Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #451
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Bound in Blood out this week. I've been waiting for this one for a while but it doesn't seem to have too much buzz around it. Anyone else planning on buying?

Fun game. It took 7 hours game time to beat but probably 12-13 total as failed stuff doesn't count. I played it on Hard and it was pretty damn hard. I am not sure it's worth more then a rental if you don't like playing online, but the online (from the hour or two I played it) was pretty enjoyable.

That said I plan on trading it in soon and getting ready for the crush of Fall and Winter games coming.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #452
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Quick question. I haven't played either Madden or NCAA Football since moving to a next-gen platform. Did they ever bring back "coach-only mode," where you just call the plays and the game actually plays things out for you? This was always my favorite way to play on the PS2, but I know it was an issue when they first moved the games to next-gen.

Thanks.

Wasn't that the point of integrating the Head Coach 09 development team into Madden 10? I thought that the dynasty stuff and the coach mode were the two big things that they wanted that team to implement in the new version of Madden 10.

I'd advise against touching NCAA 10 with a 20 foot pole. It has some major issues to say the least.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #453
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Fun game. It took 7 hours game time to beat but probably 12-13 total as failed stuff doesn't count. I played it on Hard and it was pretty damn hard. I am not sure it's worth more then a rental if you don't like playing online, but the online (from the hour or two I played it) was pretty enjoyable.

That said I plan on trading it in soon and getting ready for the crush of Fall and Winter games coming.

Thanks for the info. After reading reviews, I held off on it becauase it sounded like the single player mode was blah which is how I play almost exclusively.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #454
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Anyone played the Punisher game yet on PSN? $10 is awfully tempting for a full game. Didn't know if anyone had given it a spin yet.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #455
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty good bundle deal at Best Buy if you're looking for a PS3. $399 for a 80 GB PS3 with Killzone 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218099072505
Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #456
RainMaker
General Manager

Battlefield 1943 is being released today on the 360 (if it hasn't been already) and tomorrow on the PS3. It's supposedly a revamped version of the old game and only $15 online through the arcade or store.

Am I the only one checking this out today?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #457
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Battlefield 1943 is being released today on the 360 (if it hasn't been already) and tomorrow on the PS3. It's supposedly a revamped version of the old game and only $15 online through the arcade or store.

I may check this out - cant beat the price...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #458
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I've heard it has some balance issues at this point from one of the testers, but I'm sure I'll give it a whirl.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #459
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I've heard it has some balance issues at this point from one of the testers, but I'm sure I'll give it a whirl.
What does balance issues mean for someone who doesn't play a lot of these type of games?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #460
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
What does balance issues mean for someone who doesn't play a lot of these type of games?

Various weapons/vehicles are ideally balanced so each has its strengths/weaknesses so no particular weapon or vehicle has a big advantage. I'm sure it will be refined as they move forward. If there is an imbalance, you'll see a large number of veteran players trying to use the same vehicles/weapons to take advantage of it.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #461
MikeVic
Head Coach

Isn't Battlefield Bad Company around $20 right now? I've heard it's a fun game.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #462
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, it's one of my favorites out there right now. Online play is a blast.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #463
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Isn't Battlefield Bad Company around $20 right now? I've heard it's a fun game.

Pretty sure that Battlefield 1943 is based on that game engine.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #464
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Brutal Legend Video Game, Tim Schafer Introductory Walkthrough HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

17+ minute video.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #465
Calis
College Starter

Anyone here tried out Demon's Soul on the PS3? It isn't out stateside, but apparently the Chinese version has full English text/Voices. I have heard the most gushing reviews from people who played it.

The way I take it is as an extremely hardcore action RPG game that's a bit Roguelike. No story at all basically, and apparently awesome level design and atmosphere where any bad guy can kill you. You will die lots.

I've been reading a massive thread at QuartertoThree.com about it and am seriously considering importing it. I believe a US release has been announced for later this year.

Was curious if anyone here knew much about it. Watched some youtube videos on it which were underwhelming, but videos often don't do justice to games.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #466
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Anyone here tried out Demon's Soul on the PS3? It isn't out stateside, but apparently the Chinese version has full English text/Voices. I have heard the most gushing reviews from people who played it.

The way I take it is as an extremely hardcore action RPG game that's a bit Roguelike. No story at all basically, and apparently awesome level design and atmosphere where any bad guy can kill you. You will die lots.

I've been reading a massive thread at QuartertoThree.com about it and am seriously considering importing it. I believe a US release has been announced for later this year.

Was curious if anyone here knew much about it. Watched some youtube videos on it which were underwhelming, but videos often don't do justice to games.

Fantastic game. I'll be picking up the English version when it comes out. Neogaf has a monsterous thread (112 pages) if you're looking for info. The last 30-40 pages cover more recent info surrounding the English release...........

Official Demon's Souls thread of soul devouring and King's Field nostalgia / Feb. 5 / - NeoGAF
Old 07-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #467
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Anyone able to get on and play? I haven't d/l it but want to when I get baby sleep tonight but I have heard they are having serious connection problems @ launch...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 07-08-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #468
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Picked up The Bigs 2 today. Crazy, arcade baseball fun. No need to worry about sliders, realistic stats. Just having a blast. Played my cousin online and it was perfect...no lag, tons of fun.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #469
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Picked up The Bigs 2 today. Crazy, arcade baseball fun. No need to worry about sliders, realistic stats. Just having a blast. Played my cousin online and it was perfect...no lag, tons of fun.
Yeah, I played it a ton last night. I immediately put it on the hard level because I thought medium would be too easy. The hard level kicked my ass about a dozen times, but I'm leaving it there. I just need to learn to lay off pitches out of the strike zone and I'll be fine. Great game, though.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #470
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Anyone able to get on and play? I haven't d/l it but want to when I get baby sleep tonight but I have heard they are having serious connection problems @ launch...
No I haven't. Don't bother buying it yet, you won't be able to play. Typical EA.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #471
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I need to d/l The Bigs 2 demo
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #472
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Yeah, I played it a ton last night. I immediately put it on the hard level because I thought medium would be too easy. The hard level kicked my ass about a dozen times, but I'm leaving it there. I just need to learn to lay off pitches out of the strike zone and I'll be fine. Great game, though.

My biggest problem right now is that medium is too easy and hard is too hard. I'm going to put it on hard as well...but I won something like 1 out of 10.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #473
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post

Unbelievable. EA releases an online only game and then have a glut of users hit the servers only to say they "didn't expect the demand".

Is there a publisher in existance at this point that bothers to ramp up servers to meet release demand? It's almost laughable.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #474
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Anyone home to see if the BF 1943 servers are up for the 360? I'm hoping they are for tonight! Nothing like paying for a game (I know - only $15) and not able to play it

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 07-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #475
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
To each his own. I found the game a steaming pile of horse dung.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #476
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
To each his own. I found the game a steaming pile of horse dung.
Moreso than the first one? At least to me, it's better than the first game, which I thought was a lot of fun.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #477
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Moreso than the first one? At least to me, it's better than the first game, which I thought was a lot of fun.
I'm admittedly mainly interested in a baseball sim, so The Bigs series really isn't geared towards me. The last console baseball game I bought was MVP '06 NCAA Baseball. I'd play that one any day over either of The Bigs.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #478
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm admittedly mainly interested in a baseball sim, so The Bigs series really isn't geared towards me. The last console baseball game I bought was MVP '06 NCAA Baseball. I'd play that one any day over either of The Bigs.

Well if you're looking for a baseball sim, of course you think it's a steaming pile.

I will say though that the game could get old pretty fast. I'll prob play online a bit but I don't see myself hanging on to this any more than a month.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #479
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Red Faction...

I'm probably about a third of the way through the game and it just might be a top 5 of all time for me.

Had to rescue someone from a building and the ladder was blown off, so I took it slow and used my sledgehammer to smash pieces of the building until the 2nd floor was at ground level.. great stuff!

I can knock out a few hours in what seems like only a short time.

If you like games where things constantly blow up all around you.. at least give the demo a try.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #480
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

May have to trade in a couple games and get Red Faction after all the good talk about it.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #481
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
May have to trade in a couple games and get Red Faction after all the good talk about it.

It's crazy good!

Oh how I love the rocket launcher!!! Muuuhaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #482
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting leak over on a French site regarding PS3 release dates this fall.

1. Little Big Planet: GOTY Edition in early September
2. Uncharted 2 in September.
3. Ratchet and Clank at end of November
4. Gran Turismo slated for holiday 2009 release (not terribly surprising given that game is feature-ready and they need a counter to Forza release)
5. Singstar: Michael Jackson slated for November release. Originally, the MJ songs were expected to be released with Lionel Richie and Barry Manilow songs per the 2008 announcement. Sony now has a cash-cow on their hands and is going to release the Michael Jackson stand-alone title. Big boost for Sony in the Singstar-crazy Europe and Japan.

PS3Blog.net » Blog Archive » French Website Claims to Have Release Dates For the Rest of 2009
Old 07-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #483
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Anyone doing Club Nintendo- awards were announced this morning for Platinum and Gold members from last year.

Platinum: Mario Hat or Wii downloadable "Doc Louis's Punch-out!!"
Gold: Calendar

I think I'm going to go with the Mario hat, myself, since I'll be getting Punch Out when I get around to it so the appeal of one extra battle is not as appealing to me.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #484
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Bioshock 2 delayed to the first half of 2010:

Destructoid - BioShock 2 release delayed until fiscal 2010 (Update)

PS3 selling 40% less this year then last year at this time. They'd have to sell 70% more year over year the rest of the fiscal year to meet their announced goal of 30% growth in sales of the PS3.

Dubious Quality: Console Post Of The Week: It's Just Math
Old 07-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #485
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
PS3 selling 40% less this year then last year at this time. They'd have to sell 70% more year over year the rest of the fiscal year to meet their announced goal of 30% growth in sales of the PS3.

Dubious Quality: Console Post Of The Week: It's Just Math

Bill did a good job of covering all the obvious hints there. Sony execs are just hoping to sell off as many old models as they can before announcing the price cut. Without question, there will be a price drop this year and it will sell very well once it happens. Selling 70% for the rest of the fiscal year (through March 2010) really won't be that difficult given the software lineup through end of March and the reduction in price of the console. Let's not forget that it's 70% of last year's sales, which weren't honestly all that good. It's not as high of a bar as that percentage would indicate.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #486
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bill did a good job of covering all the obvious hints there. Sony execs are just hoping to sell off as many old models as they can before announcing the price cut. Without question, there will be a price drop this year and it will sell very well once it happens. Selling 70% for the rest of the fiscal year (through March 2010) really won't be that difficult given the software lineup through end of March and the reduction in price of the console. Let's not forget that it's 70% of last year's sales, which weren't honestly all that good. It's not as high of a bar as that percentage would indicate.

They're not going to sell 70% year over year (ie, last year's sales +70%) in this economy. Period.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #487
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And that link leads me to see the GH5 trailer for the first time. Looks better but the band list was, as my son put it "worst set list ever". Only DLC would make it of interest to us, but then again, I don't think we're the target for this one.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #488
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
70% for the rest of the fiscal year (through March 2010) really won't be that difficult given the software lineup through end of March and the reduction in price of the console. Let's not forget that it's 70% of last year's sales, which weren't honestly all that good. It's not as high of a bar as that percentage would indicate.

Don't all indications point to them reducing it by $50? I don't think that will vault the sales that much. I think they need to get it under $300 to get a get a big increase.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #489
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Anyone doing Club Nintendo- awards were announced this morning for Platinum and Gold members from last year.

Platinum: Mario Hat or Wii downloadable "Doc Louis's Punch-out!!"
Gold: Calendar

I think I'm going to go with the Mario hat, myself, since I'll be getting Punch Out when I get around to it so the appeal of one extra battle is not as appealing to me.

SI

Nintendo hasn't released enough games I've wanted lately for me to qualify for Platinum

I hadn't logged in for awhile but did just now for the calendar. It's interesting that Nintendo are now offering points for doing surveys for third-party games (even third-party Virtual Console games, I just got ten points each for sharing my thoughts on Uncharted Waters: New Horizons and Ogre Battle) when before they only did surveys for Nintendo published retail games.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #490
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:

This gets my usual response when a title I am eagerly anticipating gets delayed. Anger at first, but quickly giving way to "that's OK...take your time and do a good job." I'd rather wait a little while longer for a quality product.

Thank God none of my favorite titles are EA products.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #491
aran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Nintendo hasn't released enough games I've wanted lately for me to qualify for Platinum

I hadn't logged in for awhile but did just now for the calendar. It's interesting that Nintendo are now offering points for doing surveys for third-party games (even third-party Virtual Console games, I just got ten points each for sharing my thoughts on Uncharted Waters: New Horizons and Ogre Battle) when before they only did surveys for Nintendo published retail games.

Ogre Battle!??!?! I would buy a Wii if they made a new Ogre Battle game for it. What an amazing series.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #492
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Don't all indications point to them reducing it by $50? I don't think that will vault the sales that much. I think they need to get it under $300 to get a get a big increase.

$50? If that's all they reduce it they'll never sell. I understand Sony's position about losing money on them making them but they have been so stubborn in their behavior that they are destroying themselves.

In addition, they made a console above where the average person is willing to go right now. In many ways I think they're five years too early for what they've built and of course by then, they'll be making a new console that'll be over what people are willing to buy.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #493
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Shouldn't you have lost the right to make definitive statements regarding the prognosis of any video game related events at this point? My God.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #494
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post

The price moves this fall have already been leaked by the Ars "Mole", who hasn't missed on a prediction this generation. The PS3 will drop to $299 right around the Madden 10 release. We should hear a lot more about it anytime now given that the weekly sales stuff at retailers is printed 3-4 weeks in advance. The Xbox Pro will be removed and the Xbox Elite will be sold at the Pro price. Basically a model swap for Microsoft. Obviously a move to target the ability to load games to the hard drive.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-14-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #495
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Shouldn't you have lost the right to make definitive statements regarding the prognosis of any video game related events at this point? My God.

A $100 price drop coupled with the rumored release of Gran Turismo 5 this fall and Final Fantasy XIII in March will create a substantial surge in PS3 sales. The failings of the management in the past aside, it's not terribly difficult to see what's going to happen in the coming months. They should easily meet their goals in North America.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-14-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #496
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
A $100 price drop coupled with the rumored release of Gran Turismo 5 this fall and Final Fantasy XIII in March will create a substantial surge in PS3 sales. The failings of the management in the past aside, it's not terribly difficult to see what's going to happen in the coming months. They should easily meet their goals in North America.

I'm cool with my PS3, but I don't see it really doing much more this generation.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #497
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
A $100 price drop coupled with the rumored release of Gran Turismo 5 this fall and Final Fantasy XIII in March will create a substantial surge in PS3 sales. The failings of the management in the past aside, it's not terribly difficult to see what's going to happen in the coming months.

Thank you for the clarification, oh wondrous Oracle.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #498
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification, oh wondrous Oracle.

Next time, just cut to the chase and say you're going to be a jerk so I don't have to waste my time making a reasoned discussion point. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #499
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Next time, just cut to the chase and say you're going to be a jerk so I don't have to waste my time making a reasoned discussion point. Thanks.

I don't think 'reasoned' means what you think it means. Also, if you couldn't tell I was being a jerk from my first post you're dumber than I thought.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #500
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't think 'reasoned' means what you think it means. Also, if you couldn't tell I was being a jerk from my first post you're dumber than I thought.

My apologies. I was hoping you'd show respect to another poster despite your tone if I replied in a respectful manner the first time. If your solely interested in being a jerk, move along. The thread was relatively flame-free until your post.