Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #401
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Uhh... I would not do that if I were Minnesota. But it would be interesting for the all-Spanish team.

Portland would be Icy's new favorite team.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #402
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Oh snap...MBBF just got wood.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #403
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Woohoo! DeMarre picked at #27 by the Grizzlies! Halfway between Vanderbilt and Mizzou. Guaranteed money. Good for him.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #404
Schmidty
Coordinator

I don't know why, but I never look forward to the second round. It's more boring than the 6th and 7th rounds in the NFL draft. It just seems so rare that a player becomes anything more than bench player after being selected in the 2nd round. I know my perception is probably wrong, but it just feels that way.

Of course, this year, the Pistons have 3 2nd rounders, so I might pay a little more attention. (Draft Goran Suton please).
Old 06-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #405
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Oh snap...MBBF just got wood.

Don't hate.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #406
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I don't know why, but I never look forward to the second round. It's more boring than the 6th and 7th rounds in the NFL draft. It just seems so rare that a player becomes anything more than bench player after being selected in the 2nd round. I know my perception is probably wrong, but it just feels that way.

Of course, this year, the Pistons have 3 2nd rounders, so I might pay a little more attention. (Draft Goran Suton please).

Michael Redd?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #407
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

I think NFL 6th rounders have a better chance of being on the team after year 1 than 2nd round NBA players

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #408
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Ellington was a steal there. Maybe the wolves will change their mind and trade Rubio and keep Lawson. Draft Danny Green in the 2nd round and they may be on to something.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #409
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Are Wolves fans cheering because they didn't take another PG?
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #410
wade moore
lolzcat

As the local CAA homer that only knows some about the NBA..

How will Maynor fit in at Utah? What is their PG situation like? Does he have the chance to contribute over the next several years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #411
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
As the local CAA homer that only knows some about the NBA..

How will Maynor fit in at Utah? What is their PG situation like? Does he have the chance to contribute over the next several years?

Not as a starter as Utah has one of the best PGs in the NBA. Utah is a good fit though as sloan does a great job of finding roles for his players.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #412
wade moore
lolzcat

Duh - Deron Williams. So no chance he starts (I think he was doomed if he started anyways).. but what's their depth like?

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #413
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Darko to the knicks?

which would be his 6th nba team. Still early in his career, hes got a good chance to get to half of the NBA

Last edited by k0ruptr : 06-25-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #414
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Not as a starter as Utah has one of the best PGs in the NBA. Utah is a good fit though as sloan does a great job of finding roles for his players.

Good to know. I enjoyed watching him in college. I have questions about how he'll work in the NBA - namely I'm not sure about his shooting. But he has the athleticism, size, and "court vision" to succeed as a PG.

Quote:
Old 06-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #415
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Are Wolves fans cheering because they didn't take another PG?

LOL

They keep bringing them in and one of them has to turn out right?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #416
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Good to know. I enjoyed watching him in college. I have questions about how he'll work in the NBA - namely I'm not sure about his shooting. But he has the athleticism, size, and "court vision" to succeed as a PG.

Yup, Sloan carried a deep bench last year in which I believe 9 players averaged more than 18 minutes per game so he will get his chances. Plus Deron is injury prone. I like Maynor a lot as well. Too bad it was such a deep PG draft of he could have gone much higher.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #417
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yup, Sloan carried a deep bench last year in which I believe 9 players averaged more than 18 minutes per game so he will get his chances. Plus Deron is injury prone. I like Maynor a lot as well. Too bad it was such a deep PG draft of he could have gone much higher.

Yes, to Minnesota

SI

Old 06-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #418
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

As a Pitt fan and a fan of NCAA ball, it's now been confirmed to me that the NBA is indeed a joke. May all the executives not taking Blair or Young get canned sometime in the next 5 years.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #419
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hard to believe that Young and Blair go undrafted (in the first round) out of Pitt. I can understand the questions about Blair, with his injury history and size (both height and weight), but Young seems like the perfect combination of size/skill/athleticism to be a solid NBA wing.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #420
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Patty Mills also falls to the 2nd... interesting.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #421
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, I'd love to have Blair at this point.

SI

Old 06-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #422
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Man, I'd love to have Blair at this point.

SI

+1
Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #423
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Chase Budinger has a shot to be a decent 2nd rounder it seems as well.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #424
RainMaker
General Manager

Not drafting Blair is just crazy. He'll be able to step in and give you rebounds right away. Not a starter or anything but a guy who can give you 10-15 tough minutes a night. Teams in the draft are more worried about taking a shot at getting a star instead of drafting a good role player.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #425
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think this was expected
Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #426
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Agree with you guys on Blair/Young. Blair could be a beast against certain matchups and Young can do it all.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #427
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Well obviously Lawson is getting traded and Ive been seeing rumors of Rubio going to the Knicks for Nate Robinson/Jordan Hill. It will all work out give him a chance.

This draft was a disaster as soon as Harden and Evans went before the 5th pick, leaving the Wolves stuck with Rubio. Rubio lasting to 5 is the worst thing that could have happened, couldn't be less excited about drafting him. Dammit I wish he'd gone earlier, that trade with the Knicks would be absolutely terrible? What does Hill do for this team when they've already decided to build around 2 PFs who can't play another position very well?

Passing on Mullens at 18 will probably turn out to be another in a long line of mistakes by the Wolves in the draft. Besides having no one at the 2 or 3, they don't have anyone to start and center right now.

Last edited by mckerney : 06-25-2009 at 09:38 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #428
Swaggs
Coordinator

It is pretty amazing that, year after year, there are 40 or 50 underclassmen that leave early and think that they will be first round picks.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #429
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

He's a moron for coming out early. Hope he falls to the end.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #430
Atocep
Coordinator

Blair has scared teams off because of knee injuries and I've read that doctors were actually unable to find either of his ACLs in pre-draft exams.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #431
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
This draft was a disaster as soon as Harden and Evans went before the 5th pick, leaving the Wolves stuck with Rubio. Rubio lasting to 5 is the worst thing that could have happened, couldn't be less excited about drafting him. Dammit I wish he'd gone earlier, that trade with the Knicks would be absolutely terrible? What does Hill do for this team when they've already decided to build around 2 PFs who can't play another position very well?

Its not a disaster. They are getting the best PG in the draft(Flynn). They stole Ellington who will be just fine as a SG. They will get a higher 1st rounder next year for Lawson and teams are apparently making offers left and right for Rubio.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #432
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I love this 2 minute clock

SI

Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #433
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

THAT WAS AWESOME!!

Knicks fans: "AWWWWWWWW! Why Darko?!?!?!?"

SI

Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #434
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Blair has scared teams off because of knee injuries and I've read that doctors were actually unable to find either of his ACLs in pre-draft exams.
A team doesn't need him for 5+ years. Just draft him and use him as a backup PF who is real cheap for a couple years till his knees go. At the end of the 1st round you're only talking about a million or so dollars in guaranteed money. Much cheaper than a veteran who will want a few million.

For instance, he'd be a nice fit on Cleveland. But they chose a guy who won't be in the league for 3-5 years. Makes no fucking sense when you need to win this year. Although Cleveland is a bad example as they are one of the dumbest franchises in the league.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-25-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #435
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Summers is actually I pick I like. That's what we need down low.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #436
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
A team doesn't need him for 5+ years. Just draft him and use him as a backup PF who is real cheap for a couple years till his knees go. At the end of the 1st round you're only talking about a million or so dollars in guaranteed money. Much cheaper than a veteran who will want a few million.

For instance, he'd be a nice fit on Cleveland. But they chose a guy who won't be in the league for 3-5 years. Makes no fucking sense when you need to win this year. Although Cleveland is a bad example as they are one of the dumbest franchises in the league.

Oh, I agree. I think he'd be a great fit for a team like San Antonio. However, I think a lot of GMs would rather look like dumbasses drafting a young guy with a lot of upside that busts than draft a guy like Blair, though.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #437
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I thought Cleveland was a good landing spot but I guess I was wrong. Why pick someone who can help you now when you can pick a bust overseas?

SI

Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #438
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Following the yahoo chat blog thing, a fan asked who the clips would draft #1 next year and JE Skeets says, Blair, he probably will still be there.

I Lol'ed at that.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #439
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Again, that was awesome.

Stu (to Thorn): "Why did you trade away what is still one of the most electrifying players in the league in Vince Carter?"
Some fan in the crowd: "Because he sucks!"

SI

Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #440
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Notice how quick that pick was?

Spurs: "Crap? Blair's still on the board? Get the bald dude to the podium, stat!"

SI

Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #441
RainMaker
General Manager

That's a steal for the Spurs.

I really like the Spurs next year.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-25-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #442
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Oh, I agree. I think he'd be a great fit for a team like San Antonio. However, I think a lot of GMs would rather look like dumbasses drafting a young guy with a lot of upside that busts than draft a guy like Blair, though.

Or you can wait til the 2nd round and get him there
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #443
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Damn, Spurs are going to be a huge problem in the Southwest this season

SI

Old 06-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #444
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Portland just drafted the worst player in the draft.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #445
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Spurs have made some damn good moves. give Blair 10-15 minutes a game next to duncan, and you get Richard Jefferson?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #446
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Or you can wait til the 2nd round and get him there

Well, San Antonio didn't have a first round pick I just thought they were a perfect pick. I was mostly targeting teams like the Lakers, Cleveland, and Chicago who could have used him. I picked San Antonio because I think he fits with what Pop wants out of his backups pefectly.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #447
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Portland just drafted the worst player in the draft.

He is headed to Sacramento
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #448
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Agreed, SA has had a great offseason so far
Old 06-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #449
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Spurs have made some damn good moves. give Blair 10-15 minutes a game next to duncan, and you get Richard Jefferson?

I like Blair but Ive been wondering if Jefferson is a good fit for that style.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #450
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
He is headed to Sacramento

Well congrats to the Kings on that one. Cant believe with some of these decent players left that stiff got drafted.