Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #151
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Top Rangers prospect Alexei Cherepanov has died during a game in the KHL.

What a terrible tragedy. I was hoping we might see him in Hartford next year.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #152
Logan
Head Coach

Wow this really hurts. Not just for us Ranger fans, but all hockey fans who will be missing out on someone who really could have been special. Feel terrible for his family.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #153
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
R.I.P. Alexei.

Islanders are tanking to get Tavares.

I think they broke the 150 minute mark for penalties today.

Here's the fight (s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTPudRyyhsE

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-13-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #154
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Kyle Quincey picked up by the Kings off waivers-
And the Kings needed to grab someone, with Jack Johnson out up to 3 months with a shoulder injury.

Also, Flyers make a deal for Andrew Alberts from Boston-- give up Ned someone or other (I think one of the guys they got from the Kings in dumping Denis Gauthier this summer) and a conditional pick.

No confirmation on the rumor that Scott Hartnell was sent to pick up Alberts at the airport.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #155
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The Cherepenov thing is a double whammy for me, as I'm not only a Rangers fan but I also had him in my keeper league.

I suppose this is also bad for his friends and family.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #156
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

The above is tongue-in-cheek, it's definitely a terrible tragedy.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 AM   #157
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Very sad situation.

But I'm more concerned by the TSN story about it (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2525...=topStory_main) :

Quote:
Sources in Russia told TSN that the ambulance that is normally at all games had already departed and had to be called back.

It is not clear exactly how long it took for Cherepanov to be transported from the rink to the hospital but one source in the arena told TSN it was, "probably 15 or 20 minutes."

There are also questions as to whether defibrillators at the arena were in good working order, though no further details are available.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #158
Logan
Head Coach

Had a feeling something bad would come out about this...
Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #159
boberot
High School Varsity

Wow, I was going to get on here and rant about having to work through an unbelievable entertaining Sabres game . . . but this is just horrible news.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #160
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ducks act is getting old really freaking fast. Honestly, I'm not above calling for Carlyle to be fired if they are still taking so many penalties by mid season. This team will be lucky to make the playoffs IMO.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:14 PM   #161
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Ducks act is getting old really freaking fast. Honestly, I'm not above calling for Carlyle to be fired if they are still taking so many penalties by mid season. This team will be lucky to make the playoffs IMO.

Did you just yell at the TV like I did? I am extremely NOT happy with the Ducks and how they are playing. They seriously need to pull their collective head out of their collective ass.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #162
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just the same stupid penalty over and over and over ad infinitum. Give the puck away -> bad defensive position -> hooking call. Has been the same way since the start of last season. At what point do you say thanks Carlyle for the cup, but if you can't get your players to stop taking the same penalty 5 times a game, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out?

Combine that with a much weaker blueline (Schneider and O'Donnell might not have been great, but they were 10x better than Montodor, Klee and MacIver put together) and I just have a real bad feeling about this season.

Oh, and next time you take a double minor penalty on a retaliation call, let's actually make somebody pay. Niedermayer should be smarter than that...
Old 10-14-2008, 11:36 PM   #163
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just the same stupid penalty over and over and over ad infinitum. Give the puck away -> bad defensive position -> hooking call. Has been the same way since the start of last season. At what point do you say thanks Carlyle for the cup, but if you can't get your players to stop taking the same penalty 5 times a game, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out?

Combine that with a much weaker blueline (Schneider and O'Donnell might not have been great, but they were 10x better than Montodor, Klee and MacIver put together) and I just have a real bad feeling about this season.

Oh, and next time you take a double minor penalty on a retaliation call, let's actually make somebody pay. Niedermayer should be smarter than that...

Yup, can't say it much better than that. If the backend of the blueline is going to continue playing like this, I say cut them all and bring up Salcido, Festerling and the kids. At least they might learn something from Niedermayer before he leaves.

And as I am typing this, they get another penalty. Ugh.

The turnover issues remind me a lot of 2003-04, when we were just awful in the year after we went to the Cup.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #164
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yup. Looking at the way they came out and took another penalty and nearly gave the Kings 2 goals, Carlyle might not even last until the all-star break.

Pronger can fuck off as well. Trade his ass while he still has some value. He hasn't been the same player since the cup win.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #165
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yup. Looking at the way they came out and took another penalty and nearly gave the Kings 2 goals, Carlyle might not even last until the all-star break.

Pronger can fuck off as well. Trade his ass while he still has some value. He hasn't been the same player since the cup win.

Agreed. Really, few of the players on this team have played anywhere near the level they showed in 2005, and most of them are too young to use age as an excuse.

Love this latest penalty. Oh, wait, there we go, another Kings goal.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:02 AM   #166
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i was at the kings-ducks game. you guys pretty much nailed it. not much to say about giving the kings 9 power plays. some of the kings kids look pretty good, for once i think this team has a decent future.

a funny moment happened at the end of the game, when the arena released purple streamers...and i had to stop and think, "are the streamers new, or have i never actually seen the kings win a home game before?"
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #167
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

So, did Lowe make the trip to Anaheim?

Chief Rum, is there a UFC ring setup outside the Pond??
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #168
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Watching the BOS vs. MTL...fantastic game. Lots of end to end action...almost feels like a playoff game. Great to see this early in the season.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #169
Galaxy
Coordinator

Glad to see the Sabres stay unbeaten and give the Rangers their first defeat on the season. Vanek has 5 goals in the first 3 games (2 of them are short-handed; and scored two games in two games). I hate Andrew Peters with a passion.

Great to see Patrick Kaleta does what he does best: Piss opponents off (while playing clean) and draw penalties. Paul Mara getting a game misconducted for just punching Kaleta was fun to watch. I wonder if Mara was thinking back to Kaleta's hit from last year, which sidelined Mara for 12 games with a fractures in his face.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-15-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #170
duff88
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Watching the BOS vs. MTL...fantastic game. Lots of end to end action...almost feels like a playoff game. Great to see this early in the season.

The crowd was kinda dead though, almost like if they were exhausted by the pre-game ceremonies and the first period.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #171
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
The crowd was kinda dead though, almost like if they were exhausted by the pre-game ceremonies and the first period.

Agreed, the fans just seemed out of it by the end of the game. Crazy bounce to help the B's tie it up and get the point, an OT win would have just been gravy. Savard and Ryder are looking good together, I'm still unsure about having Axe with them, but we'll see how it goes for now.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:43 PM   #172
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Glad to see the Sabres stay unbeaten and give the Rangers their first defeat on the season.

Was at the game, wish I wasn't. One of the worst games I've seen the Rangers play in years.

Quote:
Great to see Patrick Kaleta does what he does best: Piss opponents off (while playing clean) and draw penalties. Paul Mara getting a game misconducted for just punching Kaleta was fun to watch. I wonder if Mara was thinking back to Kaleta's hit from last year, which sidelined Mara for 12 games with a fractures in his face.

That was insane, I've never really seen a guy refuse to drop the gloves and just sit there taking punches like that. Maybe Claude Lemieux back in the day. Forgot about any history between them.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:39 PM   #173
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Phewf. Been holding my breath for the last few minutes of the Oilers/Ducks game. Solid effort in the final two periods to take one in Anaheim. Garon once again standing on his head.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #174
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Oh, and Pronger is on Rome tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:44 PM   #175
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Was at the game, wish I wasn't. One of the worst games I've seen the Rangers play in years.

That was insane, I've never really seen a guy refuse to drop the gloves and just sit there taking punches like that. Maybe Claude Lemieux back in the day. Forgot about any history between them.

I don't Kaleta even had a chance to respond. He turned around, still holding his stick and gloves still on, and Mara just started to punch the heck out of him. What was funny is Kaleta missed the check.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-16-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 AM   #176
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Oh, and Pronger is on Rome tomorrow.

Oh good. I'll be at work. Can you do me a favor and call in and ask Pronger when he'll show up this season? 'K, thx.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:20 AM   #177
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Oh good. I'll be at work. Can you do me a favor and call in and ask Pronger when he'll show up this season? 'K, thx.

I saw him at the game tonight...in the penalty box a few times...with that ridiculous beard.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #178
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Just who is this Pronger fellow you guys keep speaking of?
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #179
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Chicago Blackhawks fired head coach Denis Savard on Thursday and replaced him with Joel Quenneville.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #180
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
The Chicago Blackhawks fired head coach Denis Savard on Thursday and replaced him with Joel Quenneville.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #181
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Don't like that 1-2 start, eh?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #182
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Why? What's the point? It's only been 3 games. If you didn't want him for the season, fire him in the off-season. This is ridiculous.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #183
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Must be something going on in Chicago...that simply doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #184
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quenneville is

1) defensive-minded
2) tough on young players
3) schizophrenic with his goalies

I'm sure there are teams more ill-suited for coach Q, but I can't think of one right now.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #185
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Sure, but 3 games into the season and after getting their first win?? Doesn't make any sense.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #186
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Isn't there new management in Chicago? I remember reading that they were going to fire Savard first chance they got, and Quenville was there for that reason.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #187
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quennville? There goes any chance of being above mediocre.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #188
boberot
High School Varsity

Talking

Quote:
I don't Kaleta even had a chance to respond. He turned around, still holding his stick and gloves still on, and Mara just started to punch the heck out of him. What was funny is Kaleta missed the check.

I read a few quotes that definitely link it to the hit Kaleta laid on him last year and messed up Mara's face. Mara accused him -- both times -- of leaving his skates to throw the hit.

Allegedly, during this latest scrum, Kaleta asked him, "Hey, how's your face?"

Really pissed Mara off.

Kaleta is the new Matt Barnaby, apparently.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #189
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
I read a few quotes that definitely link it to the hit Kaleta laid on him last year and messed up Mara's face. Mara accused him -- both times -- of leaving his skates to throw the hit.

Allegedly, during this latest scrum, Kaleta asked him, "Hey, how's your face?"

Really pissed Mara off.

Kaleta is the new Matt Barnaby, apparently.

Rangers back Mara's retaliation to Kaleta's hit -- Newsday.com

What makes Kaleta great is he can keep his emotions in check, read the emotions of opponents, and get under their skin. Kaleta's job is to agitate, make his checks in a clean manner (and he's very good at making hits), energize the team, and draw penalties. He does this very well.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-16-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #190
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Kaleta's job is to agitate
I really hate the fact that this is anybody's "job" in the NHL.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #191
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Pretty much every team has one. I just find it funny that Rangers fan are whining about him, when they've had Avery.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #192
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

This coming from the guy whose team has had the likes of Darcy Tucker and Tai Domi on the ice??

As long as you hate your own as much as you hate the other players on other teams, its all good.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #193
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Pretty much every team has one. I just find it funny that Rangers fan are whining about him, when they've had Avery.

no kidding, and unlike kaleta, Avery was openly mouthy to everyone, he never played nice and clean, he was just a schmuck.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #194
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Um, where?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #195
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Um, where?

He did say "fan" singular, somewhere in that teaming cespool of a city a fan has to be whining about it
Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #196
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

The Avs finally won...I didn't get to see it, thanks to the clowns at DTV changing the channel the feed was on (meaning I recorded dead air).

oh well, that's 2 extra hours of sleep for me. Avs are currently on pace to break the 300 goal barrier...for and against.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #197
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Penguins shit the bed last night...go up 3-0, only to lose 4-3 to the Caps.

It didn't lose them the game (they did that on their own)...but replays of the Caps 4th goal, Hal Gill takes a high stick to the face, about 3 feet from the official. If he's not watching the puck 3 feet away from him, not sure what he's watching.

Crosby and Ovechkin yapping at each other on the ice after the buzzer sounded.

Also during the game, the new kid in town, Paul 'Biz-Nasty' Bissonette drops Matt Bradley with one punch. To his credit Bradley got right back up, only to get knocked down again. And he didn't look too pretty after.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #198
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Bradley was bleeding pretty good after that fight.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:48 AM   #199
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I am sure I'll get label a Penguins apologist or Crosby fan-boy...but Ovechkin proved out while he is a superior goalscorer, I don't think he's a better overall player than Crosby (or maybe Malkin even). He spent half his night on his side of the redline-great when the Caps have the puck, not great when he's cherry-picking.

The running around after Malkin...I read over and over last season how he's so improved defensively, I don't get how targeting one guy and trying to plow into him all night is great defensive play-- especially when the hit Malkin avoided along the wall, for any 3rd line player on any team in the league, would be an automatic charging call.

But the most selfish thing I saw all night was him shoot for the empty net from 70 feet away, miss, and give the Pens another faceoff. Nothing would have been better than to see them score directly from that faceoff.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #200
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am wondering if it's just me, but the Wings dominate the stat sheet every night, be it shots, time of possession, or what have you, but they look horribly flat. Obviously this is bound to happen, and considering Z didn't play last night, it isn't surprising, but they just look flat through the first week of the season.

It's no cause for concern, and I mean, it isn't like they're 0-5. It's just more an indication of how crazy good they'll be once everything is in motion.

PS to Don Cherry - The Wings 11th goal of the season was the first one scored by a North American. He has to be cringing right now.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote