Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #51
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Satan is gone. Period.

I think Talbot has earned at the very least a chance to stay in the top 6, or maybe top 9, if someone like Kennedy is given a chance to move up.

Still, they need to find two more guys to play in the top 6. Kunitz is the only definite at this point.

Guerin made $4.5M last year, he'd have to cut that in half, and take a 1 year deal.

Fedotenko had a slow start, then got hurt punching Colby Armstrong's big schnoz. But from March forward, he was pretty good. Not great, but what you'd expect from $2.25M.

Sykora...at the beginning of the year, I thought it was a no brainer he'd get a slight bump from $2.5M, or maybe an extra year to keep the cost lower, but that he'd be back. He went through an awful stretch, and then was hurt. I've been a huge fan, but I think they let him walk. Only if he gets no other great offers, and comes back at a discount. He worked really well with Malkin, better than Fedotenko has, but when he's not scoring, he's pretty useless. Still, someone will pay him, and he is still a 25 goal guy.

On D, it's hard to believe that about 3 1/2 years ago, Scuderi was HATED. Hell, I am sure I posted it here myself. He was paired with Joe Melichar on those awful teams sandwiched around the lockout. I think he's going to get alot more than the Pens can match from someone like Atlanta or the Isles (he's a Syosset native). But he also seems like the type who is grateful for the chances he got, coming up in the Pens system, and will take a discount to play for the same team and a contender. He made $712K this year, if he'll take like $7M over 3 or something like that, he'll be back. Anymore, might be tough.

Gill is pretty much gone. He was, IMO, alot worse this year than he was when he originally came over in the trade last season. He was criticized in Boston and Toronto, but he serves a role. The problem in the prior two stops, he was put in a role he couldn't handle. He's not a top pairing guy. But as a #4/5 type, play 17 mins, play PK, he's a good fit. But, you can't pay him $2+M when you have to save somewhere.

Set in goal, MAF signed an extension last year. He'll get backed up by John Curry, rather than a vet, I think, and save about $1M against the cap.

The 3rd line is intact. Jordan Staal showed why it's OK to pay 3 centers that much money. Would it be better if he could shift to wing? Maybe. But he's 20 freaking years old!

They'll probably try to move some other "expensive" guys like Dupuis, whose making $1.4M. He's good on the 4th line, fast as hell, and plays the PK, but you can find guys who do that for 1/2 the price.

Godard is back, and pretty cheap. They probably try to keep Craig Adams or Mike Zigomanis to center the 4th line.

Kunitz - Crosby - XXX
Talbot - Malkin - XXX
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Godard - Adams/Zigomanis - XXX

Internally, they have two guy who might be top 6 material in Eric Tangradi, part of the Kunitz-Whitney deal, and Luca Caputi. I think they've prefer not having to hand them a spot. They have plenty of guys who played some this year, like Dustin Jeffery, who can fit the 4th line role-- skate, hit, win faceoffs and PK. All for $450K.

Orpik - Gonchar
Eaton - Letang
XXX - XXX

Obviously, they hope to keep Scuderi. Otherwise, they look outside for a veteran guy who can PK. Alex Goligoski played most of the first 4 months of the year in Pittsburgh, until Gonchar was healthy, and played well. He's a smaller guy, but good skater and puck mover. Also, Ben Lovejoy was huge in Wilkes-Barre this year. Yeah, it's the AHL, but he was +46. So, he should at least compete for the #7 spot.

They can not target top end guys- Hossa, Gaborik, etc. They might not even be able to go after the mid-tier guys. Gionta might be a fit, but would need to come in around $3M.

Another option is stick with Guerin and Fedotenko on 1 year deals, and look at D, like Beauchemin on a multi year deal, rather than another group of 1 year guys.

One dark horse guy, who I've always thought SHOULD break out and be a 25 goal guy, but never has- Taylor Pyatt. But that is a big risk, since if he can't score, and your 3rd line is pretty much set, you are paying free agent $ for a guy you don't need.

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #52
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Holy shit, that ended up really long
Old 06-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #53
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

i got as far as satan is good and gave up on it

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #54
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
i got as far as satan is good and gave up on it

You wasted your time on that!
Old 06-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #55
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Alex Goligoski played most of the first 4 months of the year in Pittsburgh, until Gonchar was healthy, and played well. He's a smaller guy, but good skater and puck mover.

Goligoski given a 3 year / $5.5M deal. A little more, $1.8M, than I expected.

It's not so bad, by the end of that, when he hopefully levels off as a 2nd pairing guy and on the PP. But, it's this season, when you are paying that to what is in essence your #6. I was expecting around $1.2, and for a team tight against the cap, that $600,000 hurts.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #56
bbor
Pro Starter

This Heatly thing is getting UGLYYYYYY.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #57
bbor
Pro Starter

Rumour has it that the Sedins want 63 mil over 12 years....EACH!!!!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #58
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post

Quote:
I love Swedish twins.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #59
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I want to be married to Kate Walsh but that isn't happening either. But chances are they'll find a stupid owner quicker than she will realize she wants to marry me.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #60
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Yeah, despite Healty possible being one of the best power forwards in the history of the NHL (right, Lathum?), I can't see trading for his huge, long term contract. He can score a ton of goals, but he seems to lack quite a few intangibles.

Quote:

That means they need to find a team willing to pay $126 over the course of 12 years for their services. That cap hit, around $5.25 per year, isn't terrible for a first line forward, but, still, that's a LOT of money and a long, long time.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #61
Pyser
Pro Rookie

some pics from the party lemieux threw at his house. cup is in the pool. again.

hxxp://sportscracklepop.com/2009/06/17/wonder-if-the-stanley-cup-canonballed-into-the-pool/
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #62
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

hxxp://sportscracklepop.com/2009/06/17/wonder-if-the-stanley-cup-canonballed-into-the-pool/

I love how Lemieux has a name plate on his desk in his own house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #63
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Who’s that young looking girl with Crosby? She has the exact same smile and pose in both of her pictures.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #64
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Just wait til Phil Bourque gets ahold of it again
Old 06-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #65
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:

"When you have players come ask you for a trade, I tell the players 'don't finish that sentence,' because once you ask, I'm going to move you.... I'm not kissing anyone's ass to play in my town, so to hell with you, don't finish the sentence."
- Brian Burke

I don't know, based on what I've heard about his community service in Atlanta, Heatley doesn't need any tips on how not to finish a sentence.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #66
bbor
Pro Starter

Burke said earlier this week that he in no way would ever want Heatley on his hockey club because he went public with the trade request.

I am really looking forward to seeing Heatley and Tavares playing together on Torontos top line next season.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #67
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

20% off at NHL Shop.

Code: AFFTP7 (case sensitive)

Good thru 6/30/09

Yeah, the stuff is overpriced to begin with, but I thought you guys might want to stock up on your 2009 Cup Champs gear.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #68
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Wow you guys aren't wasting any time.

Will the Bruins deal Phil Kessel? Will they trade Patrice Bergeron or Michael Ryder?

Heard anything new sami?

I've said it before, I don't think management is head over heels for Kessel like many fans are, but I do think they will offer him a Krejci type contract. If they trade him though, they better be getting back a STUD D-Man.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #69
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Burke said earlier this week that he in no way would ever want Heatley on his hockey club because he went public with the trade request.

You mean like how he dealt for Pronger a few years ago?

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 06-21-2009 at 10:29 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #70
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Heard anything new sami?

I've said it before, I don't think management is head over heels for Kessel like many fans are, but I do think they will offer him a Krejci type contract. If they trade him though, they better be getting back a STUD D-Man.

All I've been reading online is that the experts believe the Bruins absolutely need more depth on the blueline, specifically big, ideally mobile defensemen. One article I read said that while Ference and Hunwick are good players, they are both small, as are most Boston defensemen, and the Bruins need more height to take the physical punishment late in the year and in the playoffs. They also need someone to help Wideman move the puck out of the zone. Jay Bouwmeester would be a great add but of course the Bruins probably can't afford him.

I do think they'll deal Kessel and if it happens I think it could happen during the draft next week.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 AM   #71
Pyser
Pro Rookie

fuck you, brent sutter.

seriously.

fuck you. HARD.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #72
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
All I've been reading online is that the experts believe the Bruins absolutely need more depth on the blueline, specifically big, ideally mobile defensemen. One article I read said that while Ference and Hunwick are good players, they are both small, as are most Boston defensemen, and the Bruins need more height to take the physical punishment late in the year and in the playoffs. They also need someone to help Wideman move the puck out of the zone. Jay Bouwmeester would be a great add but of course the Bruins probably can't afford him.

I do think they'll deal Kessel and if it happens I think it could happen during the draft next week.

Rangers have plenty of supposed high quality defensive prospects.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #73
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

As for the Wings, nothing will be decided until the cap is set. Even then, it will be a hard choice.

Everyone is basically looking at the situation as if the wings have two options: 1) Keep Hossa and let Samuelsson and Hulder walk or 2) Keep Hudler and Samuelsson and let Hossa walk.

I don't think it's quite that simple. Obviously if the Wings keep Hossa, they wont be able to resign either of those guys. Even if Hossa walks, I am not sure both Hudler and Samuelsson coming back is a sure thing. It all depends on what these guys feel like they can get elsewhere. Samuelsson has more options as an UFA and Hudler has fewer since he's an RFA. Hudler had a pretty good year, his best ever, scoring 29 goals. He does a lot with limited ice time. That said, he only gets limited ice time because there are many limits as to what he can do. He's not a great skater. Not big. Doesn't play great defense. He's got a good knack for the puck, sees the ice pretty well and good on the power play. I just can't see the Wings paying him anymore than $2 million a year, tops. They already have Cleary and Filpulla just above that and I'm not sure how many 3rd line/power play forwards who play around 10-12 minutes a game one can be willing to pay $2+ million. You already have Holmstrom getting paid at around that level.

It will be really interesting to see what happens. I've always thought that it was either Hossa or Franzen. In fact, I always figured the Wings would re-sign Franzen and always figured Hossa would be a 1 year gamble. Still, over the last 15 years, the Wings have always been incredibly good to their own. While they don't hold on to players who don't develop, those who do and play well are rewarded for it. It's unlike them to just let go good soldiers in order to chase outside help. In the pre-cap world this wasn't an issue. Guys like McCarty, Draper, Maltby, etc. go their due and the Wings were still able to go out and get Hulls and Robitailles and Ray Whitneys. Obviously, that has changed and this is really the first time, since just after the lockout when the Wings were forced to buyout contracts, that they are really forced with some very tough decisions.

Personally, if Hossa is willing to take a cap friendly deal to stay, I'd love it. I just don't see that happening. He'd really need to sacrifice a lot of money and I am not sure how comfortable Holland would be having so many super long term contracts (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, and Franzen). If Hossa does re-sign, the Wings will likely run into cap issues almost every year. I think having some cap flexibility is important, especially given how many unknowns there are from year to year (i.e., cap level, development of younger players, decline of play of older players, etc.) Given all of that and the fact that there are some teams out there with loads of cap space burning a hole in their pocket, I think Hossa is out of here.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #74
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Rangers have plenty of supposed high quality defensive prospects.

I think the Bruins will want experienced players rather than prospects that need to develop. They think they can win now.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #75
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
All I've been reading online is that the experts believe the Bruins absolutely need more depth on the blueline, specifically big, ideally mobile defensemen. One article I read said that while Ference and Hunwick are good players, they are both small, as are most Boston defensemen, and the Bruins need more height to take the physical punishment late in the year and in the playoffs. They also need someone to help Wideman move the puck out of the zone.
Yes, hi, you were calling about the Kubina/Kaberle package deal?
Old 06-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #76
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
As for the Wings, nothing will be decided until the cap is set. Even then, it will be a hard choice.

Everyone is basically looking at the situation as if the wings have two options: 1) Keep Hossa and let Samuelsson and Hulder walk or 2) Keep Hudler and Samuelsson and let Hossa walk.

I don't think it's quite that simple. Obviously if the Wings keep Hossa, they wont be able to resign either of those guys. Even if Hossa walks, I am not sure both Hudler and Samuelsson coming back is a sure thing. It all depends on what these guys feel like they can get elsewhere. Samuelsson has more options as an UFA and Hudler has fewer since he's an RFA. Hudler had a pretty good year, his best ever, scoring 29 goals. He does a lot with limited ice time. That said, he only gets limited ice time because there are many limits as to what he can do. He's not a great skater. Not big. Doesn't play great defense. He's got a good knack for the puck, sees the ice pretty well and good on the power play. I just can't see the Wings paying him anymore than $2 million a year, tops. They already have Cleary and Filpulla just above that and I'm not sure how many 3rd line/power play forwards who play around 10-12 minutes a game one can be willing to pay $2+ million. You already have Holmstrom getting paid at around that level.

It will be really interesting to see what happens. I've always thought that it was either Hossa or Franzen. In fact, I always figured the Wings would re-sign Franzen and always figured Hossa would be a 1 year gamble. Still, over the last 15 years, the Wings have always been incredibly good to their own. While they don't hold on to players who don't develop, those who do and play well are rewarded for it. It's unlike them to just let go good soldiers in order to chase outside help. In the pre-cap world this wasn't an issue. Guys like McCarty, Draper, Maltby, etc. go their due and the Wings were still able to go out and get Hulls and Robitailles and Ray Whitneys. Obviously, that has changed and this is really the first time, since just after the lockout when the Wings were forced to buyout contracts, that they are really forced with some very tough decisions.

Personally, if Hossa is willing to take a cap friendly deal to stay, I'd love it. I just don't see that happening. He'd really need to sacrifice a lot of money and I am not sure how comfortable Holland would be having so many super long term contracts (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, and Franzen). If Hossa does re-sign, the Wings will likely run into cap issues almost every year. I think having some cap flexibility is important, especially given how many unknowns there are from year to year (i.e., cap level, development of younger players, decline of play of older players, etc.) Given all of that and the fact that there are some teams out there with loads of cap space burning a hole in their pocket, I think Hossa is out of here.

I believe he is gone as well. I would like to see them keep Samuelsson and Hudler and let Hossa walk. Yes, he had a 40 goal regular season, but he essentially disappeared in the playoffs. The Wings proved last year that they can win the Cup without Hossa (and previous years as well). I just don't see the long term benefit of signing him to a multi-year deal.

I believe that Maltby is probably done in Detroit and Chelios is certainly finished with the Wings. I would not be surprised to see him play with Chicago one final year before retirement (although in my opinion he should have retired 3 years ago). The Wings have some talent that needs to come up to the big club and get some minutes - Abdelkader, Ericsson, Hudler, Filpulla, Leino. Another year or two for Lidstrom and Draper is about all we can expect. Lidstrom especially looked tired in the Finals (albeit groin surgery does not help). A changing of the guard is in order for some of the long time Red Wing players.

Quote:
Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #77
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the Bruins will want experienced players rather than prospects that need to develop. They think they can win now.

I guess we'll never know what the Pronger deal really was (or if there even was one), but I'm still surprised the B's couldn't get it done. If it was Kessel and a pick then I'd be amazed if they get better value this offseason. I still think Boston + Pronger win the cup last season hands down, and he'd still be around for another year.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #78
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

What is the max the Wings can play Hossa? Assuming Samuelsson and Hudler are gone, and replaced by cheap (minimum salary?) guys like Helm and Abdelkader.

Also heard recently, for the first time, that it was believed had Hossa won his Cup, he would have returned to Europe. Was anything like that rumored in Detroit?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #79
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
What is the max the Wings can play Hossa? Assuming Samuelsson and Hudler are gone, and replaced by cheap (minimum salary?) guys like Helm and Abdelkader.

Also heard recently, for the first time, that it was believed had Hossa won his Cup, he would have returned to Europe. Was anything like that rumored in Detroit?

I've never heard anything about Hossa returning to Europe. It's possible, but this is the first I've heard of it.

According to NHLnumbers.com, which is pretty good, the Wings' current cap number (with no UFAs or RFAs signed) is at $51.255. So, even if the cap stayed the same, the Wings have about $5.4 million left. I am not sure if that number includes Abdelkader, Helm and/or Ericsson.

If Hossa is going to say, he's going to need to sign a deal similar to what Franzen signed. It'd be something very long term, but a cap hit somwhere's around $4-$4.5 tops. Even that type of deal would be dependent on the cap increasing by some amount, say, $2-3 million or so. I just don't see eother of those things happening.

The only other alternative is try to and trade a player to free up cap space, but that's not too likely or cut a guy like Draper (not going to happen) or Maltby (possibly, but unlikey, and, even if so, that's still not a lot of money coming back).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-22-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #80
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Yeah we need Draper to come in on breakaways and shoot it directly at the goalie. His defense is so overrated. I'd take someone with even "less" defense who can actually contribute elsewhere on the ice over Draper anyday. He is so overhyped IMO.

Love the Wings though, looking forward to another run next year.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #81
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The best thing for Detroit would be Holmer retiring. Won't happen I am sure but it'd be whats best for the Wings.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #82
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've never heard anything about Hossa returning to Europe. It's possible, but this is the first I've heard of it.

According to NHLnumbers.com, which is pretty good, the Wings' current cap number (with no UFAs or RFAs signed) is at $51.255. So, even if the cap stayed the same, the Wings have about $5.4 million left. I am not sure if that number includes Abdelkader, Helm and/or Ericsson.

If Hossa is going to say, he's going to need to sign a deal similar to what Franzen signed. It'd be something very long term, but a cap hit somwhere's around $4-$4.5 tops. Even that type of deal would be dependent on the cap increasing by some amount, say, $2-3 million or so. I just don't see eother of those things happening.

The only other alternative is try to and trade a player to free up cap space, but that's not too likely or cut a guy like Draper (not going to happen) or Maltby (possibly, but unlikey, and, even if so, that's still not a lot of money coming back).

The whole return to Europe thing was mentioned on a Pittsburgh sports call-in show, with rotating hosts. This guy is pretty awful (none are great). So, it could be entirely made up.

I honestly can't see him taking $4M, but what do I know.

And as far as the cap, everything I've read is steady this year, somewhere around $56M, but 2010-11 season could drop to around $50. So, I know you'd have Lidstrom's contract up, but also Osgood (I think) and need a replacement there.

Sak and I were discussing, about 24 teams would be screwed under that situation. They'd have to discount the previously signed contracts like they did after the lockout, or there'd be 400 free agents.

Very similar to Pittsburgh, we've got guys who are overpaid, like Dupuis making$1.4M, but to cut him, be on the hook for 1/2 that, and need to pay his replacement, there is no savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Yeah we need Draper to come in on breakaways and shoot it directly at the goalie. His defense is so overrated. I'd take someone with even "less" defense who can actually contribute elsewhere on the ice over Draper anyday. He is so overhyped IMO.

But who would talk for Lidstrom?
Old 06-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #83
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The best thing for Detroit would be Holmer retiring. Won't happen I am sure but it'd be whats best for the Wings.

Yeah. Draper has lost some of his effectiveness and Holmstrom was downright awful the last 40+ games or so. The problem, however, is that I'd really be surprised if the Wings cut/waived/forced out any of these guys. It's certainly possible, but Detroit has been a destination franchise for years because of how it treats its players. The organization has been incredibly loyal to its own and that combined with the success of the team are two big parts of what make the organization as great as it is. (It's not like the city is all that).

Once you start waiving long time saltwarts and well-respected veterans, I think that begins to tarnish the organization's reputation a bit. Then again, being too loyal to these guys and sacrificing competitiveness also isn't doing the team any favors. This is why this is Holland's toughest summer to date. Other than that first post-lockout summer when teams were forced to buyout contracts, he really hasn't been forced to make any tough decisions regarding established guys. Most of his summers, the Hossa deal aside, was spent tinkering around the edges and plugging smaller gaps in the line-up.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #84
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I honestly can't see him taking $4M, but what do I know.

Me either. I don't see it happening at all.

Quote:
And as far as the cap, everything I've read is steady this year, somewhere around $56M, but 2010-11 season could drop to around $50. So, I know you'd have Lidstrom's contract up, but also Osgood (I think) and need a replacement there.

Sak and I were discussing, about 24 teams would be screwed under that situation. They'd have to discount the previously signed contracts like they did after the lockout, or there'd be 400 free agents.

As horrible as it would be for the league for the cap to drop so dramatically in one year, it would be sort of fascinating to see what happened. All of a sudden, you could have a bunch of high-priced free agents on the outside looking in. Their only option would be to take a very low deal or play in the KHL.

It'd be like my Eastside Hockey Manager career before I went in and edited the cap value.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #85
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah. Draper has lost some of his effectiveness and Holmstrom was downright awful the last 40+ games or so. The problem, however, is that I'd really be surprised if the Wings cut/waived/forced out any of these guys. It's certainly possible, but Detroit has been a destination franchise for years because of how it treats its players. The organization has been incredibly loyal to its own and that combined with the success of the team are two big parts of what make the organization as great as it is. (It's not like the city is all that).

Once you start waiving long time saltwarts and well-respected veterans, I think that begins to tarnish the organization's reputation a bit. Then again, being too loyal to these guys and sacrificing competitiveness also isn't doing the team any favors. This is why this is Holland's toughest summer to date. Other than that first post-lockout summer when teams were forced to buyout contracts, he really hasn't been forced to make any tough decisions regarding established guys. Most of his summers, the Hossa deal aside, was spent tinkering around the edges and plugging smaller gaps in the line-up.

I agree. I do think though that Holmer is going to be done sooner rather then later. He's just never healthy. I do think though that players will be more likely to retire rather then put Kenny Holland and the organization on their heels because of how well they are treated. I think a guy like Maltby would retire when his deal runs out rather then try and get another deal or go play elsewhere.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #86
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

As weird as it sounds, I am hoping the Pens are forced to bring in other guys to fill roles. I think this team played better because they were hungry.

I don't think a team with Crosby will ever coast, but a team of everyone back will not be as hungry as a team of guys looking to win for the first time.

I don't want to say that caught up to Detroit, but outside of Hossa, and the young guys brought up, these guys had all won before, including the prior year. Helm was the hungriest guy on the ice for them the majority of the time. Giving him and Abdelkader full time roles over Draper and Maltby might not only be cheaper, but beneficial throughout the team.

Samuelsson is a guy I am intrigued with for Pittsburgh. They've got 2 spots open in the top 6, but can't spend over about $3M for one of those spots.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #87
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
As weird as it sounds, I am hoping the Pens are forced to bring in other guys to fill roles. I think this team played better because they were hungry.

I don't think a team with Crosby will ever coast, but a team of everyone back will not be as hungry as a team of guys looking to win for the first time.

I don't want to say that caught up to Detroit, but outside of Hossa, and the young guys brought up, these guys had all won before, including the prior year. Helm was the hungriest guy on the ice for them the majority of the time. Giving him and Abdelkader full time roles over Draper and Maltby might not only be cheaper, but beneficial throughout the team.

Samuelsson is a guy I am intrigued with for Pittsburgh. They've got 2 spots open in the top 6, but can't spend over about $3M for one of those spots.

My beef with Sammy is probably more how he was used, but he is so terrible on the point on the PP. I'd love to see that gone. He is a good player though and would be perfect with Crosby or Malkin centering him. He isn't afraid to shoot, he just shoots too much. He will probably get 4 mil somewhere. It sounds extreme but I could see it honestly and someone will not be happy with it.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #88
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Just for something to kill time-- predict the destination for these FAs:

Max Afinogenov -
Nik Antropov -
Adrian Aucoin -
Francois Beauchemin -
Martin Biron -
Rob Blake -
Jay Bouwmeester -
Mike Cammalleri -
Erik Cole -
Ruslan Fedotenko -
Marian Gaborik -
Brian Gionta -
Bill Guerin -
Marty Havlat -
Marian Hossa -
Nik Khabibulin -
Mike Knuble -
Saku Koivu -
Mike Komisarek -
Ales Kotalik -
Alexei Kovalev -
Chad Larose -
Jere Lehtinen -
Jordan Leopold -
John Madden -
Chris Neil -
Scott Niedermayer -
Rob Niedermayer -
Mark Recchi -
Mikael Samuelsson -
Rob Scuderi -
Daniel Sedin -
Henrik Sedin -
Alex Tanguay -

Feel free to throw in any other predictions you feel pretty good about, I tried to limit the list a little.

And "retire" is a perfectly acceptable answer.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #89
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
My beef with Sammy is probably more how he was used, but he is so terrible on the point on the PP. I'd love to see that gone. He is a good player though and would be perfect with Crosby or Malkin centering him. He isn't afraid to shoot, he just shoots too much. He will probably get 4 mil somewhere. It sounds extreme but I could see it honestly and someone will not be happy with it.

We have drastically improve in not passing up shots, but we still need more shooters in Pittsburgh. Too many guys playing with Crosby and Malkin like to think they are capable of blind, behind the back, thru the legs passes on give and goes with those 2...and turn it over at the blue line.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #90
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Max Afinogenov - Nashville
Nik Antropov - NJ
Adrian Aucoin - Boston
Francois Beauchemin - Montreal
Martin Biron - Edmonton
Rob Blake - SJ
Jay Bouwmeester - NJ
Mike Cammalleri - Buffalo
Erik Cole - Carolina
Ruslan Fedotenko - Pittsburgh
Marian Gaborik - Montreal
Brian Gionta - Rangers
Bill Guerin - RETIRE
Marty Havlat - Vancouver
Marian Hossa - Edmonton
Nik Khabibulin - LA
Mike Knuble - Ottawa
Saku Koivu - Minnesota
Mike Komisarek - Philly
Ales Kotalik - Chicago
Alexei Kovalev - Washington
Chad Larose - Pittsburgh
Jere Lehtinen - Dallas
Jordan Leopold - Columbus
John Madden - Dallas
Chris Neil - Colorado
Scott Niedermayer - Anaheim
Rob Niedermayer - Anaheim
Mark Recchi - Carolina
Mikael Samuelsson - Calgary
Rob Scuderi - Isles
Daniel Sedin - Vancouver
Henrik Sedin - Vancouver
Alex Tanguay - Toronto

The one thing I am sure of...nobody to Phoenix!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #91
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I guess we'll never know what the Pronger deal really was (or if there even was one), but I'm still surprised the B's couldn't get it done. If it was Kessel and a pick then I'd be amazed if they get better value this offseason. I still think Boston + Pronger win the cup last season hands down, and he'd still be around for another year.

It would've been nice to have Pronger for the playoffs, yes, but I have to believe that there is a good reason why the Bruins didn't make the deal at the time.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #92
Logan
Head Coach

I can assure you the Rangers will not go after Gionta.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #93
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

As I explained to a friend of mine, the sheer number of games played has finally caught up to the Wings. This team has played more hockey than any other team in the NHL over the past 15 years or so. The Wings veterans have been averaging over 100 games per season including playoffs. They looked exhausted in the SCF this year. I still believe that they should have kept Abdelkader and Leino in the games and left Draper/Maltby on the bench.

No way is Samuelsson worth $3m per year, but I could see giving him $2m, maybe $2.5m tops. As DeToxRox said, he was terrible on the point, but that is a Babcock problem.

I still don't see Hossa coming back to Detroit, not for the type of pay cut he would have to take. Someone else will overpay for him, perhaps Chicago?

Quote:
Old 06-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #94
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Dola

If there were any doubts...

NHL.com - News: Holland: Chelios not returning to Wings in 2009-10 - 06/22/2009

Quote:
Old 06-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #95
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I predict the SABRES do:

shit.just overpay some of their own or sign some overpriced no-names and tell everyone how well they did while their good/great prospects languish down in the nether reaches of the minors..

Of course if they sign Bouwmeester I will rejoice but I have a better chance of shitting gold bars than the Sabres actually splashing some cash for greatness.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #96
samifan24
Pro Starter

Where does everyone think Bouwmeester will end up?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #97
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Where does everyone think Bouwmeester will end up?

Most likely in his hometown of Edmonton. If not there, then probably NY Rangers or even Colorado. Just purely guesses on my part though.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #98
bbor
Pro Starter

Max Afinogenov - Toronto
Nik Antropov - Toronto
Adrian Aucoin -Toronto
Francois Beauchemin -Toronto
Martin Biron -Toronto
Rob Blake -Toronto
Jay Bouwmeester - Toronto
Mike Cammalleri - Toronto
Erik Cole -Toronto
Ruslan Fedotenko -Toronto
Marian Gaborik -Toronto
Brian Gionta -Toronto
Bill Guerin -Toronto
Marty Havlat -Toronto
Marian Hossa -Toronto
Nik Khabibulin -Toronto
Mike Knuble -Toronto
Saku Koivu -Toronto
Mike Komisarek -Toronto
Ales Kotalik -Toronto
Alexei Kovalev -Toronto
Chad Larose -Toronto
Jere Lehtinen -Toronto
Jordan Leopold -Toronto
John Madden -Toronto
Chris Neil -Toronto
Scott Niedermayer -Toronto
Rob Niedermayer -Toronto
Mark Recchi -Toronto
Mikael Samuelsson -Toronto
Rob Scuderi -Toronto
Daniel Sedin -Toronto
Henrik Sedin -Toronto
Alex Tanguay -Toronto

This is according to a Toronto newspapers.

These have all been E5'ed by Ek.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #99
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So, not too surprisingly, Mike Babcock was named as the coach for Canada's Olympic hockey team.

I have always had mixed feelings when it comes to international hockey. While I pretty much always route for the US in international competitions, hockey has always been a bit more complicated because there have been so few great US-born Red Wings, so my loyalties tend to be divided.

I loved the fact that Yzerman and Shanahan won gold medals in 2004. I was happy for all the Wings' Swedish contingent in 2008. While I don't expect any Wings players to be on the 2010 Canadian National team, I think I'd really like to see them win because Yzerman is the GM and Babcock's the coach.

In any event, it should be a great tournament. Russia, Sweden and Canada should all be amazingly good teams. It will be really interesting to see what kind of team the US puts together since most of the old guard are officially gone. You thrown in the fact that the games will be in Vancouver and it's a recipe for a amazing series of games.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #100
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
So, not too surprisingly, Mike Babcock was named as the coach for Canada's Olympic hockey team.

I have always had mixed feelings when it comes to international hockey. While I pretty much always route for the US in international competitions, hockey has always been a bit more complicated because there have been so few great US-born Red Wings, so my loyalties tend to be divided.

I loved the fact that Yzerman and Shanahan won gold medals in 2004. I was happy for all the Wings' Swedish contingent in 2008. While I don't expect any Wings players to be on the 2010 Canadian National team, I think I'd really like to see them win because Yzerman is the GM and Babcock's the coach.

In any event, it should be a great tournament. Russia, Sweden and Canada should all be amazingly good teams. It will be really interesting to see what kind of team the US puts together since most of the old guard are officially gone. You thrown in the fact that the games will be in Vancouver and it's a recipe for a amazing series of games.

I think the USA can surprise some people. They're going to be fast and gritty. I suspect they will play no holds barred hockey and mix it up quite a bit with some other countries. It all depends on the goalies at this point. Miller and Thomas can do some damage, but they have to be spectacular for the USA to medal.