Favored Bitch #1

The official 2008 MLB thread

Ask and you shall receive Ksyrup

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Astros are gonna rock teh w0rldz!

Should be a good offensive year. And we have Oswalt. Then we have the 42 year old pitcher who isn't Clemens and isn't on steroids, in the rotation. Goodluck Woody.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Go White Sox, please don't suck again!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Someone please plunk Billy Crystal.

Thank you.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Yuck the Fankees and Joe Girardi. Trying to bean Longoria, threw right at his head and then spike Aki. And this was all premeditated because he started a prospect instead of Pettitte and left ARod and Jeter home so they wouldn't be involved.It should be a fun season between them and the Rays
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Girardi was looking for something to "set a new tone" with the Yankees, jumped on the first opportuinty he saw, and totally got it wrong. Hard to make the most hated team in the world even more hated, but...good job, Joe!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Ksyrup

Here's that SABR primer I posted in the other thread. This is a really good read:

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008.../stats-i-like/
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Anybody else realize that Kauffman Stadium will be the 5th oldest stadium in the majors once the current new stadiums under construction are complete? Granted, Kauffman is getting a $250M facelift over the next couple of years, but I was surprised at how much stadium turnover has occured in the past 20-25 years. There's been some stadiums that were built after Kauffman that have already been replaced by another stadium.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Go Nats!

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
Ksyrup

Can somebody tell Sandy Duncan to shut the fuck up? Seriously, his "wha, me?" horrendous acting job pisses me off. Just own up to it. Even if it lengthens your suspension, who cares? You're fucking Sandy Duncan - your team doesn't need you. In fact, that's probably why you got chosen (along with some no-name pitcher) to retaliate in the first place, because they won't miss you.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
Ksyrup

From Olney's blog:

• Multiple talent evaluators are saying that Houston shortstop Miguel Tejada looks absolutely terrible this spring, and they can't see him finishing the year at his current position.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
Ksyrup

So, Felix Pie has a testicular torsion. WTF? I could swear that's a Cradle of Filth B-side!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

haha. one at bat crystal. suck it.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #14
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Too bad they weren't playing the Rays so Kazmir could've stuck one in Crystal's ear.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #15
Ksyrup

I don't get the outrage over Crystal. I saw Tom Selleck take an AB with the Tigers years ago. What's the big deal? Didn't Garth Brooks log over 40 ABs with the Royals?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't get the outrage over Crystal. I saw Tom Selleck take an AB with the Tigers years ago. What's the big deal? Didn't Garth Brooks log over 40 ABs with the Royals?

Just rubbed me the wrong way when I saw the coverage. It's not a big deal. Just not a big crystal fan and find it funny all the hoopla over a one at bat. Geez at least let him DH for a couple at bats.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #17
rkmsuf
Head Coach

And I would have found it ultra funny if someone plunked him.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #18
Ksyrup

Yeah, they should have let him play in the field and get a couple of ABs. I almost thinnk they shortened it because of all the attention.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, they should have let him play in the field and get a couple of ABs. I almost thinnk they shortened it because of all the attention.

I think they got the attention they wanted, got people to show up and ripped them off with one lousy at bat. Of course most of the people there probably thought it was so charming that it didn't matter.

Of course that's kind of the whole theme of preseason baseball anyway. Money making machine.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 03-13-2008 at 02:00 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #20
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Yankees should have Jim Carrey show up as Horton for a couple at bats.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #21
Ksyrup

Yankees sell out every game they play in ST - although I don't know, was today a home game or not? Usually they sell out regardless.

And Jim Carrey would have been outside the batters box with those feet he was wearing.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #22
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Cardinals signed Kyle Lohse, but don't seem too happy about it.

Quote:
"If it were a perfect world, we wouldn't have had to go down this path," general manager John Mozeliak said Thursday. "But it's not and we're going to need someone to pitch every fifth day.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nothing new about Crystal playing, goes back at least to 1974 when country music HOF'er (and father of MLB'er Curtis) Charley Pride went 1-2 for the Rangers against the Orioles, singling as a DH against Jim Palmer.

http://www.planetgarth.com/news/article.php?cid=01093
Old 03-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #24
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Cardinals signed Kyle Lohse, but don't seem too happy about it.

Should help max out Lohse's confidence!
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 AM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here's that SABR primer I posted in the other thread. This is a really good read:

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008.../stats-i-like/

Shameless Joe plug. Easily one of the best writers in the country. Unfortunately, with him splitting time between the blog and articles, it seems like the quality of the newspaper articles has gone down a bit.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mika and Mike reporting the Red Sox players may boycott the Japan games because the players and coaches were supposed to get 40K each and the coaches now aren't getting that much.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #27
miami_fan
Coordinator

Fat Boy About To Get PAID!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3307289

Quote:
KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers reached a preliminary agreement Saturday on an eight-year, $153.3 million contract extension, a source close to Cabrera told ESPNdeportes.com on condition of anonymity.

The All-Star third baseman will undergo a physical on Monday to complete the deal, the source said.

"Miguel just signed a big contract," said the source. "The contract will be completed when Miguel takes a physical on Monday."

Overall, it would become the fourth-richest contract in baseball history. Cabrera would trail Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez ($275 million), Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter ($189 million) and Boston outfielder Manny Ramirez ($160 million) in the total salary package listing.

Cabrera's contract is also the richest in Tigers' history. Magglio Ordonez had the previous record when he signed with Detroit for $75 million and five years in 2004.

Cabrera, 24, was eligible for arbitration in 2009 and could become a free agent after the season ended. He will earn $11.3 million in 2008, and then an average of $19 million per year through 2016.

Cabrera and pitcher Dontrelle Willis joined Detroit as part of a trade with Florida in December. The Marlins received a package of six players, including two highly rated prospects: left-hander Andrew Miller and outfielder Cameron Maybin.

Cabrera, one of the game's top sluggers, joins an imposing lineup that includes Ordonez, Gary Sheffield, Carlos Guillen, Ivan Rodriguez, Curtis Granderson and Placido Polanco. The Tigers also acquired shortstop Edgar Renteria, a five-time All-Star, in a trade with Atlanta this offseason.

Ace Justin Verlander said just having Cabrera around has been a positive for the team.

"What stands out to me is his personality around the clubhouse," Verlander said. "Everybody knows how good of a ballplayer he is, but he's also great around the clubhouse and is a good teammate."

Slugger Gary Sheffield said signing Cabrera to a long-term deal shows the team is comitted to winning now and in the years to come.

"He's a future-type player," Sheffield said. "Anytime you can get a player with that amount of years on this team, you're looking at multiple championships."

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #28
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Can someone explain to me the BoSox/Dodgers schedule? I know the BoSox play the A's in Japan. Then they fly to LA to play one game. Why? And then they go to Oakland to play 2 starting the very next day. The BoSox/LA game doesn't make sense.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #29
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Can someone explain to me the BoSox/Dodgers schedule? I know the BoSox play the A's in Japan. Then they fly to LA to play one game. Why? And then they go to Oakland to play 2 starting the very next day. The BoSox/LA game doesn't make sense.

Being played in the Coliseum. In front of 100,000 fans. With the setup similar to the warped setup they had when the Dodgers played in the Coliseum in the late 50s and early 60s before Dodger Stadium was built.

Plus, it's Dodgers-Red Sox--even with interleague now, they don't play too often.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #30
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But why not play a series (like the two with the A's)? Sounds like they are treating this like an exhibition game that counts. Odd.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #31
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
But why not play a series (like the two with the A's)? Sounds like they are treating this like an exhibition game that counts. Odd.

They're playing 3 games against the Dodgers and they are exhibitions.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #32
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Sorry if I'm missing the point, but it is an exhibition game. It doesn't count. It allows the team to play a few more ST games after the return from Japan to stay sharp. Also, they're playing 3 with the Dodgers, and just one is at the Coliseum.

I think that's the point here, going to Japan to start the season IS a disadvantage (at the risk of starting that whole argument again), so the traveling teams get to call a lot of the shots. If I'm the Red Sox, I want some exhibition games back here before I start up the regular season.

And it's good for MLB, in that they'll be able to encourage teams to take these crazy trips in the future. If the Sox started the regular season right away, and went 0-3, it'd be blamed on the Japan trip, whether that was the reason or not. That would make teams more reluctant to go in the future.

Last edited by molson : 03-24-2008 at 09:34 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #33
molson
General Manager

I'm pretty fired up about 4:00 AM baseball in the mountain time zone.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #34
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

The view from my seats for this year: http://www.santantonio.net/photos/holding/135b.jpg

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #35
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ok, I'm confused. You mean to tell me that they play the A's in Japan to start the regular season and then they play more ST games?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #36
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Ok, I'm confused. You mean to tell me that they play the A's in Japan to start the regular season and then they play more ST games?

They'd be at a disadvantage in their first games back from a road trip like that. So they get to shake off the jetlag and rust in a couple of spring training games (and note that they also have far less spring training games than any other team because of this trip, so that's another potential disadvantage).

Maybe you disagree, but that's why they're doing it. It's part of the negotiated deal for the trip, a condition surely asked for by the Red Sox and/or Oakland.

Last edited by molson : 03-24-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #37
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Sorry to belabor this but I am not questioning opening in Japan and the schedule adjustments as the result, but here's what I see in viewing the BoSox's regular season schedule:

Played games
Regular Season
DATEOPP.RESULT/TIMERECORDWIN/LOSSSAVE
Mar 25@Oak6:05 AM
Mar 26@Oak6:05 AM
Mar 30@LAD4:10 PM
Apr 1@Oak10:05 PM
Apr 2@Oak10:05 PM
Apr 4@Tor7:15 PM
Apr 5@Tor1:07 PM
Apr 6@Tor1:07 PM
Old 03-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #38
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Cool. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:19 AM   #39
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hoy Crap!

I expected the train wreck that is Mike and Mike to be on ESPN 2 when I woke up and instead got real baseball. Woohoo!!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #40
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That's the fun thing about having Papi and Manny right next to each other in the lineup
Old 03-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #41
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dola: And a not-quite-bad-enough-which-means-good-enough performance from Papelbon means that the Sox are 1-0 on the year.

(BTW, Fuck DirecTV. They had a problem with their NESN signal for the first seven innings, which torpedoed me Tivoing the game)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-25-2008 at 08:54 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #42
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Amazing. I just logged on to the computer and went to GameCenter just in time to see the final out. Sounds like they gave the fans their yen's worth.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #43
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Dola: And a not-quite-bad-enough-which-means-good-enough performance from Papelbon means that the Sox are 1-0 on the year.

(BTW, Fuck DirecTV. They had a problem with their NESN signal for the first seven innings, which torpedoed me Tivoing the game)

That wasn't the only channel there were problems with today, so sounds like it was a bigger issue then that.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #44
Ksyrup

Yeah, I couldn't figure out the DTV thing for quite some time. Watched the first inning in HD in the living room, but couldn't get it on the regular channel in the bedroom. I was having problems with getting any kind of signal on the DVR in the bedroom, not just ESPN2. Finally, they restored other channels and put a message up about 209, but by then I was already at work. I'd have been pissed if I didn't have HD and was trying to watch the game on the regular ESPN2.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #45
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
That wasn't the only channel there were problems with today, so sounds like it was a bigger issue then that.

Sunspots!

(I'm not really kidding.)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #46
Ksyrup

I going to go out on a limb and say that Jason Varitek didn't enjoy his trip to Japan...

0-for-8, 6 Ks
Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #47
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I going to go out on a limb and say that Jason Varitek didn't enjoy his trip to Japan...

0-for-8, 6 Ks

Ortiz was 0 for japan as well.

Tek needs to learn how to get hit by pitches.

Nice job not trading for Santana. Sox had a chance to be dominant for a few years. Now they are the same as the Yankers.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Let the preseason hype begin. Royals are 15-11 in spring training! Woot!
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #49
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I bet my friend $50 that the Pirates would lose 100 games or more this year...easy money!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #50
lungs
Pro Rookie

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03262008...nue_103510.htm

The Mets are enticed by Claudio Vargas, the human rain delay. He won't be a horrible fifth starter but the Post makes it look like the cheap Brewers were just dumping his salary which is not the case at all. Claudio was our 7th best starter, that's why he was released. Why pay a guy $3 million to pitch in AAA?

If the other option for the Mets is Jorge Sosa, I can definitely see the merits of picking up Vargas. But I'll warn any Met fan that on Vargas' best of best days, 6 innings is all you'll get. Usually it was 5 innings strong before imploding in the 6th.

On the plus side, Vargas showed up to camp in great shape and had a decent spring. But I still think he'd be better served being a long reliever. But he can pass as a 5th starter.

BTW Met fans, Guillermo Mota has looked fabulous
And you won't regret non-tendering Johnny Estrada.

Let the games begin already!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote