Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #1651
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

It's the day after. As a Memphis fan, I'm very disappointed. The Tigers could've won the game in regulation, and many would say that they should've won it in regulation. It wasn't only about missed free throws, and the reviewed Derrick Rose shot didn't mean a thing (I hate that the commentators kept bringing that up).

I think John Calipari was right on the money when he said afterwards that he didn't use his substitutes enough. Kemp and Mack probably didn't play as much as they should have. Kemp got some playing time in the second half, but he wasn't getting any opportunities to shoot. I don't recall seeing Mack at all in the second half or overtime.

I don't mean to take anything away from Kansas, because they obviously played well enough to keep Dorsey quiet all game and shut down Rose in the first half. The Jayhawks were in the game the whole way. Calipari just didn't put the Tigers in a position where they could finish the game off in the final two minutes. Of course the missed free throws hurt, but the players looked like they just didn't know how to protect a lead. Kansas put on some tight defense, and the Memphis players were too tired to handle it.

Congratulations to the Kansas players, coaches, and fans. Twenty years is a long time to wait for a championship, and the players fought hard to win this one. If the Jayhawks had given up at any point in the second half last night, Memphis wins the game pretty easily. Kansas never quit, and it paid off.

Sooooooo, is there a non-zero chance that Derrick Rose comes back to Memphis next year? Any at all? Even 0.0001%?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #1652
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Sooooooo, is there a non-zero chance that Derrick Rose comes back to Memphis next year? Any at all? Even 0.0001%?

Sorry Pumpy, I think there's a better chance of seeing me in a Tigers jersey than Rose next year.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #1653
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Truly, there is nothing worse than being a Mizzou fan in Kansas City the day after KU wins a national championship. It's a good thing that weapons generally aren't allowed in the workplace. The blood would run like rivers.

I'm glad that we don't have to hear the 'Big 12 has never won a basketball championship' comments anymore. But that doesn't make it any easier for the rest of us that have to actually co-exist with Beakers on a day like today.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 PM   #1654
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

the_meanstrosity, I forgot- do you live in Lawrence/Eastern Kansas? I know you're pretty much the only other Kansas fan on the board, but I forget if you live here (or maybe I never knew)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #1655
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I'm in Johnson County. Had I not been working last night, I would have been in Lawrence enjoying the atmosphere. Hope you had a great and safe time. I envy you, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
the_meanstrosity, I forgot- do you live in Lawrence/Eastern Kansas? I know you're pretty much the only other Kansas fan on the board, but I forget if you live here (or maybe I never knew)

SI
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #1656
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

{inane KU chatter- anyone else might want to just gloss over this and let the_meanstrosity and I enjoy ourselves }

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well, except for about 15 minutes- I got swallowed into the giant mess that went from about 8 1/2th to 10 1/2th on Mass. It was fun for about 3 minutes and then when I couldn't control where I was going, how much beer was getting dripped on my jacket, where my wife had been carried off to, etc- then it lost some charm. We then just met up and skirted along the edge of Mass, going between the numbered streets on Vermont.

I still just can't get over it today. Not only that we won but the way we won and how everyone, everyone had pretty much given up hope. I know a lot of people are talking about a choke and what not. But, man, there's the other side to it, the charmed, dream ending- like something you would do on a playground, setting up down by a fake 9 points with 2 minutes to go. It wasn't as surreal as the football season, but close...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #1657
Galaxy
Coordinator

I don't follow or watch women's basketball, but congrats to the Vols. 8 national championships for Pat.

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-08-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #1658
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, it's one of those "I never thought it would happen to Kansas" moments. You're so used to being on the other end of a "charmed moment" that it's a bit scary, lol.

Great game by both Memphis and Kansas though last night. Neither team's defense would let the other's offense really get on track. Even if Kansas lost last night, I would have been OK with it because Memphis was just so good. I don't remember which player said it, but watching those two teams was like looking in a mirror. Calipari is a great coach and he's going to get another chance...of that I have no doubt. CDR and Rose are going to make some serious money in the NBA. Memphis has no reason to hang their heads. They had an incredible season and one loss to end the season won't diminish what they did all year in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
{inane KU chatter- anyone else might want to just gloss over this and let the_meanstrosity and I enjoy ourselves }

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well, except for about 15 minutes- I got swallowed into the giant mess that went from about 8 1/2th to 10 1/2th on Mass. It was fun for about 3 minutes and then when I couldn't control where I was going, how much beer was getting dripped on my jacket, where my wife had been carried off to, etc- then it lost some charm. We then just met up and skirted along the edge of Mass, going between the numbered streets on Vermont.

I still just can't get over it today. Not only that we won but the way we won and how everyone, everyone had pretty much given up hope. I know a lot of people are talking about a choke and what not. But, man, there's the other side to it, the charmed, dream ending- like something you would do on a playground, setting up down by a fake 9 points with 2 minutes to go. It wasn't as surreal as the football season, but close...

SI
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #1659
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I don't follow or watch women's basketball, but congrats to the Vols. 8 national championships for Pat.

On the other hand, I've seen pretty much every televised game for the Lady Vols this season. And while I've followed them more closely since marrying into a UT family, I've actually been watching them since the 70's when they signed a couple of players from the area where I grew up. And this team was special.

I don't know that I've ever felt any more of an attachment to a team than this one. The personalities were so distinct, the concern they had for each other so obvious, the amount of effort & determination, and an amazing amount of respect for the tradition. Seeing players this talented -- a likely #1 overall pick, another near sure 1st rounder, and possibly as many as three more future pros -- focused on the name on the front, not the name on the back ... just an incredible experience & a joy to have watched them.

And did I mention
BACK 2 BACK
Old 04-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #1660
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Is this where we announce players going pro, too?

On UCLA, LA Times is reporting that Love and Collison are going pro and will hire agents, so they cannot return. Same report also says Westbrook has not yet decided, but that if he is projected to go early (some scouts project him in the lottery), he will go, too.

In fact, a whole ton of players could bolt. Josh Shipp's classmates (Farmar, Afflalo and Mata-Real) are now all done, so he could go. Mbah a Moute might test the waters. Alfred Aboya is considering not playing his senior year to pursue his Master's (probably at another school). And Dragovic could go back to Serbia to play pro ball.

Now, Shipp and the Prince aren't ready for the pros, so they should go back. But that's a lot of talent walking out the door, even then.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:35 AM   #1661
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Update:

LA Times may be jumping the gun, although Love and Collison going pro would be a surprise to exactly no one. Someone in the Love camp (his mom) told a local beat writer that report is false, and Collison himself told the same beat writer he hadn't even talked to his parents yet about this, much less made his decision.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-09-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:56 AM   #1662
Groundhog
Coordinator

Collison's struggles in the final four might drop him down in to the "late 1st-early 2nd rounder" category, so he might want to stick around and look to be the premiere PG in the 2009 class. Love would be nuts not to jump. Shipp and Westbrook should definately come back, doubt they are first rounders this year. Mbah a Moute might test the waters, but I don't really know what kind of an NBA player he'd project as to be honest.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:07 AM   #1663
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
On the other hand, I've seen pretty much every televised game for the Lady Vols this season. And while I've followed them more closely since marrying into a UT family, I've actually been watching them since the 70's when they signed a couple of players from the area where I grew up. And this team was special.

I don't know that I've ever felt any more of an attachment to a team than this one. The personalities were so distinct, the concern they had for each other so obvious, the amount of effort & determination, and an amazing amount of respect for the tradition. Seeing players this talented -- a likely #1 overall pick, another near sure 1st rounder, and possibly as many as three more future pros -- focused on the name on the front, not the name on the back ... just an incredible experience & a joy to have watched them.

And did I mention
BACK 2 BACK

I didn't get to see the game, but I listened on the radio whenever work would allow me. It sounds like Tennessee just swallowed up Stanford like a boa constrictor. Anosike (spelling?) was insane, with six steals in the first half. Stanford had cruised through the tourney with gaudy offensive performances over even quality teams like Maryland, but Tennessee just put the clamps down. 48 points for Stanford is a number I would never have guessed.

Pat Summitt rules. Congrats to the Lady Vols.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:10 PM   #1664
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Stanford's Trent Johnson has accepted the job at LSU. I'm glad to see anyone besides Tim Floyd get the job.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-09-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #1665
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I guess this is as good a thread as any for this. I can't believe Buzz Williams got the job at Marquette. I do not like Buzz Williams. I absolutely do not like Buzz Williams. Buzz Williams can go sit in the garbage.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #1666
st.cronin
General Manager

For the interested, I did not watch the championship game.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #1667
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
For the interested, I did not watch the championship game.

Didn't miss much. Just an unlikely comeback coupled with a miracle last second shot that will be replayed for the rest of eternity.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #1668
stevew
Hall Of Famer

congrats to Pat Summitt, she's one of the best college coaches not named John Wooden.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #1669
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
I guess this is as good a thread as any for this. I can't believe Buzz Williams got the job at Marquette. I do not like Buzz Williams. I absolutely do not like Buzz Williams. Buzz Williams can go sit in the garbage.

Wow. I must've missed this news somehow b/c I didn't know that Marquette hired someone.

I'm agree that Williams is a disappointing hire. Considering that the Big East is not just a power conference, but one of the better/more prestigious ones; you'd think that a good up-and-coming team from that conference would be more wanted.

I'm dreading the day when someone realizes how good Jay Wright is. It's only a matter of time before the Sixers or a top college basketball program tries to lure him away.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #1670
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:

Pumpy, your statement is about 1/100th as strongly as I feel about him. He's a scuzball, not surprising being a Gillispie guy, but he is.

However, our feelings about him at UNO are complicated. I don't hate him for leaving UNO, I just hate him for how he left -- burning bridges left and right and tossing our program under the bus in the process. Just as phony a person as there is in the world, but also not a particularly good basketball coach. From a pure basketball perspective I was thrilled he left, because we were going to be stuck with his mediocrity for a long time otherwise. I'm not surprised he fooled someone else into hiring him, but I'm absolutely floored that it was a Big East school.

I'm vacillating between being greatly amused at the idea of this retard matching "wits" with Pitino, Thompson, Boeheim, Huggins, et al on a nightly basis, and being angry that he'll be financially set for life in the process.

By the way Eaglesfan27, as for Tim Floyd, the move to LSU was never going to happen. That was a pure MrBug myth. No way Floyd was ever going to take over at a school that just fired his best coaching buddy. We're hoping very much that he will bring USC down here to open the new Lakefront Arena next season. Long shot, but the fingers are crossed here.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote