Oh man that was sweet.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #252
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
wow - cute story abou this 30-whatever year old german gymnast

She was at least twice, if not 3 times, as old as some of those Chinese gymnasts

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #253
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
She was at least twice, if not 3 times, as old as some of those Chinese gymnasts

SI

haha - well played sir
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #254
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

After promising to "SMASH" the dreams of Michael Phelps, and throwing away a win in the final 10 meteres of the race, there is a new international signal for choking.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #255
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I still can't get over that race. Absolutely great. I wish they would replay the last 50 meters again

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #256
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
After promising to "SMASH" the dreams of Michael Phelps, and throwing away a win in the final 10 meteres of the race, there is a new international signal for choking.

I'm sorry, there is already an international signal for choking militarily:

Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #257
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

I'm not entirely sure that barely losing to the World Record in 100m split is exactly "choking".
Old 08-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #258
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol - wait - strangely those are the same!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:54 PM   #259
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

What an incredible race. Glad I was able to watch it.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #260
BishopMVP
Coordinator

So now breaking a world record isn't enough and they've progressed to shattering multiple records in one event.

New WR 400Free Relay - by 4 seconds
New 100m Free WR - set by Australian leadoff
Fastest Relay Split ever - (and i think they were saying earlier 46.6 was the previous record) Lezak had 46.06
New 100m Free AR - set by Phelps on leadoff for the hell of it

What do these people do the other 4 years? They don't peak for the World Championships or something? Or do they only bring out the cold, deep, specially made pools for the Olympics?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #261
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol @ bishop
Old 08-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #262
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I do wish the world championships were televised and made a bigger deal out of though
Old 08-11-2008, 05:11 AM   #263
clemsonfan
High School JV

That, by far, was the greatest Olympic moment I have ever seen!
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #264
wade moore
lolzcat

Watched this race last night - incredible. Couldn't help but get excited over the last 50m or so.

Would have loved to see the guy from France interviewed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #265
RendeR
Coordinator

Sounds like I went to bed too early
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #266
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

We were up, but my wife wasn't paying attention to the race. I had to rewind so she could watch the thing again after she heard me screaming at the TV and jumping up and down.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #267
RendeR
Coordinator

So the French guy saying "we're going to smash the americans" gets to have his words crammed down his throat eh?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #268
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

just watch it on nbcolympics.com silly.

amazing 4x100 Free relay - Phelps was neck and neck with the Frenchy (Frenchy set a WR on the first leg, Phelps set an American record), the 2nd and 3rd legs were fairly neck-and-neck although France had a slight lead, the French anchor was the WR holder in the 100 free going into the race (who had just lost his record to his teammate), and the Americans had a 32-yo anchor who was behind by like a full body-length at the turn it seemed, managed to pull back even about halfway down the back-50 and then drafted in Frenchy's wake until the last 10-15 meters where he got energy from SOMEWHERE to pull even with Frenchy and out-touch him at the wall by .08 seconds, in the process setting a WR for fastest relay-split (46.06).

Looking at my posts on the board you can see - sure seemed like the Americans were done and there was no way he was going to catch up, and then BAM...there he was, and you could see as they came into the wall that he was going to out-touch him...it was just...amazing.

The top 5 finishers all broke the WR that the US B-team had set that morning in the prelims (which was itself what...1+ seconds faster than the old record). So in the span of 24-hours the WR went down by like over 5 seconds.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #269
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Awesome race. My wife and I were jumping on the bed screaming like little kids.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #270
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
The top 5 finishers all broke the WR that the US B-team had set that morning in the prelims (which was itself what...1+ seconds faster than the old record).

I think this bears repeating, just to emphasize the magnitude of this event. Two teams that broke the previous world record didn't even receive medals.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #271
MikeVic
Head Coach

So, before the Olympics began there was some story I saw about how swimmers were wearing these outfits that helped them a lot.

I didn't watch the relay, so I don't know if everyone was wearing suits or just the lower part, but since everyone swam so fast I'll assume everyone wore those suits?

Do you think this is right? Shouldn't swimmers just wear a speedo or something? Isn't technology getting too advanced to allow full, aerodynamic suits?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #272
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm not entirely sure that barely losing to the World Record in 100m split is exactly "choking".

After blowing the lead he had at the turn, I don't think there's any question the dude choked as bad as the Maginot Line did in 1940.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #273
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So, before the Olympics began there was some story I saw about how swimmers were wearing these outfits that helped them a lot.

I didn't watch the relay, so I don't know if everyone was wearing suits or just the lower part, but since everyone swam so fast I'll assume everyone wore those suits?

Do you think this is right? Shouldn't swimmers just wear a speedo or something? Isn't technology getting too advanced to allow full, aerodynamic suits?

nah. i mean sure it'd be nice if they all just wore regular speedos and you could compare records and numbers across eras, but the world doesn't exist in a bubble, and the public would get bored if they weren't seeing records broken (or so the argument probably goes). I'm sure there's a way to quantify the effect of the suit though and adjust the times accordingly to stack up swimmers from different eras...maybe?

besides what's the harm? at least they're not doing PED's (hopefully).
Old 08-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #274
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:

I saw a statistic that claimed the top suits cut about 2% from the times of swimmers (no idea what distance that would relate to, though). So it's certainly substantial. However, as my understanding is that anyone can choose to wear the best suits -- and all of the top companies have their own versions, it seems -- outside of sponsorship concerns, it seems like the technology is level across the playing field, much like tennis.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #275
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Can some one help me figure out where to watch online? Looking through the nbcolympics.com site, all I see are video clips and not actual footage. And their entire schedule thing is completely blank.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #276
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Can some one help me figure out where to watch online? Looking through the nbcolympics.com site, all I see are video clips and not actual footage. And their entire schedule thing is completely blank.

Ahh finally found it, Not sure why the schedule thing is completely blank though.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #277
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

In every sport, people are always looking for the best equipment. NASCAR is always trying to build a faster car, tennis is always building a better racket, football is always building a better helmet and better pads. The only real difference is this jump in technology is a bit higher than most.

As long as everyone involved in the sport has access to it, I don't see the problem.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #278
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I think this bears repeating, just to emphasize the magnitude of this event. Two teams that broke the previous world record didn't even receive medals.

In my view, this actually undermines the magnitude of the event. It renders it plain to see that there's a fundamental difference between the settings. From what little I know, I guess it's the suits, but whatever it is -- it's perfectly clear that there's a material difference at work here, not just incremental improvement among the athletes.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #279
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
In my view, this actually undermines the magnitude of the event. It renders it plain to see that there's a fundamental difference between the settings. From what little I know, I guess it's the suits, but whatever it is -- it's perfectly clear that there's a material difference at work here, not just incremental improvement among the athletes.

Exactly. I know every sporting event will have some kind of technological aid over time, so I didn't think much about the suits... but after reading that two teams broke thee old record and weren't even top three...! That just seems really wrong.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #280
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The other big talk has been regarding the pools, and that different pool sizes (depth, width) affect the times. Plus some rules changes on strokes that make it difficult to compare eras.

Regardless, despite all the record breaking going on, it's fun to watch the judges just kind of sauntering along the deck at the same pace as the swimmers furiously paddling away...
Old 08-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #281
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

Not sure I follow. If everyone has access to the same technology, doesn't it prove that the playing field is pretty level when the winning team has to overcome four world-record performances in order to do so, and the separation between first and second in a four-man relay is .08 seconds?

Clearly the suit technology cuts down on drag and such in a significant way, but let's consider how much improvement there is. If we assume the 2% figure is accurate (and that a swimmer accidentally slowing his tempo a fraction doesn't offset the gains), then the Americans gained what, about 4 seconds? "About", of course, being a huge margin for error considering the increments of swimming time, but for rough math, there we go. Fwiw, they broke the world record by just under 4 seconds. If they swam in basic Speedos against the rest of that field (of which most, if not all, were wearing the better suits) they'd have finished 6th assuming the other times remained the same -- and still been right on the line of breaking the previous world record.

The difference between first place and last place was 4.63 seconds, an incredibly close gap considering that each team had 4 chances to lose a fraction of time here or there. My sense is that if the technology is available to every swimmer, the question becomes more about comparing new records to old ones rather than "undermining the magnitude of the event". Having watched it, it didn't matter what the final times were, really -- as spectators we witnessed a thrilling come-from-behind victory that was determined by less time than it takes for a hummingbird to flap its wings once.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #282
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Exactly. I know every sporting event will have some kind of technological aid over time, so I didn't think much about the suits... but after reading that two teams broke thee old record and weren't even top three...! That just seems really wrong.
Sample size, anyone? Relays are always relatively uncommon in the daily life of the swimmers, so they have much less opportunity to set times. In contrast, at the women's 4x100 the Dutch world record holders failed to break their own record, while the rest of the field was miles away.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #283
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I have two little pleasures when watching the lesser-known events. One is trying to think if I could be good at the event - realistically I know there's no chance I could compete at the world-class level, but I used to dominate Badminton in middle school gym class, and I swear I could take some of those guys out there.

The other is imagining the best US athletes playing in these. LeBron in Team Handball is the one I was thinking about yesterday. One of the Europeans who actually plays/watches can disagree with me, but I swear he'd score 50 goals a game without trying. I don't even know exactly what the rules allow for trying to stop drives, but who out there could stop LeBron?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #284
Galaxy
Coordinator

Off-note, but it looks like Chicago made the final list (along with Tokyo, Madrid, and Rio de Janeiro) for the 2016 Olympics.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #285
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

The thing I can't figure out is Phelps + most others weren't wearing the full body-length suits for other events. Do they only help freestyle swimmers and detract for other strokes? wbatl1, do you know anything about that?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #286
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Phelps and the top swimmers don't have to swim their fastest races to make the finals, and as such you'll see several of them either taking a lot off late in a race and such (not shaving, etc.).
Old 08-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #287
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I have two little pleasures when watching the lesser-known events. One is trying to think if I could be good at the event - realistically I know there's no chance I could compete at the world-class level, but I used to dominate Badminton in middle school gym class, and I swear I could take some of those guys out there.

The other is imagining the best US athletes playing in these. LeBron in Team Handball is the one I was thinking about yesterday. One of the Europeans who actually plays/watches can disagree with me, but I swear he'd score 50 goals a game without trying. I don't even know exactly what the rules allow for trying to stop drives, but who out there could stop LeBron?

I'd like to see how good at rugby some of our football players could have been.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #288
Buccaneer
Head Coach

According to my wife, NBC's coverage sucks badly, pretty much to the point of not bothering to tune in.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #289
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Except for Phelps swimming, I've been avoiding NBC, and been watching a ton of MSNBC and NBCOlympics.com
Old 08-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #290
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Off-note, but it looks like Chicago made the final list (along with Tokyo, Madrid, and Rio de Janeiro) for the 2016 Olympics.

I was really hoping that Los Angeles would have been able to beat out Chicago
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #291
Jas_lov
College Starter

Your wife is a liar! She's a liar! The coverage ain't bad, could be better. It shouldn't stop anyone from tuning in though as the events are top notch, especially the swimming.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #292
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

If there in Chicago there will be soccer games in Minneapolis at TCF Bank Stadium, which would be fun.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #293
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Interesting, that aerial shot of the fireworks from the Olympic Ceremonies? Computer Generated.

They DID do fireworks, it was just that they couldn't provide an aerial shot for them, due to the risk of the helicopter being damaged.

Says a lot for how far computer generated stuff has gone.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #294
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Cyclists continue to be the stupidest atheletes on this planet.

Cyclist Moreno kicked out of Games - 2008 Olympics - SI.com
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #295
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #296
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I prefer more T than A, but those lil white half-mesh bikini bottoms are showing some serious A.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #297
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
Not sure I follow. If everyone has access to the same technology, doesn't it prove that the playing field is pretty level when the winning team has to overcome four world-record performances in order to do so, and the separation between first and second in a four-man relay is .08 seconds?

Clearly the suit technology cuts down on drag and such in a significant way, but let's consider how much improvement there is. If we assume the 2% figure is accurate (and that a swimmer accidentally slowing his tempo a fraction doesn't offset the gains), then the Americans gained what, about 4 seconds? "About", of course, being a huge margin for error considering the increments of swimming time, but for rough math, there we go. Fwiw, they broke the world record by just under 4 seconds. If they swam in basic Speedos against the rest of that field (of which most, if not all, were wearing the better suits) they'd have finished 6th assuming the other times remained the same -- and still been right on the line of breaking the previous world record.

The difference between first place and last place was 4.63 seconds, an incredibly close gap considering that each team had 4 chances to lose a fraction of time here or there. My sense is that if the technology is available to every swimmer, the question becomes more about comparing new records to old ones rather than "undermining the magnitude of the event". Having watched it, it didn't matter what the final times were, really -- as spectators we witnessed a thrilling come-from-behind victory that was determined by less time than it takes for a hummingbird to flap its wings once.

I thought I was pretty clear, but I'll try again.

The race was exhilarating. Awesome to watch, and I don't really care much about the Olympics or rooting for people who happen to be from my country. Ranks *way* there in sports events I have ever viewed. Thrilling.

I'm also not saying that it lessens the amazing outcome. Nor am I saying the playing field was not level. I was just responding to a comment above that the complete crushing of the world record made the event more momentous.

What I'm saying is just that the fact that 5 out of 8 teams beat the all-time world record time tells us all that the times of this setting are clearly not on par with those from other eras and settings. Plain and simple. So, the "amazing that they crushed the world record by so much" stuff rings hollow to me. It's clearly substantially a function of different suits, different pools, or something else besides suddenly all the top swimmers just got a *ton* better than they all were six months or four years ago.

Oh, and I'd have to quarrel with you on the hummingbird wingbeat stuff, not that I have a general problem with hyperbole or anything, it's just bad math.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #298
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
I prefer more T than A, but those lil white half-mesh bikini bottoms are showing some serious A.

thats what i consider quality programing
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #299
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

michael phelps is just...not human. He's unbelievable. A total freak.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #300
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

can he do the spitz +1? (8 Gold medals, 8 World Records)