Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #151
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Matt Cain is going to lose every game 1-0. SOB!!!

you and me both.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #152
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Isn't that what happened last year too? Cain finished with an ERA+ of 122 and a W/L of 7-16.

Lincecum is also going to suffer similar fate, I'm afraid.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #153
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Isn't that what happened last year too? Cain finished with an ERA+ of 122 and a W/L of 7-16.

Lincecum is also going to suffer similar fate, I'm afraid.

Yes, this year will be worse though. We have ZERO offense.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #154
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Yes, this year will be worse though. We have ZERO offense.

But we have a whole roster full of gamers!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #155
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I'm unconvinced that Bob Melvin's decision to bat Eric Byrnes 3rd should be taken as an assumption that a) Byrnes is the best hitter on the Diamondbacks or that b) they will be outscored this season. Chris Young will be better than Byrnes, Conor Jackson has a reasonable chance to improve, and Justin Upton could very easily follow his brother's career path a little sooner than anticipated. Eric Byrnes could be the fifth best hitter on the team...and STILL bat third.

Excuse me, sixth best hitter. Forgot about Micah Owings.

I think it's a moot point anyway - either Upton or Jackson will move ahead of Byrnes in the batting order by June.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #156
kingfc22
Head Coach

The Giants scored a run!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #157
kingfc22
Head Coach

Yea right. April Fool's!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #158
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We lose to Kip Wells!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #159
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, in the case of Ethier, Kouzmanoff, Gordon, and Zimmerman, you have young players who are supposed to do far better this season.

On the other hand, if you look at those that I counted in the "better" group several of those are at least possible suspects to finish with worse numbers than the Byrnes line (although they might not hold on to the 3rd spot in the order if they do).

I think Abreu, Griffey, and Sheffield could slip beneath that due to either age or injury, and Hamilton, Markakis, and Barton are all still fairly inexperienced & could conceivably go in the wrong direction (not expecting it or predicting, just saying it could certainly happen). And Chipper isn't exactly the most durable guy in the majors.

So it seems to me there's at least as many reasonable candidates to go backwards towards Byrnes numbers as there are those who would seem likely to move solidly ahead of them.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-01-2008 at 11:19 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #160
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I'm unconvinced that Bob Melvin's decision to bat Eric Byrnes 3rd should be taken as an assumption that a) Byrnes is the best hitter on the Diamondbacks or that b) they will be outscored this season. Chris Young will be better than Byrnes, Conor Jackson has a reasonable chance to improve, and Justin Upton could very easily follow his brother's career path a little sooner than anticipated. Eric Byrnes could be the fifth best hitter on the team...and STILL bat third.

I think it's a moot point anyway - either Upton or Jackson will move ahead of Byrnes in the batting order by June.
I'll go one further. After the all-star break, Conner Jackson (.926 OPS), Chris Snyder (.889 OPS), Mark Reynolds (.840 OPS and Chris Young (.823 OPS) were all better hitters than Byrnes. And that doesn't count a guy like Hudson who matched Byrnes and guys like Stephen Drew and Justin Upton who may have the most talent on the team.

I'd be shocked if Byrnes is a top 4 hitter on the DBacks this year by the numbers. But, he hits third because nearly everyone else is in their low 20s and prone to some inconsistencies.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #161
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This is also one of my favorite times of the year.

Good bounce back tonight for the Halos against the Twinkies. We scored in bunches and Garland looked terrific in getting the win. Only Angel starter to not get a hit was Torii, poor guy. He did get a nice welcome from the Twins' fans last night, though, and his Gold Glove ceremony tonight.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #162
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post

Most stats analysts picked the Dbacks to either win the west or the wild card last year, so the fact that they did that wasn't surprising, it was how they did it. With a young lineup that should take a step forward, a healthy Tracy, and adding Haren they shouldn't be in the same situation they were last year in terms of run differential.

Its a good team. Its a team with a young offensive foundation, but they were lucky that their growing pains weren't reflected in their record last season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #163
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, so someone please explain to the guy who has "been away" for a bit about some of the stats being thrown out there. What is OPS+ 112? ERA+ 122? What happened to .900 OPS and 2.50 ERA? Thanks.

As for the Astros, at least they scored a run tonight. They lose 2-1 to fall to 0-2. For a team who's strength is supposed to be hitting it sure is an odd first two games. That is one reason baseball can be fun though I guess.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:23 AM   #164
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Ok, so someone please explain to the guy who has "been away" for a bit about some of the stats being thrown out there. What is OPS+ 112? ERA+ 122? What happened to .900 OPS and 2.50 ERA? Thanks.

OPS+ and ERA+ are normalized for both park and league with 100 being league average (and bigger numbers being better). Its a solid way of quickly comparing players across eras and leagues.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 AM   #165
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

gracias
Old 04-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #166
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

For those who may not know it, baseball-reference.com is a great place to check box scores and stats for the current season. The box scores are awesome - not only do they give you everything you normally would get, but you can click on each player's AB link and get a pop-up box that tells you exactly what they did in each AB for that game. And for pitchers, you can click on their IP link and see their line score for each separate inning. And on the main page, they give you the top hitters and pitchers by game score. Pretty cool.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #167
Buccaneer
Head Coach

We'll see how Greg Maddux do and if he do his typical solid outing, I'll be clammering for the Pads to go old-school with a 3-man rotation. With the way Peav and CY pitching, Pads don't need no offense.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #168
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok.............jbmagic?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #169
Calis
College Starter

I love the beginning of the season, where a Royals fan like myself can look at our 2-0 record, and those wins over Detroit no less and entertain the idea that we've got a shot.

Great start though. I might also add that I wish every game was an afternoon game, because using gameday audio to listen to it at work really helped the afternoon more pleasant.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #170
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
We'll see how Greg Maddux do and if he do his typical solid outing, I'll be clammering for the Pads to go old-school with a 3-man rotation. With the way Peav and CY pitching, Pads don't need no offense.

I agree with Cringer. Is jbmagic back??
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #171
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hope Harden stays healthy this year, he has been nasty so far
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #172
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

jb, is that you?

Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #173
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I'm only watching on gamecast, but this game he doesn't look so great - has been bailed out by the sox, I'd say (whip around 2)

i am watching the game. He looks nasty.

Last edited by Lathum : 04-02-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #174
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Fair enough. Is he just inconsistent? He might get pulled after 86 pitches through 5 and 4 walks.

he had a rocky first inning where he loaded the bases but settled down nicely. For the most part he has been challanging the pitchers and overpowering them badley.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #175
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
But seriously, I'm 0-5 and wondering how they have assembled such large amounts of waste.

Let's use an analogy.

The Baltimore Orioles are a toilet, see.

Peter Angelos? He's got diarrhea.

I'll let flere draw you the picture if that ain't good enough.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #176
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Oh man, that's low. I've got to learn not to post anything while I'm getting ready to leave for work in the morning. Now if I just remember what I was trying to say....aww, shit, forget it.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #177
Captain2711
High School JV

I can't believe anyone on the Yankees could honestly think Mike Mussina could be counted on this year
Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #178
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Ugh, welcome to the Brandon Lyon era DBacks fans. One night, he strikes 2 out for the save, the next night a 3-run HR. I have a feeling Tony Pena will be the closer by May.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #179
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Astros pull it out against the Padres in the top of the 9th for their first win. Very nice and finally. Just when the hitting started to get going a little it looked like the pitching would fail, but the hitting pulled it out.

Two outs in the top of the 9th with no one on, Hoffman pitching. Cruz Jr. gets the pinch walk, Bourn with a single, Pence with a single to bring in the tying run, then BOOM! Berkman gets a three run homer to go up 9-6 and the Astros close it out in the bottom of the inning. Nice to see a win in San Diego, I was begining to think they would sweep us.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:44 AM   #180
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh Pierre. That is why you...suck
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #181
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Another game-winning homerun by Zimmerman. Even if we end up at the bottom of the East, this is going to be a fun year.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #182
Buccaneer
Head Coach

1 frickin' strike away...again. This shit's getting old.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #183
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yay first win for the the Jays! Halladay and Burnett looked solid in their first starts. But now it's the other three starters that have to prove they can be counted on (Burnett too, as he probably has another start or two in him before he gets injured).
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #184
Ksyrup

Phillies off to a solid start...top of the 4th vs. the Nats, and they already have 4 errors!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #185
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Royals continue to stay hot. Alex Gordon hit his second homerun of the year. 2-0 Royals through 4 innings.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #186
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Ugh, welcome to the Brandon Lyon era DBacks fans. One night, he strikes 2 out for the save, the next night a 3-run HR. I have a feeling Tony Pena will be the closer by May.

What do you mean, ugh? It was pretty sweet from up here.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #187
korme
Go Reds

Cueto's final line is 7 ip 1 h 1 er 0 bb 10 k

Not bad for a debut, the only hit was a homerun.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #188
Ksyrup

Phillies games are all going to be 4+ hours this year.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #189
Butter
Coordinator

Cordero with the closeout of the db. Nice opening series by the Reds.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #190
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

2 run homer in the first inning for the Padres. Looks like a good start for the Astros.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #191
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Why was Colome still in there?! 4 balls in a row after 3 hits?

Phils finally get a win. Bastards.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #192
Scarecrow
College Prospect

The Detroit Tigers are on pace to score 162 runs this season - a long way from their projected 1000.

And they played 3 against the worst team in baseball (per ESPN).
Old 04-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #193
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Cueto's final line is 7 ip 1 h 1 er 0 bb 10 k

Not bad for a debut, the only hit was a homerun.

I just picked him up for my fantasy team so expect his numbers to plumet
Old 04-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #194
Ksyrup

Tigers aren't going to score 1000 runs. Maybe the Yankees will, but that's about it.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #195
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

anyone know why Cabrera didn't play today?
Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #196
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yankees won't either. They had 968 last year, and Posada will not have nearly as good a year as he did last year. I also assume that A-Rod will be a little bit (but not too much) worse than last year.

Though it was nice to see the Royals sweep through the Tiggs.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #197
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Tigers aren't going to score 1000 runs. Maybe the Yankees will, but that's about it.

Its been done once in the past 55-60 years, so I seriously doubt any team does it this year. Espcially the Tigers since they play in a slight pitchers park.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #198
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

anyone having trouble getting onto mlb.com?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #199
Ksyrup

Mike Hampton scratched...WHODATHUNKIT?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #200
Zē+
High School JV

I consider myself an avid baseball follower, but I haven't seen this before, and am unclear on the rules. In tonight's Pirates/Braves game, an Atlanta pitcher started the inning pitching, then moved to left field for a batter, then came back to the mound and pitched again. Was this permitted because he didn't technically leave the game? And if so, why isn't this technique utilized more often (the defensive shortcomings can't be THAT great, especially for just one batter). Any of you grognards have any insight?

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Zē+ is offline   Reply With Quote