Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #251
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I'd rather they were showing the OT here, but there's been some really good action so far at the Pond. Good physical play and a lot of up-and-down the ice movement as well.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #252
Pyser
Pro Rookie

how do the canes always do this to the devils?

damn man. that HURT.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #253
TheNorm
Mascot

Tough break for Chris Mason; he played well but I'm sure that OT goal is one he'll want to forget. Vancouver moves on to Round 2.

I should go to bed but of course the SJ/Anaheim game is tight, too. I love playoff hockey but damn it leads to a lot of sleepy days at work.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:18 PM   #254
bbor
Pro Starter

ugh....horrid OT goal.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #255
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
how do the canes always do this to the devils?

damn man. that HURT.

I'm still somewhat in shock that it happened. I'd already psyched myself up for the crushing loss that was inevitably coming once the Devils tied it up. When it went in, I didn't even jump for joy or anything. I just sort of slipped off my couch onto the floor in disbelief. I half expected it to be waved off somehow because of how the third period had gone up to that point. I had to rewatch it in slow motion on the DVR before I was sure it counted.

Besides, you never see a buzzer-beater goal in hockey. Never. Yet, somehow, Carolina's done it twice to New Jersey in four years. Staal's game-tyer in 2006 took place with ages on the clock compared to this one. I'm still in wonder at how it got in before the horn. I just know that it was a hellacious slapshot by Seidenberg that even had a chance because the puck didn't reach him until about a second was left on the clock.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #256
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good win for San Jose tonight. Better for them to really have to fight for it tonight, instead of getting a go away win, as they need that sort of experience to build on.

The Ducks showed a lot continually coming back, but in the end, their propensity for penalties bit them in the ass. You can't keep giving San Jose PP opps and expect to win. Perry was the guilty party this time, but there are a lot of stupid penalty takers on the Ducks (Perry among them).

Anaheim is still in a pretty good spot here, but the pressure is amped up quite a bit now for Thursday's game. Pressure doesn't concern me with the Ducks, because they were basically under pressure to win just about every game starting around March 1, but that doesn't mean this game on Thursday isn't critical. My guess is, whoever takes Thursday, takes this series.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 AM   #257
samifan24
Pro Starter

That Carolina-New Jersey game finish was ridiculous. I loved Brodeur's little tantrum at the end. I guess he felt Jokinen had interfered with him? The shot was truly a buzzer beater.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #258
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Why was Crosby's goal in last nights game allowed? His body obstructs Biron from getting across his crease to try to corral the bouncing puck. Is it ok for a player to get in the way of the goalie in the crease so long as he was there first?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #259
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Umberger gets destroyed

It was interesting to compare the play-by-play from that clip, the Blue Jackets' feed, to the Detroit feed. The Blue Jackets guy says no less than three times that Stuart "blindsided" Umberger and there is even mention as to whether there should be a penalty.

The Detroit guys go on about what clean hit it was and how Umberger saw him all the way, but just didn't really do anything about it.

Granted, I know I am not totally objective, but I really do think that Umberger saw him. He looks up, appears to see Stuart, puts his head down for a second, and then looks up again. He seems to watch Stuart come right at him but, for whatever reason, doesn't appear to do anything about it.

There was no "blindside". It was as clean as hit as they come.

Quote:

Commodore with a shift he'd like to forget.

I love how quiet it gets.

I've watched this shift about a dozen times. It's just classic. Commodore flying over the boards and then cross checking and standing over the fallen Franzen like some kind of bad ass, all the while the play continues with Zetterberg left out in front to score.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #260
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It was interesting to compare the play-by-play from that clip, the Blue Jackets' feed, to the Detroit feed. The Blue Jackets guy says no less than three times that Stuart "blindsided" Umberger and there is even mention as to whether there should be a penalty.

The Detroit guys go on about what clean hit it was and how Umberger saw him all the way, but just didn't really do anything about it.

Granted, I know I am not totally objective, but I really do think that Umberger saw him. He looks up, appears to see Stuart, puts his head down for a second, and then looks up again. He seems to watch Stuart come right at him but, for whatever reason, doesn't appear to do anything about it.

There was no "blindside". It was as clean as hit as they come.

The Columbus announcers are some of the biggest homers in the business. They are completely ridiculous. Detroit's guys can be pretty bad too, but Jeff Rimer and Danny Gare can be almost laughable. Clean hit for sure.

That was an odd move by Umberger. He did look up, but could he have just misjudged how much space he had?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #261
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
The Columbus announcers are some of the biggest homers in the business. They are completely ridiculous. Detroit's guys can be pretty bad too, but Jeff Rimer and Danny Gare can be almost laughable. Clean hit for sure.

That was an odd move by Umberger. He did look up, but could he have just misjudged how much space he had?

I think he must have misjudged how much space he had or how fast Stuart was coming. He seemed to be aware of what was going on, he just didn't really take any measures to do anything about it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #262
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:

As a Jackets fan, I TOTALLY agree with this. My wife and I try to count how many times that Rimer says "no call, play allowed to continue" after a clean hit, or something other that has no business being called a penalty.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #263
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Does anyone remember in NHL2K3 (or one of those games), how they mispronounced Huselius' last name?

Because that's how he's been this series.

Umberger and Voracek have been the only two good forwards. Nash has been completely shut down, but that's because he has NO help on his line and the Wings can afford to double team him.

The biggest difference between the two teams this series hasn't been in the net, or up front, its been the back end. Columbus' D-men can't move a puck or put a shot on net, so all Detroit's strategy in the CBJ zone has been to just focus on the forwards, because they know that there is no threat of offence from those guys.

That early goal just took a lot of energy out of the building (I was in the upper bowl).

Best moment was from this morning, when I saw a picture of a couple of Jackets fans roughing up a DET fan for throwing an octapus on the ice. At least someone is willing to be physical for Columbus.

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 04-22-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #264
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
To be honest, I don't think that Detroit has much to worry about. The Jackets played their last 2 games like they were just happy to be in the playoffs, although they missed Huselius in both games, which really makes the Nash line click.

We're just playing sloppy with the puck, which is something that Detroit will take advantage of. Also, Mason is not on the top of his game right now, as he just looks a little worn out (which is understandable).

Although, I could be wrong, but my prediction is Wings in 5, with the Jackets getting a win in their barn.

From the NHL Season thread.

Two things I was wrong about:

1) Huselius has NOT made the Nash line click.

2) Wings in 5. I still have a chance at this, but I think it will be 4.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #265
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
As a Jackets fan, I TOTALLY agree with this. My wife and I try to count how many times that Rimer says "no call, play allowed to continue" after a clean hit, or something other that has no business being called a penalty.

when the Avs play the Jackets, I try to pick the Columbus feed just because Rimer and Gare are guaranteed to get me fired up.

I feel bad for Columbus - I really thought they could do some damage.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #266
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
when the Avs play the Jackets, I try to pick the Columbus feed just because Rimer and Gare are guaranteed to get me fired up.

I feel bad for Columbus - I really thought they could do some damage.

Back when I lived over seas I pretty much only had NHL.com Radio to listen to. They save the games, so I would get up early in the morning and try to listen to the game before work. The biggest drawback was that in order to fit it in time-wise work I had to fast forward between periods and you could see how long the broadcast was and, thus, pretty easily determine if the game went into OT.

Anyway, during the 2002 Western Conference finals, I made sure to take time out of the day and listen to the Avs radio feed whenever they lost to the Wings. The Avs radio guys were (are?) incredible yahoos. Just horrible. I loved listening to them pout and suffer.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #267
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yeah as far as Umberger goes, it was obvious he looked up, and I couldn't tell you why he put his head back down. I think you're right though HB, he felt he had more time then he did, and I also don't think he thought it'd be a hip check, because the way he went towards Stuart looked like he was trying to squirt through the hit and get an odd man rush up ice. Stuart hitting him with the hip was the worst possible thing that could've happened on that play for RJ.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 04-22-2009 at 10:58 AM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:48 PM   #268
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

after 2 periods tonight

Bruins 4
Canadians 1

courtesy of 2 goals in 45 seconds for the Bruins and then a beautiful indirect pass as they were coming off a penalty-kill that Kessel skated onto and slotted home
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #269
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Okay that Avery call on the icing seemed like a reputation call. Yeah he went in kind of reckless but I don't know about that one.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #270
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Hmm on the replay they showed coming back from break it looks more like a penalty and he probably did mean to do it but if that is someone else doing that it's probably not called.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #271
Pyser
Pro Rookie

why did the cap wait so long to pull the goalie? 2 man advantage couldve been....advantageous.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #272
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Avery should spend game 5 in the press box.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #273
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Avery should spend game 5 in the press box.

Yep. That penalty at the end was retarded. I'd sit him down in DC where he'll be egged on even worse by the crowd.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #274
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Yep. That penalty at the end was retarded. I'd sit him down in DC where he'll be egged on even worse by the crowd.

100%.

Hank is unreal.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #275
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
100%.

Hank is unreal.

Love Henrik. Guy is nails under pressure.

It's funny but as many points as Ovechkin has this series, he has played terribly if you ask me. Just doing way too much and it's costing them.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #276
samifan24
Pro Starter

Bruins sweep Montreal! Goodbye Habs!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #277
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ovie has played well, I think, but King Henrik is in his head. That post on Avery's first penalty was pretty darn close to being his second 'off the bar and in' of the game though.

Bottom line is that Henrik is stealing this series, as Washington has been the better team every period of the series that I've seen (I've missed a couple periods here and there).
Old 04-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #278
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Love Henrik. Guy is nails under pressure.

It's funny but as many points as Ovechkin has this series, he has played terribly if you ask me. Just doing way too much and it's costing them.

I really don't think he made a single pass in the first two games.

To me, he's been their 4th best offensive player behind Semin, Backstrom and Laich.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #279
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Ovie has played well, I think, but King Henrik is in his head. That post on Avery's first penalty was pretty darn close to being his second 'off the bar and in' of the game though.

Bottom line is that Henrik is stealing this series, as Washington has been the better team every period of the series that I've seen (I've missed a couple periods here and there).

I haven't missed any periods, so let me clear that up: they've been the better team every period of the series.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #280
Logan
Head Coach

Stolen from the hfboards:

"And you can count on ME waiting for YOU in the parking lot!"
Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #281
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ouch... dirty play by Komisarek on Lucic. Very lucky Looch got away with just a cut on that one. Should be 5 games at least I would have thought, who knows with the wacky Campbell and Bettman show.

Anyone think Carey Price might not be back with the team next season? Habs fans are brutal.

Last edited by bhlloy : 04-23-2009 at 12:09 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #282
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Ouch... dirty play by Komisarek on Lucic. Very lucky Looch got away with just a cut on that one. Should be 5 games at least I would have thought, who knows with the wacky Campbell and Bettman show.

Anyone think Carey Price might not be back with the team next season? Habs fans are brutal.

Very stupid play by Komisarek. The game was already out of hand and then Komisarek let his emotions get the best of him. I really doubt he'll be back in Montreal next season. As much as I love it when Lucic agitates opponents, I think Komisarek became almost obsessed with his rivalry with Lucic at times this season. That's never good for your team.

I also couldn't believe that Habs fans would turn on Price so quickly. In case you missed it, Habs fans gave a mock cheer when Price turned aside a 70 footer late in the game and Price responded by raising his arms in acknowledgment. Halak was good at times for them but Price is the future. Do Habs fans really want to antagonize such a young goalie? I think this will be a tumultuous offseason for Montreal and I think they really need to rebuild their roster and their long term priorities.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #283
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Habs organization is partly at fault for what is wrong with Price. You cannot push a kid, especially a goalie, into a tough situation and expect him to flourish right away.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #284
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I was floored at the time, and am still confused, as to why the Habs traded Huet at the deadline last year for a 4th round pick. It just made no sense on a lot of levels, and they are paying for it now. I almost hope Price gets traded because he can still be a good goalie in a less toxic environment.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #285
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Why was Crosby's goal in last nights game allowed? His body obstructs Biron from getting across his crease to try to corral the bouncing puck. Is it ok for a player to get in the way of the goalie in the crease so long as he was there first?

I thought SR would pipe in by now but since he didn't I'll give my 2 cents...

It was a bang-bang play...and honestly it could've went either way. You can't overturn a goal based on goalie-interference on replay so once the goal was called on the ice I knew it was going to stand.

It appeared as if the puck hit Crosby before he made contact with Biron...it all happened so fast and the ref really didn't have a chance to really digest it. I think it was the correct call.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #286
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I guess I'm just curious how the rule is supposed to be enforced. I know that you can be in the crease before the puck so long as you don't interfere with the goalie. And I'm guessing if the puck goes in first you can't just push the goalie around when you get in there. But if the puck goes in first, are you then allowed to essentially establish a position within the crease, such that if the goalie attempts to move into that area you are allowed to block his path? Because that's basically what Crosby did, and if that's allowed, then I'm fine with the goal, but if the goalie is essentially supposed to have free range of movement within his crease than I think it was a bad goal.

Regardless, it was nothing nearly so insane as the goal Vancouver scored on the Jets back in an OT playoff game in the 90's where the player just pushed Essensa into the net with the puck, winning them the game (and I think the series; can't recall).
Old 04-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #287
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I thought SR would pipe in by now but since he didn't I'll give my 2 cents...

It was a bang-bang play...and honestly it could've went either way. You can't overturn a goal based on goalie-interference on replay so once the goal was called on the ice I knew it was going to stand.

It appeared as if the puck hit Crosby before he made contact with Biron...it all happened so fast and the ref really didn't have a chance to really digest it. I think it was the correct call.

Agree with your assesment that he made contact with the puck (shaft of his stick, then his body) before he makes contact with Biron.

That is a free puck, so Crosby has as much right to it, even in the crease, as Biron. If Crosby never plays the puck, bowls over Biron, and that forces the puck in, I'd say no goal is the correct call.

I'll also say, there have been worse instances of the goaltender being interferred with, in both directions, that have never gotten a second look. Guys never playing the puck who are in the crease should be getting whistled and aren't.

Which makes it all the more frustrating-- Gill (on Briere) and Knuble (on Orpik) "crosschecks" are getting called in OT, but not guys planting themselves in the crease.

I actually couldn't believe they made the tripping call on Richards, when Fleury blew a tire. Still not convinced Richards even clipped him.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #288
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Sykora scratched, being replaced with Miro Satan on the 2nd line with Malkin and Fedotenko.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #289
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Dola

Sykora scratched, being replaced with Miro Satan on the 2nd line with Malkin and Fedotenko.

No Letang either.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #290
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Yay, Canes / Devils is on!

Boo, SD only AGAIN! C'mon NHL, fix this! C'mon, FoxSports, you've got the money, fix this!
Old 04-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #291
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, Washington is just looking lifeless

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #292
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Osgood is definetly not 100%. He hurt what looked to be a groin last game, and he keeps wincing after going to the left side. It's 5-5 in the second. Unreal.

I'd pull him for Conklin and just let him rest.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #293
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

How about the local feed of the Pens/Flyers has been out for over a period and Versus is blacked out. So I am stuck listening on the radio.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #294
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Osgood is definetly not 100%. He hurt what looked to be a groin last game, and he keeps wincing after going to the left side. It's 5-5 in the second. Unreal.

I'd pull him for Conklin and just let him rest.

5-5. Wow

SI

Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #295
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Man, Washington is just looking lifeless

SI

Now I feel like a dope. I just realized this was a replay of last night's game on the local Comcast sports station. I knew the final score but hadn't watched the game at all. D'oh

SI

Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #296
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Absolutely gorgeous goal by the Flyers just now, tho

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-23-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #297
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

That's what they said on the radio.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #298
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Also, Versus, could we stop with the male enhancement pill commercials. Next week: "cure all tonic!"

SI

Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #299
bbor
Pro Starter

Wait a minute.....Freddie Modin is still playing????????????????

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #300
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
How about the local feed of the Pens/Flyers has been out for over a period and Versus is blacked out. So I am stuck listening on the radio.

You upgraded from Steigy to Lange!

Biron Fleury'd the Pens. Pens had the better chances early, shots 15-5 after one.

Still feel good, still only need one more win...but would have been nice to close out tonight.