entirely outside the box to do it. As a result, the fans responded. Daughtry was the same way, except he was smart to pick songs that had already been covered by rock groups and just copied their arrangements.

As much as I hate that Josiah kid's style, maybe he would have been good for this show, because he appears to have the talent/ability to arrange stuff. It's just that in his case, everything he'd arrange would sound like Snow Patrol. But you can bet he'd be telling Ricky Minor what he wants, not just sitting there being told what would be best for him.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #166
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
adubruff, interesting- think your doin a severe injustice to Ramiele

also- Alexandre wins the award for best turnaround in the looks department

Agreed. I'd have Ramiele in my top 3 vocal performances of last night which I thought were generally disappointing. The other 2 who I thought did well were Alexandrea and Carly. Alaina and Brook were ok and everyone else was forgettable or terrible. I was disappointed with Kristy's performance.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #167
Ksyrup

I thought Kristy's look was as a disappointing as her performance. I think she should stick with the natural look, instead of all the makeup and styled hair. And for someone whose has sung in front of big crowds before, she seemed the most affected by nerves.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #168
MJ4H
Coordinator

Carly and Alexandrea were my favorites tonight. It really wasn't very close, either. Oh, the one right before Carly, Syesha maybe? Lots of potential there. A couple of others have a shot at doing some good, maybe Brooke. Lots of disappointment, with the rest, though.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #169
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Could there be a more boring show and group of people on television right now?

I may have to delete this mess and pass on Pumpy's bone. Tough call here.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #170
Ksyrup

You started a thread about a show you don't want to watch, and when others are discussing it, you now want to delete it? LAME.

Anyway, on to the spoiler part of my post, the DialIdol results:

Spoiler
Old 02-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #171
rkmsuf
Head Coach

OH, I WANT TO DELETE IT.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #172
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
OH, I WANT TO DELETE IT.

I know you do, El Lame-O.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #173
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I know you do, El Lame-O.

Hey, I don't call you names for obsessing over this horrid show.

Don't make me come down there for you, sizzle chest.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #174
Ksyrup

Just back away from the thread with your hands where I can see them. Now turn and slowly walk away, and don't ever look back.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #175
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You started a thread about a show you don't want to watch, and when others are discussing it, you now want to delete it? LAME.

Anyway, on to the spoiler part of my post, the DialIdol results:

Spoiler

I'm surprised that the 10th place person is that low, otherwise, no surprises. Also, I forgot to mention that I also liked Syesha's performance. It wasn't a great song, but she performed well and you can tell she has potential.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #176
Ksyrup

Ha! This was posted by someone on another board I post at:

"I worked with Chikezie Eze. He quit to go on American Idol. GOOD FUCKIN RIDDANCE! We liked to refer to him as Chikazy Lazy. One of the most useless sombitches I have ever had the misfortune to know."
Old 02-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #177
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Amanda was so bad tonight, I broke out the comparison to Sanjaya doing You Really Got Me. It was that bad. She doesn't have a distinctive voice - what she has is an annoying, affected attempt to sing like Janis Joplin and other bluesy, barroom-type singers. But she has no voice of her own...she's just singing like somebody else, and doing it poorly. That performance was an out of tune, horrible, screaming mess. I've heard death metal singers with a better sense of melody.

I desperately want a rocker to do well and continue on in this competition, but she is terrible.

She was so bad, I don't really have much to say about the others. A couple did well, most were blah. I disagreed with Simon on that Lushington chick, thought she was decent.

+1000

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #178
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Agreed. Amanda was my 2nd biggest disappointment last night and I wouldn't be surprised if she went home tonight.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #179
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Agreed. Amanda was my 2nd biggest disappointment last night and I wouldn't be surprised if she went home tonight.

Not gonna happen. Way too many people thought she was good. I think she may outdo Danny as the lightning rod of the competition. My guess is he becomes the comic relief contestant, and she becomes the love/hate contestant. I expect her to turn in one or two good performances, but if her high energy performances are all going to be like last night, I'm going to choke on my own vomit or declare myself a lesbian in protest of her continuing on the show.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #180
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
. I expect her to turn in one or two good performances, but if her high energy performances are all going to be like last night, I'm going to choke on my own vomit or declare myself a lesbian in protest of her continuing on the show.

Can I delete this shit then?
Old 02-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #181
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Can I delete you?
Old 02-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #182
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Can I delete you?

Depends what you mean by "delete".
Old 02-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #183
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Depends what you mean by "delete".
I might mean "hatefuck."
Old 02-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #184
Ksyrup

Quote:

Only if you promise to wait until my wife reads the note in my wallet and officially notifies the board that I'm dead.

If I declare myself a lesbian, I'll post pictures in this thread, guaranteeing that it will be deleted.

So either way, you win.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #185
rkmsuf
Head Coach

and then I get hatefucked by pumpy.

man, how depressing
Old 02-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #186
Ksyrup

Cheer up, I'm sure pumpy will hatefuck you long before I die.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #187
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Cheer up, I'm sure pumpy will hatefuck you long before I die.

Is there an over/under on that?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #188
MJ4H
Coordinator

Top 3 Girls:
1. Carly
2. Danny Noriega
3. Alexandrea
Old 02-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #189
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

So he starts the thread. Complains about the show. Keeps watching the show, complains some more. Then threatens to delete the thread.

I think someone has HA complex...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #190
Drake
assmaster

My wife pointed out to me that Danny Noriega bears a striking resemblance to Jessica Alba.

I'm pretty horrified by this revelation.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #191
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
My wife pointed out to me that Danny Noriega bears a striking resemblance to Jessica Alba.

Horrified, but strangely aroused?
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #192
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

Thank her for ruining the rest of my 20's
Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #193
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Is there an over/under on that?

I'm pretty sure Pumpy likes it on top.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #194
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Thank her for ruining the rest of my 20's

She already ruined my 20's, so I suspect she's just going to find that flattering.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:32 AM   #195
Thomkal
Head Coach

well Colton was a mild surprise to go home over Chikieze, but otherwise no surprises with the other three. And I can't believe no one's talked about Paula Abdul's return to "glory".
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #196
MJ4H
Coordinator

That was an easier FFWD than the commercials were, honestly.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #197
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
well Colton was a mild surprise to go home over Chikieze, but otherwise no surprises with the other three. And I can't believe no one's talked about Paula Abdul's return to "glory".

Yes. No real surprises there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
That was an easier FFWD than the commercials were, honestly.

That would have been for us, except for some odd reason, my wife wanted to watch it. Afterwards, she wished she hadn't.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #198
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I was at least hoping that the Paula Abdul thing would be a different song. I had already heard it once at some point during the Super Bowl pregame a couple of weeks ago. Strangely, it had a completely different video then. Anyway, Paula still has some pretty good dance moves, but why does she sound like a robot during that song? How much did they process her voice? Ghastly.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #199
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
So he starts the thread. Complains about the show. Keeps watching the show, complains some more. Then threatens to delete the thread.

that's right

I still may delete this mutha.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #200
Ksyrup

Good choices to go home. I thought Simon's shot at Colton was unnecessarily harsh, and made the show look bad for putting him in the top 24 to begin with. How can they go through hundreds of auditions, pick a guy, and then have Simon say that he shouldn't keep trying to sing because he has no chance at a career? Then again, my guess is that this was Simon's way of saying "I was right and you were wrong" to Paula and Randy for choosing Colton over that geeky Kyle guy. But I kinda felt bad for Colton that Simon made that kind of comment to him, instead of making a comment about the other two choosing the wrong person. At least it wouldn't have been so direct and harsh. But hey, that's Simon.