Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #201
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Okay I like trash talk as much as the next guy but the Wizards REALLY need to shut up.

Seriously. They were trying to start shit with LeBron pre series....now that he's shit all over them, they still want to whine like douches.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #202
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

If this were the 2007 playoffs, we'd have had a ton of suspensions by now, based on the on-court altercations that have already gone down.

The NBA, where inconsistent happens.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #203
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Kobe Bryant was brilliant last night.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #204
rjolley
College Starter

Looking at that video, I think it was handled just fine on the court and really doesn't warrant more action from the front office. Will they step up and try to make a point based on the heated exchanges from other series? Who knows. But that looked a lot tamer than the hard fouls from Kidd or Stevenson and deserves nothing more than a tech.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #205
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Williams and Perkins took one step away from the bench. It's not even close to what Amare did last year, not even close. Suns fans really need to let that go from last year. Amare deserved the suspension

As for the picture, the ref was trying to restrain him, I doubt that will get the suspension.
Here's the exact rule:
Quote:
Any player or coach guilty of intentional physical contact with an official shall automatically be suspended without pay for one game. A fine and/or longer period of suspension will result if circumstances so dictate
http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_e....av=ArticleList

There was certainly "intentional physical contact" from Garnett on the ref in that video. According to the rules, there is no leeway for personal interpretation. Again, the point here is to point out how inconsistent Stern has been when it comes to suspensions. IMO, he shouldn't suspend anyone, but I thought the same thing last year. If you are going to suspend Boris Diaw for moving off the court towards the scorer's table because of a "rule", I don't see how KG shoving an official in the middle of an altercation should be excused with a similar rule.

Last edited by Arles : 04-29-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #206
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Here's the exact rule:

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_e....av=ArticleList

There was certainly "intentional physical contact" from Garnett on the ref in that video. According to the rules, there is no leeway for personal interpretation. Again, the point here is to point out how inconsistent Stern has been when it comes to suspensions. IMO, he shouldn't suspend anyone, but I thought the same thing last year. If you are going to suspend Boris Diaw for moving off the court towards the scorer's table because of a "rule", I don't see how KG shoving an official in the middle of an altercation should be excused with a similar rule.
Again, KG's one argument is that the official was grabbing him from behind and it wasn't "intentional physical contact" because he didn't know it was a ref. Worked for me in court.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #207
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The other thing is the way the rules are stated, the rule about leaving the bench is an automatic suspension no matter what. Most if not all other cases there is room for commissionerial discretion.

No question Stern is inconsistent with how he uses that discretion.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #208
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
The other thing is the way the rules are stated, the rule about leaving the bench is an automatic suspension no matter what. Most if not all other cases there is room for commissionerial discretion.

No question Stern is inconsistent with how he uses that discretion.
I agree with the last statement. Here are the exact rules from the NBA rulebook:

leaving the bench
Quote:
During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $35,000.

making contact with a ref
Quote:
Any player or coach guilty of intentional physical contact with an official shall automatically be suspended without pay for one game. A fine and/or longer period of suspension will result if circumstances so dictate.

They both have no discretion in terms of a non-suspension. Only this two and connecting with a punch have the auto suspension. Even fighting situations have this out:
Quote:
A fine not exceeding $35,000 and/or suspension may be imposed upon such person(s) by the Commissioner at his sole discretion.

So, again, according to the rules, Stern has no more discretion with punching a player or making intentional physical contact with a ref than he did with the leaving the bench penalty.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #209
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Seems as though the wiggle room for Garnett on the ref contact might be in the defintion of "intentional physical contact".

It's pretty obvious that he made intentional physical contact with someone (unless he has an uncontrollable condition that causes him to close his hand around someone else's wrist). That someone happened to be a ref.

So, in the finest tradition of "what the definition of "is" is", the question would seem to become whether it would have to be proven he knew it was a ref, or if the responsibility is on him to make sure it isn't a ref.

And before anybody thinks I'm lobbying in either direction out of homerism, I'd be somewhat amused if an 8 beat a 1 but I'm not exactly what you'd call a big Hawks fan either, so I'm not particularly inclined to invest much energy in worrying about whether KG is suspended one way or the other.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #210
Arles
Grey Dog Software

yeah, it's like last year's "what's the vicinity of the bench" statement. I just don't see how Stern could be consistent and not suspend Garnett.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #211
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Well, it looks like Stern finally did make the right decision:

Quote:
The Boston Celtics and Atlanta Hawks escaped discipline for a Game 4 skirmish in which Kevin Garnett pushed off a referee while players on both benches stepped onto the court.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said Tuesday there would be no fines or suspensions. Four technical fouls resulted in a game Atlanta won 97-92 to tie the best-of-seven series at two games apiece.

Celtics center Kendrick Perkins and Atlanta forward Marvin Williams acknowledged they stepped onto the court as they strained to see what was going on. Such actions are barred in the NBA, especially with commissioner David Stern looking on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=3374218

It's just a shame the league couldn't have used the same common sense last year.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #212
MrBug708
Head Coach

USA Today had the final NBA stats in todays edition.

The Lakers ended the season with SIX players with more than 200 assists this year.

No one else had more than 4 players.

On New Orleans, ONLY Chris Paul was over 200.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #213
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah they're all passing to ball hog Kobe. Kidding kidding!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #214
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Man, if I was a Suns fan I would be PISSED all over again about last year's suspensions.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #215
JeeberD
General Manager

Fucking bullshit that the Rockets-Jazz game is on NBA TV, which we don't get here. Probably all the better, though. They seem to play better when I'm not watching...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #216
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not a Suns fan and think this is a HORRIBLE decision by Stern. There's no point whatsoever in having a rule if you aren't going to enforce it.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:43 PM   #217
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I think it's the right decision. The rules have to be followed with a touch of common sense. If anything, Pachulia should be suspended for intentionally head-butting Garnett.

That being said... they now lose credibility because of their inconsistent ruling of what constitutes as a violation when stepping on the floor is concerned. (last year, Amare, took ONE STEP towards the floor before immediately sitting down... and he got suspended.)
Old 04-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #218
JeeberD
General Manager

Rockets force a game 6 with a dominating win in Houston...

Old 04-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #219
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not a Suns fan and think this is a HORRIBLE decision by Stern. There's no point whatsoever in having a rule if you aren't going to enforce it.

Agreed!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:19 AM   #220
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess this is where you and I disagree. It is either the rule or the enforcement last year on the Suns that was horrible. This decision in a vacuum is clearly the correct one.

(Can I say how odd it is to have JimGA arguing leniency while others go the absolute respect to authority and rule of law route. )
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:35 AM   #221
Jas_lov
College Starter

Mike D'Antoni has been fired.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:41 AM   #222
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

SI exclusive, apparently.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ml?eref=sircrc

I'd wait for the official announcement though.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:39 AM   #223
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Rockets force a game 6 with a dominating win in Houston...

Utah wants another home game for revenue purposes
Old 04-30-2008, 05:55 AM   #224
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I guess this is where you and I disagree. It is either the rule or the enforcement last year on the Suns that was horrible. This decision in a vacuum is clearly the correct one.

(Can I say how odd it is to have JimGA arguing leniency while others go the absolute respect to authority and rule of law route. )

The rule is absolutely horrible as well.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #225
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

It will be interesting to see who they bring in.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #226
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

After watching the Suns-Spurs last night, I am increasingly convinced that there is no need to change the intentional foul rule. Free throw shooting is as much a basketball skill as anything else. If a player can't make free throws, then it is up to his team to decide whether his other skills compensate for that deficiency. There really is no need to make rules to compensate for skill deficiencies. If the Suns drop their throws last night, they probably win that game, but there can't be rules made to make up for a player's lack of skill.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #227
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nah. I was just saying what I figured the argument would be (and apparently the one that won out), not what I thought they ought to do
Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #228
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I can buy that it's a bad rule. However, during the off-season any owner including Robert Sarver could have suggested it be changed. Nobody said a thing during the meetings of the competition committee. All I'm saying is, if there's a rule with no ambiguity and no room for interpretration clearly stated as such, you make a mockery of it by not enforcing it. This idea of using 'common sense' when the rule makes no allowance for such just doesn't make any sense at all to me. I don't even understand the point of having rules at all in the first place if everything is going to be up to the commissioner's ever-changing whim regardless of what the rule actually states.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-30-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #229
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Utah wants another home game for revenue purposes

As we're probably the only team in the league to not have a losing record in Utah this year, I like our chances...

Old 04-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #230
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

This is the part where the Cavs fire Mike Brown between playoff series, and bring in D'Antoni.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #231
MikeVic
Head Coach

Who's out there for the Suns?

I hope the Raps bring him in.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #232
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #233
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Yes, do it.

Is that a jigsaw piece on his jacket?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #234
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
In Garnett's defense, it doesn't look like he ever sees who is grabbing his arm before he pushes him away.

That is totally not true. Watch the video again.

Garnet is pulled back, the ref steps right in front of him and clearly Garnet sees him before coming back toward the group. That's when he pushes the ref away.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #235
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Good god what puzzle would Isiah be the final piece to?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #236
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
As we're probably the only team in the league to not have a losing record in Utah this year, I like our chances...

You would probably be wrong then
Old 04-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #237
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I can see Phoenix and Dallas switching coaches.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #238
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

I hope the Raps bring him in.

I would like D'Antoni for the Raptors too but I don't think Mitchell can be blamed for this season on his own. Colangelo has to surround Bosh with much better talent or it doesn't matter who is coaching the team.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #239
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #240
miami_fan
Coordinator

Mavs fires Avery Johnson

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3375306

Quote:
The Dallas Mavericks parted company with coach Avery Johnson on Wednesday, a day following the team's first-round exit from the NBA playoffs.

Speculation about Johnson's future with the franchise had been mounting for weeks, ever since Dallas struggled to reach the playoffs as the seventh seed following its midseason acquisition of point guard Jason Kidd from New Jersey.

Johnson became Mavs coach during the 2004-05 season and walks away with a 194-70 record (.735), but only a 23-24 mark in the playoffs and 3-12 in the postseason since Dallas was dismantled by Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals.

New Orleans wrapped up a 4-1 series rout of Dallas with Tuesday night's 99-94 victory.

"This is tough for me," Johnson said after the game, not specifically responding to a question about his job security but struggling to contain his disappointment after the Mavs' second straight flameout in the first round.

NBA front-office offices sources told ESPN.com that both the Mavs and Johnson, feeling that a coaching change was inevitable, wanted to come to a resolution quickly so Dallas could begin interviewing candidates and Johnson could pursue another job.

The New York Knicks and the Chicago Bulls have openings.

Sources close to the situation have said that Mavericks owner Mark Cuban actually considered firing Johnson before the playoffs, specifically after Cuban and Johnson engaged in an emotional argument after a March 18 home loss to the Lakers.

Cuban refused to speak with reporters after Tuesday's loss at New Orleans -- Dallas' ninth playoff defeat in a row on the road since taking a 2-0 lead in the 2006 Finals.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #241
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

He could probably pick up another 14 year old in that outfit.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:08 PM   #242
Groundhog
Coordinator

Mavs and Suns both made big mistakes. In neither case was it the fault of the coach. The Suns over the past couple of seasons have traded away far too many assets in the name of cost cutting, leaving the team with a 7-man rotation.

The Mavs have suffered from a mix of their high profile players not performing and the fact that they traded away so much depth to get Kidd.

If either team - Phoenix in particular - thinks there's another coach out there right now that can do better than the guys they had, good luck to them.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #243
Logan
Head Coach

Caron Butler hits a shot to put the Wizards up 1 with 4 seconds left. I'm totally impartial...did he not take about 7 steps on that shot?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #244
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Lebron should be making shots like that, doh. On to Game 6.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #245
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Caron Butler hits a shot to put the Wizards up 1 with 4 seconds left. I'm totally impartial...did he not take about 7 steps on that shot?

Yeah, it definitely looked like he took an extra step or two. But then again, Lebron does get away with it all the time too.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #246
Subby
lolzcat

LeBron went and got bitchslapped by Darius Songaila.

Ain't that somethin'...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #247
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the refs in the BOS - ATL series have been HORRIBLE
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #248
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

reminds me of why I hate the NBA. I feel like more than in any other professional sport, the referees have this desire to "insert themselves into the game" or affect the outcome of the game. And there's just ZERO consistency - some of the blocking fouls called tonight were straight-up charges for example.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #249
molson
General Manager

I think the NBA game is the hardest to officiate - I watch replays and I still have no clue what the right call is a lot of the time, especially in a block/charge situation.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #250
stevew
Hall Of Famer

like the reffing in college basketball is any better, really. I know it's frustrating how many reputation calls get made in an NBA game. I'd like to think that they get 95 percent of the calls right, though. Nothing is going to be 100%, look how much stuff gets missed on the football field, for instance.

Except for Violet Palmer. Fuck that bitch.

Last edited by stevew : 04-30-2008 at 10:31 PM.