Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #451
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It doesn't matter because he missed but it looked like Maynor traveled on the last possesion

As I told someone on ICQ earlier tonight, I've seen more walking today than if I had gone to the mall and watched the elderly. And none of it is called. This goes back to my statement a couple of pages ago about how we need to "reset" officiating- call it by the book and to the letter from the NBA down to high school. Basketball would be unwatchable for a year or two but it would be for the best.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #452
Butter
Coordinator

I'm so confident Illinois is not coming back, I'm updating the Pick 5 sheet now and shutting 'er down.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #453
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA is methodical. They run their offense and defense. They don't panic when things aren't going right and just play their game. I don't think UCLA is that good overall but I also don't believe they will beat themselves. The problem with playing methodical is that an emotional team can beat them. Especially when they get their energy at the right time.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #454
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Illini got a gift there.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #455
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

They've just never been in this game at all (Illinois)

As an aside, I need to start NCAA Tourney Watchers Anonymous. All night, I've had one game on the tv and had both of my laptops up. One for FOFC, Hattrick, and the like. The other with MMOD and a different game than is on tv

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-19-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #456
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Down five and not fouling, we'll see if it pays off.

Wow, another bad call. A foul and ONE. JEEZ, this crew is really choking here.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #457
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

No foul on Illinois on that loose ball after Mendez-valdez missed the three? Wow.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #458
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

That was pretty obviously a goal tend there.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #459
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
As I told someone on ICQ earlier tonight, I've seen more walking today than if I had gone to the mall and watched the elderly. And none of it is called. This goes back to my statement a couple of pages ago about how we need to "reset" officiating- call it by the book and to the letter from the NBA down to high school. Basketball would be unwatchable for a year or two but it would be for the best.

I love it when we get import players over here fresh from college. It's almost gauranteed that they'll travel at least twice a game for half the season.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #460
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

At least we're getting two decent finishes after a day featuring mostly blowouts.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #461
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Illinois with the botched press.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #462
cmp
Pro Rookie

Well that was my only missed game on my bracket today. Almost made it through perfect.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #463
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

and a 12 beats a 5 again
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #464
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Damn you Illinois!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #465
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Well that was my only missed game on my bracket today. Almost made it through perfect.

Just saw that. Pretty amazing first day for you.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #466
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I was downstairs watching, instead of by the computer, so I didn't get to participate in the pbp here. But here are my thoughts on the UCLA-VCU game.

1. Bug's smoking something about the fouls. That was a fairly called game. Actually probably one of the better reffed games I have seen this year (keep in mind I usually have to watch Pac 10 refs). Only quibble is I think Sanders had six fouls, and he was only called for 4. The refs did tighten up a lot after the Glynn foul.

2. The sideshot on the Drago flop clearly showed Glynn's elbow catching Drago in the upper chest, and it looked hard. Drago went right down, and not of hios own volition, IMO. That said, the throat reach was big time overacting.

3. Maynor's a great player, and Sanders looks like he really has the athleticism to make a difference right up to the next level. That said, I certainly hope they thanked Enberg and Bilas for swallowing.

4. Holliday may have had some iffy moments, and missed a layup or two, like he does, but he showed why pro scouts love his game with some of the plays he made. I hope he comes back (he definitely needs to), but he probably won't.

5. No Malcolm Lee? Drew Gordon, who was reportedly ready to go, despite his bruised knee? Come on, Howland, Sanders was probably the only player on the court more athletic than either Lee or Gordon, and they could have really helped make a difference out there. Or at least given us energy when Enberg and Bilas kept saying "VCU just has mor elife than UCLA".

6. Great defensive play by Collison at the end. Glad he didn't go out on his college career with that block shot on him by Sanders.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #467
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post

2 of my money pools I only missed one game
Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #468
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
2. The sideshot on the Drago flop clearly showed Glynn's elbow catching Drago in the upper chest, and it looked hard. Drago went right down, and not of hios own volition, IMO. That said, the throat reach was big time overacting.

Yeah - that's all I was trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #469
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I said it a couple of weeks ago and I'll say it again. That loss to Illinois was an embarrassing loss for Mizzou. Illinois is NOT a very good team and they proved me right yesterday.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #470
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

SI

They also finally called a carry on Maynor on a possession maybe midway through the 2nd. He was doing it damn near everytime, and I couldn't believe how high he was dribbling.

I haven't seen much of him (maybe one other game outside of his NCAA appearances) but despite the big efforts he puts in, I just don't love his game like a lot of others do. Maybe it's his lack of a consistent jump shot, he kinda has an awkward motion...plus I feel like he gets by on his athleticism as far as how easy he gets into the lane to score or dish it off.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #471
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
They also finally called a carry on Maynor on a possession maybe midway through the 2nd. He was doing it damn near everytime, and I couldn't believe how high he was dribbling.

I haven't seen much of him (maybe one other game outside of his NCAA appearances) but despite the big efforts he puts in, I just don't love his game like a lot of others do. Maybe it's his lack of a consistent jump shot, he kinda has an awkward motion...plus I feel like he gets by on his athleticism as far as how easy he gets into the lane to score or dish it off.

The things you point out are why I don't buy him as an NBA player as much as other CAA people do. I think his athleticism and ability to take advantage of it made him a very, very good NCAA player. I'm just not sure that it translates to the NBA.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #472
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The draft is so weak this year, if you have any shred of a chance of getting drafted, this is the year to jump. I kindof feel a little sorry for any team that has a lottery pick for this year and was hoping to rebuild.

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #473
Logan
Head Coach

Agree with both you guys.

edit: That's not to say there's not talent there. I like the NBA potential of guys like Griffin, Henderson, Thabeet, Blair, etc...I just wouldn't want to be taking them high as I don't know if any will be all-stars.

Last edited by Logan : 03-20-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #474
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Would everyone please bow their heads with me?

Dear Lord,

Please let Mizzou be rid of the NCAA Tourney Ghosts of Boise Past. Let the 4.8 seconds of Tyus Edney hell and the Northern Iowa upset be blown away with two solid wins and a trip to the Sweet 16.

Amen.

(BTW, God is a Mizzou fan.)
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #475
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
The draft is so weak this year, if you have any shred of a chance of getting drafted, this is the year to jump. I kindof feel a little sorry for any team that has a lottery pick for this year and was hoping to rebuild.

SI

Quote:

edit: That's not to say there's not talent there. I like the NBA potential of guys like Griffin, Henderson, Thabeet, Blair, etc...I just wouldn't want to be taking them high as I don't know if any will be all-stars.

Yeah. I think he (Maynor) could get drafted, I just don't necessarily think he'll be successful.

Of course, the last CAA player to enter the NBA has managed to pull down a salary much longer than I thought he would (Jose Juan Barrea of Dallas). Of course, he doesn't actually play.

Quote:
Old 03-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #476
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Would everyone please bow their heads with me?

Dear Lord,

Oh stop grovelling...
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #477
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yeah. I think he (Maynor) could get drafted, I just don't necessarily think he'll be successful.

Of course, the last CAA player to enter the NBA has managed to pull down a salary much longer than I thought he would (Jose Juan Barrea of Dallas). Of course, he doesn't actually play.

I know, we were arguing two different points- I agree with both. I was just kindof expanding on what you had said

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #478
wade moore
lolzcat

Yeah, I know.

The VCU fans just get a bit out of their minds with their "first round pick, good NBA player" talk - so I have a bit of a chip about this issue.

Quote:
Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #479
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:

Most of the mocks I've seen have Maynor in the 20ish range, which is a good deal lower than where all those guys are except Blair. Blair has his own set of questions I think due to his odd size combo....

If he really goes in the 20s, his expectation of success would be pretty low. I'd be suprised if more than half the guys taken in that point of the draft are consistent starters....
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #480
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I said it a couple of weeks ago and I'll say it again. That loss to Illinois was an embarrassing loss for Mizzou. Illinois is NOT a very good team and they proved me right yesterday.

They didnt have frazor and I think they have him, they win that game. Tough to loose your leader and expect stuff to get correctly in the first game without him. Granted I agree that they arent that good, but I highly doubt they loose that game with him.

Last edited by muns : 03-20-2009 at 10:14 AM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #481
RedKingGold
College Starter

Scottie Reynolds has a lot to prove in the matchup with Collison after struggling in the Big East Tourney and against American.

However, the key is going to be Cunningham and Anderson. Based on what I've read and what I saw last night, the UCLA interior is just not that good.

However, if both settle for jumpers (as they did in the first half last night) instead of driving to the basket (as they did in the second), UCLA could blow Nova out.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 03-20-2009 at 10:43 AM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #482
spleen1015
Coordinator

Wow. SFAU has a starter at 5 foot 3 inches tall.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #483
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Game on

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #484
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I was 15 of 16 yesterday, only missing the Butler/LSU game.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #485
molson
General Manager

Onuaku might be the worst free throw shooter I've ever seen.

And one point earlier this year he had made 1 out of his last 19.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #486
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wanted to watch Mizzou.. too bad I'm not going to get out of work early..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #487
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I know this has nothing to do with basketball but I get chills everytime I hear The Masters' music on CBS.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #488
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Utah St has done a nice job of staying in the game despite being outplayed
Old 03-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #489
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I know this has nothing to do with basketball but I get chills everytime I hear The Masters' music on CBS.

Does the theme song for "Murder, She Wrote" also give you chills?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #490
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Nope

Augusta National is one course that seeing it on TV doesn't do its beauty justice.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-20-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #491
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

SFA's coach looks like Fred Goldman.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #492
Radii
Head Coach

come on north dakota state!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #493
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tennessee playing almost exactly like the whole season. Shooting better than usual but otherwise it's the season in a nutshell.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #494
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yep, feels like watching a replay.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #495
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Utah State up 6 on Marquette. Come on, Aggies!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #496
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tied at 72 with a minute left, Okie State gets three offensive rebounds leading to a 74-72 lead. What a shock against a team that had players waving to family in the stands during a timeout earlier.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-20-2009 at 01:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #497
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

coming down to some great finishes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #498
spleen1015
Coordinator

Go Tennessee!

Go Utah St!!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote