Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #201
Groundhog
Coordinator

I didn't catch the St. Mary's-UTEP game, but looks like UTEP did a job on Mills - 5-20 shooting and 4 turnovers. Youch.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #202
JeeberDMack
Mascot

I wasn't able to watch the game, but it sounds like very quick, very athletic soph guard Randy Culpepper guarded him much of the game. It took its toll, though...Randy fouled out of the game, but not before scoring 20 points.

The funny thing is that Randy isn't knowm for his D at all...he's an explosive offensive player.
JeeberDMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #203
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Back to the old SN, Jeebs?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #204
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

We were eating dinner during the Maryland - Michigan State game, but I was pretty stoked to see the Terps pull out the win. My DVR didn't record it, but at least I got to see highlights.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #205
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pretty good matchup underway for a Friday afternoon - Tennessee & Georgetown in the semi-finals of the Old Spice Classic. Tied at 14 with 14 minutes left in the first half.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #206
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I took a peek at the Big 12 slate today and noticed some pretty good matchups.....

OU/Purdue
Texas Tech/Pittsburgh
Baylor/Arizona State
Kansas State/Kentucky
OK State/Michigan State
A&M/Tulsa
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #207
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Pretty good matchup underway for a Friday afternoon - Tennessee & Georgetown in the semi-finals of the Old Spice Classic. Tied at 14 with 14 minutes left in the first half.

Excellent 1st half between these two. 39-37 Tennessee at the half.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #208
Radii
Head Coach

75-71 Tennessee with 3 minutes to go. Georgetown led by 8 with 9 minutes to go, nice turnaround by the Vols.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #209
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cameron Tatum knocks down several threes and the Vols come away with a nice 90-78 win over Georgetown in spite of foul trouble for Wayne Chism. Solid comeback for UT and a nice win in the early season.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #210
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I really hope Oklahoma continues to shoot without getting Griffin a touch. I think that will help our chances a little bit! Go Purdue!
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #211
JeeberDMack
Mascot

Miners down 42-33 at the half. We were within two with about two and a half to go, but let Wake go on a 7-0 to end the half...
JeeberDMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #212
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I know Purdue plays physical but 32 free throws to 2? Seriously?
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #213
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A couple of good games on TV tonight.

Tennessee & Gonzaga in the c'ship of the Old Spice Classic on ESPN2 underway already, 11-10 'Zags early.

On ESPN it's the women's turn tonight as UConn hosts Oklahoma, #1 vs #4.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #214
JeeberD
General Manager

UTEP is about to take on #14 Arizona State in the consolation game of the 76 Classic on ESPNU. The Miners took #24 Wake Forest right down to the wire the other day, hopefully we can put it together and get a win over a Top 25 team for the first time since '01...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #215
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gonzaga up four on Tennessee at the half, meanwhile UConn women having their way with OU 50-31 with a couple of minutes left in the first half.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #216
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Gonzaga up four on Tennessee at the half, meanwhile UConn women having their way with OU 50-31 with a couple of minutes left in the first half.

Gonzaga looks really good on paper this year. Heytvelt (spelling, probably), Daye, and (my favorite college player) Jeremy Pargo lead the squad. I'm thinking sweet 16 for them this year.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #217
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pargo looks very good tonight. Hell, the whole team looks good tonight, leading by as many as 18 in the latter stages of the second half. Under five minutes left now, Zags by 12.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:52 PM   #218
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA - Texas

Should be a solid game, not like last years game with more talent, but still should be fun to watch. UCLA got their early loss of the year out of their way so I would expect Howland to come out strong
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #219
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
UCLA - Texas

Should be a solid game, not like last years game with more talent, but still should be fun to watch. UCLA got their early loss of the year out of their way so I would expect Howland to come out strong

I'm looking forward to this game as well. There is a slight chance I'll be there. UCLA will be looking for revenge, after the loss Texas hung on them at home last season.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:08 AM   #220
Radii
Head Coach

UNC crushes Michigan State by 35 in Detroit. Ed Davis continues to be the most impressive addition to the team by far, and I am loving Deon Thompson's improvement.

This should be the last game capable of presenting the Tar Heels with a challenge out of conference. They do have road games at Valpo and Nevada in December.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:04 AM   #221
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Nice win for Penn State on the road against Georgia Tech.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:13 AM   #222
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I was proud of how Maryland got their heads out of their butts and came back strong in the 2nd half to top Michigan.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #223
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some early conference rankings

Kenpom:

1. ACC
2. Big East
3. Big 10
4. Big 12
5. Pac 10
6. SEC

http://kenpom.com

Realtime RPI:

1. Big 10
2. ACC
3. Big East
4. Big 12
5. SEC
6. West Coast

RealTimeRPI.com Men's College Basketball Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Ratings - A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet
Old 12-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #224
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm love Courtney Fortson

Last edited by MJ4H : 12-04-2008 at 05:49 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #225
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'm looking forward to this game as well. There is a slight chance I'll be there. UCLA will be looking for revenge, after the loss Texas hung on them at home last season.

THis game was never billed as a revenge game and UCLA certainly isn't trying to do much to change that line of thinking either
Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #226
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas up by 9 at the half.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #227
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

UCLA making a run.

Damn, that Abrams can shoot from anywhere.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #228
cartman
Death Herald

Nice win for the Horns over the Bruins, 68-64.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #229
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good win for Texas. Good experience for young UCLA. Probably a game that helps them both come March.

Lots of odd things to comment on this one, from weird floor decisions in the last couple minutes to what I thought was a little ref help for UCLA to keep the ball in UT's end. With all those opportunities, pretty surprising the Bruins failed to score a point.

Abrams is just an awesome shooter. He killed us tonight (although he tried to keep us in it at the end by missing a FT).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:07 AM   #230
MrBug708
Head Coach

Old 12-05-2008, 05:33 AM   #231
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

UCLA now and UCLA in February/March aren't going to be reminiscent of each other (at least I'm guessing). The PAC-10 is also down this year. UCLA, ASU, and I'm saying Oregon will finish 1,2,3.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #232
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

After watching Oklahoma eek out a win over USC last night, I won't have any problems continuing to dislike that program. The whining from the OU players and coaches was borderline intolerable last night. Blake Griffin needs to realize that he's going to get whacked on occasion and learn to deal with it.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #233
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

You'll be seeing this picture on signs all across the Big 12 this year when OU comes to town............

Blake Griffin In Drag: Blake Griffin's Milkshake Brings All The Boys To The Yard
Old 12-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #234
Radii
Head Coach

Michigan is leading Duke by 3 with 6 minutes to go in Ann Arbor.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #235
cmp
Pro Rookie

Michigan with another win over a Top 5 team.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #236
Radii
Head Coach

Michigan 81, Duke 73. Go Wolverines!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #237
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

My alma mater Wright State is struggling like crazy. We are 0-6 in a season where we were picked by almost every publication to finish 1st or 2nd in the Horizon League. We have 3 players out with injury, including our top scorer from last year. We just dropped the first 2 games of the conference season in Wisconsin. Butler had a huge road win at preseason favorite Cleveland State. Butler is a young team but they appear to be one of the teams to beat yet again.

Needless to say, us folks in Raider-land are quite bummed out right now. But we have the best coach in the conference in Brad Brownell and I think we're going to turn this around. I think that Wright State will be in it at the end of the season but WSU has a long way to go until then. First thing first, we need to just get 1 win to get the ball rolling.

I know this isn't a post about your BCS-conference team, but it's the team that I really cheer for. Go Raiders!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #238
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just some interesting rumor, but Arizona wants Izzo, and apparently Izzo is interested.

Take it FWIW.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #239
MrBug708
Head Coach

Not much of a new rumor, but I would be stunned if true. Why would any coach go to Arizona after Lute Olson? It's never good to follow a legend and Arizona is going to be epically bad for two years after this year
Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 AM   #240
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Big win for Mizzou yesterday. Absolutely manhandled a Cal team that had been playing pretty well. We'll likely be 9-1 (and probably ranked) heading into the big border battle against Illinois. Hoping to break the long losing streak against the Illini.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #241
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Ping Mizzou fans in St. Louis. Bragging Rights tickets just went on sale on Ticketmaster. Get 'em while you can.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #242
JeeberD
General Manager

So Mizzou has a basketball rivalry with Illinois but a football rivalry with Kansas? Seems a bit odd to me...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #243
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
So Mizzou has a basketball rivalry with Illinois but a football rivalry with Kansas? Seems a bit odd to me...

The Mizzou/Kansas rivalry in basketball is much bigger. Mizzou has the best record of any school in the conference against Kansas overall. Also, Norm Stewart was the only conference coach to have a winning record against Roy Williams, which is obviously saying something given the strength of the program under Roy.

The Illinois rivalry is much more recent in its origins.

When you're the only flagship school in a state, you pretty much have to make your rivalries with your out-of-state neighbors.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #244
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Geez, I'm guessing Mr. Tucker would have preferred that Iowa just said that he violated team rules and left it at that..........

Quote:
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Freshman guard Anthony Tucker, Iowa's leading scorer, was suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules.

Associate Sports Information Director Steve Roe said Lickliter did not want to elaborate anymore on the suspension on Sunday, and would likely face questions about it at a news conference on Monday.

Tucker was averaging 13.1 points per game for Iowa (7-2). He had 24 points in an 87-68 loss to West Virginia on Nov. 28, including shooting 6-of-9 on 3-pointers

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-08-2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect information.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #245
MJ4H
Coordinator

wow
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #246
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Just some interesting rumor, but Arizona wants Izzo, and apparently Izzo is interested.

Take it FWIW.

Izzo is from Michigan. No way this happens.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #247
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Geez, I'm guessing Mr. Tucker would have preferred that Iowa just said that he violated team rules and left it at that..........

ROFL.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #248
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Izzo is from Michigan. No way this happens.

I agree, and he probably will only step dowm from MSU hoops to become the MSU AD, but you can also see Izzo is getting burnt out here. I would give credence to him considering a move.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #249
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Yeah, that's probably a good spin on that. I think "violation of team rules" would have worked out a bit better.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #250
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

My favorite part of that portion of the article Mizzou posted is...

Associate Sports Information Director Steve Roe said Lickliter did not want to elaborate anymore on the suspension on Sunday...

lol, what details is exactly is he holding back? Jeez, how about this for negative recruiting?

"Coach Lickliter recruits gay basketball players...and then throws them under the bus publically."

The kid's responsible for his own voyeurism, of course, but, damn, he just got completely railroaded here by his own coach!