Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #251
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Oh you mean Gaborik? He hasn't been dealt yet but they're shopping him. During the Wings/Canucks game they were discussing how Gaborik seems to want to play with the Canucks because of Demitra.

I knew Minnesota was shopping Gaborik but I thought I missed a breaking news trade today.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #252
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

found this in my most recent THN.

www.hockeyattire.com

A lot of older stuff in there, but some good stuff too, relatively cheap. But made even better by using ALLOFF50 in the promo code section for 50% off your entire order.

Dr Sak is getting himself a Bobby Esche jersey.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #253
RendeR
Coordinator

No Sabres jersies otehr than the god awful red one.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #254
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I just grew a neck beard in honor of Bobby Esche.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #255
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Blues 5 forward PP is pretty interesting. Kariya and Stempniak on the point is a nice combo with a lot of speed to get back in the play if they make a mistake.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:13 AM   #256
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Remarkably, the Red Wings have a history of being equally shitty, despite being able to throw out guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg. It's one of those things I guess. Befuddling though.

Ducks have always been shitty in shootouts, too, for some reason, even with Perry, Getzlaf, Selanne, etc. out there. Which makes Toronto's move even more ironic.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:13 AM   #257
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I just grew a neck beard in honor of Bobby Esche.

Do you mean an Esche beard? What is this "neck beard" you speak of?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:45 AM   #258
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Do you mean an Esche beard? What is this "neck beard" you speak of?

An Esche beard is a neck beard...just ask Maple Leafs.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #259
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Gross third period by Carolina tonight as they watch a potential steal of points evaporate in a hurry in Pittsburgh. I had been preoccupied with putting my daughter to bed, so missed a lot of the game. Turned on just in time for the two back-to-back goals. Maybe it's my raging pessimism kicking in, but I'm not feeling particularly hopeful about this year.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #260
samifan24
Pro Starter

Did anyone see Milan Lucic hit Mike Van Ryn so hard he sent him through the glass?

Last edited by samifan24 : 10-23-2008 at 09:56 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #261
Pyser
Pro Rookie

2 new rule changes being floated around by the nhl gms. one is interesting. the other is horrible. i think you guys will know pretty quickly which is which

The NHL general managers discussed some interesting rule changes today at their meetings in Chicago. They didn't agree to any changes for this season or beyond, but decided to think them over and talk about them further in their next meeting March 9-11 in Naples, Fla.

The first potential change would require a team that took a penalty in the defensive zone to clear the puck over the blue line -- rather than just playing and controlling the puck -- before play is stopped to end the delayed penalty. This would give the attacking team more time with an extra skater and the goalie on the bench to try to score before the power play begins.

The second idea would make it illegal to leave your feet or slide to the ice to block a shot, which, in turn, would let more shots get to the net and might create more goals. Players would be required to have at least one skate on the ice to block a shot. Otherwise, they would be assessed a minor penalty.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:24 AM   #262
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This might be heresy, but I don't think either rule is horrible. I'd want to think about the pros/cons of each before taking it further, which means the GMs are doing what I would do (which might be a first).

Any way you look at it, this is better than the semi-annual article on GMs discussing making the nets bigger.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:41 AM   #263
bhlloy
Coordinator

A penalty on leaving your feet is the most horrible idea I have ever heard (other than making the nets bigger ) It's part of hockey and it's going to be a bitch of a judgement call. Can you go to one knee? Is it just to block a shot, or will you be called if you go down anywhere on the ice? I'm not a big fan of referee's being asked to judge intent - especially in a fast moving game like hockey. They blow enough of the ticky tack technical calls as it is.

At least the idea of not waiving icing on the penalty kill wasn't proposed... that would have completely changed the game in a bad way IMO.

I don't see why there HAS to be more scoring, but that's just me. The bad old days of the mid 90's trap are long gone and I am actually happy with the product for the first time in 10-15 years.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #264
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
The first potential change would require a team that took a penalty in the defensive zone to clear the puck over the blue line -- rather than just playing and controlling the puck -- before play is stopped to end the delayed penalty. This would give the attacking team more time with an extra skater and the goalie on the bench to try to score before the power play begins.

Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
The second idea would make it illegal to leave your feet or slide to the ice to block a shot, which, in turn, would let more shots get to the net and might create more goals. Players would be required to have at least one skate on the ice to block a shot. Otherwise, they would be assessed a minor penalty.

Bad idea.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #265
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Did anyone see Milan Lucic hit Mike Van Ryn so hard he sent him through the glass?

It's unfortunate that the B's lost the game, but MAN that hit by Looch was AWESOME! I thought the Wideman hit was great but not anywhere near that.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #266
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Tucker put Matt Greene through the glass on Monday, but it wasn't anything as nice as that one
Old 10-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #267
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The Bruins laid three monster hits on the Leafs in that game. Stajan got KO'ed coming across the middle and there was another big hit right before a Leafs goal.

Good thing we had our "enforcer" Ryan Hollweg back or the Bruins might have taken some liberties.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #268
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
The Bruins laid three monster hits on the Leafs in that game. Stajan got KO'ed coming across the middle and there was another big hit right before a Leafs goal.

Good thing we had our "enforcer" Ryan Hollweg back or the Bruins might have taken some liberties.

When did clean hitting become equivalent to 'taking liberties'?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 10-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #269
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

It's not fair to pick on retarded people...whether you are clean or not.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #270
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

+1

Both the Stajan and Van Ryn hits were clean and I'm not sure which other one you refer to but both the other ones were clean.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #271
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am not speaking for ML here but generally after a guy gets drilled, clean or not, with the magnitude Stajan and Van Ryn were hit, an enforcer would go out and make his presence known to at least make them think twice before doing it again.

Those were clean hits but Hollweg only has one job, as useless as he may be at it, and he didn't come through.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:11 PM   #272
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am not speaking for ML here but generally after a guy gets drilled, clean or not, with the magnitude Stajan and Van Ryn were hit, an enforcer would go out and make his presence known to at least make them think twice before doing it again.

Those were clean hits but Hollweg only has one job, as useless as he may be at it, and he didn't come through.

But enforcers are supposed to protect stars from big hits, not third line players. I'm sure Hollweg is just confused as to which guys on his bench are the stars.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #273
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
But enforcers are supposed to protect stars from big hits, not third line players. I'm sure Hollweg is just confused as to which guys on his bench are the stars.

Ouch.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #274
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I don't see why there HAS to be more scoring, but that's just me. The bad old days of the mid 90's trap are long gone and I am actually happy with the product for the first time in 10-15 years.

More scoring chances, I am all for. More scoring just for the sake of scoring, no.

And they can create scoring chances simply by calling the penalties already in the book.

Wolfpack referenced earlier the Pens-Canes game. There was a total of 3 powerplays in that game. THREE! While it was a pretty free flowing game, there was a stretch in the 3rd period for honestly 90 seconds where the puck never left the neutral zone. I can't believe 10 guys with in 40 feet of each other there isn't one hooking/interference call.

Remember the season after the lockout, some of October games featured 20+ combined powerplays as players adjusted. While we aren't back to the mid 90's, they've still regressed.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #275
bhlloy
Coordinator

Alex Auld apparently decided the Ducks needed an early Christmas. A couple of the weakest goals you will ever see - I can't believe he hasn't been pulled yet.

At the other end Hiller has been very very impressive - I wonder if he replaces Giguere as the #1 at some point this season?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #276
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Marian Hossa scored an absurd goal tonight vs Atlanta. You'll be seeing it in the highlights for a while.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #277
bhlloy
Coordinator

Not really an NHL story, but nobody has brought up the Swedish hockey player who got showered with dildos at an away game? standards at FOFC are slipping...

(warning - do not google the full story unless you are extremely kinky/like being able to sleep at night without horrific images burned into your brain)
Old 10-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #278
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Marian Hossa scored an absurd goal tonight vs Atlanta. You'll be seeing it in the highlights for a while.

That was, indeed, an absurd goal. In fact, I got so excited by it that I scared my dog out of the family room. The Wings have managed to make every game this season interesting. They are something like 5-1-1 and I still don't think they've played a really strong game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #279
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Not to go all political here in our beloved thread, but it's worth mentioning that Sarah "Hockey Mom" Palin dropped the puck at the Flyers home opener and they lost. Last night she dropped the puck in St. Louis and not only did the Blues get shutout by the lowly Kings, 4-0, but Legace slipped on the capet they had placed on the ice for her and hurt himself.

I'm just saying...
Old 10-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #280
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Flyers won their first game last night...I highly doubt Palin is responsible for their pathetic defensive woes.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #281
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Went to the Blues - Kings game last night and watched us get our asses kicked.

I was wondering why Legace didn't come out to start the 2nd period...

Last edited by MizzouRah : 10-25-2008 at 09:26 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #282
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

For the past 3 games, Malkin has played RW next to Crosby, with Jordan Staal centering the 2nd line.

Thursday nights game vs. Carolina-- a game which had Crosby, Malkin, Eric Staal, among others-- Jordan Staal was the most dominant player on the ice. He was so good, he may have turned Ruslan Fedatenko into the 2nd most dominany player than night.

I hate Therrien's constant line shuffling and moving Malkin to wing...but I guess it's a good problem to have. And we have maybe two top 6 wingers (Sykora, Satan) so one of these guys will be playing wing most of the year.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #283
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
That was, indeed, an absurd goal. In fact, I got so excited by it that I scared my dog out of the family room. The Wings have managed to make every game this season interesting. They are something like 5-1-1 and I still don't think they've played a really strong game.

Agreed. Ozzy looks uncomfortable out there early on. Conklin looks great but the team played like shit for him last time out. It's early obviously, but 4 of our 6 D have been awful (Kronner, Stu, Meech, Lebda). Dare I say please get well soon Andres?

Still, at 5-1-1 you can't complain too much. They just need to sure up defensivley late. Too many third period near collapses. That'll work itself out though.

Hossa - Dats - Holmer is the best line in hockey though. Add in Mule -Z - Sammy (Who has been excellent early) and you have the best top two in the NHL.

I do fear though Mule is playing himself out of our price range.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #284
samifan24
Pro Starter

I just watched the Hossa goal on NHL.com and didn't think it was as spectacular as everyone's been saying. He gets the puck in the zone and dekes the defenseman but the goalie was out of position so Hossa just puts on the brakes and puts the puck into the empty net. It was a good goal but not really anything special, IMHO.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #285
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It was the initial excitement for me but he put an absurd move on the defensemen. Lethonen helped, obviously. In Detroit though you don't get many spectacular individual effort goals like that. It's usually pretty passing and a snipe, so cut us some slack.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #286
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
An Esche beard is a neck beard...just ask Maple Leafs.
Or is it? A challenger emerges...

Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #287
Galaxy
Coordinator

Pretty fast-pace, physical Buffalo-Colorado game so far.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #288
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Great moment in tonight's Sens/Leafs game... less than a minute in, Chris Neil throws one of those hits where the other guy (Stajan) tries to jump out of the way and it ends up being an accidental knee. Noted non-tough guy Luke Scheen comes over and immediately drops the gloves with Neil and holds his own. Crowd and bench was loving it. Leafs go on to control the game and win 3-2.

This kid is not going back to junior.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #289
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Great moment in tonight's Sens/Leafs game... less than a minute in, Chris Neil throws one of those hits where the other guy (Stajan) tries to jump out of the way and it ends up being an accidental knee. Noted non-tough guy Luke Scheen comes over and immediately drops the gloves with Neil and holds his own. Crowd and bench was loving it. Leafs go on to control the game and win 3-2.

I saw that watchin' on CBC. I love this kid. He will be wearing that C in three years, max.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #290
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Wait wait wait....Chris Neil actually agreed to fight?
Old 10-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #291
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Amazing finish in NY. Crosby misses, and Zherdev buries it. Lundqvist was awesome. God I love Center Ice.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:54 PM   #292
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Amazing finish in NY. Crosby misses, and Zherdev buries it. Lundqvist was awesome. God I love Center Ice.

2nd game this year already the Pens just shut it down in the third.

Earlier vs. NJ, and now tonight. Up 2-0, they sat back and got outshot 17-5 in the 3rd.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #293
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Wait wait wait....Chris Neil actually agreed to fight?
Don't worry... he ran from Jamal Mayers (!) later in the game. Even got a 10-minute misconduct out of the deal (I didn't know there was a "oh, stop being a pussy" rule in the NHL).
Old 10-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #294
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
2nd game this year already the Pens just shut it down in the third.

Earlier vs. NJ, and now tonight. Up 2-0, they sat back and got outshot 17-5 in the 3rd.

Yep. They're not keeping the pedal down. Detroit is having similar problems.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #295
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Don't worry... he ran from Jamal Mayers (!) later in the game. Even got a 10-minute misconduct out of the deal (I didn't know there was a "oh, stop being a pussy" rule in the NHL).

I'd run from Mayers too. You can't land a good shot with those eyebrows he has. It's a fucking thicket.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #296
Galaxy
Coordinator

A dumb question, but if you drop your gloves and stick, without fighting or getting the other guy to do the same, is that a penalty?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #297
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
A dumb question, but if you drop your gloves and stick, without fighting or getting the other guy to do the same, is that a penalty?

Yes.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #298
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Not automatically. The refs will sometimes get you for unsportsmanlike or even delay of game, but usually the penalty is that your team is briefly short-handed while you get to the bench and somebody with equipment jumps on.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #299
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wings look awful tonight. Conklin hasn't been good but he's done enough, and we've still given up 4 goals. Too many guys in front and a lot of careless turnovers in our own end.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #300
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Not automatically. The refs will sometimes get you for unsportsmanlike or even delay of game, but usually the penalty is that your team is briefly short-handed while you get to the bench and somebody with equipment jumps on.

Touche. I couldn't remember if that was the case. I thought it was an automatically penalty. I forgot what fighting was in hockey.