Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2009, 06:25 AM   #451
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You're dead to me!

Seriously, any of you impartial observers want to convince me that the refs treated this series fairly? I really do normally think I'm not one to bring up that argument but this entire series I just felt like we weren't given a fair shot. Prior to Federov's goal, I counted 3 instances of either blatant elbows or interferences that weren't called, and they literally all came in a minute span. I was at a bar so it was hard to tell the players involved, but the worst elbow I saw came on the near side right along the boards, and sticks went flying. Then there was the clear knee-on-knee on Avery that left him laying on the ice and unable to get off when we were trying to get moving to get a rush going. Immediately after the game-winner, a Cap played the puck and them seemed to deliver a blow to the head of a Ranger. Again, nothing.

I've never had a worse taste in my mouth after a series. And what's even worse is that, like I've said numerous times, we didn't deserve to be in this at all if not for Henrik's performance at the start. My anger isn't too crazy though...this team just didn't have enough talent to make a move.

Avery is a pussy. Take off your blinders, he ducked and moved to try and get away from the hit and that's why his leg got caught. He lurched down and away trying to avoid the hit and that's why the contact occurred to the knee. Can't say it couldn't have happened to a better guy. The irony of hearing a Rangers fan complaining about cheap shots is clutch.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:28 AM   #452
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
ok, here we go. im gonna say it.

the devils are a better team without brodeur.

they were this year, anyway, and i think the team expects too much from him when he's in there. he hasnt won us a playoff series in a long time. and this has nothing to do with the 2 soft goals he let in tonight.

The problem is they get a lead, then think they can just let the other team do whatever and Marty will save them. Take a look at the Caps-Rangers game. the Caps scored with 4+ minutes left. I think I maybe saw the Rangers get one or two good looks in those 4 minutes because the Caps played aggressive and forechecked. Every season this happens in the playoffs. The Devils get a lead and with 10 minutes to go start playing defense. No aggressive offense, just sit back and keep trying to clear while you expect Marty to save the 20 shots he'll face in the final 5 minutes. Drives me crazy to watch these playoff games where they have the lead.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #453
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well, the Devils were getting a fair amount of pressure in the Carolina zone for the third period. The big change in the third period was Carolina stopped handing the puck over to New Jersey; they played like garbage the first two, and handed at least two of those goals over to the Devils. I have no idea what they were thinking dropping the puck off on that shorthanded attempt that left them so exposed, for example. I was shocked it was only 3-2 heading into the third, and then Carolina finally woke up.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #454
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Besides, wouldn't you rather beat the Ducks at full strength?

To be honest, I don't care either way. Did you feel hollow inside or any less joy after the Ducks beat the Wings in '07 when the Wings were down Schneider and Kronwall? I didn't think so.

I didn't feel any less happy about the Wings beating Nashville last year after Radulov injured Arnott or when Colorado was missing most of its top six forwards or when Detroit beat Columbus in Game 4 with Jan Heijda out of the lineup.

Injuries are a part of the grind that is the NHL playoffs and, if you are going to play on the edge, like guys like Perry and Pronger do, the threat of suspension is another part.

Given the lack of attention that it's been given, I reckon there wont be another word about it. So be it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #455
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I just want to comment a bit more of what Logan was talking about with the officials. I didn't watch the Rangers game close enough to really notice anything, but watching hockey this year I've noticed that the refs have been very loose with interference. They will call any stick violation but allowed players to interfere a lot more.

I am seeing a lot more players getting held up on the blue line and when pucks are thrown around the boards, the receiver is getting hit way before the puck even gets there...but if you put a stick on a guy's chest for even a half a second it is called.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #456
Logan
Head Coach

To be honest, I'd be fine if they didn't call many interference penalties, especially in a Game 7. But when you're gonna call Girardi for interference a minute into the 3rd period of such a game, because he hip checked a guy a half a second after he got rid of the puck (I won't tell you who the guy was, but his name may or may not rhyme with Shmashmechkin), you need to start calling them.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #457
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The most blatant non-call was when Green basically tackled Avery as he tried to beat him to the inside in the neutral zone. Despite my "Avery gets what he deserves" stance, I think that has to be called. Let guys punch him in the face or cock or hit him late or whatever, I don't care, but you can't let something that blatant go or its just a joke.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #458
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I am really looking forward to this Caps/Pens series. I am guessing the over/under on Pens fans complaining (ironically) that Ovechkin gets special treatment at 2 games.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #459
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I am really looking forward to this Caps/Pens series. I am guessing the over/under on Pens fans complaining (ironically) that Ovechkin gets special treatment at 2 games.

I was talking to a Caps fan this morning who had already started complaining about all the special treatment that Crosby was going to get.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #460
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

It's funny how underappreciated Malkin is right now.

I expect the crap from ESPN, but NHLN is doing the same.
"Crosby.....Ovechkin......Crosby......Ovechkin....Sid the Kid....Alexander the Great.....

By the way, the guy who was just about a wire-to-wire scoring leader is also in this series.

Crosby.....Ovechkin......Crosby......Ovechkin....Sid the Kid....Alexander the Great.....
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #461
DataKing
Pro Rookie

So does this mean NBC is going to run two "spotlight cams" or whatever they're calling it?

Not that I ever use that feature...just wondering.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #462
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
So, uh, Logan? Sak? What do you guys wanna do now? Wanna go beat up Suburban Rhythm or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Okay second round predictions ..

Carolina over Boston in 7
Pittsburgh over Washington in 6

Detroit over Anaheim in 6
Chicago over Vancouver in 7

Boston over Carolina, 6
Pittsburgh over Washington, 6

Detroit over Anaheim, 7
Vancouver over Chicago, 6
Old 04-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #463
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Confidence pool standings thru round 1

1 Detox 450
2 SR 442
3 bbor 439
4 Chief Rum 428
5 bhlloy 425
Old 04-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #464
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
So does this mean NBC is going to run two "spotlight cams" or whatever they're calling it?

Not that I ever use that feature...just wondering.

It will be entertaining watching Pierre's head spin if the lead keeps changing hands.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #465
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Boston over Carolina in 5

Vancouver over Chicago in 7
Detroit over Anaheim in 5
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #466
Travis
Pro Rookie

Boston in 6
Pittsburgh in 5
Chicago in 6
Detroit in 6
Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #467
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
It's funny how underappreciated Malkin is right now.

I expect the crap from ESPN, but NHLN is doing the same.
"Crosby.....Ovechkin......Crosby......Ovechkin....Sid the Kid....Alexander the Great.....

By the way, the guy who was just about a wire-to-wire scoring leader is also in this series.

Crosby.....Ovechkin......Crosby......Ovechkin....Sid the Kid....Alexander the Great.....

Well, at least according to almost every NBC, Versus or NHL promo over the last year your team appeared to have won the Stanley Cup, so you've got that going for you.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #468
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Detroit over Anaheim in 6
Chicago over Vancouver in 7

Boston over Carolina in 6
Old 04-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #469
samifan24
Pro Starter

Boston over Carolina in 6
Vancouver over Chicago in 6
Detroit over Anaheim in 7
Old 04-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #470
Pyser
Pro Rookie

carolina in 6
wash in 6
vancouver in 5
anaheim in 6
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #471
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm watching the NBA tonight. The 3OT game is just so fun even tho I was planning on spending the game flipping back and forth between the Rockets and Blackhawks

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #472
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm watching the NBA tonight. The 3OT game is just so fun even tho I was planning on spending the game flipping back and forth between the Rockets and Blackhawks

SI

That's funny, I decided to flip to the NBA tonight to see what this great series between Boston and Chicago is all about. As I noted in the NBA thread, the triple overtime is impressive and exciting, but the amount timeouts, fouls and constant stoppages of play make it very hard to watch and keep my interest. I just keep flipping back to the hockey game. At least there's some action there that lasts longer than 20 seconds at a time and doesn't involve 3 minutes of commercials between each one.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #473
TheNorm
Mascot

Quote:

SI

I gotta be honest, I didn't even know these guys were playing tonight, much less that it was in triple OT. Scoping it now...until the third period starts.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #474
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

SI

You might wanna consider watching the NHL tonight right now...
Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #475
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just like a Red Wings fan to set me up for a bad fall. That's just mean

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-30-2009 at 10:42 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #476
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Just like a Red Wings fan to set me up for a bad fall. That's just mean

SI

Oops.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #477
TheNorm
Mascot

Helluva finish in Canucks/Hawks Game 1. I think if the Canucks want to take this series they'll need to win one at the United Center...the Hawks are playing well and just won't quit. That play in the last minute was a huge screw up though...
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #478
DeToxRox
Head Coach

No Rafalski game 1 tonight. Chelios is gonna dress and play with Lebda and Ericsson will play with Lidstrom. That'll be interesting.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #479
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
No Rafalski game 1 tonight. Chelios is gonna dress and play with Lebda and Ericsson will play with Lidstrom. That'll be interesting.

Interesting, but not in a good way.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #480
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Interesting, but not in a good way.

Huh. Didn't know he was hurt. Lower body or upper body?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #481
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

It's just a way for Chelios to get his name on the cup.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #482
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Huh. Didn't know he was hurt. Lower body or upper body?

Upper.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #483
samifan24
Pro Starter

Let's go Bruins!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #484
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Let's go Bruins!

GO GO BLACK and GOLD!
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #485
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mike Brown, an ex-Wolverine who I do like, absolutely plastered Hudler with a pretty blatant interference, but Hudler smacked his face on the ice and had a nice gash on his face. Brown got 5 minutes and a game misconduct, and Detroit tied it up but the Ducks PK was very good for the duration and held Detroit to 4 shots.

Needless to say a tone was set early.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #486
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
... with a pretty blatant interference...
Really? I don't have a dog in this fight but that hit seemed within the range of time they normally give.

All three HNIC guys called it clean.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #487
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Really? I don't have a dog in this fight but that hit seemed within the range of time they normally give.

All three HNIC guys called it clean.

Didn't mean interference. That was the call. He had his stick up high on the hit. With no blood its just 2, but Hudler was gushing.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #488
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'll take a trade off of our #5 D for their #2 F any day of the week. I love Ericsson. Kid's a load.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #489
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Didn't mean interference. That was the call. He had his stick up high on the hit. With no blood its just 2, but Hudler was gushing.
I don't the stick made any contact. Other than maybe the timing, it looked like a perfect shoulder hit. The blood was from Hudler hitting the ice, it looked like his visor cut him.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #490
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'll need to see it more but he lead with the stick on the angle Versus is showing and even if the stick doesn't make contact, if a guy bleeds a gusher and the guy hitting him came in with the stick up high more often then not it's called. He can make that hit without the stick up high and it's not a problem.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #491
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll need to see it more but he lead with the stick on the angle Versus is showing and even if the stick doesn't make contact, if a guy bleeds a gusher and the guy hitting him came in with the stick up high more often then not it's called. He can make that hit without the stick up high and it's not a problem.
I'm 90% sure the call on the ice was interference, though.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #492
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The call was interference. I have to see a replay to get an opinion on it (I was driving home from work). I hope Hudler's okay. Brown's a big loss for our PK this game. Hope the NHL doesn't do something dumb and suspend him because of the blood (going off of what you guys are saying on how the hit went down, like I said, haven't seen myself yet).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #493
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Can't keep giving the #1 PP team opportunities to score.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #494
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
The call was interference. I have to see a replay to get an opinion on it (I was driving home from work). I hope Hudler's okay. Brown's a big loss for our PK this game. Hope the NHL doesn't do something dumb and suspend him because of the blood (going off of what you guys are saying on how the hit went down, like I said, haven't seen myself yet).

Hudlers back on the ice. 10 stitches. I don't think he ought to be suspended. Like I said I think it was him leading with the stick but Versus is terrible and I forgot to turn to CBC until a few minutes ago. They keep showing one angle so who knows.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #495
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Damn, post shot.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #496
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hudlers back on the ice. 10 stitches. I don't think he ought to be suspended. Like I said I think it was him leading with the stick but Versus is terrible and I forgot to turn to CBC until a few minutes ago. They keep showing one angle so who knows.

Yeah, heard on the radio about Hudler. Glad to see he's not too seriously hurt.

If there's one thing that will kill the Ducks, it's taking stupid penalties. Not like the refs need encouragement to give the Wings the benefit of the doubt, as it is, in Joe Louis. Toss in just plain stupid play at times by some Ducks, and you give great power play units tremendous opportunities to put you away.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #497
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I hate that penalty. Another stupid one.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #498
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Teemu!

Old 05-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #499
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, that was an important goal.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #500
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Bruins showing very little signs of rust...up 3-1 going into the third.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote