Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #401
Logan
Head Coach

It's a good thing we have the vigilante scouring the internet (or our own board) for other people's impressions to cross-post.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #402
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It's a good thing we have the vigilante scouring the internet (or our own board) for other people's impressions to cross-post.

Especially when they're not even from the game that is being brought down.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #403
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that post was about Madden. Glad I didn't buy that game. Can't wait to buy Head Coach.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #404
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yeah, that post was about Madden. Glad I didn't buy that game. Can't wait to buy Head Coach.

I'm also glad....I almost caved but just kept thinking it's only two weeks....now it's only one!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #405
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm so hyped now to buy Head Coach! I can't believe it isn't out yet, or even a demo on the 360! Come on EA!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #406
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

QFT

It's almost like he enjoys it when he finds something broken about an EA game. He might be my first ever forum member I put on ignore, not because I don't like him.. shoot, he's a fellow Mizzou fan, but I don't want him pointing out stuff that I would never notice or care about and ruin the fun.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #407
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola.. and the waiting for HC is good.. probably be best to wait for the patch before seriously starting a career.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #408
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
QFT

It's almost like he enjoys it when he finds something broken about an EA game. He might be my first ever forum member I put on ignore, not because I don't like him.. shoot, he's a fellow Mizzou fan, but I don't want him pointing out stuff that I would never notice or care about and ruin the fun.

Or it could be that I made a mistake and misunderstood the post. I deleted it out.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #409
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'm so hyped now to buy Head Coach! I can't believe it isn't out yet, or even a demo on the 360! Come on EA!

You aren't missing much on the demo. I've played it on the PS3. It's just preparation for a game. You don't get to do a free agent period or any drafting. Those were the main things I was hoping to try out with a demo. But what is in the demo doesn't disuade me at all from buying the game.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #410
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Or it could be that I made a mistake and misunderstood the post. I deleted it out.

You don't understand...it's your incessant need to point out the flaws that others are finding in EA's games that caused you to make that mistake. Do you really think EF27, a long-time board member with a ton of posts, and who clearly enjoys giving his OWN thoughts on games, would post (what you thought was) a huge Head Coach bug in a Madden thread when he's been involved in this thread too?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #411
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You don't understand...it's your incessant need to point out the flaws that others are finding in EA's games that caused you to make that mistake. Do you really think EF27, a long-time board member with a ton of posts, and who clearly enjoys giving his OWN thoughts on games, would post (what you thought was) a huge Head Coach bug in a Madden thread when he's been involved in this thread too?

He hasn't given a single one of his own thoughts on either one of the Madden/HC games you are mentioning any more than I have. He's doing nothing more than I've done, which is post impressions from various sites. Seems perfectly legitimate to me, but evidently you find fault in that.

I deleted the post and admitted my mistake. My apologies if that's not good enough for you.

BTW, thanks for clarifying EF27. It's appreciated.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-26-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #412
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
You aren't missing much on the demo. I've played it on the PS3. It's just preparation for a game. You don't get to do a free agent period or any drafting. Those were the main things I was hoping to try out with a demo. But what is in the demo doesn't disuade me at all from buying the game.
Not quite correct sir. You play the first game of the season against the Bears too. And, while you can't do the offseason free agency, you can go and see what that is like and be able to see how the trading works. In the one demo game I played, the Bears signed Anthony Wright and started him at QB and signed Shaun Alexander to be the HB.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #413
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
Not quite correct sir. You play the first game of the season against the Bears too. And, while you can't do the offseason free agency, you can go and see what that is like and be able to see how the trading works. In the one demo game I played, the Bears signed Anthony Wright and started him at QB and signed Shaun Alexander to be the HB.

That was my point. You don't get to do the full-blown free agency period.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #414
Flasch186
Coordinator

its a demo.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #415
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
its a demo.

LOL. Did I not make that point? I stated that the demo was limited and that the 360 users weren't missing much. I also stated that I liked everything that was in the demo. Am I missing something here?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #416
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
LOL. Did I not make that point? I stated that the demo was limited and that the 360 users weren't missing much. I also stated that I liked everything that was in the demo. Am I missing something here?
Well, in your statement, you just said it was prep work. You never said you could play a game. That was my beef.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #417
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Olympia View Post
I am hoping the stand alone version of Head Coach due out in September will have all these problems fixed.

At $45 is there any reason to wait?

Madden NFL 2009 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition - PS3 only - $44.98 at Target
Madden NFL 2009 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition - PS3 only - $44.98 at Target B&M YMMV - SlickDeals.net Forums

I scored on this deal.

I just bought a ps3.
So I didn't have any copy of Madden anyway.
(cheaper then the normal version.)

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #418
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

I've been playing this for a week or so, and find that I'm mostly simming the weekly games (unless its the playoffs) and concentrating more on the GM part of the game. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but playing routine weekly games just takes too long. I also seem to do better when I sim the games, rather than play them.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #419
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Damn I want this game. Damn.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 08-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #420
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just preordered this today during my lunch break, and the clerk asked, "why don't you buy Madden's Collectors Edition, it has both games?" I told him I thought Madden was too bug ridden, and he said, "I haven't heard about any bugs from a single customer." I told him if I bought that edition, it would only have been to get Head Coach early.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #421
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I just preordered this today during my lunch break, and the clerk asked, "why don't you buy Madden's Collectors Edition, it has both games?" I told him I thought Madden was too bug ridden, and he said, "I haven't heard about any bugs from a single customer." I told him if I bought that edition, it would only have been to get Head Coach early.
Funny, I was in a Gamestop last week to look for a used version of Head Coach and when he asked why didn't I buy the Collector's Edition, I told him the reasons why I wouldn't, including the Sliders being borken and he seemed shocked that someone wouldn't bow down to Madden the Almighty.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #422
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbo View Post
I've been playing this for a week or so, and find that I'm mostly simming the weekly games (unless its the playoffs) and concentrating more on the GM part of the game. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but playing routine weekly games just takes too long. I also seem to do better when I sim the games, rather than play them.

I also have been simming. I don't mind playing out the games, but I find it takes too long as well, at least for me and my available play time. I really wish that you could save in the middle of a game. When I only have maybe an hour or to play each night, taking over an hour to play the game is a bit rough for me.

It is kind of funny because after years of playing FOF and the like, I always wished for a graphical representation of gameday, but now that I have it I kind of prefer simming anyway.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #423
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
Funny, I was in a Gamestop last week to look for a used version of Head Coach and when he asked why didn't I buy the Collector's Edition, I told him the reasons why I wouldn't, including the Sliders being borken and he seemed shocked that someone wouldn't bow down to Madden the Almighty.

I was asking about used copies of HC09 in EBGames a couple days ago, and the guy said that even if people had traded them in (which they hadn't), he would not have been able to sell them anyways. Apparently they can't sell used copies until after the game is officially released on its own.

To that, I say booooooo.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #424
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
I was asking about used copies of HC09 in EBGames a couple days ago, and the guy said that even if people had traded them in (which they hadn't), he would not have been able to sell them anyways. Apparently they can't sell used copies until after the game is officially released on its own.

To that, I say booooooo.

I asked on madden release day if I could start a list for when they bring HC back and he told me also they couldn't sell them until released. Then he tried to push the CE down my throat, I left the store.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:35 AM   #425
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's why the fuck I wanted to break jbmagic's keyboard. It gets fuckin tiresome.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #426
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Finally found a good deal and picked this game up. Found the CE version of Madden on clearance for $48 at Target. I had a $10 gift card, so I picked the game up for $38 and sold my friend the Madden 09 game for $20. So I ended up getting HC for pretty cheap. Hopefully I'll have a chance to play it tonight.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #427
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
I asked on madden release day if I could start a list for when they bring HC back and he told me also they couldn't sell them until released. Then he tried to push the CE down my throat, I left the store.

That's his job.

All in all, Madden actually isn't that bad of a game. Not perfect. Franchise screwed up beyond belief. Some stupid quirks they should have fixed years ago. But not bad.

Head Coach is incredibly fun. I'm going to wait until the patch to start a serious career. Until then I've been going through FA, drafts and week one. I'll usually play 3 "week 1 and 2 games" with the roster I built up. They don't know all of the plays, but with the Broncos you open up against the Raiders and play the Chargers in week 2, so you get a good taste of a bad and good team to go against.

I'll start with the on the field game. I raise the HB slider WAY up and the run blocking up about 10 and have very little trouble with the ground game. I traded up and drafted McFadden and in three games against the Raiders he had 24 carries, 125 yards (long of 23), 14 carries 52 yards and 20 carries 140 yards (broke off a 65 yard TD run, 19 carries for 75 yards not counting that). Against the Chargers he had 18 carries for 47 yards, 23 carries for 113 yards and 13 carries for 59 yards.

I don't have much of an issue with the QB's. The passing game seems to be good. (though I REALLY wish you could ORDER your QB to throw it to your number 1 WR. There are times I know Marshall will get one on one coverage and Cutler will still throw it to the TE)

The off season? Sensational. Unbelievably well done. I can't tell you how deep this thing is and all of the things that happen. Now that I know what I'm doing, I can spend 3 to 4 hours on the offseason and the draft, then do it all over again without playing a game. I've played through the offseason with 10 to 12 teams and have had a blast with every one of them.

There are a few minor problems. The Dolphins will give me the 32nd pick for John Lynch everytime. Older players who are rated highly still get you really good picks, even at weaker positions. (I can also get a 2nd for Nalen) You can also get 2nd round picks for great kickers. (Elam, Hanson, Akers)

So if you're the Broncos and want to load up on the '08 draft, trade Lynch, Nalen (sign Faine in the FA period for your center), and Elam. You'll have the 12th pick in the draft, the 32nd, the 42nd and two more second round picks. With those you can move up if you desire, trade down and load up for the '09 draft or load up on a lot of solid players. (in one draft I ended up with McFadden ('09 first round pick, 32nd pick and 3rd rounder to the 10th spot) Clady (my 12th pick) and Phillips (I traded my two highest second rounder to move up and get him)

Of course, if you play that way, be careful of the salary cap implications. It will get rough.

One tip I can give everyone: When trading, never, ever, ever take the first offer. Go back and forth. Let the clock run out on a trade. For instance with Elam, I went through 4 trade negotiations for him and they go better each time. The first time teams were offering 5th round picks or worse for him. I asked fora 3rd. They didn't budge, I exited. By the time I finally dealt him, 1 team was offering a 2nd and 2 other teams were at a 3rd.

Most exciting moments in the game thus far:

1) San Diego at Denver: A handfull of big plays kept me in the game. Down 24 to 23, I have the ball at my 15 with 6 minutes left. I drive up the field and kick a FG. San Diego drives right back up the field and gets to the 22 yard line. It's going to be a 39 yarder to win the game for the Chargers. I call a time out to freeze him. kep plunk. Off the up right. The upstart Broncos upset the Chargers to go 1-1. (yeah, I was crushed by the Raiders the previous week)

2) I want Mendenhall in a draft. The mock draft says he's going 22 or 23. The Lions offer me a great package to move to 15. (they throw in a 2nd round '09 pick) I figure three spots and I'll still get the guy I want. Then it flashes across the screen. . . they picked Mendenhall. Ugh. I actually slumped on the couch. FM is about the only game I've ever done that with.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #428
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

I've deliberately tried to stay out of this thread, but this post by TroyF and others really has me wavering. I'll probably grab this at some point to support the effort, sounds like they've really made some strides.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #429
rowech
Pro Starter

demo is up

NFL Head Coach 09 Demo Available Now for Download - Xbox

Last edited by rowech : 08-28-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #430
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Maybe I'll give it a whirl and drop my NCAA 08 Campus Legend career. Ended the season with a 117 agility, and at the start of the next season it took care of the overflow and gave me a freakin' 4, sending me from 99 OVR and starter back to 5th string and 80 OVR...
Old 08-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #431
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

YES YES YES!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #432
Izulde
Head Coach

Watching Felix Jones rip off a 78 yard TD run in our second preseason game was a thing of beauty.

Cool thing. Matt Flynn, our 6th round pick, was originally slated as the backup to John Beck. He did okay in the first preseason game but was annoying me so much in the second preseason game that I pulled him in favor of Larry Drain, the UDRFA QB out of Illinois State who I found myself liking in the initial stages of scouting, before further scouting revealed him to be... not so good.

So what does Larry do? Goes on a tear, including 2 TD passes to, along with Ronnie Brown, lead us to a 35-31 comeback win over the Jaguars.

Needless to say, Drain's earned himself a shot at the #2 QB spot and I'll be keeping an eye on him as the season goes on. (Currently he's 57 to Flynn's 62 and Beck's 76).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #433
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

no news on a patch yet? I'm waiting to really get involved with HC until the patch is out....

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #434
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Watching Felix Jones rip off a 78 yard TD run in our second preseason game was a thing of beauty.

Cool thing. Matt Flynn, our 6th round pick, was originally slated as the backup to John Beck. He did okay in the first preseason game but was annoying me so much in the second preseason game that I pulled him in favor of Larry Drain, the UDRFA QB out of Illinois State who I found myself liking in the initial stages of scouting, before further scouting revealed him to be... not so good.

So what does Larry do? Goes on a tear, including 2 TD passes to, along with Ronnie Brown, lead us to a 35-31 comeback win over the Jaguars.

Needless to say, Drain's earned himself a shot at the #2 QB spot and I'll be keeping an eye on him as the season goes on. (Currently he's 57 to Flynn's 62 and Beck's 76).

That's what gives me that FPS Football feeling, ratings I look at first, then it's what you do on the field. I love being able to see that!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #435
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
no news on a patch yet? I'm waiting to really get involved with HC until the patch is out....

I think the standalone comes out 9/9 or something like that.. I would expect the patch, along with a roster update out around that timeframe. Then it's time to really put this game through its paces!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #436
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
You know what? I really hate that EA just seems to want to release a roster patch every year and claim it is a new game. I really hate that they don't want to patch any of their games after release, and seem content to rest on their laurels and not take any risks. God damn EA sucks.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #437
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
That's what gives me that FPS Football feeling, ratings I look at first, then it's what you do on the field. I love being able to see that!

Yeah I love Cinematic view.

Ronnie Brown singlehandedly carries us to a fairly comfortable (for Miami anyway) Week 3 preseason win in the second half. He's going to get the start for the final preseason game, as he's been even with or outperforming Felix Jones.

QB is going to be the big problem. John Beck threw 2 INTs in a quarter and a half, his 3rd pick of the preseason, so he got pulled for Larry Drain, who while making a couple nice plays, looked incredibly outmanned against the first team defense. Matt Flynn was again god-awful, so every chance I got, I had him run, since he's effective at it and I secretly hoped he'd get hurt.

Beck's going to get traded if I can find someone who wants him, I think. Drain is still intriguing the hell out of me and Flynn, well, he'll sit as the 3rd QB.

Our running game is looking really, really good with Brown, Jones and my feeding the ball to Regan Mailemula (sp) a handful or so of times a game (Yes, I'm trying to revive the actual running FB).

Regan drops too many damned passes, though. Our WRs it's been a little bit harder getting a read on, though Alge Crumpler has been an invaluable safety valve at TE and Ted Ginn, of all people, tore shit up in one of the earlier preseason games.

I noticed Renaldo Hill is a terrific run support guy on defense and Asi Ayomole (sp) has been a fantastic all-around guy at MLB, making me glad I traded for him. Rookie Glenn Dorsey recovered a key fumble and I think has made a sack or two. Lance Briggs has made some very nice plays as well.

Surprisingly quiet preseason from Jason Taylor, though and our pass defense is so horrific, every game so far has ended up a pretty high-scoring affair, as our superlative running game challenges the aerial assault of whoever the opposing team.

Matt Ryan actually looked pretty good as the Chiefs backup QB, but I still think he's going to end up a bust. On the other hand, he should be able to win the starting job at some point in the season (though I don't know if the CPU changes starters. Does it?)

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #438
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I think the standalone comes out 9/9 or something like that.. I would expect the patch, along with a roster update out around that timeframe. Then it's time to really put this game through its paces!

Yeah, I'd imagine around the time the standalone game comes out will be when we get it. At least it gives me time to work more on my sliders...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #439
JimboJ
High School Varsity

I know I'm coming into this late, and I haven't had time to read the whole thread but... Is this really only available on the Xbox 360 and PS3? WTF is up with that?? Or are there plans to release on other platforms later?
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #440
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post
I know I'm coming into this late, and I haven't had time to read the whole thread but... Is this really only available on the Xbox 360 and PS3? WTF is up with that?? Or are there plans to release on other platforms later?

Just 360 and PS3 this year. But EA has stated that they will bring their full lineup of sports titles to the PC next year.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #441
WSR
Mascot

Thanks for the Heads Up! I have been waiting for this demo to hit the 360!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:42 AM   #442
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Just played through the demo, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but it actually felt... intense! The way time progresses just totally keeps you on your toes. I had a really good time with the game, it definitely appears to deserve the praise it is getting.

That said, I have one MASSIVE beef that might actually prevent me from buying the game: there is a gigantic "Approval Rating" display in the bottom right corner that hardly ever disappears. If I play that game for as long as I can see myself playing something like that, I'll have a giant starburst approval rating number burned into my plasma within a few weeks. Not cool. When the hell are the people that create video game and TV interfaces going to start taking this into account? Plasma's are a reasonably large portion of the HD market. How hard would it be to keep that in mind? Why the hell do I need a giant starburst displaying my approval number AT ALL TIMES? Just foolishness, and it might cost them a sale (unless someone can calm my fears by saying there is a way to hide it or that it is less prominent in the full version or something).
Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 AM   #443
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I believe the game will be out next week, at least that is what they said at Gamestop when I preordered.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:04 AM   #444
TroyF
Coordinator

A few other tips for those interested:

With rookies, even undrafted ones, you want to hold onto them until you see the potential rating. It may take a couple of weeks, but it will be worth it if you find a guy who has great potential. In one of my games I had a walk on rookie free agent SS end up with an 80 rating and a potential of 87. The first week he was listed at a 63 rating. I toyed with cutting the guy and decided not to do it because I was just fooling around. Don't keep that 72 vet FB and let your 50 rated OLB without his potential unlocked go. You may regret it.

Special teams matter. Get good return guys. Make sure you have a solid kicker who can kick deep. We all know this in the real NFL as well, but in this game you see how critical it can be when you are starting at your 23 vs. your 34. Cribbs is usually cut in my games with the Broncos. I ALWAYS find a roster spot for him and I always am thankful I did after two games. (like last night when I beat the Chargers 34-31 and he had a kickoff return for a TD)

Get a good playbook. If your playbook is weak or average, pick again.

The CPU running game needs help. Bump up the RB ability slider all the way. Bump up the run blocking most of the way. I may even tweak my tackling downward. The CPU running game is one of the only flaws of the game. You can get your running stats up. The problem isn't so much that the CPU won't break off some runs. Or even have a consistent running game at times. It's the amount of runs for losses. LT had 23 carries in the game last night. He lost yardage on 8 of them. In the runs where he had positive yardage he had 15 carries for 68 yards (4.5 average) On the 8 other carries he lost 18 yards. that made his day 23 carries for 50 yards. If they could just find a way to make 6 of those loss carries 1-3 yard runs, the stats wouldn't be so bad. I'm still trying to tweak this and see if it can be fixed.

That said, I still can't find a true gamekiller. If I can't fix the running game, I'll intentionally use a weak defenseive playbook and hire a weak DC as a house rule and go from there. It's not like it's causing me to win every game. (quite the opposite, I'd say in my Raiders/Chargers test games I'm under ,.500 at this point. My fun factor with this game is off the charts. Please, oh please, let a text sim borrow a lot of these ideas someday. I love FOF and the improvements Jim has made over the years. But I have NEVER had as much fun with an offseason and/or draft in any text sim (including FM) as I have in this game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #445
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Does no one else have a plasma TV? I searched on the OS Head Coach forums and found only 1 other guy commenting about the static displays, and no one ever responded to him. Did I get a false impression about how often that approval rating number is on the screen? What about the other pieces of the HUD? Anyone here have HC+Plasma and had any concerns?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #446
WSR
Mascot

I'm sure it's been covered already, but I'm too lazy to scan through 9 pages of this thread, but what does the demo include? Does it allow me to actually play a game of (pre)season football, or is it only off-season moves?

I'm really interested in this game and will probably actually purchase it next week, but I just started a MBA program and I can't let gaming eat into my study time. (Maybe the fact that it is on the X360 is good since I don't usually play on the x360 until after the family has gone to bed for the night. Presumably, I can get my studying done before then!)
Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #447
Calis
College Starter

They really should have released this game on this Tuesday. The game is done, the majority of people have a long weekend coming up. This is a great week to release games.

I'm about to crack and buy the collector's edition tonight just to get it, because I can't seem to find Tales of Vesperia in stock anywhere around here and I'm not sure I can hold out until Sunday for Mercenaries 2.

Anxious to play it though.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #448
AgustusM
College Prospect

a couple thoughts

I have played out 20 complete games at full15 min qtrs so far, so something is right with the game.

Bottom line it is fun to play, the draft is fantastic, the scouting is really well done.

Further bottom line it is riddled with bugs and the workaround list needs its own prima guide.

Passing is WAY too easy. Pretty much every QB for any human control team can throw for 4,000 yards. I had Brady Quinn throw for the second most yards in history and pretty much every post I have seen has their QB throwing for 4,000+ yards. I don't even like to throw the ball preferring an old school run first philosophy, but...

Running is WAY too hard - 2.5 yards a carry is not good.

Fumbles are out of control - 5 a game on average.

Kickers can't make field goals beyond 29 yards and not only do they miss they come up 10 yards short. junior football kickers are better than this.

You can't call plays in 2 minute offense (it runs no huddle and calls the exact same play over and over without any option to audible)

Starting QB's play on the kickoff team which is a minor annoyance until they get hurt and then it becomes a major annoyance. Although no worries your scrup backup will throw for 300 yards a game anyway.

Injury bug, salary bug

The GM portion of the game is a blast to play and very well done. But if the bugs force me to sim games rather than play them out, and there is a 15 year cap - why wouldn't I just play FOF? I really want to love this game, it is so close to being great, but in typical EA fashion they screw up just enough of it to drive you crazy.

To be fair, most of the bugs are on the patch list, but as with all EA things, I will believe it when I see it.

Also I was already forced to scrap one season and start over because of the injury bug and I am afraid that I will need to do it again in order to benefit from the patch.

Yes all games have limitations, and this game is light years ahead of the crap that was the first Head Coach. But the mounting list of issues here is disheartening.

I know we should all know this by now, but seriously what is EA's beta testing policy, let one guys 5 year old play it for 30 minutes and then consider it gold?

Even further bottom line - the fanboyism on the OS boards is off the charts. anything pointing out the obvious errors is shot down with a flood of fanboy nonsense. The guys over there are so ecstatic that the developers actually respond (which is so uncommon with EA) that they overlook the fact that while they have talked about a patch, they have yet to produce anything. I am an admited fanboy on the OOTP forums, but that is because Markus has an almost 10 year track record of listening and addressing bugs. EA has an even longer record of counting their money while making the evil laugh sound.

Last edited by AgustusM : 08-29-2008 at 12:28 PM.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #449
Phototropic
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSR View Post
I'm sure it's been covered already, but I'm too lazy to scan through 9 pages of this thread, but what does the demo include? Does it allow me to actually play a game of (pre)season football, or is it only off-season moves?

I'm really interested in this game and will probably actually purchase it next week, but I just started a MBA program and I can't let gaming eat into my study time. (Maybe the fact that it is on the X360 is good since I don't usually play on the x360 until after the family has gone to bed for the night. Presumably, I can get my studying done before then!)
I know that you can play a game, Colts vs. Bears. I tried the demo and was pretty blown away by all the depth and features. I did realize that watching an entire game is not for me, but I have a lot of respect for the developers with everything they've included.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #450
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Does no one else have a plasma TV? I searched on the OS Head Coach forums and found only 1 other guy commenting about the static displays, and no one ever responded to him. Did I get a false impression about how often that approval rating number is on the screen? What about the other pieces of the HUD? Anyone here have HC+Plasma and had any concerns?

I took a look at the full game, I don't have a plasma so I never really paid attention (I've got an lcd). The approval rating does stay on the screen during the entire time you're on the coach clipboard area, including on pretty much all the menus (trading, ect). The only thing that I see you could maybe do is pause the game, which turns the approval rating into a pause sign instead but I'm not sure if that'd help or not. I don't see any way to turn it off either.

Even with the approval rating gone though, NFL.com and an EA sports logos are pretty much static on the main screen the entire time also. Pause just greys them out slightly.

And coaching a game, while I haven't tried the demo I don't believe its any different.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote