Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #351
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It is simple. Beat the first guy and force the defense to either stay at home and let you have an easy layup or shot. Or they can provide help defense and the person who is open should be making his way toward the basket. Utah with Stockon and Malone were known for this... The problem I saw with LeBron was he would make his move with the intention of passing and not attacking the basketball.

Except that if the defense fears your drive more than your shot and commits to giving you a cushion, you aren't going to consistently get past that first guy. Also, against good teams a perimeter player will rotate into the lane to cover the help defender, so what is open is a pass back outside(watch any SA-PHO game from the last few years for examples).

As far as Stockton-Malone ... their most common result was an open shot for Malone of the type that LeBron is missing against Boston.

Quote:
I meant killer instinct. But you have a valid point which makes last season's run to the finals so odd. How did he do it last season but not this season?

They have someone different personnell this year, first of all(their rebounding and perimeter defense are both down as a result). Secondly, they played nobody as good as Boston in getting to the finals last year. Thirdly, against the Pistons he was making his jumper somewhat more often than he is now(espescially of course in Game Five). Fourthly, Gibson was providing outside shooting.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-08-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #352
Vince
Pro Starter

At the risk of being an absolute jerk, it's "dominant," not "dominate." Dominate is a verb.

That being said...even terrible NBA players can hit open shots. If LeBron is beating one guy and having 2-3 sag on him, that leaves only 1 or 2 defenders not paying attention to LeBron - and he's still taking the majority of the shots on the team (24 tonight, with 2nd best only 12 shots taken). He needs to pass the ball more if they're so focused on him, crappy supporting cast be damned.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #353
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

The Spurs are annoying.. That's all I got.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #354
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
At the risk of being an absolute jerk, it's "dominant," not "dominate." Dominate is a verb.

That being said...even terrible NBA players can hit open shots. If LeBron is beating one guy and having 2-3 sag on him, that leaves only 1 or 2 defenders not paying attention to LeBron - and he's still taking the majority of the shots on the team (24 tonight, with 2nd best only 12 shots taken). He needs to pass the ball more if they're so focused on him, crappy supporting cast be damned.

Well, you're not being a jerk, but rather taking ultra-small forcepts and plucking a piece of plankton out of an ocean full of them.

As far as LeBron goes...dude needs to get out of Cleveland. It reeks of Maravich or Archie Manning status. He needs to play out this contract, and then go play for Brooklyn Nets, who by that time will have Devin Harris, no Vince Carter, and possibly a few awesome draft picks.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 AM   #355
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2008 lebron is settling. 2007 lebron had a chip on his shoulder. The cavs will never do anything till they get another legit player. If that day ever happens, they will probably win 3-4 titles in 5 years.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #356
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Ergh... No. If it were Micheal Jordan, Kobe, Larry Bird or any number of great players they would have found a way to make the Celtics pay. So what is your experience with the NBA other then sitting on your ass and watching. I am going to guess none.

When I said we have common ground, I meant in relation to you talking out of your ass (as anything I say in here would be coming out of my ass too).

That said, I still think you're wrong.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #357
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Man the Cavs suck. When you have Wally World and Delonte West starting for you, you got problems.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #358
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
When I said we have common ground, I meant in relation to you talking out of your ass (as anything I say in here would be coming out of my ass too).

That said, I still think you're wrong.

Ok then. Thank you for playing.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #359
st.cronin
General Manager

One of the reasons I find the NBA hard to watch at times is that so many teams, when they are down by, say, 12 points in the 3rd quarter, just visibly give up. Even in the playoffs.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #360
MrBug708
Head Coach

I was having a conversation with a firend and we were talking about the elite players in the NBA right now. The subject of the three best NBA players came up and I picked Kobe, Lebron, and Chris Paul. He argued that Duncan and Garnett and even Wade still belong ont he same tier. Was wondering everyones thought on that subject
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #361
Logan
Head Coach

They're still top tier, but those 3 would probably be 4-6 behind the guys you listed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #362
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think Duncan and Kobe are the top tier with LeBron, Paul, Garnett, and Wade just behind them. Howard belongs in that conversation as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #363
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I think Duncan and Kobe are the top tier with LeBron, Paul, Garnett, and Wade just behind them. Howard belongs in that conversation as well.

I think in years past, I would agree, but Manu carried that team this year, not Duncan. He's obviously a valuable piece to their success, but I think he's starting to drop at this point. I'm not saying he isn't a surefire HAOF, I think that he's probably not quite the same player he was before. I think that he's in the next tier still
Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #364
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I was having a conversation with a firend and we were talking about the elite players in the NBA right now. The subject of the three best NBA players came up and I picked Kobe, Lebron, and Chris Paul. He argued that Duncan and Garnett and even Wade still belong ont he same tier. Was wondering everyones thought on that subject

I think it would be Kobe, Chris Paul, LeBron (despite my berating his performance last night) I think Wade was there but has fallen to the tier just underneath those three.

Tier 1 : Paul, Kobe, LeBron
Tier 2 : Wade, Howard, Duncan, Garnett, McGrady(Barely)

Just my two cents.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #365
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think in years past, I would agree, but Manu carried that team this year, not Duncan. He's obviously a valuable piece to their success, but I think he's starting to drop at this point. I'm not saying he isn't a surefire HAOF, I think that he's probably not quite the same player he was before. I think that he's in the next tier still

I totally disagree with this, but it is a popular sentiment this year. There is still a HUGE difference between the impact Duncan and Manu have on the games. For the last four years, Duncan's minutes have been down from what they were prior to that in the regular season, but his numbers this year(34.0 mpg, 19.3 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.8 apg, 2.0 bpg) are right in line with what he's done over that four-year period. His FG% is down from an outstanding year last year but is about what it was the two years previous and his FT% has not been higher than this year's 73% except in 99-00 and 01-02.

As for Manu, he missed twice as many games as Duncan did(8 to 4). He scored more than Duncan this season but when you add in all the other things that Tim does -- he's the basis for the Spurs team on both ends of the floor far more often than Manu is -- it really isn't even close.

I'd put Kobe, LeBron, and, Duncan in the top tier with Garnett, Howard, and Paul close behind them. Everybody else you could throw in there(Wade, McGrady, etc.) has issues. If Paul keeps playing like he has he'll move up to the top, ditto for Howard and KG if he comes through in the playoffs this year.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #366
MrBug708
Head Coach

Not going to argue with the premise of your argument as I think Duncan is one of the best of all time. I thinkt he real catalyst of the Spurs is still Duncan and he's also made a great career out of ducking the better post player of the opposing team.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-10-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:43 AM   #367
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Kobe and LeBron on a tier of their own.

I'm not sold on Paul yet. Let's see how teams prepare for him next season.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #368
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What the hell is Jon Barry smoking? How the hell can you say that this game is more important for the Celtics than the Cavs?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #369
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Chris Paul is having a great playoffs.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #370
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This Ben Wallace free throw shooting was funny when he wasn't on my team
Old 05-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #371
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This team seems to play pretty well when Delonte West dominates the ball. The LeBron "pound it into the ground for 15 seconds and jack an offbalanced J" offense is pretty easy to defend.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #372
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's sorta hard to get used to Cleveland having a PG who can not only knock down open jump shots, but ALSO attack the basket! It's always been one or the other... or neither.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #373
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hell of a game. Kobe's back was hurting in the second half and he shouldn't have been shooting as much because Gasol and Odom were tearing it up. On the flip side, Lakers couldnt stop Deron Williams
Old 05-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #374
miami_fan
Coordinator

This home court advantage thing sort of means something huh?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #375
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I really hope someone else just saw LeBron's dunk.. That was the perfect exclamation point.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #376
Groundhog
Coordinator

The NBA should just save us all some time and credit all remaining home teams with the victory for the rest of the playoffs!

Congratulations to the LA Lakers, winners over the Boston Celtics 4-2!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #377
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
I really hope someone else just saw LeBron's dunk.. That was the perfect exclamation point.

Yeah, that was sick.

I don't think either of these teams will beat Detroit, if it weren't for Dallas last year I'd say the Celtics are the worst 66+ win team in league history.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #378
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The NBA should just save us all some time and credit all remaining home teams with the victory for the rest of the playoffs!

Wouldn't that be Boston 4, LA 3?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #379
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

I thought I heard the Celtics would have homecourt throughout the playoffs?

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #380
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Yeah, that was sick.

I don't think either of these teams will beat Detroit, if it weren't for Dallas last year I'd say the Celtics are the worst 66+ win team in league history.

Yeah because we could'nt beat Detroit last year either.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #381
Groundhog
Coordinator

OK, same diff. :P
Old 05-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #382
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post

Yeah, that was a great dunk. I don't know what I was thinking the other day. I guess I was thinking his jump shooting is too poor, but he clearly belongs in the tier with Kobe and Duncan. This will be amazing if he pulls off this series against the Celtics.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #383
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

C's fucking gave this game away in the 4th quarter - they went away from Garnett in the block and settled for contested crap-shots and lost control of the game.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #384
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I thought LeBron played the way I felt he should be playing beat that first guy and dish it to the guys attacking the basket, 13 assists shows me that if they continue running this on the Celtics they will beat them 4-2.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #385
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought LeBron played the way I felt he should be playing beat that first guy and dish it to the guys attacking the basket, 13 assists shows me that if they continue running this on the Celtics they will beat them 4-2.

they gotta win a game in boston first
Old 05-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #386
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
they gotta win a game in boston first

If they play the way they did tonight they will win in 6.

Last edited by Noop : 05-12-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #387
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantle2600 View Post
Yeah because we could'nt beat Detroit last year either.

Detroit has really stepped it up since their slow start against Philadelphia, they were really impressive beating Orlando in game four without Billups. They'll likely have plenty of rest as I don't expect my Magic to get a win tomorrow night and just feel they're not going to be denied this season after being upset by Miami and Cleveland in the conference finals these past few years.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #388
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If they play the way they did tonight they will win in 6.

I don't think so.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #389
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I don't think so.

Of course you don't think so.

As for Detroit versus Cleveland(should they get pass the Celtics) if LeBron takes it to the stratosphere then I don't think Detroit can beat them. However if LeBron plays like his normal self I think Detroit beats them in 6.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #390
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really expect nothing out of the Cavs this year, but getting back into this series has pleasantly suprised me. I didn't get to see tonights game, but I've heard that Brown is finally starting to make some adjustments.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #391
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

I think it's very possible Detroit could beat us if we can get past the Celtics, I'm just sick of everyone saying "can't beat Detroit". We did last year and we took them to 7 games the year before that.

By the way according to that logic, we're not gonna beat the Celtics either because a couple people said so.

And we could'nt beat the Wizards because a couple people said so. (Actually it was probaly just that fat one.)

Old 05-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #392
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I really expect nothing out of the Cavs this year, but getting back into this series has pleasantly suprised me. I didn't get to see tonights game, but I've heard that Brown is finally starting to make some adjustments.

It was a great 4 quarter game, no 24 points in 1 quarter followed up by 9 or whatever it was in game 2.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #393
Jas_lov
College Starter

So Cleveland wins two games at home and everyone gives up on the Celtics, the best team in the league. The Cavs have to win one in Boston before I write the Celtics off. In three of the series, the team with home court advantage has lost 2 straight but they're all still in control until they lose a game at home. I hope all 3 series go the full 7 games.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #394
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
So Cleveland wins two games at home and everyone gives up on the Celtics, the best team in the league. The Cavs have to win one in Boston before I write the Celtics off. In three of the series, the team with home court advantage has lost 2 straight but they're all still in control until they lose a game at home. I hope all 3 series go the full 7 games.

The Cavs will have to win the next game in Boston before I write the Celtics off, but I'd like to see the Celtics win at least one game on the road SOMEWHERE if they are to be considered a legit threat. Two losses at both Cleveland and Atlanta looks pretty bad.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:50 PM   #395
molson
General Manager

Quote:
If they play the way they did in the last 3 minutes they will win in 6.

Fixed
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #396
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Writing them off is not the same as saying they are in trouble. All three of the teams that have lost two straight are in trouble to some degree or another, and not just because they lost two straight on the road. Boston's shown that they still don't have much of an offensive identity and Doc Rivers can't stop tinkering with the rotation patterns for no apparent reason. That plus not having won a game on the road yet makes you wonder if they can beat Cleveland, because if they keep playing this way all it takes is LeBron shooting well either Game 5 or Game 7 in Boston.

The Lakers are probably fine IF Kobe's back is fine, but there's a lot of doubt about that and they are struggling with the Jazz on the boards. Meanwhile New Orleans is probably in the most trouble, as they don't appear to have a good answer for the Spurs putting Bowen on Stojakovic, David West has shown some composure issues, and Duncan appears to be back to full health, none of which are good for them no matter how flat-out awesome Chris Paul plays.

Boils down to the fact that a team that wins the first two games of the series is generally able to steal one on the road and close it out relatively quickly. The fact that none of them have been able to do that(excluding Detroit) is a cause for concern in all three cases by itself.

Oh, and Boston having the best regular-season record absolutely does not mean they are the best team in the NBA. It's pretty hard to argue that they've looked like the best team, or even looked like a team ready to win a title, based on their playoff performance thus far.

Just to put my money where my mouth is, I see Cleveland and Detroit in the East, San Antonio and LA in the West. I think David Stern's worst nightmare is the most likely scenario: San Antonio and Detroit with possible depression counseling required for ABC programming executives.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-13-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #397
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The C's should just drop out now. What a joke they are. And Doc Rivers has to be one of the worst coaches in the league. Find me someone with a lower basketball IQ. I don't think you can.

When the Cavs backups manhandle Garnett and he can't score one on one at all it's time to pack it in. And Paul Pierce should either be moved or retire after the season. His game is deteriorating faster than a speeding bullet.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #398
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
The C's should just drop out now. What a joke they are. And Doc Rivers has to be one of the worst coaches in the league. Find me someone with a lower basketball IQ. I don't think you can.

When the Cavs backups manhandle Garnett and he can't score one on one at all it's time to pack it in. And Paul Pierce should either be moved or retire after the season. His game is deteriorating faster than a speeding bullet.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 AM   #399
rkmsuf
Head Coach

George IS getting upset.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #400
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I've heard that Brown is finally starting to make some adjustments.

This is a massive condemnation of Doc Rivers - that he is getting outcoached by Brown. No, not Larry Brown. Mike Brown. Wow.

I think this is worse than anything that Simmons has said about Doc up to this point in time.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote