Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #301
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Heatley is a done deal, apparently.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #302
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Everyone focus on this one fact: We're going to get to hear Bryan Murray say "Ladislav Smid".
Old 06-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #303
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Penner (fine, don't care), Cogs (may not make it to his potential), Smid (really hate this part), for Heatley (great goal scoring, black hole where his heart should be).
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #304
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Everyone focus on this one fact: We're going to get to hear Bryan Murray say "Ladislav Smid".

GOLD!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #305
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Now some reporters on twitter are saying Heatley may not have waived yet. Keep in mind, he has until 12:01 tonight.

If he backs out now, it will be the worst thing he has ever done to anybody.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #306
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
If he backs out now, it will be the worst thing he has ever done to anybody.

Ummm...no.

Might be doing the Oilers a favor by not agreeing to it. Not sure he would fit in well with that bunch in Edmonton.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-30-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #307
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Well, TSN is now saying Heatley didn't waive his NTC in time. Hmmm.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #308
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Good. I hope he retires.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #309
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Looks like the deal doesn't have to be done by tonight, if the deal is still on...tomorrow by midnight is the deadline the NHL says the Sens have to transfer the roster bonus to which ever team.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #310
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
TSN is reporting that the deadline is actually midnight on July 1st. If the trade occurs prior to midnight then, the $4 million payment can be transferred to the new team.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #311
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am reading on HF that Heatley rejected the deal.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #312
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
I don't think he did yet - he hasn't waived it yet. Sounds like he wants to go to New York, but in the end might accept a trade to Edmonton if they can't get one done tomorrow.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #313
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Yeah, this deal is dead. Heatley did not waive the NTC for a move to Edmonton. The door may be open for other teams, but he is giving the finger to Edmonton.

I'd rather not have him on the Oilers, myself, so this works for me.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-30-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #314
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You know, I dislike the Oilers as much as Flames fans do, but if Heatley doesn't waive his NTC after making such a big fuss about wanting out, that makes him a piece of crap, IMO. I guess this is par for the course for a guy who, IIRC, dodged his civic responsibilties in Atlanta following his conviction, and in general doesn't show up when his team needs it. Edmonton might be better with Heatley the player, but they are without a doubt better without Heatley the man.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #315
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You know, I dislike the Oilers as much as Flames fans do, but if Heatley doesn't waive his NTC after making such a big fuss about wanting out, that makes him a piece of crap, IMO. I guess this is par for the course for a guy who, IIRC, dodged his civic responsibilties in Atlanta following his conviction, and in general doesn't show up when his team needs it. Edmonton might be better with Heatley the player, but they are without a doubt better without Heatley the man.

Not sure that Heatley = man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #316
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

While Heatley has come across like a jerk, you really can't blame him for exercising his contractual rights. The Senators agreeed to including a "no movement" clause in his contract, so they really have no one to blame but themselves.

Still, I feel bad for the Oilers.

The main reason to be pissed at Heatley is because he's depriving us of this:

Quote:
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #317
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I do find it quite odd that players can put in a trade demand, but then get to pick and choose which teams they will go to. An absurdity within sports. If you put in a trade demand, that should be an immediate waiver of any no-trade/no-movement clauses.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #318
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
I do find it quite odd that players can put in a trade demand, but then get to pick and choose which teams they will go to. An absurdity within sports. If you put in a trade demand, that should be an immediate waiver of any no-trade/no-movement clauses.

+1
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #319
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post

While demanding to be traded and then nixing a potential deal because you don't like where you'd end up isn't at all flattering to the player, I don't see any reason why asking to be moved should nullify a contractual right, unless, of course, that's written into the contract.

GM's throw these "no trade" or "no movement" clauses into deals all the time without ever really thinking about the eventual consequences (see, e.g., Toronto at the 2008 trade deadline).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #320
Logan
Head Coach

What's the best site to keep refreshing today...tsn.ca?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #321
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah probably TSN. I have XM Home Ice on and I'll post anything I hear.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #322
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I tend to go to Kuklaskorner.com. It acts as a pretty good clearing house for information.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #323
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Sendins resign with Vancouver. 5 years, 6.1 mil per. Per TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283415
Old 07-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #324
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

that's a lot more reasonable than 12 years.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #325
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Sendins resign with Vancouver. 5 years, 6.1 mil per. Per TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283415

That whole saga has just been cool to see and glad to see it continue at a fairly reasonable rate. I was trying to explain this to one of the guys in the office that doesn't follow hockey about how it would be like the Clippers somehow finding a way to trade up to #2 in this year's draft to get Taylor Griffin and then both playing well for the team for quite a while.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #326
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That whole saga has just been cool to see and glad to see it continue at a fairly reasonable rate. I was trying to explain this to one of the guys in the office that doesn't follow hockey about how it would be like the Clippers somehow finding a way to trade up to #2 in this year's draft to get Taylor Griffin and then both playing well for the team for quite a while.

SI

and for Griggin to be a twin and after several years in the league they'd have EXACTLY the same number of points.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #327
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Ohlund signed with the Lightning
Old 07-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #328
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

7 years....3.5 mil per.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 07-01-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #329
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

TSN is reporting Hossa has been in talks with the Blackhawks. Maybe he can negotiate for the nut that Patrick Sharp took from Lidstrom.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #330
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Kovy back to Montreal.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #331
DeToxRox
Head Coach

On HF guys are saying some station in Montreal is saying Hossa gets 60 mil over 6 years which obviously cannot be right. I bet it's 60 mil over 10 years if nothing else, but how do they do that with Kane and Toews both becoming RFA? That is going to be bad, bad news for the Hawks because if those two are not locked up before they test FA someone will sign them to massive sheets.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #332
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Colton Orr to the Leafs...Maple Leafs is in love.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 07-01-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #333
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

DGB might crash!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #334
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The Chicago media will tear the Hawks front office to shreds if they let Kane or Toews leave. They absolutely love both of those guys.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #335
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

I don't get this...i mean...i understand Burke want to get tougher....but the Leafs had a perfectly good goon that could play 3-5 minutes a game in the minors and they did'nt qualify him.So why spend 4/1M on Orr?Can he play more than 3-5 min a game without hurting you?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #336
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
I don't get this...i mean...i understand Burke want to get tougher....but the Leafs had a perfectly good goon that could play 3-5 minutes a game in the minors and they did'nt qualify him.So why spend 4/1M on Orr?Can he play more than 3-5 min a game without hurting you?

This is why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burke
We require, as a team, proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence. That's how our teams play."

Apparently that goon in the minors does not give the Leafs a proper level of one of those four things.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #337
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
The Chicago media will tear the Hawks front office to shreds if they let Kane or Toews leave. They absolutely love both of those guys.

I am sure the Blackhawks feels that they can sign Hossa to a $6 million type deal and still keep those two. Assuming the cap doesn't drop drastically, I think they could pull it off. Both Toews and Kane are young enough that they could sign them to ridiculously long, front-loaded deals that give them a ton of money but spread it over a long period of time to make it more cap friendly, like the Zetterberg and Franzen deals.

If they were really hard pressed, they could try to trade or waive Brian Campbell.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #338
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
I don't get this...i mean...i understand Burke want to get tougher....but the Leafs had a perfectly good goon that could play 3-5 minutes a game in the minors and they did'nt qualify him.
No, they didn't.

The Leafs have lots of guys who will fight (Ondrus, Deveaux, Newbury). But none of them are very good at it. There's not a single guy in the Leafs system who can look sideways at a legit heavyweight, let alone claim to be one.

(Until now.)

Damien Cox on twitter just said the Leafs have dealt Kubina, but gave no details.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #339
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I heard that Kubina will be delta and Beauchemin will be signed.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #340
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
No, they didn't.

The Leafs have lots of guys who will fight (Ondrus, Deveaux, Newbury). But none of them are very good at it. There's not a single guy in the Leafs system who can look sideways at a legit heavyweight, let alone claim to be one.

(Until now.)

Damien Cox on twitter just said the Leafs have dealt Kubina, but gave no details.

I disagree about Deveaux....

Umm...you read Coxs' twitter?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #341
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Kovy's agent says he's still on the market.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #342
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

TSN Reporting Hossa to Chicago.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #343
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am sure the Blackhawks feels that they can sign Hossa to a $6 million type deal and still keep those two. Assuming the cap doesn't drop drastically, I think they could pull it off. Both Toews and Kane are young enough that they could sign them to ridiculously long, front-loaded deals that give them a ton of money but spread it over a long period of time to make it more cap friendly, like the Zetterberg and Franzen deals.

If they were really hard pressed, they could try to trade or waive Brian Campbell.

The Hawks actually have more cap room to work with than I realized. They were paying Havlat 6m. They'll miss him, but he's not worth 6m. If they can turn that same 6m into a Hossa signing, that would be worth it. Campbell and Huet are both overpaid, both other than that I don't see anything truly cap-threatening on their books.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #344
Logan
Head Coach

Heard Brashear is headed to the Rangers. Gross, especially after what happened with Betts in the playoffs.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #345
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

On other board I am hearing the Hawks are close to dealing Huet.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #346
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Hossa is a 12 year deal with a 5.2 cap hit.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #347
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here's a rumor that makes no sense ..

Havlat: 8 years, 8 mil per to LA. Apparently some radio station reporting it.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #348
Pyser
Pro Rookie

oh good. hockeys gone crazy. 12 years. nice.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #349
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Crap..Ty Conklin to the Blues.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #350
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Hossa is a 12 year deal with a 5.2 cap hit.

That's a very reasonable cap hit for a guy like Hossa. Very reasonable. Probably just a little bit outside of what Detroit could offer.

It will be really interesting to see what all these teams with players with 10+ year contracts look in the next 6-8 years.