Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #201
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Ugh, Lucic suspended for tonights game. Shouldn't affect the. B's too much, but I love watching him play!

I think this will be a wakeup call for Looch. He's great when he's on but he needs to know when to take it easy. Hopefully this suspension will serve as a reminder of the goal at hand.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #202
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Here is my biggest beef as a Rangers fan: Sean Avery is the biggest douchebag to ever lace up skates in the NHL. I want to hate the guy with a passion. And then he steps on the ice and... he's a blast to watch play. He goes all out, gets other players off their game, and just plays a good all-around brand of hockey.

Fuck.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #203
Logan
Head Coach

I actually feel bad for the guy on the ice. He's been completely under control and he still gets cross-checked in the face constantly.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #204
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I actually feel bad for the guy on the ice. He's been completely under control and he still gets cross-checked in the face constantly.

Ok I wouldn't go that far.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #205
Logan
Head Coach

I'm talking about strictly from a pain perspective. There could be a penalty called everytime another player touches him. He's an ass, but he's been playing within the rules.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #206
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm talking about strictly from a pain perspective. There could be a penalty called everytime another player touches him. He's an ass, but he's been playing within the rules.

Ya but he deserves the pain, so I don't really feel sorry for him. He's reaping what he sowed. I just wish I didn't have to admit that he's a big reason the Rangers are up 2-0.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #207
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I think this will be a wakeup call for Looch. He's great when he's on but he needs to know when to take it easy. Hopefully this suspension will serve as a reminder of the goal at hand.

I think you're right, but this is Canadiens/Bruins and emotions are bound to spill over on occasion. Looch is still a kid, and for him, it's just going to happen a lot more often. Just his nature/play-style.

I really do love the guy though, my favorite Bruin to watch!
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #208
DeToxRox
Head Coach

That Callahan post - Semin goal that just happened is a killer. It's only 2-0 with 7 minutes left but after seeing that I think this is over.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #209
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
That Callahan post - Semin goal that just happened is a killer. It's only 2-0 with 7 minutes left but after seeing that I think this is over.

Horrible swing. I'm glad they showed the in-net cam (on MSG at least) which showed Callahan's shot was deflected just a bit.

Too many penalties taken, although I think the Drury and Callahan calls in the last few minutes were bad and horrible, respectively.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #210
Logan
Head Coach

Hahaha...a goalie interference call on Avery, what the fuck was that ref looking at?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #211
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Hahaha...a goalie interference call on Avery, what the fuck was that ref looking at?

I have not seen it, but on paper it sounds quite plausible.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #212
Logan
Head Coach

Usually there needs to be some sort of...whats the word...interference for there to be a call though.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #213
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Avery isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt on those calls. If he farts on a goalie, they are going to call it.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #214
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Avery with the look left, punch right move to Varlamov. He cracks me up. I am assuming Game 4 Brashear will go take a run at him.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #215
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Bruins!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #216
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Avery made it easy to hate him again tonight. He earned all those penalties, including the goalie interference (you can't just go crazy to the crease and spin backwards into the goalie).

Overall, terrible game by the Rangers. Redden made 2 terrible plays in the Rangers end on what ended up being the first goal. Then the Callahan-Semin thing happens and it seems like they just gave up after that. Gomez was invisible all game.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #217
samifan24
Pro Starter

Bruins look for the sweep on Wednesday night.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #218
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Avery made it easy to hate him again tonight. He earned all those penalties, including the goalie interference (you can't just go crazy to the crease and spin backwards into the goalie).

Overall, terrible game by the Rangers. Redden made 2 terrible plays in the Rangers end on what ended up being the first goal. Then the Callahan-Semin thing happens and it seems like they just gave up after that. Gomez was invisible all game.

Gomez was in Scientist Pumpy's pants.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #219
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I hope Scott Gomez falls out of a tree and breaks his contract.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #220
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Me too.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #221
Logan
Head Coach

Apparently after last night's game and with all the Rangers off the ice, Ovechkin went to center ice and saluted the Garden with a raise of his stick and one of his little dances.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #222
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Apparently after last night's game and with all the Rangers off the ice, Ovechkin went to center ice and saluted the Garden with a raise of his stick and one of his little dances.

I am sure people will be upset by the act, but I kind of like it. I don't mind a little showmanship, especially if it riles up the opponent and makes the games more intense and interesting. There is obviously a time when that sort of thing can cross the line (see, e.g., Avery, Sean), but lots of times it's just good fodder for a rivalry.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #223
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I love AO
Old 04-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #224
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am sure people will be upset by the act, but I kind of like it. I don't mind a little showmanship, especially if it riles up the opponent and makes the games more intense and interesting. There is obviously a time when that sort of thing can cross the line (see, e.g., Avery, Sean), but lots of times it's just good fodder for a rivalry.

If Avery did that, or was the one sitting watching the Caps practice, he'd be out of the league again.

I guess my issue with it is because it's just a nice tradition that started because the team was showing appreciation for the fans after the lockout. To turn that into "look at me, I'm being a prick who you're afraid of (his words)" was wrong, IMO.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #225
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
If Avery did that, or was the one sitting watching the Caps practice, he'd be out of the league again.
Because he's a complete prick with a long history of stupid behaviour.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #226
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Because he's a complete prick with a long history of stupid behaviour.

So its the typical NHL double standard, got it.

BTW, I'm not saying Ovechkin should be suspended or anything. Just like how I said there's an easy remedy for not watching him jump around like a ballerina after a goal, this is avoidable too.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #227
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Logan, I think you're seeing this with some tinted lenses. Avery will absolutely not get the same kind of leeway others do, and its for good reason. It's the same reason why a cop might let someone with a clean record off for speeding, whereas a dude doing the same thing but with a record of 14 driving violations is likely getting a ticket and a max fine.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #228
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

BINGO!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #229
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

BTW, I'm not saying Ovechkin should be suspended or anything. Just like how I said there's an easy remedy for not watching him jump around like a ballerina after a goal, this is avoidable too.

I don't think this is case of "the typical NHL double standard." Not at all.

I don't think Avery would have been suspended or anything like that. People would definitely would be raising a much bigger stink about it for sure, but that's not a case of any double standard, it's just a case of the application of observation. It's the scientific method.

I do think it's kind of funny how Avery's antics are viewed depending on the result of the game... If his team wins, people still shake their heads at his nonsense, but say "Hey, he impacts the game. He's a force out there and gets results."

If they lose, "Oh, what a horrible distraction. What buffonery! Torts can't be happy about this! He's a loose cannon, a malcontent who sits at the end of the bench!"

Avery is what he is. He's a prick. Given everything he's done throughout his career, he doesn't get the benefit of any doubt anymore.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #230
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Logan, I think you're seeing this with some tinted lenses. Avery will absolutely not get the same kind of leeway others do, and its for good reason. It's the same reason why a cop might let someone with a clean record off for speeding, whereas a dude doing the same thing but with a record of 14 driving violations is likely getting a ticket and a max fine.

I think that sums it up nicely.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #231
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Though it doesn't hurt that in this instance Ovechkin is also the 20 year old girl with the big rack and who loves to flirt.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #232
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I honestly don't think I am. I was one of the few in those threads who was all for the NHL kicking him out based on his comments with Dallas, so I have no long-lasting love for the guy. I wanted him back because the team wins with him in the lineup, plain and simple.

He deserved the misconduct, he deserved the roughing call (and actually more) when he gave Varlamov that shot. But the high sticking call was a fucking joke. The goalie interference call was a fucking joke. He gets slashed and cross-checked constantly, takes elbows to the back of the head, slashes to the balls. It would take a McSorley shot to his head for him to draw a penalty. That's not "losing some leeway." If this keeps up, Tortorella will be better served not playing him.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #233
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I honestly don't think I am. I was one of the few in those threads who was all for the NHL kicking him out based on his comments with Dallas, so I have no long-lasting love for the guy. I wanted him back because the team wins with him in the lineup, plain and simple.

He deserved the misconduct, he deserved the roughing call (and actually more) when he gave Varlamov that shot. But the high sticking call was a fucking joke. The goalie interference call was a fucking joke. He gets slashed and cross-checked constantly, takes elbows to the back of the head, slashes to the balls. It would take a McSorley shot to his head for him to draw a penalty. That's not "losing some leeway." If this keeps up, Tortorella will be better served not playing him.

Avery is getting the same deal the entire Ducks team is getting. HB might be able to confirm this but I thought I heard Mickey Redmond say that the league was going to crack down on a lot of stuff this playoffs from numerous complaints other teams have made. I know he mentioned the Ducks specifically, but if it's true, Avery would most definetly be on a list of things to watch out for.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #234
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, yes. The NHL treats guys with a long track record of bad behaviour differently than everyone else. How tragically unfair.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #235
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

I disagree on his penalties. The goalie interference was not a joke. He went into the crease uncontrolled and ran into the goalie. That's goalie interference, plain and simple. Do people sometimes get away with something like that? Sure, but Avery is being watched closer than your average guy, and so he's not going to get away with anything. I can't recall the high stick, so I'll refrain from comment on that one.

As for him getting mugged, well, again, he's reaping what he has sowed over years of being a douchebag and 'straddling the line'. This is how hockey works: you try to make a mockery of the other players and refs, and eventually the players will start to cheap shot you and the refs will look the other way. As much as I want the Rangers to win, I don't have a problem with that logic at all, and it's one of the reasons why I didn't want Avery back with the team.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #236
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I didn't see the goalie interference call. It may have been a bad call, but again, you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

For example, it happens to the Red Wings quite frequently. Everyone knows what Holmstrom does. He sits right outside the crease and sticks his ass in the goalie's face. That's his job. He's good at it. Does he interfere with the goalie? Sure, sometimes. But given his reputation as a crease crashe/interferer there have been a number of goals disallowed based on his reputation not because there was any kind of actual goalie interference.

Does it suck when that happens? Yes. Do I get annoyed? Definitely. But, I understand that's the cost of doing business for Holmstrom.

The same holds true for Avery. His value to the team is his role as an annoying fuck. He has that reputation, so when he does stuff, it's much more closely scrutinized. That's the price of doing business for Avery.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #237
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

I LOL'D

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #238
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Yes, yes. The NHL treats guys with a long track record of bad behaviour differently than everyone else. How tragically unfair.

You know, it's a shame that someone who is as big a hockey fan as yourself has this mindset. A rule is a rule, a penalty is a penalty. Allowing anything else (or taking joy in it as you seem to) is bad for the sport, no matter how big of a prick someone is.

Let's say Brian Burke decided to follow up on his threat to sue you. Your defense points out that the Twitter rules clearly state that parody accounts are allowed. The judge says, "Sorry, you have a track record of bad behavior towards Burke in your blog. I don't care what the rules are. You lose." Are you cool with that?

Quote:
I disagree on his penalties. The goalie interference was not a joke. He went into the crease uncontrolled and ran into the goalie.

You need to see it again. I just listened to an Islander-fan host on WFAN bitch about how terrible the call was. An Islander fan! For one thing, he didn't go in uncontrolled...he was pushed by Erskin (which I know isn't considered enough to wipe out a penalty these days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Part of His value to the team is his role as an annoying fuck.

Fixed. 65 points in 105 games with the team isn't bad. He was a big offensive piece to how the team played very well down the stretch.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #239
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
You need to see it again. I just listened to an Islander-fan host on WFAN bitch about how terrible the call was. An Islander fan! For one thing, he didn't go in uncontrolled...he was pushed by Erskin (which I know isn't considered enough to wipe out a penalty these days).

Erskin hardly touched him, he was going way too fast and tried to spin around at the last second. I'm sorry, but to me that's a penalty, and I'm glad they called it.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #240
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Brad Stuart KILLED RJ Umberger with a nice hit. Then Commodore tries hitting Cleary and flies into the bench. Puck goes down low, Commodore tries another hit, crowd goes wild as he crosschecks Cleary I think and Zetterberg scores an easy goal and the entire building goes deathly silent.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #241
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Where was this Chris Osgood the past 12 weeks?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #242
TheNorm
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Brad Stuart KILLED RJ Umberger with a nice hit. Then Commodore tries hitting Cleary and flies into the bench. Puck goes down low, Commodore tries another hit, crowd goes wild as he crosschecks Cleary I think and Zetterberg scores an easy goal and the entire building goes deathly silent.

That was a beautiful clean hit, and I love that the Wings took them out of the game early. I didn't like their performance the last 20 minutes save for Osgood who has been lights out all series long. I'm hoping they can wrap this series up Thursday night.

Speaking of Umberger, he's been the sole source of offense for the Jackets.

This Vancouver/St. Louis game has gotten good.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #243
Logan
Head Coach

Did the Devils really lose with 0.2 on the clock?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #244
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Where was this Chris Osgood the past 12 weeks?

Rather have him now, than 12 weeks ago.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #245
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Did the Devils really lose with 0.2 on the clock?

Yep, lol.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #246
TheNorm
Mascot

Ozzie's been playing like that the last 2-3 weeks of the regular season, even if the rest of the team hadn't.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #247
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Umberger gets destroyed
Old 04-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #248
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Commodore with a shift he'd like to forget.

I love how quiet it gets.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #249
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Awesome.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #250
TheNorm
Mascot

I want to watch the Ducks/Sharks right now but St. Louis and Vancouver are in OT...great stuff so far!