Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #151
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Kessel under the media scrutiny of Toronto will be one of the funniest things ever. The kid is a loose cannon.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #152
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Anything that makes the leafs (or redwings) suck more is fine in my book!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #153
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
Anything that makes the leafs (or redwings) suck more is fine in my book!

Do I detect some Stanley Cup envy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #154
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So, reports indicate that next year's cap figure will be: $56.8 million.

So, that's a $100,000 increase over last year. The only reason for the increase is because, pursuant to a clause in the CBA, the NHLPA voted to increase the cap by 5%.

So, in reality, the cap fell by 5%, but the NHLPA's vote kept it pretty much where it was at last year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #155
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Do I detect some Stanley Cup envy?
yes cuz the leafs win every year.....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #156
Danny
Head Coach

I have to watch the NHL draft with an online stream since I don't get Vs. channel.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #157
Logan
Head Coach

Isles take Tavares, Lightning take Hedman.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #158
Logan
Head Coach

Pronger to the Flyers.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #159
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, Flyers fans, tell me about Sbisa.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #160
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Okay, Flyers fans, tell me about Sbisa.

Until Sak gets here, I'll do my best.

He played the first 15-18 games in Philly, and by all accounts was very solid as an 18 year old who had zero expectations of making the team out of camp.

I don't think he did anyone one thing great, but several things pretty well. Good skater, solid positionally, good puck mover. Maybe a fringe top pairing guy, but no doubt in someone's top 4 for a very long time

That is based on 1 or 2 games though.

From all this I take-

Niedermayer must be returning.

Philly thinks they can extend Pronger.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #161
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

If my math is correct....Pronger was at $6.25M, Lupul at $4.5M and Sbisa under $1M on his entry deal.

Add in Emery +$1.5M...are the Flyers at the cap already?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #162
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Double Dola

Poor Joffrey Lupul...must not sleep well whenever he hears Pronger is available for trade.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #163
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Until Sak gets here, I'll do my best.

He played the first 15-18 games in Philly, and by all accounts was very solid as an 18 year old who had zero expectations of making the team out of camp.

I don't think he did anyone one thing great, but several things pretty well. Good skater, solid positionally, good puck mover. Maybe a fringe top pairing guy, but no doubt in someone's top 4 for a very long time

That is based on 1 or 2 games though.

From all this I take-

Niedermayer must be returning.

Philly thinks they can extend Pronger.

Niedermayer is returning to play. No word yet, I believe on if he's returning to the Ducks, as he is an unrestricted free agent. That said, I think most people believe he will be returning to the Ducks.

I think Lupes is making $4.25 M, not that that $250K makes a difference, pretty sure the Flyers are at or near the cap.

I am happy for what Pronger did here with us, but I'm not too broken up seeing him go, especially since he's with an Eastern Conference team.

Lupes coming back? Hrm...well, no doubt he can do some scoring. But my understanding is that, since he left Anaheim, his devotion to defense has been, rather, undevotional. I wonder if Carlyle can beat it back into him that he needs to play both ways. Also, another RW? We needed a C, not a RW. Will there be any room to go after a C if we sign Nieds? I hope so...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #164
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Double Dola

Poor Joffrey Lupul...must not sleep well whenever he hears Pronger is available for trade.

Heh...well, he's actually been traded once without Pronger being involved, too.

When you think about it, we really just got the same deal back we dealt out to get Pronger in the first place.

Lupul, Smid, 2 1sts for Pronger
Pronger for Lupul, Sbisa and 2 1sts.

lol

Old 06-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #165
bhlloy
Coordinator

I was a little disappointed but I'd never heard of Sbisa. If SR's evaluation is on the money, I guess it's a fair trade for both teams. Would have liked to get a better forward than Lupul but Sbisa sounds promising and 2 firsts is pretty nice even if they are towards the low end. For a guy who only really tries in the playoffs (with the Ducks anyway for the last 2 years, I have no doubt he'll play hard in Philly for at least a season) it's a pretty decent haul IMO.

Niedermayer is returning, which allowed the Ducks to pull the trigger on the Pronger deal so quickly.

Last edited by bhlloy : 06-26-2009 at 07:17 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #166
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Niedermayer is returning to play. No word yet, I believe on if he's returning to the Ducks, as he is an unrestricted free agent. That said, I think most people believe he will be returning to the Ducks.

I think Lupes is making $4.25 M, not that that $250K makes a difference, pretty sure the Flyers are at or near the cap.

I am happy for what Pronger did here with us, but I'm not too broken up seeing him go, especially since he's with an Eastern Conference team.

Lupes coming back? Hrm...well, no doubt he can do some scoring. But my understanding is that, since he left Anaheim, his devotion to defense has been, rather, undevotional. I wonder if Carlyle can beat it back into him that he needs to play both ways. Also, another RW? We needed a C, not a RW. Will there be any room to go after a C if we sign Nieds? I hope so...

But you have the Crusher-- Erik Christensen!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #167
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But you have the Crusher-- Erik Christensen!

You know, I know you like to bag on him, and he didn't get off to a good start, but Christensen was okay in the playoffs. Not a top six guy, but decent offensive filler at least, and I suppose he has the potential for more. As long as we don't need to count on that potential, he can be a useful player to have.

The team website for Anaheim says Nieds is coming back and coming back to the Ducks. No details yet, but that's what it says. I guess he won't be testing free agency then (happy about that).

Old 06-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #168
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So, reports indicate that next year's cap figure will be: $56.8 million.

So, that's a $100,000 increase over last year. The only reason for the increase is because, pursuant to a clause in the CBA, the NHLPA voted to increase the cap by 5%.

So, in reality, the cap fell by 5%, but the NHLPA's vote kept it pretty much where it was at last year.

That is true, but the NHLPA has invoked the 5% clause every year; so it really hasn't changed relative to revenue.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #169
bhlloy
Coordinator

CR - do you think the Ducks take a run at resigning Beauchemin now or go after another scorer? I guess it depends a lot on who is willing to pay for a guy coming off knee surgery and how close we feel Mikkelson and Festerling are to being legitimate starting NHL defensemen. I would certainly like him back at his 2008 level, not so much at his 09 playoff level (obviously understandable seeing as he hadn't played all season) In fact if he gets back to 08 level, I'm not sure there is that huge a dropoff from Pronger TBH the way Pronger has played in the regular season.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #170
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
You know, I know you like to bag on him, and he didn't get off to a good start, but Christensen was okay in the playoffs. Not a top six guy, but decent offensive filler at least, and I suppose he has the potential for more. As long as we don't need to count on that potential, he can be a useful player to have.

The team website for Anaheim says Nieds is coming back and coming back to the Ducks. No details yet, but that's what it says. I guess he won't be testing free agency then (happy about that).

Actually, I loved him while he was here. I wasted money on a #16 jersey in 2005!

He's a good 2nd line center on a borderline playoff team. But like you said, you'd rather not have to depend on him

But your words are perfect for him- offensive filler. While he's been good on faceoffs, outside of that he does nothing of value that you'd be able to use him on your 3rd line, and mostly wasted on your 4th line with guys who can't get him the puck. During the regular season, he's nice to stash on your 4th line for the shootout. Actually, the way Miro Satan got used by the Pens in the playoffs would be a perfect scenario for EC until he showed consistency-- give him the odd shift with Ryan and Perry to try and move Getzlaf around.

He's got great offensive tools, but he just doesn't seem like he wants to compete.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #171
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
CR - do you think the Ducks take a run at resigning Beauchemin now or go after another scorer? I guess it depends a lot on who is willing to pay for a guy coming off knee surgery and how close we feel Mikkelson and Festerling are to being legitimate starting NHL defensemen. I would certainly like him back at his 2008 level, not so much at his 09 playoff level (obviously understandable seeing as he hadn't played all season) In fact if he gets back to 08 level, I'm not sure there is that huge a dropoff from Pronger TBH the way Pronger has played in the regular season.

I think they will still prioritize a second line center, so if it's an either or choice, I think Beauch will be sadly allowed to vamoosh.

What they're looking at it right now on the blueline is:

Niedermayer
Whitney
Wisniewski

as the top guys, followed by a host of prospects/young players in:

Sbisa
Mikkelssen
Festerling
Salcido

and then they'll probably bring back Brookbank, and maybe add a cheap vet plugger.

If Beauch will come back at a good price, I think they'll do it, but only if they're confident they will solve the second line center spots.

I am kinda hoping we trade Jiggy for that center. That would allow us to pay Beauch.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #172
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought as well. I would like him back, but I'm pretty sure somebody out there is going to give him some decent money.

Flyers fans on the blogs sound pretty devastated about losing Sbica. That sounds promising to me...
Old 06-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #173
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Really like that MSP fell to the Oilers.

That is all.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #174
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am hearing on the Ducks boards that Pronger sounded pissed in his Versus interview. That true? I feel a little bad, even if people hate on him. There was a part of his game that really worked for us, and he probably deserves more than to be shipped off at the drop of a hat. I hope he does well in Philly.

Turns out Lupes never got rid of his Newport Beach home. He was interviewed from there. I guess that's his permanent home again now.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #175
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Just heard Pronger on TSN and he said Philly was a on "the list" but who knows if that douche was just pandering to the media or what.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #176
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I "like" the Holland pick. Sounds like a good replacement for Tangredi, another big center we shipped off to Pitt in the Whitney deal.

That said, the "like" is in quotes because I really wanted to get Schroeder. Is there any chance he lasts until 21? Please?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #177
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not happy with the Flyers trading Sbisa...not at all. Lupul you can have. The guy is good when he wants to play...but that isn't all the time. His salary of 4.25 mil is a bit too much for his effort.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #178
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I "like" the Holland pick. Sounds like a good replacement for Tangredi, another big center we shipped off to Pitt in the Whitney deal.

That said, the "like" is in quotes because I really wanted to get Schroeder. Is there any chance he lasts until 21? Please?

Thought the Ducks would've been going for a D-man after dealing Pronger and Niedermayer likely hanging on for one more year...two tops.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #179
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Thought the Ducks would've been going for a D-man after dealing Pronger and Niedermayer likely hanging on for one more year...two tops.

Actually, the Ducks have drafted a ton of D-men the past few years with their top picks, guys that may be reaching Anaheim in the next year or two. Organizationally, I am pretty sure they're hurting most on the wing now.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #180
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Come to think of it, if he's healthy, Mitera might make the team next season.

I would like to get Gardner out of college, though, and into the pipeline.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #181
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Fair enough, I'll be the first to admit I'm not very familiar with the Ducks' farm system.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #182
Schmidty
Coordinator

I saw that Red Wing trading down coming. It's not like it matters if it's in the 1st round. They'll find their guys.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #183
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Boy, what happened to all the crazy trading that was supposed to go down?? The Pronger deal was the only one involving players...right?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #184
General Mike
Pro Starter

There's always tomorrow.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #185
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Detroit got decent value to deal down 3 spots. I am not really surprised considering how deep this draft is.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #186
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Pronger always bullshits when he gets traded. It doesn't matter what he thinks about it anyway, as we know from history. If Mrs. Pronger doesn't like it anymore, the trade demand is delivered. Since he is only on a 1 year contract, Philly gets a rental. If they decide to extend the contract, they better talk to Lauren too, else they will get a big surprise.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #187
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As far as Pronger to Philly .. I am promising a bench clearer this year once he just trashes Crosby after the play.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #188
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
As far as Pronger to Philly .. I am promising a bench clearer this year once he just trashes Crosby after the play.

Derian Hatcher is there as an asst coach now. "This is how I got him in the teeth!"

But yeah...difference between 3 seasons ago and now- Eric Godard. Minimal skills, but ape shit crazy.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #189
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Bouwmeester to Calgary for Leopold and a 3rd round pick. Since both Bouwmeester and Leopold (I believe) are UFAs, I guess it's rights for rights plus a third rounder.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #190
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings drafted Landon Ferraro, son of Ray Ferraro. Welcome to the orginization Lil' Parm.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #191
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bouwmeester to Calgary for Leopold and a 3rd round pick. Since both Bouwmeester and Leopold (I believe) are UFAs, I guess it's rights for rights plus a third rounder.

Kevin Allen of USA Today wrote today that he was "being told" Bouwmeester wants to test the market on July 1.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #192
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Bouwmeester better not sign in Calgary...ARGH!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #193
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Bouwmeester better not sign in Calgary...ARGH!!!

Weren't they so far up against the cap last season, they only dressed 18 or 19 guys some games?

I guess they lose Cammalieri and Bertuzzi's salaries, but those guys need replace too.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #194
henry296
College Starter

Penguins draft Ulf Samuelsson's son in the second round.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #195
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Penguins draft Ulf Samuelsson's son in the second round.

Beat me to it

The kid they got in the 3rd is the all time leading scorer in Minnesota HS history...but being said it was against the weakest competition.

73G 62A 135 pts in 31 games is just silly.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-27-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #196
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

If they can sign him they definitely have to make a move to offload another big contract...my guess is Phaneuf because they could land some pretty impressive prospects/picks.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #197
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Love the Ferraro and Tatar picks for Detroit. Both are smallish but possess speed and goal scoring ability. Ferraro is only 17 and Tatar was the kid who (thanks to the amazing goaltending of fellow Wing prospect Tommy McCallum) helped the Slovaks beat the USA in the WJC. I like his game a lot. You can't teach that kind of ability with the puck he has.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #198
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I have read on two different (although neither were Wings related) forums that there is a rumor of Hossa signing a 12 year deal sometime soon, around that 4 mil per year mark. Most of the money would obviously be paid up front and chances are he'd be retired around 38 or 39.

I say do it. I know people are turned off by his playoff performance but he gives you 40 goals a year, he is able to play 20 minutes a night, and he allows for Leino to play on the big team.

Ditch Huds and Sammy, call up Helmer and Leino and while it hurts the cap this year, Holmer will probably be gone soon, as will Draper and Maltby.

I just think if you can get Hossa for 4 - 4.5 mil a year you have to do it. You make the room and live with it.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #199
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I have read on two different (although neither were Wings related) forums that there is a rumor of Hossa signing a 12 year deal sometime soon, around that 4 mil per year mark. Most of the money would obviously be paid up front and chances are he'd be retired around 38 or 39.

I say do it. I know people are turned off by his playoff performance but he gives you 40 goals a year, he is able to play 20 minutes a night, and he allows for Leino to play on the big team.

Ditch Huds and Sammy, call up Helmer and Leino and while it hurts the cap this year, Holmer will probably be gone soon, as will Draper and Maltby.

I just think if you can get Hossa for 4 - 4.5 mil a year you have to do it. You make the room and live with it.

I concur. I just don't know if Hossa would accept such a deal.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #200
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I concur. I just don't know if Hossa would accept such a deal.

Agreed with that. I hope so though because I still like the guy a lot. And although he did struggle, he was also saddled with two walking wounded in the SCF when they played (Dats and Holmer) and he pressed badly. I think he of all people deserves a second chance and is a great fit here.

We shall see though.