Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #351
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Official.

Hopefully we can pull off the rumored deal of Heilman plus another player to Colorado for Street, and then sign one more reliever.

Landing Street for the 8th and then maybe signing Juan Cruz would be amazing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #352
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'll just chime in that this sucks. I was actually getting excited about baseball again. Jays are in a division with the ALCS representative, PLUS the Red Sox and Yankees... they had a decent team last year, and were going to either keep Burnett or replace him with a good pitcher, as well as acquire a big bat.

Now it seems as if they'll lose Burnett, and not sign a big bat at all. Great.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #353
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Reds are trying to corner the Hernandez market today. They traded Ryan Freel to the Orioles for Ramon and then signed Livan. Ramon will likely platoon at catcher with Hanigan and Livan is a pretty classic wash out pitcher Jocketty sign.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #354
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Considering Wagner had no problem allowing runners on, and then was still ineffective, I'll look forward to the improvement !

I don't see this as an improvement actually. Wagner has been as good as, if not better than, K-Rod over the past 5-6 years.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #355
Logan
Head Coach

Wagner was beyond awful last year, and is out for 2009. How is that not an improvement?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #356
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Reds are trying to corner the Hernandez market today. They traded Ryan Freel to the Orioles for Ramon and then signed Livan. Ramon will likely platoon at catcher with Hanigan and Livan is a pretty classic wash out pitcher Jocketty sign.

The Reds have not signed Livan Hernandez. Apparently the reporter from Seattle got confused over which Hernandez was going to the Reds. Thus far they have not signed Livan.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #357
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Damnit. I just bought 200 shares of Hernandez hoping fora runup.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #358
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Wagner was beyond awful last year, and is out for 2009. How is that not an improvement?

Seriously? I'm not sure how a pitcher with a 2.30 ERA and a sub-1.00 WHIP can be considered beyond awful.

Wagner allowed a ton fewer baserunners last year than Rodriguez. Their strikeout numbers were similar, but Wagner allowed fewer hits/9 and had a much better K/BB ratio. Obviously Wagner isn't an option for this year, but K-Rod won't be that much of an upgrade for the Mets over previous years.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 12-09-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #359
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755 View Post
Seriously? I'm not sure how a pitcher with a 2.30 ERA and a sub-1.00 WHIP can be considered beyond awful.

Wagner allowed a ton fewer baserunners last year than Rodriguez. Their strikeout numbers were similar, but Wagner allowed fewer hits/9 and had a much better K/BB ratio. Obviously Wagner isn't an option for this year, but K-Rod won't be that much of an upgrade for the Mets over previous years.

Good thing numbers don't tell the full story. I watched Wagner pitch every game. His fastball had slowed and his slider didn't bite like it used to. He also had the habit of being completely off from the second he stepped foot on the mound, and wouldn't be able to recover until the game was lost. There's no one guy more responsible for the Mets not making the playoffs. The fucker blew 3 saves in 5 days -- 3 straight opportunities.

Saves might be a bullshit stat, but 7 blown saves in 34 opportunities is very telling.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #360
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Good thing numbers don't tell the full story. I watched Wagner pitch every game.

I gave up right around here. 99% of the time somebody says this, the numbers do tell the full story.

Look, I think this is a pretty good deal for the Mets. I just don't think that the K-Rod of 2007-2008 is any better at all than what a healthy Billy Wagner would have given you. If you're looking for comfortable 1-2-3 saves, Rodriguez is not the guy to hang your hat on.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #361
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Good thing numbers don't tell the full story. I watched Wagner pitch every game. His fastball had slowed and his slider didn't bite like it used to. He also had the habit of being completely off from the second he stepped foot on the mound, and wouldn't be able to recover until the game was lost. There's no one guy more responsible for the Mets not making the playoffs. The fucker blew 3 saves in 5 days -- 3 straight opportunities.

Saves might be a bullshit stat, but 7 blown saves in 34 opportunities is very telling.

From someone who watched K-Rod pitch a lot, I can assure you that his # of saves are not the whole story. He's a regression back to the mean away from being just as average as Wagner. I can't remember many 1-2-3 innings or even 1-2-3-4 innings for that matter.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy paying any more than 5 mil a season, and I'm very glad the Angels didn't bite.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #362
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I just don't think that the K-Rod of 2007-2008 is any better at all than what a healthy Billy Wagner would have given you.

Awesome, and since there is no such thing, why is this even being discussed?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #363
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I can't remember many 1-2-3 innings or even 1-2-3-4 innings for that matter.

Of his 76 appearances in 2008
25 without allowing a baserunner
2 games pitching 1 inning while facing 3 batters (GIDP's)
19 allowing 1 baserunner (aka "1-2-3-4 inning")
2 allowing 2 baserunners but facing 4 batters with 1 IP (GIDP's)

Total of 48 (of 76) appearances
Old 12-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #364
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Awesome, and since there is no such thing, why is this even being discussed?

IIRC, you compared him to Wagner initially. I was responding to that.

Quote:
Considering Wagner had no problem allowing runners on, and then was still ineffective, I'll look forward to the improvement !
Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #365
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Of his 76 appearances in 2008
25 without allowing a baserunner
2 games pitching 1 inning while facing 3 batters (GIDP's)
19 allowing 1 baserunner (aka "1-2-3-4 inning")
2 allowing 2 baserunners but facing 4 batters with 1 IP (GIDP's)

Total of 48 (of 76) appearances

So 28, more than 1/3 of his appearances, he allowed at least two runners and faced 5 or more batters? lol...good stats to find, Jon.

Love K-Rod's heart and fire and what he did in 2002. At that price for those results, I don't miss him. Good to see my eyes tell the same story the numbers do.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #366
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't be happy paying any more than 5 mil a season, and I'm very glad the Angels didn't bite.

Wait, so you're actually an Angels fan, too? I figured with all the stuff I talk about with the Angels, you would have responded by now, so I assumed you're a Dodgers fan.

It would be nice if I didn't have to carry the Halos' banner alone.

Oh, and I 100% agree with you.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #367
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
IIRC, you compared him to Wagner initially. I was responding to that.

Yes, in response to CR saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
And frankly I will be very interested to see how Franky reacts the first time he is taken to task by the New York media for the usual BS he brings, where he doesn't even seem to try until he gets two runners on.

So if he's first effective after allowing runners to reach, and Wagner isn't effective after allowing runners to reach, that's the improvement I'm talking about .
Old 12-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So 28, more than 1/3 of his appearances, he allowed at least two runners and faced 5 or more batters? lol...good stats to find, Jon.

22 appearances of 5 batters or more, and unless I miscounted one somewhere the rest should be appearances with more than one baserunner in less than one inning of work.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #369
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Actually, I thought Logan's response was pretty funny at the time (and still do). I'll take back partly my agreement with bhhloy. I WOULD have paid K-Rod $5 M. That's not that much in the baseball scheme of things.

Seven figures, though? No way. I have nothing against the Mets or K-Rod, and as I said before, I hope it works out great for them. I'm also glad he's in thge other league in the furthest division he could get. But the realist in me says there is a lot of room for "regret" in the deal he just signed, and I am quite happy we didn't give him the same (and we actually offered it to him, or close to it, back when he and his agent were deluded in thinking they could get more).

Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #370
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
22 appearances of 5 batters or more, and unless I miscounted one somewhere the rest should be appearances with more than one baserunner in less than one inning of work.

76-48, didn't you put up? That's 28.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #371
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh never mind. I forgot about the less than one inning appearances.

That's still a lot.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #372
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

NY Post reporting that CC Sabathia has accepted the Yankees' offer.

CC SABATHIA PICKS YANKEES - New York Post

Other outlets reporting on the Post report, so no true independent confirmation yet.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #373
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Actually, I thought Logan's response was pretty funny at the time (and still do).

Thanks man!

Quote:
I'll take back partly my agreement with bhhloy. I WOULD have paid K-Rod $5 M. That's not that much in the baseball scheme of things.

Yeah, when average setup guys are being paid in that range, you can't tell me K-Rod isn't worth $2-3MM more.

Quote:
Seven figures, though? No way. I have nothing against the Mets or K-Rod, and as I said before, I hope it works out great for them. I'm also glad he's in thge other league in the furthest division he could get. But the realist in me says there is a lot of room for "regret" in the deal he just signed, and I am quite happy we didn't give him the same (and we actually offered it to him, or close to it, back when he and his agent were deluded in thinking they could get more).

(assume you mean 8 figures) I totally see where you're coming from; hell, I said your comments throughout the season were the primary reason why I was hesitant about getting him in the first place. For the same reason that you're able to paint a better picture of his performance than the average fan would see by looking at his numbers, I can do the same with Wagner -- that was my point in the last few posts. Look, the money doesn't matter. The Mets are basically printing it these days and will never NOT go after a player because they have $12MM tied up in K-Rod. But they would possibly stay away from upgrading that position if someone became available in 2010 if they had him on the books for 3 more years instead of 1, if he had gotten the original 5 year deal (plus a possible option) he wanted. Barring a catastrophic drop in performance, he should be fine for this short deal.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #374
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
NY Post reporting that CC Sabathia has accepted the Yankees' offer.

CC SABATHIA PICKS YANKEES - New York Post

Other outlets reporting on the Post report, so no true independent confirmation yet.

But.. but.. he has a home out on the West Coast and he liked his time in Milwaukee. I just can't believe he took the highest offer.

I'm... I'm.. I'm just shocked. I mean, who saw that coming?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #375
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL!
Old 12-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #376
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I can't remember many 1-2-3 innings or even 1-2-3-4 innings for that matter.

Everybody wants the "lights out" 1-2-3 closer, and he just doesn't exist. I think Angles fans are underrating K-Rod quite a bit.

Last edited by molson : 12-10-2008 at 08:51 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #377
Logan
Head Coach

What's funny is listening to Yankee fans who, just yesterday when it seemed like Sabathia really was going to end up out west, said things along the lines of "He's not that good anyway!", "He doesn't deserve a deal like Santana!", "He's going to be 350 lbs in Year 3 of that deal!", etc...and now they all have to backpedal.

BTW, this just got me thinking, and maybe I'm completely wrong...but aren't there very few Yankee fans on this board, at least comparitively speaking? Unless they have just been very quiet since their last WS title, I can't think of many off the top of my head.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #378
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Everybody wants the "lights out" 1-2-3 closer, and he just doesn't exist. I think Angles fans are underrating K-Rod quite a bit.

Kind of my original point...Mariano still qualifies, Papelbon does too...then you have guys who have come close to fitting recently but are still unproven long term. Putz, Lidge, Jenks probably fit into that second tier? And even Lidge...perfect in save chances all year...but I saw a decent number of Phillies games and he was definitely far from lights out, and many saves came after an adventure.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #379
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Here is hoping that C.C. is known as Hideki Irabu II.

I would love to see the Yank-mees payroll hit $400 million and they win 72 games.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #380
RedKingGold
College Starter

7-years and 160 million.

Wow.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #381
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What will be higher...CC's weight or the Yankees Payroll in millions?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #382
RedKingGold
College Starter

By signing F-Rod, the Mets have guaranteed that their young players will be able to "see" a World Series ring before they retire.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 12-10-2008 at 09:55 AM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #383
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
BTW, this just got me thinking, and maybe I'm completely wrong...but aren't there very few Yankee fans on this board, at least comparitively speaking? Unless they have just been very quiet since their last WS title, I can't think of many off the top of my head.

I'm a Yankee fan, but I'm primarily a lurker. I'm also not an annoying Yankee fan who thinks that if the Yankees lose, it's because of some massive conspiracy. I'm also not one of those fans who sit there and whine when the Yankees don't get their person and take a stupid dig at the player. If I do take a dig, it has nothing to do if the player is with the Yankees or not. (I do take issue with Red Sox fans, though, at least the obnoxious bandwagon ones that have suddenly appeared since 2004. But the real bad ones seem to be those who just became fans. I have a hard time taking issue with the team. I particularly like the Red Sox younger players. Varitek, though--a tool Ortiz--still bitter over the fact that Steinbrenner could have had him).
That having been said, I do think Sabathia is going to balloon to 350 lbs in year 3 of the Yankee contract. I don't think he's worth the 7 year, 160 million dollar deal. And I'm not sure if he'll be able to take the "We think we're better than you cuz we're in NY" NY media.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #384
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sounds like Furcal is down to LA and KC. Moore has already said that Aviles would move to 2B if the Royals were able to sign Furcal.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #385
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I'm a Yankee fan, but I'm primarily a lurker. I'm also not an annoying Yankee fan who thinks that if the Yankees lose, it's because of some massive conspiracy. I'm also not one of those fans who sit there and whine when the Yankees don't get their person and take a stupid dig at the player. If I do take a dig, it has nothing to do if the player is with the Yankees or not. (I do take issue with Red Sox fans, though, at least the obnoxious bandwagon ones that have suddenly appeared since 2004. But the real bad ones seem to be those who just became fans. I have a hard time taking issue with the team. I particularly like the Red Sox younger players. Varitek, though--a tool Ortiz--still bitter over the fact that Steinbrenner could have had him).
That having been said, I do think Sabathia is going to balloon to 350 lbs in year 3 of the Yankee contract. I don't think he's worth the 7 year, 160 million dollar deal. And I'm not sure if he'll be able to take the "We think we're better than you cuz we're in NY" NY media.

We must clone this lurker and replace the rest of those tools with him!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #386
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
(I do take issue with Red Sox fans, though, at least the obnoxious bandwagon ones that have suddenly appeared since 2004. But the real bad ones seem to be those who just became fans)

Unlike the rash of Yankee fans who suddenly appeared since 1998.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #387
Logan
Head Coach

Updates on Yankee deals:

The $160MM Sabathia deal reportedly includes an opt-out clause after 2011. He will have been paid $69MM for those 3 years by then.

They are reportedly also close to signing Derek Lowe to a 4 year, $66MM deal.

I'm not sure which is worse.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #388
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

One post, and I already like the local FOFC Yanks fanbase more than the FOFC Red Sox fanbase!

Old 12-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #389
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I stand by my claim that Sabathia is going to be 350 lbs by year 3. The dude is so fat already, and his waist just keeps expanding. Now multiply that by 10 with all the money he is getting.

Oh man this will be sweet.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #390
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is truly the silly season. No point in living and dying with each mlbtraderumors.com update.

I loved the Francouer for Greinke rumor that came out of the Boston Globe yesterday. I can't believe real beat writers are allowed to report these sorts of things.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #391
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Look, the money doesn't matter. The Mets are basically printing it these days and will never NOT go after a player because they have $12MM tied up in K-Rod. But they would possibly stay away from upgrading that position if someone became available in 2010 if they had him on the books for 3 more years instead of 1, if he had gotten the original 5 year deal (plus a possible option) he wanted. Barring a catastrophic drop in performance, he should be fine for this short deal.

BJ Ryan 5/$47
Joe Nathan 4/$47
Francisco Cordero 4/$46
Mariano Rivera 3/$45
Billy Wagner (older) 4/$42
Brad Lidge 3/$37.5

Like I posted already. I can't believe the deals that can be had this year when you're comparing this year to the last 2 years. You can get a great bargain, players at 2/3rds the cost they were over the past couple of years. I'll have a post about this in a little bit.

Where does KRod fit in compared to those deals?

SI

Old 12-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #392
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Updates on Yankee deals:

The $160MM Sabathia deal reportedly includes an opt-out clause after 2011. He will have been paid $69MM for those 3 years by then.

They are reportedly also close to signing Derek Lowe to a 4 year, $66MM deal.

I'm not sure which is worse.

Derek Lowe + Yankee Infield = Death by 1000 Ground Balls
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #393
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Sounds like Furcal is down to LA and KC. Moore has already said that Aviles would move to 2B if the Royals were able to sign Furcal.

I'll believe it when I see it- if he goes after him, we have a decent shot but I'm not sure money is available. Not only that but no one is taking on Guillen in this market. Also, I think the market for Furcal is about 6 teams deep. That said, I'd love to see him in the Royals lineup. Still, defensive stats, admittedly in their infancy, are showing that Aviles was halfways decent at SS so it's not the gaping hole people thought.

SI

Old 12-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #394
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Like I posted already. I can't believe the deals that can be had this year when you're comparing this year to the last 2 years. You can get a great bargain, players at 2/3rds the cost they were over the past couple of years. I'll have a post about this in a little bit.

Were I the GM of a mid-market team, I would definitely push to sign as many people as possible this offseason. Of course, your owner might not comply, but you could really do well for yourself with some of the numbers that have been floated over the last couple of days.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #395
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
BJ Ryan 5/$47
Joe Nathan 4/$47
Francisco Cordero 4/$46
Mariano Rivera 3/$45
Billy Wagner (older) 4/$42
Brad Lidge 3/$37.5

Where does KRod fit in compared to those deals?

SI

Nathan and Rivera--worth it. They shut their opponents down. When they come in, you get that "game over" feeling. I don't really get that with the other relievers, and I know firsthand you don't get that with K-Rod.

All that said, yeah, this year's depressed market certainly helped the Mets get a good deal next to past year's dealings for closers.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #396
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

man...CC is gonna get HUGE in NYC. Not only all the $$, but all the good food he's gonna be eating...sheeyit.

oh, and i really hope lowe doesn't go to the yankees. would be sad to see that from the perspective of a sox fan, a member of that team signing with the Yankees (and no, Damon doesn't count. he was a rent-a-player, unlike Lowe, who had been with the Sox for years+years)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #397
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Here are all the "big" contracts from the last 2 years, vaguely by position (P, IF, OF).

Lilly 4/40
Meche 5/55
Pavano 4/40
Suppan 4/42
Silva 4/48
Kuroda 3/35
Matsuzaka 6/52 (+51M posting, 6/103 really)
Batista 3/25
Eaton 3/24
Marquis 3/21
Schmidt 3/46
Zito 7/126
Burnett? Lowe? Sheets? Perez?
Closers? Fuentes? Wood?

Posada 4/52
Lugo 4/36
Huff 3/20
Garciaparra 2/18.5
Durham 2/14
Teixiera? Fucal? Hudson? Cabrera?

Guillen 3/36
A Jones 2/36
Fukodome 4/48
Rowand 5/60
Hunter 5/90
Pierre 5/44
Matthews 5/50
Soriano 8/136
Lee 6/100
Edmonds 2/19
Manny? Dunn? Burrell? Ibanez? Bradley? Abreu?

Just out of curiousity, I'm pretty sure the deals from this year are going to end up in the much lower side of the spectrum compared to their talent level.

SI

Old 12-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #398
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Were I the GM of a mid-market team, I would definitely push to sign as many people as possible this offseason. Of course, your owner might not comply, but you could really do well for yourself with some of the numbers that have been floated over the last couple of days.

Hell, I'd love Dunn at 3/36 or Sheets and Burrell at the couple of numbers I've seen around. Heck, I wouldn't even mind guaranteeing that extra year if it's at a depressed level. The one caveat to all this is that it looks like CC and Tex will get theirs but everyone else is a level cheaper than in year's past.

SI

Old 12-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #399
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nathan and Rivera--worth it. They shut their opponents down. When they come in, you get that "game over" feeling

And don't get me wrong- I know exactly what you mean. We have a "game over" closer- it's just that he doesn't get the attention the larger ones get. Oh, and we just locked him up for 3 years with 3 more years of club options

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-10-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #400
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I like Soriano. He's a good one. He needs to pitch longer to get the rep you're giving him, but he's well on his way.

I am actually reasonably certain the Angels' pen will blow less saves next year than the Mets. Shields and Arredondo will get first shot, and both seem steadier. Then we have a fireballer in Kevin Jepsen who is being groomed, and will probably be in one of the key setup roles. And we have Kelvim Escobar as likely headed for the pen for the rest of 2009 when he heals up from his surgery.

So I'm not too worried about losing K-Rod. I think we could be better than last year.