Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #51
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Resident Evil 5 demo is out.

So fucking good. This is gonna be the best game of 09 for sure.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #52
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

What may have been the worst kept secret of 2008 was finally confirmed. Dead Rising 2 will be multiplatform. Sounds like they'll toss in some content on the 360 so 360 gamers don't feel jilted over the move.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #53
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

I'm getting a bit worried that the hype may be overblown on this game. Some of the impressions of the demo I have seen thus far are luke-warm. Certainly, you shouldn't base the demo impression on what the final game will be like, but it's a bit concerning. We'll assume it's just an average demo.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #54
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

A sequel to Boom Blox will be out this spring.

Quote:
Spielberg, EA play "Boom Blox" sequel

By David Ward

SAN DIEGO (Hollywood Reporter) - Steven Spielberg and Electronic Arts are teaming for the second game in their partnership, "Boom Blox Bash Party," which will be available in the spring for the Nintendo Wii.

The new game is a sequel to last year's "Boom Blox" and promises increased multiplayer action and more than 400 new levels that take players from under water into outer space.

"'Boom Blox Bash Party' is a wild social gaming experience," Spielberg said. "We know families and friends really enjoyed playing the original 'Boom Blox' together, so we designed more explosive multiplayer experiences with 'Boom Blox Bash Party.'"

Among the new features the game will offer is an online component that enables users to download additional levels from Electronic Arts as well as other "Boom Blox Bash Party" players.

The announcement of the sequel comes just as the Entertainment Software Association released a study noting a surge in family-friendly titles, which now account for more than half of all game sales.

The "Boom Blox" franchise is the result of a 2005 deal between EA and Spielberg to collaborate on three original properties.

The original "Boom Blox" is one of the finalists for 2008 Family Game of the Year at next month's Interactive Achievement Awards presented by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

link
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #55
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Honeslty I can't think of another video game were my wife, daughter, and I all sit down to play together. We did it the other night. The wife and daughter will play the Sims together, or my daughter will play other games with me (Skate 2 right now), but nothing were the three of us sit there and swap controllers all enjoying it. Boom Blox 2 will be pretty cool to have, though we really are not that far into Boom Blox yet.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #56
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm getting a bit worried that the hype may be overblown on this game. Some of the impressions of the demo I have seen thus far are luke-warm. Certainly, you shouldn't base the demo impression on what the final game will be like, but it's a bit concerning. We'll assume it's just an average demo.

I do agree to an extent. The problem is if you never played RE4, then RE5 is gonna seem clunky because it's the same controls. but RE4 is still one of my 5 favorite games ever.

The online co-op is a blast though.

I think the 360 owners new to RE5 will probably not like RE5 as much as the guys who have played it since its PS only days.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #57
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Killzone 2 preorder deal on Amazon. $52 shipped with coupon code KZ2SAVE5.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #58
DeToxRox
Head Coach

GTA 4: Lost and the Damned DLC comes out the 17th. It's 20 bucks and 2 GB of memory, but looks amazing:

Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #59
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

$20? And I would have to spend money to hook my 360 up to the internet. I will probably pass, sadly.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #60
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
$20? And I would have to spend money to hook my 360 up to the internet. I will probably pass, sadly.

Supposedly it's like 5 hours of totally new gameplay.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #61
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Certainly, you shouldn't base the demo impression on what the final game will be like

I thought that was the point of the company making the demo, and of you playing it.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #62
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I thought that was the point of the company making the demo, and of you playing it.

If only that were true. The release of alpha/beta builds as a demo is never a good idea, yet it seems to be occuring with increasing frequency, especially in the console market.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #63
MJ4H
Coordinator

Sonic and Mario are heading to the Winter Olympics, as expected. Original game sold like hotcakes, so this was a no-brainer.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #64
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Sonic and Mario are heading to the Winter Olympics, as expected. Original game sold like hotcakes, so this was a no-brainer.

I'd love to see a rebirth of the Sonic franchise. I grew up playing it non-stop on the Genesis and have been frustrated with the iterations in general since that console. It's a great character with just as much potential as Mario if done properly.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #65
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I don't know whether this will affect your decision, but I do know that Microsoft will be allowing free access to the 'Gold' content for the first few days after release of the GTA DLC, so you don't have to purchase a Gold membership to download the content.

I personally think this is a pretty heavy duty money grab for what basically amounts to a 5 hour career mode, but I'm sure there are some fans that will pay for it. I'm sure that sales of this content would have been MUCH better had they released it last fall.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #66
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Here's a sweet video for MadWorld which comes out in a few weeks. Looking forward to this one. Solid commentary as well:

"Would really want your kids to see any of this?"
"Sure why not? Don't want to raise a society full of pussies"

ign.com link

Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics better have curling as one of the sports or I'm gonna be pissed. Wii Motion Plus support would also be cool.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #67
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't know whether this will affect your decision, but I do know that Microsoft will be allowing free access to the 'Gold' content for the first few days after release of the GTA DLC, so you don't have to purchase a Gold membership to download the content.

I personally think this is a pretty heavy duty money grab for what basically amounts to a 5 hour career mode, but I'm sure there are some fans that will pay for it. I'm sure that sales of this content would have been MUCH better had they released it last fall.

Eh, it doesn't effect my decision too much really. I wouldn't mind paying for XBox Live I guess, but I think at this point I refuse to pay to actually connect my XBox to the internet. My only real option is to get a wireless connector for it and I refuse to pay $100 for one. Using a CAT 5 cable would just be a pain with having to get an 50'+ wire to run across my house. The money I could have spent on that went into the PS3 instead.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #68
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Eh, it doesn't effect my decision too much really. I wouldn't mind paying for XBox Live I guess, but I think at this point I refuse to pay to actually connect my XBox to the internet. My only real option is to get a wireless connector for it and I refuse to pay $100 for one. Using a CAT 5 cable would just be a pain with having to get an 50'+ wire to run across my house. The money I could have spent on that went into the PS3 instead.

You don't have to get the MS $100 wireless device to connect wirelessly. There are a few $20 wireless bridges you can get from NewEgg that will work just fine.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #69
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

I connect mine through my laptop, cable from xbox to laptop then uses the laptop's wireless connectivity:

Go wireless with your XBox 360, without the $100 MS adapter

If that's an option for you.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #70
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
You don't have to get the MS $100 wireless device to connect wirelessly. There are a few $20 wireless bridges you can get from NewEgg that will work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I connect mine through my laptop, cable from xbox to laptop then uses the laptop's wireless connectivity:

Go wireless with your XBox 360, without the $100 MS adapter

If that's an option for you.

Ok, see these two things may be legit ways to do it, thanks guys. I have searched for ways in the past as late as October I think it was and never really saw anything that looked reasonable. I guess I was not using the right search terms or something.

Newegg and through the laptop. Will consider it, I still want to try GTA IV online even if I don't get the DLC for it.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #71
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics better have curling as one of the sports or I'm gonna be pissed.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #72
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Anyone tried Star Ocean: The Last Hope yet? The commercials look interesting and early user reviews on Gamestop are averaging a 9.1 so I'm considering picking it up.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-28-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #73
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I recommend that anyone who grew up playing video games in the eighties pick up Retro Game Challenge for DS, it's pretty sweet so far with lots of nerd humor in between the games.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #74
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm playing Nobu Nobu Boy... yeah.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #75
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I recommend that anyone who grew up playing video games in the eighties pick up Retro Game Challenge for DS, it's pretty sweet so far with lots of nerd humor in between the games.

How did I miss this one? As soon as someone has some silly sale where it drops to $20, it's mine. (this seems like the type of game that will be clearanced out for $10 easy so I can't spent too much on it- it's just how I am)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #76
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I'm playing Nobu Nobu Boy... yeah.

Really want to try that one, it looks like just the sort of oddball that I'd love, and I was a huge Katamari fan.

I can't pull myself away from Street Fighter 4 long enough to buy it though.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #77
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Just picked up Street Fighter IV myself yesterday. Can't say it's really sunk it's hooks into me very deep just yet. I mostly got it because I loved SF2 and SF2-Turbo on the old SNES.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 03-02-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Spelling FTW!
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #78
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

EA's coming out with a Tournament edition of their college basketball game. Has the rosters and tournament only (no season play). $15 download on Xbox 360.

Exclusive: First Look at NCAA Basketball 09: March Madness Edition - GameSpot Sports Beat - Gaming News and Videos For Sports Video Games - Football Video Games - Baseball Video Games
Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #79
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Really want to try that one, it looks like just the sort of oddball that I'd love, and I was a huge Katamari fan.

I can't pull myself away from Street Fighter 4 long enough to buy it though.

It's cool that you can upload videos directly to youtube. The place will be flooded with crap like my video here:
Old 03-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #80
Ramzavail
College Starter

what the hell is that
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #81
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MikeVic.. wtf?

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #82
MikeVic
Head Coach

That's the $5 downloadable "game" released last week.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #83
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just read that Dragon Age for the PC has been delayed until November "to consolidate the marketing campaign with the console version and polish it further." I'm disappointed as I was looking forward to playing it, but plenty of other stuff to catch up on (if I can ever tear myself away from College Hoops 2k8.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #84
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I must say they timed Map Pack 1 for COD:WaW fairly well. Online play was dipping a little (on PSN anyways) and my interest had faded some. Now things have kicked back into high gear though. Three great maps added, worth $10 for sure.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #85
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Max Payne 3 announced for Winter 2009...........

Quote:
Rockstar Games Announces Max Payne 3 for Winter 2009

New York, NY – March 23, 2009 – Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is proud to announce that Max Payne 3 is currently in development and scheduled for a winter 2009 release on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and PC. Developed by Rockstar Vancouver, Max Payne 3 tells the story of a retired police detective embroiled in a world of corruption, turmoil and intense violence.

The award-winning Max Payne franchise put players in the role of Max Payne, a hard-boiled New York City detective with a penchant for violence, out to avenge the death of his family. The latest installment delivers more of the classic elements and hyper-intense action that fans have come to love, while moving the story of Max in a new direction.

“We’re starting a new chapter of Max’s life with this game,” said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. “This is Max as we’ve never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his last chance for salvation.”

Since leaving the NYPD and New York itself behind, Max has drifted from bad to worse. Double-crossed and a long way from home, Max is now trapped in a city full of violence and bloodshed, using his weapons and instincts in a desperate search for the truth and a way out.

Max Payne 3 will be available in winter 2009 for Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 and PC.

For more information, log onto Rockstar Games Presents Max Payne 3. Winter 2009
Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #86
MJ4H
Coordinator

GDC today. New Zelda for DS announced, plus a storage solution (SD cards made usable). Also something about a new Wario Ware game for the new DSi I think?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #87
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Anyone playing Killzone 2 for PS3?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #88
SackAttack
Head Coach

I just spent about 20 minutes fooling around with the Age of Booty demo. That game looks like it would be so much fun in multiplayer.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #89
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

General summary of Wii/DS news from Iwata's speech/other goings on at GDC:

WarioWare Snapped will be a DSiWare launch title here.

Level 5 let slip that Professor Layton 2 is being localized and will be out this year.

Rhythm Heaven demo now available on Nintendo Channel, it's cooler than I thought it would be.

Virtual Console will now have classic arcade titles.

The Wii storage solution was long overdue and works pretty well.

Punch-Out!! Wii will have balance board support (shift weight to dodge punches) as an option

Square-Enix are bringing some of the earlier Final Fantasy games to Virtual Console and are making Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord (a sequel of sorts to WiiWare's My Life as a King but now instead of organizing raiding parties and town planning the game has you building dungeons designed to kill off adventurers). Final Fantasy IV: the After (episodic sequel) will also be coming to WiiWare

New WiiWare title Rock N’ Roll Climber will use balance board to simulate rock climbing.

Though none are known about yet, in the future there will be DSi-only or DSi-enhanced game carts, sort of like the GameBoy -> GameBoy Color transition I suppose.

Last edited by Big Fo : 03-25-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #90
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Rhythm Heaven demo now available on Nintendo Channel, it's cooler than I thought it would be.

The marketing catchphrase, on the other hand, leaves something to be desired:

"Prepare to be rhythmically challenged!"

So, what, teaches people how to white-boy dance? >.>
Old 03-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #91
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

haha

They did hire Beyonce to advertise the game. I guess they put more money into hiring celebs than coming up with witty catchphrases.

This demo is kicking my ass, I am lacking in rhythm.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #92
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post

As I said in one of the game threads, after weeks of it being out I still have not seen the game in stores down here this whole time. The wife checked Target last night for me once again and it wasn't there.

BUT! Tonight we were at Target again and they must have gotten some in last night because they had 6 of them. I have it sitting next to me right now and will crack the thing open and start playing later tonight once I have a website updated, dinner out of the way, and the whole rubbing the pregnant wife's back thing over with. I will be up until 6 a.m. or so playing I would guess.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #93
SackAttack
Head Coach

Loads of copies at the Green Bay Best Buy.

I'm too busy with MLB 09 The Show and Fable II, though.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:42 AM   #94
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post

Been playing for almost 2 hours, a little less. Great game so far. Looks frickin' amazing, and the action is non-stop. A little of everything so far and I know there is more to come. They do an excellent job of mixing things up so far. One speedy little tank you get to drive. Love the game so far it seems. After a little break here I think I will try the online stuff, since this is the game I figure has been cutting into the number of players on COD:WaW online.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:33 AM   #95
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Just picked up The Last Remnant for the PC, a Square Enix JRPG. I'm having fun with the unique battle system and the turbo mode on the PC. The storyline isn't that good, but this battle system is fun, and the game in gorgeous.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 03-26-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:09 AM   #96
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Just picked up The Last Remnant for the PC, a Square Enix JRPG. I'm having fun with the unique battle system and the turbo mode on the PC. The storyline isn't that good, but this battle system is fun, and the game in gorgeous.

I saw that the PS3 version likely won't even be released due to weak 360 sales thus far. Just didn't fulfill its promise for one reason or another.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #97
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Been playing for almost 2 hours, a little less. Great game so far. Looks frickin' amazing, and the action is non-stop. A little of everything so far and I know there is more to come. They do an excellent job of mixing things up so far. One speedy little tank you get to drive. Love the game so far it seems. After a little break here I think I will try the online stuff, since this is the game I figure has been cutting into the number of players on COD:WaW online.

The real shame of the Killzone 2 release is that it came at the same time as The Show release. Both are fantastic games, but they're competing for consumer attention.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #98
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
I saw that the PS3 version likely won't even be released due to weak 360 sales thus far. Just didn't fulfill its promise for one reason or another.

I heard that the 360 version was graphically buggy. I didn't pick it up for the 360.

The PC version looks great. It uses the Unreal Engine really well on the PC.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #99
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

How is the retail version?

I'm thinking about picking this one up today.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #100
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Downloaded Peggle from Xbox Live the other day. My 5 year old loves it, and it's actually not a bad little puzzle game, especially since it's only 800 pts.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote