Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #1101
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heīs not aiming to be a star and neither are his parents

Judging from recent events, I'd say that's a good thing, would avoid major disappointment for the whole family.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #1102
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Here's my question: did Rubio put his name in for the NBA draft, or do the NBA folks just draft whoever they feel like from the foreign ranks? I don't know how that works. If it's the latter, than good for Rubio. If the former, WTF did he put his name in in the first place if he had no intentions of playing? It's my understanding that it's the latter, and he's being a crybaby because the Knicks didn't pick him. If the Spanish leagues are so awesome and the right place for him to play, he shouldn't have entered the draft in the first place.

It's the former. You have to apply to be in the draft (and assuming you're eligible).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #1103
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It's the former. You have to apply to be in the draft (and assuming you're eligible).

I think they are automatically eligible the calendar year they turn 23, otherwise they apply for early entry just like the US college kids.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #1104
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I think they are automatically eligible the calendar year they turn 23, otherwise they apply for early entry just like the US college kids.

Ah, I could see that. Either way, Rubio had to apply.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #1105
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post

Yup, that is, every foreign player becomes automatically eligible when he reaches 23, but in this case it was Rubio, probably misguided by his USA agent Fegan, who declared himself.

If i'm correct, Fegan is known for doing that kind of things and had the same problem a year or two ago with another player, i'll have to google it.

Again i think that the problem have been both his parents and his agent. Remember they were his parents too who signed that stupid contract with the huge buyout clause with DKV when he was earning peanuts as he was only 16 years old and was not allowed to sign it himself. Also by all that i have been reading in the Spanish press (that is also criticizing him) i think they are the ones wanting him under their wings and playing in Spain.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #1106
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Yup, that is, every foreign player becomes automatically eligible when he reaches 23, but in this case it was Rubio, probably misguided by his USA agent Fegan, who declared himself.

If i'm correct, Fegan is known for doing that kind of things and had the same problem a year or two ago with another player, i'll have to google it.

Again i think that the problem have been both his parents and his agent. Remember they were his parents too who signed that stupid contract with the huge buyout clause with DKV when he was earning peanuts as he was only 16 years old and was not allowed to sign it himself. Also by all that i have been reading in the Spanish press (that is also criticizing him) i think they are the ones wanting him under their wings and playing in Spain.

Fran Vasquez.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #1107
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
that is simply not accurate.

NBA > ACB
Premier League >>>>>>>> MLS

Iīm sorry, but this is now really not a valid cross-comparison. Not trying to bash the MLS here, but just compare the structure and what type of players make up the majority of the Rosters.
It is not nearly as desirable for a good Euro to go to the NBA than an offer from any european club of Italy, spain, england, germany and half a dozen other countries would be for any MLS player.

fixed it for you. In Europe, which is where propably 10 of the best 15 national teams worldwide come from and where an equal percentage of basketball player/fans are outside the US, the Euroleague is more popular and more widely covered than the NBA.

What do NBA Fans in China matte to an european player ?

You are just wrong about the status of the NBA outside of the US. In every basketball country in Europe the domestic league is much more important than the NBA.

And by your logic ever player staying an extra year or two in College chickened away from Competition ? Tim Duncan not a competitor anymore ?

It might very well be argued that declaring for the draft and then not coming is a mistake and not "honourable" but not going at 18 sure isnīt a problem or flaw of any kind. And as said i am convinced that him declaring was more an agentīs move.

Oh please. The WNBA draws better attendance than the ACB. Heck, many high schools and lower division college basketball in our country draw better attendance numbers than the ACB. If Lebron James took a dump in a port-a-potty outside the stadium of one of those teams it would draw more fans than the actual games.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #1108
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
that is simply not accurate.

NBA > ACB
Premier League >>>>>>>> MLS

Iīm sorry, but this is now really not a valid cross-comparison. Not trying to bash the MLS here, but just compare the structure and what type of players make up the majority of the Rosters.
It is not nearly as desirable for a good Euro to go to the NBA than an offer from any european club of Italy, spain, england, germany and half a dozen other countries would be for any MLS player.

With the number of >>>>'s in the two comparisons you make it seem like the difference in quality between NBA and ACB is like the difference between La Liga and Serie A

Pau Gasol is afaik the best player Spain has ever produced and he comes over here and sure he's good but not one of the top 10 players in the league. I know ACB draws good players in from all over Europe and Americans who can't quite cut it in the States but still put up good numbers over there but no European has come over and been dominant on the level of a Duncan/Bryant/James/O'Neal, the closest I guess would be Nowitzki. Although I've heard Sabonis was a beast in his European days before injuries and age had caught up with him...

I would be interested to see how the best ACB teams (not to mention the mid-table ones) would do in the NBA playing with proper rules and a grown-man three point line. 20 wins maybe? We'll never know for sure but I think the talent difference between the leagues is a lot bigger than you have implied (unless you were talking more about money and prestige than on-court stuff).
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #1109
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I would be interested to see how the best ACB teams (not to mention the mid-table ones) would do in the NBA playing with proper rules and a grown-man three point line. 20 wins maybe? We'll never know for sure but I think the talent difference between the leagues is a lot bigger than you have implied (unless you were talking more about money and prestige than on-court stuff).

What do you mean by "proper rules"? I'm assuming you mean NBA. If an ACB team entered the NBA and played under those rules, I'm sure they'd do poorly no matter how well they played in the ACB. Put an NBA team in the ACB however...

They are very different games of basketball.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #1110
RainMaker
General Manager

With enough time to adjust to the rules, any NBA team would completely dominate the ACB.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #1111
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The only way we'll know is the contract Rubio gets in 2011 or more likely 2012 when he comes over. If it's a lot better than a rookie deal, it worked out.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #1112
Groundhog
Coordinator

I got a chuckle out of this from The Onion:

Quote:
John Stockton Assists Hall Of Fame Officials In Setting Up Induction Ceremony

SPRINGFIELD, MA—Saying he just wanted to do whatever he could to make it a great event, all-time NBA assists leader John Stockton arrived several hours early to the NBA Hall of Fame induction ceremony Friday in order to help set up the PA system, construct the stage, and hang banners and posters throughout the room. "Just have to finish filling out all these name cards, and then I can get back behind the lighting booth," said Stockton, who folded a record 62 table linens Friday night and accrued 3,265 career steals. "Boy, this mic sounds a little hot. We should talk to Jerry about switching it out. Coffee's ready!" According to sources, Stockton, who wore a full tuxedo throughout the ceremony, left immediately afterward to "pitch in" at a fundraising event at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.

Last edited by Groundhog : 09-21-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #1113
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

AP source: Detroit Shock are moving to Tulsa - nba - SI.com

Detroit Shock of the WNBA are moving to Tulsa, apparently.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote