Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #401
Jas_lov
College Starter

A fall on the entry!
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #402
Jas_lov
College Starter

Another disaster. She cost them .8 of a point on the balance beam and now she fell on the mat. They're already 1 point behind so it's pretty much over.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #403
Huckleberry
College Starter

Sucks for her and the team. I do admire her for refusing to cry. At one point she saw the camera in her face just waiting for her to break down and you could see her steel herself again and refuse to give them what they wanted.

IMO, that's pretty tough for a 20-year-old woman that just went through what she went through in the last 30 minutes.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #404
Huckleberry
College Starter

dola -

And right as I post that she starts to tear up. Still busting her ass to maintain composure, though.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #405
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Its not like she really cost them the gold... yet.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #406
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Sucks for her and the team. I do admire her for refusing to cry. At one point she saw the camera in her face just waiting for her to break down and you could see her steel herself again and refuse to give them what they wanted.

Yeah, NBC and their hyper-drama queen announcers love the cry. Love it when a gymnast won't give it to 'em, although I'd rate our overall team body language as "suicidal" at the moment.

Does our team practice on mats that are larger than this? Nobody can keep themselves in bounds.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #407
Jas_lov
College Starter

I can't imagine the pressure they're under. China faltered too on the beam, but their higher difficulty allowed them to keep the one point lead. I do feel bad for her and she's holding it together as best she can.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #408
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Incidentally, not to take away from the other events -- but is it just me or is the balance beam 20x harder than anything else they do? I'm completely blown away that any human being can stay on that thing, even a tiny one.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #409
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That's the glory and the hell that is the new finals scoring system. before it, was 5 up, throw out your lowest score, top 4 score. Now, with the 3 up, 3 count system, one bad routine at a key moment is IT.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #410
Jas_lov
College Starter

And China's first two mat performances were excellent so the gold is theirs. Can anyone understand what Bela Lugosi is saying? I think he was accusing half of the Chinese team of being under age, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #411
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This Chinese U12 team is pretty good. When does the varsity team go?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:29 AM   #412
Jas_lov
College Starter

They just interviewed Sacramone and she held it together again when asked question after question about her mistakes. Then they interviewed the team and the reporter kept harping on her falls and Sacramone rolled her eyes. Just give it a rest already!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:42 AM   #413
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Michael "Secretariat" Phelps
Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 AM   #414
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Currently watching the live online coverage of Canada vs. China in baseball.
The commentator had me lol'ing with this after a Rheal Cormier strikeout: "I have to think it's been an awfully long time since someone fell down swinging at a Rheal Cormier pitch. Has to make the old guy feel pretty good."
Old 08-13-2008, 01:29 AM   #415
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Incidentally, not to take away from the other events -- but is it just me or is the balance beam 20x harder than anything else they do? I'm completely blown away that any human being can stay on that thing, even a tiny one.

My sister was in gymnastics for a few years (12-14, around those ages). One of the things that made her stop was that she was too scared to do the balance beam. They start them off with the board basically on the ground or an inch or two off the mat, but she just couldn't get over her fear of falling off it even with the beam on the ground.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #416
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Currently watching the live online coverage of Canada vs. China in baseball.
The commentator had me lol'ing with this after a Rheal Cormier strikeout: "I have to think it's been an awfully long time since someone fell down swinging at a Rheal Cormier pitch. Has to make the old guy feel pretty good."

It tickles me to remember that the Reds are still paying him.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #417
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Someone needs to tell China that you don't get more points for losing 1-0 as opposed to 3-0. They're just sitting back and letting the action come to them against Brazil with no sense of urgency despite being down 1-0 with about 20 mins to go.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #418
bob
College Starter

Remind me again the reason for the 16 year age minimum?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #419
Huckleberry
College Starter

I don't know if there's a good reason, but it's the rule. Who's to say other countries don't have kickass 12-year-old gymnasts? Breaking the rules is cheating, even if it's a stupid rule.

And I'm officially an Alicia Sacramone fan. She basically gave the bird to the jackass NBC coverage. Very nice. And very American.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #420
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think it's time to take Brian McBride out behind the shed and put him out of our misery
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #421
Anthony
Banned

i love how people are saying "the Chinese gymnasts were able to produce passports that proved they weren't younger than 16". the same passports that very well were fabricated by a Chinese government bent on ensuring their best gymnasts that gave them the best odds of gold (regardless of age) went to the Olympics. as if a government itself can't fabricate something like this. most of those girls were not any older than 13. at 1st my wife and i were making fun of their badly overapplied makeup as not being fashion savvy enough, but now it's apparent it was a ruse to try to get the girls to look somewhat older.

i'll be really happy when these girls are stripped of their gold medals years from now when the truth comes out. the chinese are a farce. make believe child opening-ceremony singer. make believe opening-ceremony fireworks. make believe 16 year olds. a farce of a country.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #422
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think we are a week into the Olympics now and Canada still has zero medals. Countries I've never even heard of (Tajikstan?) have won at least a solitary bronze. The other night CBC's announcers were trying to hype the fact that one of the American swimmers, who won a silver, has a parent who was born in the Maritime's. Kind of depressing, hopefully things pick up for us in the next few days.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #423
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think we are a week into the Olympics now and Canada still has zero medals. Countries I've never even heard of (Tajikstan?) have won at least a solitary bronze. The other night CBC's announcers were trying to hype the fact that one of the American swimmers, who won a silver, has a parent who was born in the Maritime's. Kind of depressing, hopefully things pick up for us in the next few days.

It's not only "kind of" depressing, it is very depressing. To watch poor Brent Hayden bring the relay team from 5th or 6th to second place in his 200m only to see our fourth swimmer slide back down to 5th place was extremely sad...

FM
Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #424
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

Hopefully one day Devoe Joseph can do good things for Canadian basketball.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #425
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I wonder what the point spread is on Michael Phelps vs Canada? And I'm not talking Gold's (he's gonna smoke us), but in total medals? I think we might be hard pressed to come away in double digits this year.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #426
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Remind me again the reason for the 16 year age minimum?

Not sure if you were serious but just in case, here is my guess.

I think the "official" reason seems to be the desire to keep gymnasts in the sport for a longer period of time. I mean it is called the woman's gymnastics team. It would probably be nice to have women on the team as opposed to girls. YMMV on what age they become women.

I think there are many more unofficial reasons though.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #427
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Not sure if you were serious but just in case, here is my guess.

I was being serious. Thanks for the response. All I've heard is that they aren't 16, and that's the rule, but nothing about why that rule exists.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #428
bob
College Starter

Is there an advantage to having under 16 athletes? Other than the fact that someone might have had a great competitor under 16 at home, do younger gymnasts have some advantage. All I've seen is this (on CNNSI), which sounds like a load of crap to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNNSI-Asshat
There is a mental advantage for youngsters who are clueless about pressure, unaware of what wobbles the burden to win can create.

Last edited by bob : 08-13-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #429
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm not sure how much of an advantage it is, but the rules are the rules, and just b/c China is China doesn't mean they should be excepted from them
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #430
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hopefully the chinese get stripped at some point in the future and the US girls get the gold
Old 08-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #431
Anthony
Banned

i assumed the advantage to having younger girls is that they're lighter (in theory) than older girls, being able to do flips and whatnot more easily than someone more "developed" (ie, more developed breasts, more muscle mass, etc). one article made a point of showing how one of the chinese girls weighs less than 80 lbs, it might've even said she was about 70 lbs. i took that to mean weight, or lack thereof, is a key element to success.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #432
molson
General Manager

Better to send younger girls than the old-fashion way of just drugging them to delay puberty.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #433
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Is there an advantage to having under 16 athletes? Other than the fact that someone might have had a great competitor under 16 at home, do younger gymnasts have some advantage. All I've seen is this (on CNNSI), which sounds like a load of crap to me:

Well this may be a slippery path to go down but what the hell. There are certain things a 14 year old female body can do that a 17,18,19,20 year old female body can not. I can't speak from experience but I assume it is easier to control a 68 pound body while flipping through the air than a 100 pound body.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 08-13-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #434
Autumn
Head Coach

Is that rule new though? I don't follow gymnastics but watch it at the Olympics, and I thought that typically there were 12-14 year olds competing in the events. When did they institute the age limit?

And yes, I agree, I think the sport emphasizes young girls because they're lighter and more flexible. It's a sport that maturing doesn't really help in.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #435
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I believe ligaments are generally looser in younger girls as well, so it's easier to contort the body. That's why in a Chinese acrobatic show the most difficult tricks were done by pre-teen or early-teen girls.

The rule, though, is really more like a child labor law and I don't think the Chinese are following the intent of the law whether or not pre-sixteen girls are competing.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #436
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Is that rule new though? I don't follow gymnastics but watch it at the Olympics, and I thought that typically there were 12-14 year olds competing in the events. When did they institute the age limit?

And yes, I agree, I think the sport emphasizes young girls because they're lighter and more flexible. It's a sport that maturing doesn't really help in.

Source
Quote:
The 58th Congress of the FIG, held in July 1980, just before the Olympics, decided to raise the minimum age limit for major international senior competition from fourteen to fifteen.[4] The change, which came into effect two years later, didn't eliminate the problem. By the time the 1992 Olympics rolled around, elite competitors consisted almost exclusively of "pixies" — underweight, prepubertal teenagers — and concerns were raised about athlete welfare.

The FIG responded to this trend by raising the minimum age requirement for international elite competition to sixteen in 1997. This, combined with changes in the Code of Points and evolving popular opinion in the sport, have seen older gymnasts return to competition

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-13-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #437
Autumn
Head Coach

Shows you how long it's been since I've paid attention, eh? Actually since I've had television reception.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #438
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by some blog i found
China is not the first team to be in this position. In 1991, a North Korean gymnast, Kim Gwang Suk, showed up at the world championships with two missing front teeth, raising questions about her age. She was 4 feet 4 inches and about 62 pounds, and she claimed to be 16. At one point, the North Korean Gymnastics Federation listed her at 15 for three straight years; it was later barred from the 1993 world championships for falsifying ages.

this must be more rampant than we think it is.

here's a blurb about one of the chinese gymnasts, named He:

Quote:
According to some official records, He - China's uneven bars specialist - was listed as 14 this year. Now, however, she is listed as 16. At the post-event news conference, a reporter asked her how she had celebrated her 15th birthday. After a long pause, He answered that it had been "an ordinary day" spent with teammates.

Last edited by Anthony : 08-13-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #439
Huckleberry
College Starter

In the last day I have read in some places from females that were gymnasts that puberty threw their balance way out of whack. Not surprising, and that makes using underage gymnasts a huge advantage.

I mean, let's be completely honest and try not to be pervs. One can easily imagine that it is much easier to keep the first example below balanced on a 4" wide beam than the second example:

Old 08-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #440
Anthony
Banned

the one on the top looks exactly like what a tweener (too old to be a child, too young to be a teen, think the 10-13 age range) looks like when they put on too much makeup to look older.

i hope someone blows up China's spot. this is just atrocious.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #441
clemsonfan
High School JV

No way that that Chinese gymnast is 16.

By the way, Alicia is pretty attractive in that picture. Attractive in a completely heterosexual way of course.

Last edited by clemsonfan : 08-13-2008 at 01:39 PM.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #442
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is the age limit rule for all gymnasts or just the females? Also is gymnastics the only sport where there is such an age limit?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #443
clemsonfan
High School JV

I know there were some 14 or 15 year old divers the other night.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #444
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

For those that think weightlifting is a glamorous sport...........

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #445
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think it's time to take Brian McBride out behind the shed and put him out of our misery
I'd rather Peter Nowak, Bob Bradley and 90% of the US Soccer braintrust is leading the way to the firing line.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #446
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post

By the way, Alicia is pretty attractive in that picture. Attractive in a completely heterosexual way of course.

shawn johnson, alicia sacramone, samantha peszak, and even nastia liukin all have the potential to grow up to be beautiful young women (in a few years)

then again, alicia is already what...20? so she is a beautiful young woman already - when she's done stunting her body via training i think that will be even more apparent
Old 08-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #447
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I know there were some 14 or 15 year old divers the other night.

and Phelps was 15 in Australia 8 years ago... It might be a gymnastics things.

FM
Old 08-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #448
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
shawn johnson, alicia sacramone, samantha peszak, and even nastia liukin all have the potential to grow up to be beautiful young women (in a few years)

then again, alicia is already what...20? so she is a beautiful young woman already - when she's done stunting her body via training i think that will be even more apparent

she was born in December 1987 (per wikipedia) so yeah, 20. And I agree, she is very nice to look at.

FM
Old 08-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #449
clemsonfan
High School JV

Anyone inspired to up their work out routine after watching the Olympics?

I've got to admit, after hearing that Michael Phelps trains for 5 hours a day, I decided that I'm going to try to work out for 2 hours a day.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #450
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Anyone inspired to up their work out routine after watching the Olympics?

I've got to admit, after hearing that Michael Phelps trains for 5 hours a day, I decided that I'm going to try to work out for 2 hours a day.

When someone pays me to work out that much, I'll work out that much. I don't have a 2 hour block to workout in between work, kids, eating, and sleeping.